Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,808 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:50 PM

Origin Of Ifa - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of Ifa (18440 Views)

Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Origin Of The Igbo / Ifa - The True Religion Of The Yorubas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of Ifa by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:32pm On Mar 26, 2012
rabzy:

It depends on who you refer to as the Hebrews. Abraham and his household were the first to be referred to as the hebrews and Abraham never worshipped any pagan god. He worshipped only one God Yahweh.

The father of Abraham Terah and possibly some of his ancestors after Shem, worshipped pagan gods, but they were from the sumerian/babylonish extraction. They worship principally Nama/Sin which was a moon-god. Dagon is a fish-god and its associated with the philistines and baal is said to be the son of dagan.

It was the corrupted Israelites that later worshipped baal and possibly dagon.

EXACTLY! you just PROVED my point! grin

Even Abrahams parents worshipped Pagan Gods! grin grin

THE WHOLE WORLD WAS PAGAN AND WILL BECOME PAGAN IN THE FURTURE!
cool
Re: Origin Of Ifa by rabzy: 8:35am On Mar 27, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

EXACTLY! you just PROVED my point! grin

Even Abrahams parents worshipped Pagan Gods! grin grin

THE WHOLE WORLD WAS PAGAN AND WILL BECOME PAGAN IN THE FURTURE!
cool

Na you sabi, you had better start serious evangelizing instead of grinning from ear to ear.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by bilms(m): 12:09pm On Mar 28, 2012
lol.. don't deviate the topic pls
Re: Origin Of Ifa by awoE: 3:20pm On Jul 15, 2012
Aboru, aboye

I am a white man who lives in the United States. I was raised Christian, and many of my ancestors where Christian.

One of the tenants of Christianity is that only God in heaven should judge. Colossians 2:16 says, "Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival..."; Matthew 7:1 says, "Do not judge, or you too will be judged"; Luke 6:37 says, "Do not judge, and you will not be judged"; Jesus said to the judgmental crowd in Matthew 7:4, "How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a log in your own eye?" Let us not pass false judgment on traditional religions, let us not pass judgment on those who use traditional religions as a way of working with God.

My own journey has led me to Ifa. Ifa is a very powerful, intelligent, beautiful way of being in close alignment with God. I was actually initiated into an Afa lineage that extended from Togo, and have been studying Ifa using traditional Yoruba techniques. Because I cannot speak fluent Yoruba and have not found an Afa teacher willing to teach, my Ifa teachers have been kind enough to translate Odu verses into the language that I know, and it is these that I am drawing my studies from. Yes, Afa and Ifa have many similarities, the most obvious is that they both extend directly from God. There are differences in the medicines, differences in how each Odu is handled. The Yoruba version has kept more stories relating to the history and divinities specific to Yoruba cultural history, and the Afa's medicines are related directly to the cultural history and the divinities of the peoples who practice. The energy of Ifa/Afa is the same, it is a connection directly to Heaven, directly to the source of everything.

Christianity and Islam have their strengths. Anything that keeps people acting with good character is a good thing. Any practice that keeps people getting along well and respecting their fellow people is a good practice, we are all the creations of God and we all deserve to be able to claim our blessings. It is good that there are many ways to be, many cultures, many paths. This is the way that God has made it, this is the way that it should be.

May God continue to shower infinite blessings upon all of us.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Ifa by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jul 15, 2012
awo E: Aboru, aboye

I am a white man who lives in the United States. I was raised Christian, and many of my ancestors where Christian.

One of the tenants of Christianity is that only God in heaven should judge. Colossians 2:16 says, "Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival..."; Matthew 7:1 says, "Do not judge, or you too will be judged"; Luke 6:37 says, "Do not judge, and you will not be judged"; Jesus said to the judgmental crowd in Matthew 7:4, "How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a log in your own eye?" Let us not pass false judgment on traditional religions, let us not pass judgment on those who use traditional religions as a way of working with God.

