Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,395 members, 7,781,135 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:33 AM

Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? (35853 Views)

How Many States Have You Visited in Nigeria And Which State Did You Enjoy Most? / How Many States Have You Visited In Nigeria? / 12 Most Beautiful Cities In Africa 2018 (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by MadamOk(f): 4:26pm On Sep 17, 2022
Lagos, delta, akwa ibom and kano

1 Like

Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by MIGHTYMAN82(m): 4:52pm On Sep 17, 2022
OVB123:
You smoked weed to place ibadan before PH. Mtcheeew!
bitakwa leeh
Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by Ologbo147: 4:53pm On Sep 17, 2022
saintkeppy:

Okay my guy, please note I understand you, the city is large but a bit complicated if not properly explained as you just did, it is safe to say that atleast the land on which the Edo State Government House is located there's a local government that owns it &it is within the territory even though the name of the LGA is what I wanted to know cos its is not popular among non-indigenes like me smiley

Even though Benin city is spread into 5LGAs, &the State government offices &Infrastructures are spread among the 5 LGAs. What I was trying to say is at least the state capital is represented by one of the 5LGAs out of the total 18LGAs the state has, while maintaining the Status Quo. Because it will sound somehow that Edo state capital is 5LGAs, Note all State Capitals in Nigeria is 36 out of the total 774 LGAs in the country.

It therefore means Benin with 5LGAs may have two Federal Lawmakers @the Green Chamber, Abuja.

Its just like Port Harcourt in Rivers State.
We have Port Harcourt City(PHALGA)
Spread to part of Okrika LGA.
But the greater part of Port Harcourt city is domiciled in Obio Akpor LGA where much of the Taxes paid by huge businesses&multinational companies are transferred to Obio Akpor Local Government account grin while the State Capital Port Harcourt only earns what is within their territory.

The present Governor, Nyesome Ezebunwo Wike was once a Local Government Chairman of Obio Akpor, he was like a Governor then becos of too much money in Obio Akpor cheesy

Infact anybody contesting for Chairman of Obio Akpor must be very tight&careful cos it's always a struggling thing in election. Obio Akpor LGA is among the Top10 in the country interms of IGR.

Other adjoining LGAs like Obigbo, Ikwerre&Eleme also tap from the spill over of Port Harcourt wink cos many oil&Gas coys prefers to setup their yards in this LGAs proximity to Port Harcourt inorder to decongest the city.

In Cross River State, it is Calabar Municipal&Calabar-South LGAs, forming one big city, but the main State Capital is Calabar Municipal council headed by a Mayor, all State Government administrative functions &infrastures like Government House, House of Assembly, State Secretariat for civil servant, Int'l Airport, Stadium is in this Municipality, while UNICAL is between Calabar Municipal council& Calabar South LGA.
Calabar-South LGA exist as a separate LGA administered by "Chairman" cool
Most of the ancient precolonial buildings are found here.
Tax from businesses are paid differently to each council's accounts.

Calabar is expanding to adjoining LGAs of Odukpani & Akpabuyo which were part of Old Calabar pre independence.
Ikeja is 49 km square. It is not a proper city abeg, the local government in which the government house is located is Oredo. Even at that Oredo is still times five the size of Ikeja, only Oredo is about the same size with Asaba. the closest in size to Ikeja I know should be owerri and owerri is still two times the size. If it were to be a capital in another state, would you even mention it, would it be of repute at all

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by saintkeppy(m): 6:15pm On Sep 17, 2022
Ologbo147:
Ikeja is 49 km square. It is not a proper city abeg, the local government in which the government house is located is Oredo. Even at that Oredo is still times five the size of Ikeja, only Oredo is about the same size with Asaba. the closest in size to Ikeja I know should be owerri and owerri is still two times the size. If it were to be a capital in another state, would you even mention it, would it be of repute at all

Lagos state ranks 36 interms of size, the smallest state in Nigeria with a size of only 3,345 square kilometers. But the biggest cosmopolitan City in Nigeria. Ikeja is small is not anybody's fault, it was just carved out to be a capital of a City State like Lagos, but as long as it has Districts that can accommodates basic state Infrastructures
& its economically viable, it is good to go.

Now back to Benin City:
Since the Edo State Government House, &Oredo Local Government council headquaters is in Benin City, then I'm okay with that, This is exactly what I wanted to know. The other 4LGAs can exist as part of Greater Benin City.

The main Benin City's difference is just the name "Oredo" that happens to be the LGA it falls under, unlike some State Capital that retains it name same as Local Government Area name.

