Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,324 members, 7,780,806 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:44 PM

Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once (29090 Views)

The Bad Behaviour Of Some Nigerians Abroad / How Nigerians Abroad Complain About Loneliness Amazes Me / Nigerians Abroad, How Do You Cope With The Coronavirus Issue? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by ibechris(m): 1:41pm On Sep 14, 2022
Canadaornothing:
Let me leave this country with my children first and see if I will ever come back for anybody. If you want to see my face, you know where I am

We are all here.

Going to where?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Ashirioluwa: 1:42pm On Sep 14, 2022
Lekan239:
how many of the migrant even earn upto this 8k$ per month. Is it that easy

Majority of our people are just doing regular jobs to make ends meet. $15 to $20 hourly job. This money is big in Nigeria but it is nothing to them when you take everything into consideration. You end up with about 40 to 45k salary at the end of the year. That’s average of $3300 to $3750 per month. When take away compulsory deductions like Federal, state, county tax, medical insurance and union dues. Also voluntary deduction like employee 401(K) pension scheme. Then they end up going home with average of 2.5 to 3k a month.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by sulaak(m): 1:42pm On Sep 14, 2022
SergeantTitus:
Why do nigerians living abroad fail to come back to Nigeria even for Important things like their parents death, burial, brother's wedding etc? I also find it weird some remain there for 15, 20, 30 years without ever visiting home even if na just once.

What is the relevance of coming to your parent's funeral when they are already dead? Your duty is to support them when they are alive and provide the funds to support the burial, prayers and the cost of burial. Why spend an extra 2000-3000 to be there?

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Lekan239(m): 1:43pm On Sep 14, 2022
Ashirioluwa:

Majority of our people are just doing regular jobs to make ends meet. $15 to $20 hourly job. This money is big in Nigeria but it is nothing to them when you take everything into consideration. You end up with about 40 to 45k salary at the end of the year. That’s average of $3300 to $3750 per month. When take away compulsory deductions like Federal, state, county tax, medical insurance and union dues. Also voluntary deduction like 401k. Then they end up going home with average of 2.5 to 3k a month.
exactly. Most people won't understand this no matter how you explain.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by gustavo27(m): 1:43pm On Sep 14, 2022
Several factors are attached to it. Part of it is fear of unknown gunmen
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by mykeni: 1:44pm On Sep 14, 2022
You will understand when you get there
SergeantTitus:
Why do nigerians living abroad fail to come back to Nigeria even for Important things like their parents death, burial, brother's wedding etc? I also find it weird some remain there for 15, 20, 30 years without ever visiting home even if na just once.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by qtguru(m): 1:45pm On Sep 14, 2022
SergeantTitus:

Nobody is asking you to come back. Just try see your family and go back . Some of them won't even come for their parents burial . I find it weird dissociating yourself from your family for 25 30 40 years.

I agree
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by LienwaltAbel(m): 1:47pm On Sep 14, 2022
gibsonwales:

$3000 at N700 to a dollar is N2,100,000 .... Nawa for your calculation oó ���. Sarcasm, maybe
Parallel market is not fx baba. No dey misyarn
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by 2Radii: 1:47pm On Sep 14, 2022
Ashirioluwa:

Majority of our people are just doing regular jobs to make ends meet. $15 to $20 hourly job. This money is big in Nigeria but it is nothing to them when you take everything into consideration. You end up with about 40 to 45k salary at the end of the year. That’s average of $3300 to $3750 per month. When take away compulsory deductions like Federal, state, county tax, medical insurance and union dues. Also voluntary deduction like 401k. Then they end up going home with average of 2.5 to 3k a month.
this ur statement is not well composed

Pls edit

And pls Wen u re done tag me so that I can reread
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Amalekki: 1:47pm On Sep 14, 2022
There is something called "mind your own business'. People naturally do what works best for them. There is no single reason.

Flights coming to Nigeria are almost always fully booked and most of the passengers are Nigerians abroad. Some don't even go to their parent's 'homes' outside of cities with airports and this is often with their parent's consent to avoid evil village people and plain users. I know someone that comes to Nigeria at least twice a year without stepping out of Lagos to his home state, not even for any family burial. Safety first.

Also, many Nigerians abroad don't make noise or do social media flaunting. It's the struggling ones that tend to do that to mask their reality. There is hardly a weekend you don't have multiple Nigerian destination wedding filled with Nigerians flying into the Carribean Islands especially Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, Costa Rica etc.

Yes, some don't have papers. Some are struggling. There is no single bucket to fit all into. We have the rich, the okay, and the struggling as we have everywhere, being abroad does not change that.