My own journey has led me to Ifa. Ifa is a very powerful, intelligent, beautiful way of being in close alignment with God. I was actually initiated into an Afa lineage that extended from Togo, and have been studying Ifa using traditional Yoruba techniques. Because I cannot speak fluent Yoruba and have not found an Afa teacher willing to teach, my Ifa teachers have been kind enough to translate Odu verses into the language that I know, and it is these that I am drawing my studies from. Yes, Afa and Ifa have many similarities, the most obvious is that they both extend directly from God. There are differences in the medicines, differences in how each Odu is handled. The Yoruba version has kept more stories relating to the history and divinities specific to Yoruba cultural history, and the Afa's medicines are related directly to the cultural history and the divinities of the peoples who practice. The energy of Ifa/Afa is the same, it is a connection directly to Heaven, directly to the source of everything.

Christianity and Islam have their strengths. Anything that keeps people acting with good character is a good thing. Any practice that keeps people getting along well and respecting their fellow people is a good practice, we are all the creations of God and we all deserve to be able to claim our blessings. It is good that there are many ways to be, many cultures, many paths. This is the way that God has made it, this is the way that it should be.

May God continue to shower infinite blessings upon all of us.

Aboye borubo (don't know if I got it right lol).

Thanks for sharing your experience with us...

I'm also a newbie in Ifa, and it seems you know more about than I do. grin
Re: Origin Of Ifa by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jul 15, 2012
Where's Chief negro_ntns?
Re: Origin Of Ifa by dragz: 11:36pm On Jul 15, 2012
Chyz*:

Edo will NEVER be yoruba anything! angry

How did Anioma, Urhobo, Isoko, Bini, Esan,Etsako because Yoruba? lol. . .

Yoruba have even gone as far as to start there history based on the coming of an Edo man, Oduduwa. Can you tell me the meaning of Oduduwa in your language? I can in mine.
Y are u dcivin urself,oduduwa is different 4rm oduwa,stop readin ur buks upside down
Re: Origin Of Ifa by bilms(m): 1:12pm On Jul 20, 2012
educate us abt it pls
Re: Origin Of Ifa by Ponron: 9:26am On Jul 28, 2012
I am very happy seein my self among peopl who are very deep in religious knowledge. Talking about Traditional religious..Traditional Religion existed and it was built on sincererity and charismatism in which people lived in peace and harmony due to the fact that there was fear. For example ..Long ago during d time of Great King Shango of Oyo land who came from his mother land in Nupe to head the Oyomesi..he was feared by all and he conquered many so you cant leave the Hausa out of this because deep down in religion we all existed as 1. The Benins with no dispute are from Ife. Back to religion, an example is the Osun Osogbo festival in which the Arugba is an english lady where our religion was termed Pagan. i thank Olodumare dat our culture is raising up this days
Re: Origin Of Ifa by bilms(m): 5:25am On Jul 29, 2012
hum
Re: Origin Of Ifa by IfaOlokun: 6:00pm On Sep 02, 2013
Negro-ntns, amor4ce, Pagan-9ja, Shymmex, Rabzy, you are all wonderful in your submissions and may Ifa gbe gbogbo yin o. I came on nairaland to see what wonderful work you guys have put together and I pray that at some point this will metamorphosize into some Physical gatherings to celebrate our lost religion.

Please Gentlemen, I would like you to stay in touch on this platform, because you have given opportunity for someone like me and several others to learn where they come from and who they really are in a mature, constructive and engaging manner devoid of abuses, curses or lacking intellect. You are truly Omo-Okos.

amor4ce can you get us Negro-tns - he needs to enlighten all of us more on even various aspects of our culture, so that Ise se wa ko ni parun.

Ifa agbe gbogbo wa o, amin, ase edumare !