E.g Owerri as State Capital of IMO State is also known as Owerri Municipal just to differentiate the Capital from other part of Owerri being Owerri south or Owerri North as the case maybe forming Greater Owerri

My own State Capital is Uyo &it's known as Uyo Local Government Area thats why i thought
Benin City will be Benin City local Government council or Benin City Council to indicate as State Capital as well, the reason for this long arguments. Like I said before the other 4LGAs forms part of Greater Benin City, it was created into LGAs for Rapid development of Benin Kingdom.

I'm sure there will be New Benin City starting from a virgin sections of the other 4LGAs, then share them into districts, thats if Edo State Government is serious about that, while the Old Benin City remains in Oredo LGA.
Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by Ologbo147: 6:30pm On Sep 17, 2022
saintkeppy:

Lagos state ranks 36 interms of size, the smallest state in Nigeria with a size of only 3,345 square kilometers. But the biggest cosmopolitan City in Nigeria. Ikeja is small is not anybody's fault, it was just carved out to be a capital of a City State like Lagos, but as long as it has Districts that can accommodates basic state Infrastructures

Now back to Benin City:
Since the Edo State Government House, &Oredo Local Government council headquaters is in Benin City, then I'm okay with that, This is exactly what I wanted to know. The other 4LGAs can exist as part of Greater Benin City.

The main Benin City's difference is just the name "Oredo" that happens to be the LGA it falls under, unlike some State Capital that retains it name same as Local Government Area name.

E.g Owerri as State Capital of IMO State is also known as Owerri Municipal just to differentiate the Capital from other part of Owerri being Owerri south or Owerri North as the case maybe forming Greater Owerri

My own State Capital is Uyo &it's known as Uyo Local Government Area thats why i thought
Benin City will be Benin City local Government council or Benin City Council to indicate as State Capital as well, the reason for this long arguments. Like I said before the other 4LGAs forms part of Greater Benin City, it was created into LGAs for Rapid development of Benin Kingdom.

I'm sure there will be New Benin City starting from a virgin sections of the other 4LGAs, then share them into districts, thats if Edo State Government is serious about that, while the Old Benin City remains in Oredo LGA.
My brother I have tried for you, this is my very last reply to you, I have time and time again proven to you that Benin city has been 1200 km square from the 1500 inception by quoting a european excerpt about Benin city for you describing the size of Benin city as "30 main street and 120 intersecting street" I further informed you about how it is impossible to have those in what is known as Oredo today. I gave an instance of the thirty main street effortlessly including Uselu which is in Egor local government, and Eyean which is in Uhuwande.

If we are talking about greater Benin city, Benin city will be over 2500 km square. There are many communities that has incorporated into Benin city properly that I did not add. It has eaten far beyond that 10% in a large lga like Ovia north east. It has eaten and incorporated Evbotubu, Ugbiyioko, Oghede, Isihor,Oluku,Iguosa, Egbean, Iguadolor, Uholor, Okhun ,Use,etc and each are all bigger than Ikeja with a population of nothing less than 50,000 each. If you are in Benin city, you should know where these communities are and People ordinarily associate it with Benin city. In the last 15 years, it has incorporated into Benin city properly forming a cornurbation.

The literal meaning of Oredo means center of Benin city

It is either you are dumb or pretending to be

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by Tonim(f): 6:31pm On Sep 17, 2022
Olat4421:
Have any one being to Abeokuta. It is indeed a very decent city

Agreed cheesy

Ex-Gov Ibikunle Amosun really tried in Abeokuta.

I love Ibara, Kuto, Oke-Mosan, Oke-Ilewo etc. Very nice.

Abeokuta

2 Likes

Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by saintkeppy(m): 6:45pm On Sep 17, 2022
Ologbo147:
My brother I have tried for you, this is my very last reply to you, I have time and time again proven to you that Benin city has been 1200 km square from the 1500 inception by quoting a european excerpt about Benin city for you describing the size of Benin city as "30 main street and 120 intersecting street" I further informed you about how it is impossible to have those in what is known as Oredo today. I gave an instance of the thirty main street effortlessly including Uselu which is in Egor local government, and Eyean which is in Uhuwande.

