Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,774 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:25 PM

How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? (14078 Views)

Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada / 8 Things You Need To Survive As A Banker / Can A Graduate Survive With N50,000 Salary A Month? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by dopedan(m): 3:42pm On Sep 19, 2022
Art is my passion im very good at it but it brings low income so i took it as a hobby im still looking for wat to do to bring in better money I know wat im aiming for and art cant take me there
Girls have more luck with art than guys

1 Like

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Awesomeking: 3:43pm On Sep 19, 2022
I confess, when i barged into the thread,i assumed you were referring to music artists...regardless,you make a good point.. making sales to the Nigerian market isnt easy regardless of the form of art you are into..personally,i am a songwriter, i learned soon after venturing into selling and co writing ,that Nigerians dont really value my work,so i started pushing avenues for my work to be sold to foreigners instead,now i have a few songs to my name, all vocalised by foreigners and they paid money for it still ...so my advice to you is to stop trying to sell art in Nigeria to Nigerians..you can make the art in Nigeria and even center the topic of your work on something 9ja related,but place your focus on selling it to people who clearly appreciate it,foreigners .

6 Likes

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by dopedan(m): 3:44pm On Sep 19, 2022
Awesomeking:
I confess, when i barged into the thread,i assumed you were referring to music artists...regardless,you make a good point.. making sales to the Nigerian market isnt easy regardless of the form of art you are into..personally,i am a songwriter, i learned soon after venturing into selling and co writing ,that Nigerians dont really value my work,so i started pushing avenues for my work to be sold to foreigners instead,now i have a few songs to my name, all vocalised by foreigners and they paid money for it still ...so my advice to you is to stop trying to sell art in Nigeria to Nigerians..you can make the art in Nigeria and even center the topic of your work on something 9ja related,but place your focus on selling it to people who clearly appreciate it,foreigners .
Those ones always think you are trying to scam them ones they hear u are from Nigeria omo i gave up

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by AKWATGOLD1(m): 3:44pm On Sep 19, 2022
Art computer/phone innovation will make the profession into oblivion in no distance time. Hunger in the land is a contributing factor.
Artbydris:
Whenever I meet someone new, one of the first questions I get is, "Are you making sales?"

I used to be quite taken aback by the question but I soon realised that the question is not out of place.

The world art market is a lopsided world which favours the established and known artists much more than the emerging and new artists. But in Nigeria, it is much worse. Like I stated in a TVC interview not too long ago, the Nigerian art industry is plagued by a general lack of appreciation for art.

The average Nigerian art lover who has many 'artworks' at home does not particularly care if the artwork in his living room is a printed picture randomly picked from the internet or a plagiarised piece of art. To the untrained eye, if it is a beautiful painting, pottery or sculpture, then it is art.

And for the people who have managed to develop techniques and styles way different from what is traditionally known, many are generally out of the conversation. Even the so called curators tend to relegate the works to the world of craft while others advice them to make 'sellable' art.

This puts so many artists jostling for sales to make more of the art types that sell, while many focus on painting celebrities to push their art. But are they to blame?

Now the problem with the so called sellable art is that the artist has endeavoured to water down the art of self expression, focusing mainly on what the audience wants to see and not necessarily what is right or true to him.

As it occurs, even the few who 'genuinely' love art will only agree to buy your best works for a fraction of the price you would sell them abroad, while praising your creativity and admiring the aesthetics.

The clamour for the return of Nigerian artefacts from foreign museums and collectors is a fine curtain that appears to highlight how much our artefacts are valued by us, but are they, really? History has it that many of the artefacts had to be dug up, does the fact that they were buried show how much they were valued by us? Or did we only start valuing them after they were taken from us? Do we even deserve these artworks other than for the reason that they are ours? Had they not been plundered and taken abroad, would we have eventually expressed the immense value that we have for them? Or would they still have been underground? That is left to be said.

If you are a Nigerian artist, I would love to know how easy you find traversing the Nigerian art terrain and how you manage to make sales and build an enviable life.

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by rusher14: 3:45pm On Sep 19, 2022
Go learn UX or animation.

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 3:48pm On Sep 19, 2022
Nigeriaiscasted:
If no be artwork way get quote of motivation make e day him day. MFM go talk say I never pursue the devil way day disturb me I wan add another one join

So art works are now tools of the devil except for those with motivational quotes

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by NevetsIbot(m): 3:49pm On Sep 19, 2022
I’m doing pretty well for myself

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Awesomeking: 3:49pm On Sep 19, 2022
dopedan:

Those ones always think you are trying to scam them ones they hear u are from Nigeria omo i gave up
lol thats true,my Facebook account of many years was suspended and then deleted by facebook because foreign artists who i dm through groups,got scared and reported my account multiple times...