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Ifa by macof(m): 7:30pm On Sep 05, 2013
Ifa was brought to earth by a deity from heaven called Orunmila, he is one of the few heavenly beings that witness the creation of a man's destiny and thereby knows the future of everyone and what is best for that person. He taught man how to use the odu to communicate with him. He is the Yoruba god of prophesy, wisdom and divination, his priests are called Babalawo and Iyanifa, however he is not the only god in Yoruba. At this point I should refer to them as Orisa. Olodumare is the heavenly father and creator of heaven, he is sometimes called Olorun meaning owner of heaven, he created the Orisas and ordered Obatala(always seen as the first orisa) to create the earth but it was Oduduwa that completed the mission, the land he created was called Ile-Ife meaning home of expansion. Olodumare promised to make Oduduwa king of that land(this was reviled to the people of ife so when they saw Oduduwa on earth they knew him and made him their first king). Olodumare ordered Obatala to mold men with clay and after the molding Olodumare sent the breath of life and the clay came alive. Obatala has drinking problems responsible for his mistakes when molding people born deformed. Orunmila and Esu are the only ones present when a man's ori chooses a destiny and path to follow, it is Esu that checks whether that person is still walking in his path and tests his faithfulness(Esu is not the Christian devil as commonly referred to by some yorubas and he is not evil) then Olodumare gives his ase to that life. Olodumare is not worshipped directly and has no shrine unlike the Orisas eg. Obatala, Sango, Ogun etc.t some orisa are believed to be humans deified after death while some believe they existed as orisa before their time on earth but wanted to live human lives. Sango, 3rd king of Oyo on earth was the greatgrandson of Oduduwa, his father was Oranmiyan and his mother was a Nupe woman from tapa(this however doesn't make Nupe a Yoruba tribe or even Hausa tribe) Oranmiyan defeated them in war and the rivalry between the two tribes continued for centuries. Oduduwa as well as Oranmiyan didn't die but went into the ground and disappeared, Sango also showed unearthly characters and even at death his dead body was taken to the ground by a spirit.
When Oduduwa(some say his son Okanbi) was King at Ife, chiefs from an eastern kingdom came to ife requesting for help about their vacant throne. Oranmiyan was summoned and asked to be king of that land, Oranmiyan who had an aggressive and commanding character however found it difficult to control the land due to the difference in culture he got angry and left the land naming it ile-ibinu meaning home of anger, he had a son there called Eweka and ordered for the throne to be prepared for him cause he realised only a person born of that land could be king, he also left half his army which he brought from ife. Eweka became king and changed the name of the kingdom to bini and the set a new royal dynasty of kings with the title of Oba of Bini and kept honouring the land of his father Ile-Ife, he was buried in ile-ife as did many obas after him.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Ifa by IfaOlokun: 8:28pm On Sep 08, 2013
Thanks Macof for your contribution, it is all part of what has been earlier discussed here.

Negro tns...who I would want to come and discuss more with us the knowledge that he may have stumbled on is apparently not seeing this thread. His writings and submissions have prompted my further research. I have since found out that the we the People called Yoruba's today somewhere in time in history had access to some super-natural powers that transformed the world we live in today - but it will take a funded research to put it to together and get the world to accept it.

Yes, we are from the Nile River / Sudan areas - we created the first civilization in the world and influenced Egyptian Culture, hitherto touted as the oldest in the world before Romans, Greeks, Dark Ages , Iron Ages and Present civilizations. The Nubian people conquered Egypt and ruled for over a 1,000 years before being over throwned by the Assyrians. The Nubians took their religion with them and moved back to their original homelands of Sudan, where they would later encounter waves of migration due to Islamic domination and other factors to present day Ile-Ife and Yoruba land.

You will also see that upon settling in Ile-Ife, the same domination of territories and paying of tributes was revisited in Nupe, Igala, Dahomey, Ghana etc. by the Old Oyo Empire. The white man became lettered before us, this they used to their very pathetic advantage as they distorted history - declaring Africa as a "dark continent", meanwhile peoples in Africa had existed as organized society well before the Europeans and the Americans. African Civilizations is before Egypt, Romans and Greeks.