If we are greater talking about greater Benin city, Benin city will be over 2500 km square. There are many communities that has incorporated into Benin city properly that I did not add. It has eaten far beyond that 10% in a large lga like Ovia north east. It has eaten and incorporated Evbotubu, Ugbiyioko, Oghede, Isihor,Oluku,Iguosa, Egbean, Iguadolor, Uholor, Okhun ,Use,etc and each are all bigger than Ikeja with a population of nothing less than 50,000 each. If you are in Benin, you should know where these communities are and People ordinarily associate it with Benin. In the last 15 years, it has incorporated into Benin city properly forming a cornurbation.

The literal meaning of Oredo means center of Benin

It is either you are dumb or pretending to be

Hey! hey!! It doesn't call for insults, have i insults you before? so stop name calling, you can choose to ignore my mentions, alright. I got the point i wanted, so Stay cool in your Ancient Benin City!
Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by udeh3(m): 10:39pm On Sep 17, 2022
Harryj12:
ring road, 5 junction, all the red roof school even the okpepe road that host the marathon race just to mention a few was all done by oshiomhole, that is one man just imagine we had 2 governor that worked dont you think edo will be better

Please, where in Ring road? Same Ringroad that was such a beauty to behold before Oshio became a governor. And he scattered and left it after Hugh money was budgeted for it. The roof of the schools were done by EDOSPADEC and not the state government. Okpepe is the only road I'm seeing in your write-up, but sadly, that was his town

The Central hospital was built with sub-standarded materials. It collapsed twice. Even him Oshio can't campaign with his own projects

Please, Lagos/Benin Expressway is a federal government road, hence, 5 junction.
Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by nesphil(m): 2:07am On Sep 18, 2022
If your claim is right, how come Akwa Ibom GDP, Nominal GDP, and IGR are far higher than that of Edo State at present

Note the major chunk of the IGR, Nominal GDP, and GDP comes from Uyo.

At present Akwa Ibom is Nigeria's 6 richest state after Lagos, Rivers, Delta, Oyo, and Imo, while Edo State is number 8

You're talking as If there are not more Keke in Benin than in Uyo.

My arguments come with statistical proofs to support them, bring yours to support your argument that Uyo lacks economic value as you claim.

Nominal GDP between 2013 - 2017: https://www.nairaland.com/6006113/see-nigerian-states-highest-gdp

IGR at 1st half of 2021: https://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/pdfuploads/Internally_Generated_Revenue_At_State_Level_H1%202021.pdf

GDP at present: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nigerian_states_by_GDP

Ologbo147:
Uyo is beautiful no doubt, but she lacks economic value, the people do not have purchasing power, na keke full am. Benin is not Uyo's mate economically, Uyo should be mate with Auchi or sapele economically

Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by Ologbo147: 3:41am On Sep 18, 2022
nesphil:
If your claim is right, how come Akwa Ibom GDP, Nominal GDP, and IGR are far higher than that of Edo State at present

Note the major chunk of the IGR, Nominal GDP, and GDP comes from Uyo.

At present Akwa Ibom is Nigeria's 6 richest state after Lagos, Rivers, Delta, Oyo, and Imo, while Edo State is number 8

You're talking as If there are not more Keke in Benin than in Uyo.

My arguments come with statistical proofs to support them, bring yours to support your argument that Uyo lacks economic value as you claim.

Nominal GDP between 2013 - 2017: https://www.nairaland.com/6006113/see-nigerian-states-highest-gdp

IGR at 1st half of 2021: https://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/pdfuploads/Internally_Generated_Revenue_At_State_Level_H1%202021.pdf

GDP at present: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nigerian_states_by_GDP

my brother we are not talking about Edo and Akwa-Ibom. we are talking about Benin city and Uyo. as far as I know, there is even spread of development along all the cities in Akwa-Ibom state.

Also When you say far higher, I don't know what you mean because according to your list
Edo state -11,880
Akwa-Ibom-13700 I don't see what is far higher in those figures. I would like you to know that Akwa Ibom is a dominant Oil state, infact it is the highest oil producing state in Nigeria, in terms of tax from these oil firms and all but yet it does not trickle down to the ordinary citizen

what I can tell you for a fact is that Edo' state economic activities is majorly centred in Benin city even up to 90%.

same cannot be said for Uyo when there is Eket, Ikot Ekpene, oron and other cities.
No the Keke in Benin is not more the ones in Uyo, you can't find keke in the city in Benin city, you can only get that in the suburb in Benin city. I don't do paper analysis, as an artisan or a business person, I will rather go to Auchi to set up a business or as Artisan. In Auchi, you can sell a polo for 10,000. people will purchase in high amount, you can't do that in Uyo. there is nothing in Uyo my brother, it is beautiful nonsense. how many people dae do yahoo for Uyo. they easily resort to keke as a means of livelihood.