Bro/sis,they will assume whatever they want to assume,they will call you names over and overr again,you might have to get rejected 100 times before making one sale but trust me when it comes,you will smile because it was worth it and definitely a better financial benefit than selling for ridiculous prices to Nigerian "art lovers"

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Emman08: 3:51pm On Sep 19, 2022
The market. Nigerians don't appreciate art that much

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Sprumbaba: 3:52pm On Sep 19, 2022
Artbydris:
Whenever I meet someone new, one of the first questions I get is, "Are you making sales?"

I used to be quite taken aback by the question but I soon realised that the question is not out of place.

The world art market is a lopsided world which favours the established and known artists much more than the emerging and new artists. But in Nigeria, it is much worse. Like I stated in a TVC interview not too long ago, the Nigerian art industry is plagued by a general lack of appreciation for art.

The average Nigerian art lover who has many 'artworks' at home does not particularly care if the artwork in his living room is a printed picture randomly picked from the internet or a plagiarised piece of art. To the untrained eye, if it is a beautiful painting, pottery or sculpture, then it is art.

And for the people who have managed to develop techniques and styles way different from what is traditionally known, many are generally out of the conversation. Even the so called curators tend to relegate the works to the world of craft while others advice them to make 'sellable' art.

This puts so many artists jostling for sales to make more of the art types that sell, while many focus on painting celebrities to push their art. But are they to blame?

Now the problem with the so called sellable art is that the artist has endeavoured to water down the art of self expression, focusing mainly on what the audience wants to see and not necessarily what is right or true to him.

As it occurs, even the few who 'genuinely' love art will only agree to buy your best works for a fraction of the price you would sell them abroad, while praising your creativity and admiring the aesthetics.

The clamour for the return of Nigerian artefacts from foreign museums and collectors is a fine curtain that appears to highlight how much our artefacts are valued by us, but are they, really? History has it that many of the artefacts had to be dug up, does the fact that they were buried show how much they were valued by us? Or did we only start valuing them after they were taken from us? Do we even deserve these artworks other than for the reason that they are ours? Had they not been plundered and taken abroad, would we have eventually expressed the immense value that we have for them? Or would they still have been underground? That is left to be said.

If you are a Nigerian artist, I would love to know how easy you find traversing the Nigerian art terrain and how you manage to make sales and build an enviable life.

I like art. Let me patronize you and probably open you to a western market. Where do I find your work?

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by IbileIfe: 3:52pm On Sep 19, 2022
socialmediaman:
The internet is your gem. They created NFTs for artists and artistes so that should be a great way to go global!
Converting artworks to NFTs is not cheap.
Only few artists are making money from NFTs.
Majority of artists in Nigeria have turned to other jobs for survival.

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by CrownLands(m): 3:53pm On Sep 19, 2022
Real Artists are rare to see. Commercial art, computer generated art and smartphone apps has helped to "Kill" the career of "talented hands"
I am an ardent Art Lover!

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by dopedan(m): 3:54pm On Sep 19, 2022
Awesomeking:
lol thats true,my Facebook account of many years was suspended and then deleted by facebook because foreign artists who i dm through groups,got scared and reported my account multiple times...

Bro/sis,they will assume whatever they want to assume,they will call you names over and overr again,you might have to get rejected 100 times before making one sale but trust me when it comes,you will smile because it was worth it and definitely a better financial benefit than selling for ridiculous prices to Nigerian "art lovers"
Not everyone will be lucky o bros by time you see someone that will buy ur work from Nigeria u must have grown grey hairs but if you can meet d right buyer u can get d least $2k one artist i met on fb told me he did a commission for a rich woman for $39k years back but now he is broke

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Asour: 3:57pm On Sep 19, 2022
oluseyiforjesus:
An artist should not only depend on his art work, dey engage in things like MC, radio presenter, DJ etc

I think you're refering to an artiste.

Which is different from an artist.
Maybe Very few artistes are artists.

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Monaboo(m): 4:01pm On Sep 19, 2022
If you know anyone that wants to go and study Fine Arts in school, please discourage that person. The person make not like you now but in future he or she will remember you.

I wonder why Universities and polytechnics in Nigeria are still is issuing B.sc and Diplomas in Fine Arts.

Who buys Artwork now?