I hope we can document our history the way it should be and pass it to coming generations.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Ifa by macof(m): 2:19pm On Sep 11, 2013
Ifa-Olokun:
Negro-ntns, amor4ce, Pagan-9ja, Shymmex, Rabzy, you are all wonderful in your submissions and may Ifa gbe gbogbo yin o. I came on nairaland to see what wonderful work you guys have put together and I pray that at some point this will metamorphosize into some Physical gatherings to celebrate our lost religion.

Please Gentlemen, I would like you to stay in touch on this platform, because you have given opportunity for someone like me and several others to learn where they come from and who they really are in a mature, constructive and engaging manner devoid of abuses, curses or lacking intellect. You are truly Omo-Okos.

amor4ce can you get us Negro-tns - he needs to enlighten all of us more on even various aspects of our culture, so that Ise se wa ko ni parun.

Ifa agbe gbogbo wa o, amin, ase edumare !

It seems u are Yoruba or interested in the religion. which ever u should have acquired some knowledge so far and I would like to know more
Re: Origin Of Ifa by bilms(m): 3:10pm On Sep 12, 2013
what's up?
Re: Origin Of Ifa by bilms(m): 3:12pm On Sep 12, 2013
Anyone here who understand the relationship between religion and human rights? I want to take the view of a traditionalist to be publshed in our new paper ...MYRIGHTS (1st human rights newspaper in Nigeria)..

you can add me on fb..discus4now@yahoo.com
Re: Origin Of Ifa by PeterKbaba: 8:53pm On Nov 08, 2013
Re: Origin Of Ifa by macof(m): 9:52pm On Nov 08, 2013
PeterKbaba: Su-Dan
Iba-Dan
Ibi ti Dan ti ba
Were the Tribe of Dan was Sheltered
Therefore, the Tribe of Dan reside among the OYO's and also Su-Dan
After leaving Egypt, Some of the Tribes of Dan resided at a location the named Su-Dan and the rest came with the other tribes of Israel to ile ife. Oranmiyan was the Oba (King) that lead some tribes to present day Oyo ile, were the rest of the Tribe of Dan choose the location called Ibadan to reside, under the ruler ship of Oba Oranmiyan.

May Sango strike u for spreading conscious lies.
Ibadan is pronounced = "ee bah dor n" in most Yoruba dialets
Ibadan= Ilu Eba-Odan= meaning the city junction of Forest and Savanna

Was founded by Lagelu, the commander of Ife army.

at that time Lagelu was the most respected warrior in his city and it's surroundings.

He successfully led his disciples from Ijebu, Oyo and Ife to The new land

An incident happened in Eba-Odan during the Egungun festival, And Lord Sango ordered the destruction of Eba-Odan

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibadan

Oyo was founded by Oranmiyan the Great prince of Ife, after he came back from Benin.

Yoruba have nothing to do with Dan or Judah tribe of Israel. You bastard Jewish slave, don't come to this beautiful thread to derail or distort Yoruba history.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by PAPAAFRICA: 3:04am On Nov 09, 2013
macof:

You bastard Jewish slave, don't come to this beautiful thread to derail or distort Yoruba history.
LOOOOOOL
Re: Origin Of Ifa by PeterKbaba: 10:08am On Nov 09, 2013
macof:

May Sango strike u for spreading conscious lies.
Ibadan is pronounced = "ee bah dor n" in most Yoruba dialets
Ibadan= Ilu Eba-Odan= meaning the city junction of Forest and Savanna

Was founded by Lagelu, the commander of Ife army.

at that time Lagelu was the most respected warrior in his city and it's surroundings.

He successfully led his disciples from Ijebu, Oyo and Ife to The new land

An incident happened in Eba-Odan during the Egungun festival, And Lord Sango ordered the destruction of Eba-Odan

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibadan

Oyo was founded by Oranmiyan the Great prince of Ife, after he came back from Benin.

Yoruba have nothing to do with Dan or Judah tribe of Israel. You bastard Jewish slave, don't come to this beautiful thread to derail or distort Yoruba history.