sincerely Uyo is at the same level with Ekpoma/Agbor economically. the purchasing power of the people is low , Auchi today is still above Uyo, I am telling you the bitter truth, the ultimate reality. other persons have attested to it too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by Harryj12: 10:15am On Sep 18, 2022
udeh3:

Please, where in Ring road? Same Ringroad that was such a beauty to behold before Oshio became a governor. And he scattered and left it after Hugh money was budgeted for it. The roof of the schools were done by EDOSPADEC and not the state government. Okpepe is the only road I'm seeing in your write-up, but sadly, that was his town

The Central hospital was built with sub-standarded materials. It collapsed twice. Even him Oshio can't campaign with his own projects

Please, Lagos/Benin Expressway is a federal government road, hence, 5 junction.
how old are you sef, because na only small pikin when nor know anything go talk say ring road has been a beauty before Oshiomole, before oshiomhole we get anything like red roof for our schoos or aby after oshiomhole dem don do any red roof school again. Even if u nor like oshiomhole dea see truth dea talk

1 Like

Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by Wilson500: 4:57pm On Sep 18, 2022
Ologbo147:
my brother we are not talking about Edo and Akwa-Ibom. we are talking about Benin city and Uyo. as far as I know, there is even spread of development along all the cities in Akwa-Ibom state.

Also When you say far higher, I don't know what you mean because according to your list
Edo state -11,880
Akwa-Ibom-13700 I don't see what is far higher in those figures. I would like you to know that Akwa Ibom is a dominant Oil state, infact it is the highest oil producing state in Nigeria, in terms of tax from these oil firms and all but yet it does not trickle down to the ordinary citizen

what I can tell you for a fact is that Edo' state economic activities is majorly centred in Benin city even up to 90%.

same cannot be said for Uyo when there is Eket, Ikot Ekpene, oron and other cities.
No the Keke in Benin is not more the ones in Uyo, you can't find keke in the city in Benin city, you can only get that in the suburb in Benin city. I don't do paper analysis, as an artisan or a business person, I will rather go to Auchi to set up a business or as Artisan. In Auchi, you can sell a polo for 10,000. people will purchase in high amount, you can't do that in Uyo. there is nothing in Uyo my brother, it is beautiful nonsense. how many people dae do yahoo for Uyo. they easily resort to keke as a means of livelihood.

sincerely Uyo is at the same level with Ekpoma/Agbor economically. the purchasing power of the people is low , Auchi today is still above Uyo, I am telling you the bitter truth, the ultimate reality. other persons have attested to it too.

Nice analysis
You are very correct
Thats why I left Uyo for PH
Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by Modleavemeo: 7:02pm On Sep 18, 2022
Benzoway:

Account wey you register 2 days ago.
Even mad man no go send him funds to you undecided
u nor know say Nairaland dey suspend acc anyhow when u dey post about things like this ?

So wetin u expect?
Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by udeh3(m): 10:06pm On Sep 18, 2022
Harryj12:
how old are you sef, because na only small pikin when nor know anything go talk say ring road has been a beauty before Oshiomole, before oshiomhole we get anything like red roof for our schoos or aby after oshiomhole dem don do any red roof school again. Even if u nor like oshiomhole dea see truth dea talk

Simple question, was it Oshiomole that built those schools with Edo government funds or EDOSPADEC? I've followed Edo politics before 1999 till date. It's worth noting you know thing about Edo state and politics of lies. Infact, Oshiomole little achievements where with the brain of Obaseki. I'm not a fan of PDP, so don't think I'm supporting the current governor. I just wanted to clear your ignorance

A state capital for over 40yrs, still looking... And thinking Oshiomole did something important is shameful. I grew up in Benin, I'm a Deltan. Can you compare both states in terms of development, infrastructure wise? This is a baby state carved out of Edo State. Almost every town is developed. I come from Owhelogbo, Isoko North precisely. The smallest street, whether at your backyard is tarred. Infact, the farm settled areas are graded and tarred without people staying, just to open up those areas for development

Compare Oshiomole with his counterparts during his 8yrs whether you'll not be ashamed in terms of achievements

Maybe you don't know EDOSPADEC projects are different from Edo State projects? I was thinking you will list the new schools Oshiomole built to Carter for the deficit in schools in Edo State.

Better wise up!