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Highman56: 1:53pm On Sep 14, 2022
SergeantTitus:

Nobody is asking you to come back. Just try see your family and go back . Some of them won't even come for their parents burial . I find it weird dissociating yourself from your family for 25 30 40 years.
just because you have a good family doesn't mean everyone has a good family.

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by namo77: 1:54pm On Sep 14, 2022
Citizenship application requires you stay in the country for some years (number of years depends on the country)

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by LienwaltAbel(m): 1:55pm On Sep 14, 2022
Why should they come back? After choosing the wrong idiots to rule you, do you expect them to stick their heads into the crocodile's mouth because their parents are dead? Let the dead bury the dead abeg.

This is unrelated, but please, if you are trying to go abroad, at least have a skill and a clearly thought plan. You can't jump on a plane or travel through the desert on first impulse and tell everyone you're going to hustle. Hustle gini? The only jobs that are there for "hustlers" are small jobs that can sustain you. That is living on crusts and crumbs.

Inever go there yet, but I don tire to dey here foreigners complain. Una don spoil contrey finish una wan come go spoil another contrey, block the route to japa. Nawa for you

9 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by zomby(m): 1:58pm On Sep 14, 2022
SergeantTitus:

Because absolutely nothing works in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by etrange: 2:02pm On Sep 14, 2022
SergeantTitus:

Some of them are still illegal immigrants. So they wouldn't be able to return if they go to Nigeria. Some are abroad on a refugee status. A refugee is not allowed to visit thier home country. Some have family members and the cost of flight tickets for everyone plus thr cash at hand to settle those at home could be discouraging. Some want to really make it before going home so that those at home will not laugh at them. Some don't have anything to go home to. Then you have the last category of people, those awaiting a certain status (green card/PR or citizenship) and just want to complete the required number of days for this status before going back to Nigeria.

Only a very few first generation immigrants would refuse to go to Nigeria on the basis of "I hate that country". Forget everything we write here. Once you've stayed abroad for a few years, you'd miss Nigeria despite the fact that nothing works there.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by ednut1(m): 2:03pm On Sep 14, 2022
ibechris:

The truth is that majority are suffering.
cannot be classed as suffering as they are mostly not starving and enjoy high standard of living

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Moikiitos: 2:03pm On Sep 14, 2022
As for mi, sha na every year me dey visit home expect during the 2020/2021. But again it depends who you left behind. E no easy too because you gatta plan financially beforehand becoz if you don't, your debt no go easy...(bills, rent...dey wait for you...)

SergeantTitus:

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by 00FFT00(m): 2:03pm On Sep 14, 2022
SergeantTitus:

Which family?.

The ones you worked off your behind to stand on a better footing in life, but you can't trust them to honestly run an errand for you without ripping you off?.

Those family members, even in the first degree, may not hesitate to end your life for daring to ask after the things you had acquired and kept in trust with them?.

The same family who will have you kidnapped and remorselessly collect Ransome on your head?.

You need to understand that most Nigerians do not see "Abroad people" as humans. For a good number of our people, diasporas are just decadent people who are just enjoying life "over there". They do not work for the money they have and can be defrauded.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Focusmind: 2:03pm On Sep 14, 2022
Nigeriaiscasted:

What of those that studies Diplomacy, Law And Global Change?? Do they fare any better. Any respond given will be appreciated. I am applying for this into conventry uni

Let me help you. Please abort mission on that program except if you are from a wealthy home. Leave all these fancy courses with names. I will rather you pick Social work, Community and gender studies, if you are that interested in social sciences. If you are lucky with any health care related course, please go for it. Dont waste your money in any other social science course apart from the ones I mentioned. Good luck!

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by nnamdiosu(m): 2:03pm On Sep 14, 2022
SergeantTitus:

Flight to and fro: 2 to 3 million (varies)

Accomodation, transportation, feeding , logistics, etc: 200 to 400k (varies)

Beggy beggy friends and relations: 100 to xyzk

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Ashirioluwa: 2:05pm On Sep 14, 2022
2Radii:
this ur statement is not well composed

Pls edit

And pls Wen u re done tag me so that I can reread
401k is the name given to government pension scheme in US

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by styles2009: 2:06pm On Sep 14, 2022
2Radii:
Doctor in the UK and could not erect his structure for 15years?? How he take dey spend his money??