You sound like a tout... Is it too hard to explain without insult, am I not entitled to my own opinion... Pls act civilized as we omoluabi are known to be next time and stop this you your madness.
I'm Yoruba
If sango was to strike anyone, it should have been those that enslaved and colonized you, but he chose to allow them.
Spit on your dirty face and dirty atitude macof
Re: Origin Of Ifa by macof(m): 1:43pm On Nov 09, 2013
PeterKbaba:

You sound like a tout... Is it too hard to explain without insult, am I not entitled to my own opinion... Pls act civilized as we omoluabi are known to be next time and stop this you your madness.
I'm Yoruba
If sango was to strike anyone, it should have been those that enslaved and colonized you, but he chose to allow them.
Spit on your dirty face and dirty atitude macof

Try spreading lies about the Yoruba next time and I swear to Ori I'll curse u

Bastard jewish slave
Re: Origin Of Ifa by PeterKbaba: 8:59am On Nov 10, 2013
macof:

Try spreading lies about the Yoruba next time and I swear to Ori I'll curse u

Bastard jewish slave

I don't have time sharing words with a nonentity like you macof or whatever you call yourself. You sound like a rejected drunk tout. Act civil next time ok, if truly you re a Yoruba born. This is my last warning to you swine.

Don't derail the thread, it's obvious pe Ori e ko pe. Omo jati jati oshi
Re: Origin Of Ifa by macof(m): 10:46am On Nov 10, 2013
PeterKbaba:

I don't have time sharing words with a nonentity like you macof or whatever you call yourself. You sound like a rejected drunk tout. Act civil next time ok, if truly you re a Yoruba born. This is my last warning to you swine.

Don't derail the thread, it's obvious pe Ori e ko pe. Omo jati jati oshi

It's the Ori of all the lives u have lived and would ever live that is impotent

Foolish Jewish Slave, go suck ur Jewish masters, bloody retaded goat
Re: Origin Of Ifa by PeterKbaba: 2:56pm On Nov 10, 2013
[macof]

IGNORED!!!
Re: Origin Of Ifa by bilms(m): 4:21pm On Nov 15, 2013
why the immaturity?
Re: Origin Of Ifa by ladionline: 5:48pm On Nov 21, 2013
"Bi a bani ka fi asiwere sile pelu oku iya re, O le sun-un je."
-Yoruba.

Asiwere wi li okan ara re pe, ko si Olorun.
-Bible

For those striving to lump Ifa with Atheism, this is a food for thought.
It is taken from Odu Owonrinsogbe,
it goes thus:

Eekun, abara yiyi,
Alufo lorun keregbe,
Adia fun Onikosi Ope,
tii s'Omo Olorun Ansaadi.

Ifa, iwo l'Omo Onikosi Ope,
Ifa, iwo l'Omo Olorun ansaadi,
Ifa gbami o, iwo lo to niigba.
Ifa gbami lowo olokun-gbooro.

This is sacrosanct fixed oral text. When the Atheists kill the gods of their enemies, they will come home and still arouse enmity that never was on the same God they have always fought elsewhere even in their own traditions. The God of their traditions which they were still tolerating now will be the last to go, its a sport that must go on. But here we see, the Yoruba advance Ifa as a "child of the God of our refuge."

The Yoruba were not a nation of Atheists or pantheists, but a nation call by the name of God "KOOTU O JIREH". Hence, the central purpose of all Yoruba sacrifice, erroneously though, is hooked on Kilu le tuBa, KOOTU Se. The Yoruba were trying to please Iba or "father", so that their country might triumph. this was an old saying of the feudal epoch that still survive to our time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Origin Of Ifa by bilms(m): 10:01pm On Aug 04, 2014
angry angry angry angry
Re: Origin Of Ifa by PenSniper: 9:49pm On Aug 06, 2014
Chyz2:

Stop adding Edo. Speak for your own people. Its funny how you say that the people called "Yoruba" today dont know their own history but you do,lol. I guess you are the progenitor. Yorubas were never one. Dont you forget that. Yoruba is not a race and never will be one. It's also a shame how you regard a sultan of sokoto's words of orgination of some of your people and rubbish the beliefs of orgination that your people came up with. Sounds like an inferiority complex to me. A fulani man knows "your" history better than you.In fact, you might as well say he knows your history and you dont. cheesy

You have the problem of arguing behind the veil of hatred and deep-rooted myopic tendency hence cannot discern objectivity in his points. Does being a sultan make one less of a human being whose words can be accepted ? A sultan with the right perspective, in the right place at the right time, can stumble on a fact of history. Anyone who refers to Edo in regards to Yoruba history is on course except you want to adulterate history. Except you drop your ingrained arrogance, pompousity, pride and superiority complex, you will do well not to dabble into intellectual discourse because you will simply take it to gutter level.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by PenSniper: 10:12pm On Aug 06, 2014
NegroNtns: You said my claim that "early Bini kings were buried in Ife" was a lie.

So I'm asking you that if that was a lie, how would you classify the claim that "early Lagos kings were buried in Bini"?

I advise you to ignore this fellow for what he is - an incorrigible ignoramus. Only a demented or mischevious person would deny a fact of history - that early Bini kings were buried in Ife. Apart from the fact that he deliberately misinterpretes your statement to suit his twisted ego, he lacks civility, finese and decorum. He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool, shun him.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Ifa by gawu1: 6:58pm On Aug 08, 2014
NegroNtns: The Yoruba in Nigeria is a commonwealth of Nations. A race of people with roots in Afro Asia.

Ijesha, Awori, Egba, Edo, Itsekiri.

Yoruba is the umbrella or the aggregator of the different nations.

There are also others in Yorubaland who are of indigenous roots but trhough war and conquest became tributaries of Yorubaland.

The Yorubas of today contain the nations of Egba, Ijebu, Itsekiri, Edo, Ajashe, Ilaje, Ijesha, and so on.

For example, the Ijebus are Canaanites of old. The Edos are also Canaanites. The Oyos are Kushites of Old and so is Ife the Kushites of old.

There are several independent researchers, none of them with any personal interest in Yoruba who have clearly said that Yoruba is an Afro Asia root. Even a former Caliph (Sultan) of Sokoto even wrote a book in which he clarified it.

You are correct there are many Yorubas who do not know the history and need to know. So I'm glad that they are here to learn it.
My brother, you missed the point here by saying Yoruba are Afro-Asiatic by origin. Historical evidence has proved that the language the Yoruba speak is Kwa subgroup of Niger-Congo language family. In this group are other like Igbo, Igala, igbera, Fulani, Gwari etc.
According to Ade Obayomi, this group of Niger-Congo speaker have no ancestral home they could be traced to other than niger-benue confluence area. Although, when the speakers of the Kwa started separating and became un intelligible from each other is not known, evidence from linguistic and archeological sources suggested that their dispersal might have started 6,000 years ago.
By the way, the Yoruba like other languages in Nigeria area are of negro stock which archeological evidence has since proved it origin can not be traced beyond Africa. The earliest of negro remain was excavated around khartoun-Timbkutuon area of modern Sudan-Mali.
In nutshell, the problem with we Nigerians is that we like the knowledge of our history, thus all the bickering we are seeing today.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Ifa by BabaSola12: 2:47am On Aug 11, 2014
When will we stop ascribing Traditional culture and Oracles to non-Afrikans.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by BabaSola12: 3:08am On Aug 11, 2014
I hate to break the news to the whites here, but it is genetically and spiritually impossible to receive ase from Our divinities. I could no more expect to recieve a divinity in a Japanese shinto shrine or Celtic lodge.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Global Staying Power Of Yoruba Language and Culture- Reno Omokri / Emir Of Gaya, Ibrahim Abdulkadir Is Dead / The Fundamentals Of Odinani (Igbo Religion)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.