1 Like

Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by OVB123: 10:14pm On Sep 18, 2022
Harryj12:
I think the young man is still a baby. 4get about him.
Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by OVB123: 10:16pm On Sep 18, 2022
Wilson500:

Nice analysis
You are very correct
Uyo is very beautiful with good roads but at thesame time it very dry.
Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by Harryj12: 1:42pm On Sep 19, 2022
udeh3:

Simple question, was it Oshiomole that built those schools with Edo government funds or EDOSPADEC? I've followed Edo politics before 1999 till date. It's worth noting you know thing about Edo state and politics of lies. Infact, Oshiomole little achievements where with the brain of Obaseki. I'm not a fan of PDP, so don't think I'm supporting the current governor. I just wanted to clear your ignorance

A state capital for over 40yrs, still looking... And thinking Oshiomole did something important is shameful. I grew up in Benin, I'm a Deltan. Can you compare both states in terms of development, infrastructure wise? This is a baby state carved out of Edo State. Almost every town is developed. I come from Owhelogbo, Isoko North precisely. The smallest street, whether at your backyard is tarred. Infact, the farm settled areas are graded and tarred without people staying, just to open up those areas for development

Compare Oshiomole with his counterparts during his 8yrs whether you'll not be ashamed in terms of achievements

Maybe you don't know EDOSPADEC projects are different from Edo State projects? I was thinking you will list the new schools Oshiomole built to Carter for the deficit in schools in Edo State.

Better wise up!
it was never edsopadec go do your research. Why did edsopadec stop building red roof after oshiomhole left office. Obaseki use his brain to mekw Oshiomhole tenure a success and failed to use his brain for his own tenure. If you are in benin you will see most of Oshiomole roads no one have open drainage Obaseki took us back to d era of open drainage
Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by Anselem86: 10:54pm On Oct 09, 2022
Steve0979:
Igbo pple don carry cheastbeatin enta dis one again dem say city Una dey mention awka Enugu owerri etc de problem with u folks is DAT u guys will always claim yours is better.dere is no city in d south east u can compare wit Maiduguri not to talk of Kaduna n kano,I am not from d north but as a well travel person dis is my observtion
so one or two bridges what make u to think that kano or kaduna is better can u give reasons for ur choice
Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by BluntCrazeMan: 4:10am On Oct 19, 2022
internationalman:
Out of the who 36 States in Nigeria, there's only one capital City is attached to it's name.

Ladies and gentlemen let's give it up for Benin City.

The best capital City in Nigeria where the king is truly king.
Must there be sentiments in everything that has to do with Nigeria??

Was the question about KINGS??
Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by nesphil(m): 2:10am On Jan 09, 2023
Uyo any time, any day grin

GardenOfGod:

Uyo is the most beautiful capital city after Ikeja.
Well planned.

1 Like

Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by nesphil(m): 2:25am On Jan 09, 2023
Uyo - Akwa Ibom State Capital anytime, any day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXh4gYQgDVA

Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by nesphil(m): 2:54am On Jan 09, 2023
It is a good thing to spread development across the state instead of concentrating development on the state capital alone. grin

It is also better to drive Keke than to do yahoo yahoo. grin

As far as I'm concerned, businesses are thriving in Uyo apart from Yahoo yahoo grin

Ologbo147:

Edo state -11,880

Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by JinxBreaker: 2:55am On Jan 09, 2023
Ikeja,
PH,
Uyo,
Calabar

Below are some images of the beautiful city of Uyo, Akwa Ibom State.

Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by nesphil(m): 2:56am On Jan 09, 2023
You can go to where yahoo yahoo is thriving,
Sorry, we don't want that in our beautiful city of Uyo grin

Wilson500:

Nice analysis
You are very correct
Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by nesphil(m): 3:07am On Jan 09, 2023
Point of correction Bro,

Uyo Capital City extends beyond the boundaries of Uyo LGA into parts of Nsit Ibom, Ibesikpo Asutan, Uruan, and Itu LGAs.

Even presently, development has gone into parts of Ibiono Ibom(along Uyo - Ikot Ekpene Highway) and Etinan(along Uyo - Etinan hIghway) LGAs too.

So Uyo Capital City of Akwa Ibom State is bigger than Uyo LGA.

saintkeppy:

Now back to Benin City:

Re: Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? by ibechris(m): 2:49pm On Jan 09, 2023
yahmohy27:

Ipob sentiment activated

Everything to u must be tribalism.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Air Peace Airlift 105 Students Sponsored By Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso(photos) / Largest Yoruba Settlement In Togo - Atakpame / Little Girl Unhurt After Truck Ran Over Shop Where She Was Sleeping In Imo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.