To come erect a structure, he would only sleep in it for 30days in a year? Many are not building cos they don't need it in 10 years time and building one with relatives and family plotting a way to take them out for their properties, why put yourself in harms way? Moreover they are planning their lives abroad with a good medical care and excellent pension system.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by kunkelhanspeter(m): 2:07pm On Sep 14, 2022
2Radii:
Doctor in the UK and could not erect his structure for 15years?? How he take dey spend his money??
I was surprised he already proof the building when I start my secondary school they were still working on it when I finish after 6 six .
I will never forget the day I clear the compound on a normal day I suppose charge 500-1k I was happy hoping he will blessed me the fool gave me #80
Old paper #20 note 4 I almost shed tears � I even injured myself. Around 2004 or 05.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by 2Radii: 2:09pm On Sep 14, 2022
Ashirioluwa:

401k is the name given to government pension scheme in US
ehenn, aaah ok
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by lagonovo: 2:09pm On Sep 14, 2022
Why are these retarded threads about Nigerians abroad always resurfacing? If you got deported, face your new reality and leave those abroad alone. As you are typing here, many Nigerians are on their way home, go to the airport and see many arriving and many leaving. As you have many homebased who can't travel from their workplace/home in Abuja, Lagos, Port Harcourt to their home states or village so you have the same abroad for one reason or the other.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by styles2009: 2:12pm On Sep 14, 2022
Amalekki:
There is something called "mind your own business'. People naturally do what works best for them. There is no single reason.

Flights coming to Nigeria are almost always fully booked and most of the passengers are Nigerians abroad. Some don't even go to their parent's 'homes' outside of cities with airports and this is often with their parent's consent to avoid evil village people and plain users. I know someone that comes to Nigeria at least twice a year without stepping out of Lagos to his home state, not even for any family burial. Safety first.

Also, many Nigerians abroad don't make noise or do social media flaunting. It's the struggling ones that tend to do that to mask their reality. There is hardly a weekend you don't have multiple Nigerian destination wedding filled with Nigerians flying into the Carribean Islands especially Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, Costa Rica etc.

Yes, some don't have papers. Some are struggling. There is no single bucket to fit all into. We have the rich, the okay, and the struggling as we have everywhere, being abroad does not change that.

Please louder, they expect those abroad to announce their movement on SM.
My schoolmate saw me under bridge in Ikeja in 2020 and was shocked, yes na me be that, I dey Lagos���.

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by RightToReject(m): 2:13pm On Sep 14, 2022
CaptainZubi:
Most of them no get money. No let anybody deceive you, obodo oyinbo no easy. The system is designed to make you work your black ass like a slave for someone, get paid with one hand then the government use another hand to collect am. Some people have lived abroad for 20 years but can't even boast of $15000 as savings. People who go there and make it big with riches they start building mansions back in nigeria are into one shady deal or the other. No let them deceive you, the money no legit. Usually wire wire, BEC, drugs, robbery and all forms of fraud.

The way bumpkins like you are always quick to project yourselves on others and cast aspersions on them unjustly is both irritating and funny.

Bumpkin, no, not everyone who has been privileged to make it big within a few months or years after traveling abroad made it through dubious means. What you don't know will always be bigger than you.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Sixfiguresmart(m): 2:14pm On Sep 14, 2022
One story does not fit all. You Uncle is a 1 out of 100 storyline.
I hold a foreign nationality, yes I live in Nigeria cos I have my investments here. Unfortunately, I have to work to support my business. Not to mention the hundred of friends that I know who have had their lifesavings swallowed in this shithole.

I will never recommend Nigeria for someone without a support system here. Many Nigerians from diaspora who make it here have support line that enable them achieve success. A friend of mine got a good wife who built this empire in real estate. Another is into importation and doing well cos his family get involved. But, to rely on government projects to survive is a risky venture.

If your uncle had dared what he dared in the 90s today, he would be shocked. Those Indians and Chinese are given preferences over Nigerians. You can't compete with them because the hurdles are from the government and the culture. In Abuja, you can find a Lebanese Muslim achieve success faster and open more doors than you. They do not have the tribal hindrances that we have. Everyone identifies with them as opposed to you being denied a chance because you are Yoruba or Igbo.

If you have ever lived in a working system, the idea of Nigeria will surely suck. Nothing works. There is no control. Not to deter whoever wants to take the chance, but this your uncle's story is not advisable in this day and age.
Eriokanmi:
Paali is the reason. During my school days, some guys who refused to come back had no paali( green card) . They attended the first interview with their arrangee wife, they couldn't pass. They attended the second one, they couldn't pass and once thus happens, just be prayerful cos its nearly mission impossible. You can't come home when you've got no papers and if they try it, they'd only be telling stories about how they once lived in America to their children cos they'd never smell there again except they won lottery.