This country ehn angry
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by phemmyfour: 4:02pm On Sep 19, 2022
BankyGee:
Wahala for who be artist o

Me don japa leave that thing tey tey.
It's underappreciated here.
Sometimes your portraits fit dey pity you seff.
When the basic needs of a man has not yet met, artwork will be last thing on his mind

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by BankyGee(m): 4:06pm On Sep 19, 2022
phemmyfour:
When the basic needs of a man has not yet met, artwork will be last thing on his mind
Egg-zactly cool
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by socialmediaman: 4:06pm On Sep 19, 2022
IbileIfe:

Converting artworks to NFTs is not cheap.
Only few artists are making money from NFTs.
Majority of artists in Nigeria have turned to other jobs for survival.

It takes money to make money right? Is your internet subscription or smartphone free? It's all about priority, focus, hard work and some luck. Rather than spend time looking for locals to buy my artwork, I'll prioritize learning how I could meet people on the internet who have interest in foreign artwork

https://cointelegraph.com/news/how-to-convert-your-digital-art-into-nfts-and-sell-it
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Sep 19, 2022
socialmediaman:
The internet is your gem. They created NFTs for artists and artistes so that should be a great way to go global!
see as you make nft sale easy

Lmao

1 Like

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by motionarena: 4:07pm On Sep 19, 2022
BankyGee:
Wahala for who be artist o

Me don japa leave that thing tey tey.
It's underappreciated here.
Sometimes your portraits fit dey pity you seff.

You a quack artist or don't know your way around.

I recently sold a painting at the Retro gallery for 143 million naira

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Awesomeking: 4:12pm On Sep 19, 2022
dopedan:

Not everyone will be lucky o bros by time you see someone that will buy ur work from Nigeria u must have grown grey hairs but if you can meet d right buyer u can get d least $2k one artist i met on fb told me he did a commission for a rich woman for $39k years back but now he is broke
just because its hard doesn't mean you shouldnt try

1 Like

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Love800(m): 4:18pm On Sep 19, 2022
Sir pls lemme contact you na. Pls ur whatsapp num. Am an artist. But dont know how to market for sales
motionarena:

You a quack artist or don't know your way around.

I recently sold a painting at the Retro gallery for 143 million naira
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by ngmoses17(m): 4:21pm On Sep 19, 2022
One way no enter market.
Find something lucrative to support your music career. Broda Shaggi blow with him iberiberism before he rekindled his music. Laken used BBN to sell his music.

Music alone dey hard o.
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Eaztzide: 4:23pm On Sep 19, 2022
With the new age of contemporary art, there's always going to be a fine line between gatekeeping and innovation by artists who use traditional methods in creating. We have seen how taste for art has gone beyond love for Michelangelo and Dante, to art that looks like they were forgotten in the microwave. You can't blame new generational artists who are trying to flow with the tides and do what is reigning. For them, it's about selling. About innovation, I believe every art shouldn't be restricted to traditional ways(canvas, brush and paint). I've seen online how artists are kicking against computer generated artworks, saying it spoils creativity and innovation which I don't believe so. This is where the issue of gatekeeping comes into place. Art shouldn't be dictated how it's to be expressed. Every form should be encouraged because as they say - "Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder".
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by AnonDude2004: 4:25pm On Sep 19, 2022
temitope27:
Just draw pussy, u go sell cheesy
I swear! Sex sells too much in this current age.
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by MuMuOnBail: 4:38pm On Sep 19, 2022
We survive by doing Art work by Day and Yahoo-Yahoo or Banditry by Night

Man must survive

grin
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Yampotatocarrot(m): 4:42pm On Sep 19, 2022
Forget, those artworks are expensive o. I particularly love those artists that call themselves "Art surgeons", like it brings a kind of "tushness" to the career

Na big men dey get too much artwork for house, the little ones I have are enough.

Although, I feel artwork can also be an investment or savings,that's if they don't get spoilt sha

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Ten06(m): 4:42pm On Sep 19, 2022
Majority of Nigerians cannot feed very well, where will they have the mental support to admire an art work?
Do you expect someone who is thinking of how to pay his children school fee to look at what he cannot afford?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by deltateam: 4:52pm On Sep 19, 2022
Artbydris:

Whites appreciate arts more and are willing to pay serious money for it.

Is it not when somebody belleful that he can reason arts?

Anyway let me give you a hint. Look for all these celebrities, draw their pictures and tag them on twitter.

You will definitely get lucky. That is only if you can draw well o.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Have A Productive Day With 3 Simple Acts / Suspended From Work Via Phone Call / Johnspeak Uwangue: How Not To Get Sacked From Your Workplace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.