That said, there's no better place like Nigeria. I always say this. Even those bragging am with am American today know deep down their mind that Nigeria is better place to live. As you're japaing, Indians, Chinese, etc are thronging Nigeria for opportunities.

In early 1990s, my uncle left walmart job and came back home. He wrote to a solar company in america to be their agent in Nigeria. That time, no atm, no GSM. The company first rejected his application but invited him.2 weeks after, to take their training and reconsidered him but told him he must come to Nigeria and install demos of their solar inverter. He approached the CBN on arrival but they didn't allow him. They said they had 3 standby generator but he told them....butnits free and he'd remove it later, just for them to try it out. Reluctantly they permitted him.

Months later, all the 3 generators at the cbn packed up due to extensive usage. One of the grids collapsed and affected cbn HQ for wks. The day the 3rd gen collapsed, the directors were panicking, rushed to the IT dept only to find staff working. The solar inverter saved their system from crashing cbn now recommended their solar inverter called Trace inverter to all commercial banks when atm came to Nigeria, trace later changed to Xantrex, anyone can Google xantrex engineering.

My uncle today is a multi billionaire. Cbn also installed the products at all cbn branches nationwide. Those mocking him back then in America are still struggling with life and living.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Nigeriaiscasted: 2:18pm On Sep 14, 2022
Focusmind:

Let me help you. Please abort mission on that program except if you are from a wealthy home. Leave all these fancy courses with names. I will rather you pick Social work, Community and gender studies, if you are that interested in social sciences. If you are lucky with any health care related course, please go for it. Dont waste your money in any other social science course apart from the ones I mentioned. Good luck!

Mission aborted

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by KingAzubuike(f): 2:22pm On Sep 14, 2022
HRprof:

Who said they buy big cars for the wife and himself ??
Abroad don’t leave life like Nigerians. They have good transportation systems sometimes they do not consider cars as a necessity plus the cost attached to owning a car like insurance etc .
The problem is too much bills and tax which most of us don’t pay here.
Go countries like Canada or USA no get car now na die you go die. What you said is only applicable in countries like Netherlands and most parts of Europe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Nwunyeodogwu(f): 2:23pm On Sep 14, 2022
[color=#006600][/color]
Eriokanmi:
Paali is the reason. During my school days, some guys who refused to come back had no paali( green card) . They attended the first interview with their arrangee wife, they couldn't pass. They attended the second one, they couldn't pass and once thus happens, just be prayerful cos its nearly mission impossible. You can't come home when you've got no papers and if they try it, they'd only be telling stories about how they once lived in America to their children cos they'd never smell there again except they won lottery.

That said, there's no better place like Nigeria. I always say this. Even those bragging am with am American today know deep down their mind that Nigeria is better place to live. As you're japaing, Indians, Chinese, etc are thronging Nigeria for opportunities.

In early 1990s, my uncle left walmart job and came back home. He wrote to a solar company in america to be their agent in Nigeria. That time, no atm, no GSM. The company first rejected his application but invited him.2 weeks after, to take their training and reconsidered him but told him he must come to Nigeria and install demos of their solar inverter. He approached the CBN on arrival but they didn't allow him. They said they had 3 standby generator but he told them....butnits free and he'd remove it later, just for them to try it out. Reluctantly they permitted him.

Months later, all the 3 generators at the cbn packed up due to extensive usage. One of the grids collapsed and affected cbn HQ for wks. The day the 3rd gen collapsed, the directors were panicking, rushed to the IT dept only to find staff working. The solar inverter saved their system from crashing cbn now recommended their solar inverter called Trace inverter to all commercial banks when atm came to Nigeria, trace later changed to Xantrex, anyone can Google xantrex engineering.

My uncle today is a multi billionaire. Cbn also installed the products at all cbn branches nationwide. Those mocking him back then in America are still struggling with life and living.

Finally someone that agrees with me. Most of my aunts and uncles are abroad but the richest among all of them is the one that remained in Nigeria. Abroad is over rated but Nigerians no Dey gree and if you try to advise them they’ll say you’re jealous so these days I just pretend to be happy for them
By the way are you single? I’m looking for a rich man to marry grin grin grin

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

2-Day Hailstorm Hits Katsina State (Photos) / 2 Months Ago Vs Now: Guy Recovers From Deadly Trailer Accident That Killed All / Plane Crashes In Waller County, Texas. All 21 Passengers Safe (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.