Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,818 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:23 PM

Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? (18967 Views)

London Court Jails Nigerian Three Years For Flogging Son / Ogidi Youths Flog Man After He Was Filmed Flogging, Boxing, And Kicking His Mom / Adekunle Okunuga Suspended As A Doctor In 2015 For Flogging Son In UK Reinstated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Prism(f): 7:01pm On Sep 18, 2022
Hello nairaland family

Before I begin let's define toddlerhood;

Toddler: 1-3 years. Preschooler: 3-5 years. School-aged: 5-12 years. Teenager: 13-18 years.

Is it necessary to start flogging toddlers?? I married a yoruba man And I noticed his sisters like flogging their kids including their toddlers. I'm not used to seeing little children being flogged not to talk of toddlers and I get this cringe feeling when I see it. Is it a cultural thing? Is that how the whole tribe Is like? Does flogging a child actually make him or her better Or is it not just child abuse
I do feel somehow seeing people flogging 2yr old, 3yr old kids. I feel somehow. What do you guys think

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by mariahAngel(f): 7:10pm On Sep 18, 2022
There's no injustice worse than beating a child.
Whoever hurts a child will suffer the consequence(s).
There are other ways to discipline a child than torture.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by DaddyFreeze2020(m): 7:21pm On Sep 18, 2022
mariahAngel:
There's no injustice worse than beating a child.
Whoever hurts a child will suffer the consequence(s).

New International Version
Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them.

New Living Translation
Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children. Those who love their children care enough to discipline them.

English Standard Version
Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.

Berean Standard Bible
He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

King James Bible
He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

New King James Version
He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him promptly.

New American Standard Bible
He who withholds his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

NASB 1995
He who withholds his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

NASB 1977
He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

Amplified Bible
He who withholds the rod [of discipline] hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines and trains him diligently and appropriately [with wisdom and love].

Christian Standard Bible
The one who will not use the rod hates his son, but the one who loves him disciplines him diligently.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
The one who will not use the rod hates his son, but the one who loves him disciplines him diligently.

American Standard Version
He that spareth his rod hateth his son; But he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Everyone that spares concerning his rod, hates his son, and he that loves his son disciplines him earnestly.

Brenton Septuagint Translation
He that spares the rod hates his son: but he that loves, carefully chastens him.

Contemporary English Version
If you love your children, you will correct them; if you don't love them, you won't correct them.

Douay-Rheims Bible
He that spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes.

Good News Translation
If you don't punish your children, you don't love them. If you do love them, you will correct them.

International Standard Version
Whoever does not discipline his son hates him, but whoever loves him is diligent to correct him.

JPS Tanakh 1917
He that spareth his rod hateth his son; But he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Literal Standard Version
Whoever is sparing his rod is hating his son, And whoever is loving him has hurried his discipline.

New American Bible
Whoever spares the rod hates the child, but whoever loves will apply discipline.

NET Bible
The one who spares his rod hates his child, but the one who loves his child is diligent in disciplining him.

New Revised Standard Version
Those who spare the rod hate their children, but those who love them are diligent to discipline them.

New Heart English Bible
One who spares the rod hates his son, but one who loves him is careful to discipline him.

World English Bible
One who spares the rod hates his son, but one who loves him is careful to discipline him.

Young's Literal Translation
Whoso is sparing his rod is hating his son, And whoso is loving him hath hastened him chastisement.

204 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by MasterJayJay: 7:56pm On Sep 18, 2022
DaddyFreeze2020:

Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them.

We fit use this rod?

129 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Karleb(m): 7:58pm On Sep 18, 2022
Nothing wrong with spanking children.

Corporal punishment should not lead to abuse tho.

64 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by ogawisdom(m): 7:59pm On Sep 18, 2022
Every child above 2 yrs should be flogged when necessary or given brain resetting slap

105 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by boxer022(m): 8:13pm On Sep 18, 2022
Every child or in this case a toddler has their own size of cane and the way you use it on them is different from the way you use it on child above that age. If you don't start on-time to correct a child or toddler, it may be difficult to correct them when they grow.

207 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Prism(f): 8:18pm On Sep 18, 2022
boxer022:
Every child or in this case a toddler has their own size of cane and the way you use it on them is different from the way you use it on child above that age. If you don't start on-time to correct a child or toddler, it may be difficult to correct them when they grow.

This is exactly what my sis in law told me.
Hmmm. This matter has really got me thinking

21 Likes

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by boxer022(m): 8:36pm On Sep 18, 2022
Prism:

This is exactly what my sis in law told me.
Hmmm. This matter has really got me thinking

She told you the truth and it is a well known fact. By the time they remember that mummy or daddy will cane them, they will desist from doing anything that might cause it.

94 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by NoToPile: 8:44pm On Sep 18, 2022
What I don't understand is why you made it a tribal thing, let's hope it doesn't get to FP, the ethnic warriors will so derail your thread ehn.

As for the topic, I don't support flogging under 3 year olds, correcting yeah,discipline when they misbehave yeah but not flogging with cane or any other thing.

Thats the time you instruct, do this, don't don't don't do that.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Mindlog: 8:48pm On Sep 18, 2022
No, disciplining a toddler should not involve flogging.

In as much as some Nigerians do "glorify" the beatings (some qualifies as near murder as brutality was normalized) they received as children (personally, I regard it as unhealthy coping mechanism), we need to ask how that has manifested in the adults we have in Nigeria today.

Oyibo dey spoil pikin, na the same spoilt pikins who become adults they manage their countries and many Africans with the severe beatings as children, are the ones queueing up at the embassy for Visa to those countries.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by slawomir: 8:53pm On Sep 18, 2022
Damnnn niggar

I think it is not necessary

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Tboy222: 8:53pm On Sep 18, 2022
No
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by flemsy15(m): 8:53pm On Sep 18, 2022
For me 'cane' hasn't yielded better results than 'words' used by the whites. All the areas we were flogged growing up , the whites tend to be doing much better. Areas like punctuality, hygiene, sincerity, not-stealing, Truthfulness, avoiding unnecessary noise making, avoiding unnecessary begging, orderliness, etc... the whites are performing better than us. Beating makes us see virtues as punishments

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Draslo(m): 8:54pm On Sep 18, 2022
The flogging of a thing is a culture forced on us by years of slavery. You will find it all over Africa but nowhere else.

Not like Oyinbo no dey spank kids o but we go dey flog pikin like theif till he/she is 17 sef.

Growing up, dem flog me die from house and school. It only made me more rugged because I'm not a cow.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Romanoff(f): 8:54pm On Sep 18, 2022
No it's not.

Toddlers go through a hard time trying to figure out themselves, the world and their emotions. Not all they do should be taken seriously.

Some of us expect too much from them.

To correct them, tell them what they did is wrong and punish the behavior by taking away something they like for a short period of time, when you can get their attention, tell them the right way to behave.

Reward good behaviour, punish bad behaviour but not by flogging.

The moment kids reach 5 years, the flogging can begin.

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Jflex07(m): 8:54pm On Sep 18, 2022
It should be according to their size and age.. My dad used to discipline us when we were that age and we all became responsible adults today.

6 Likes

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by oluwaseyi0: 8:54pm On Sep 18, 2022
Do what works for you

No one will flog my own toddler expect they want war

And besides 'flog' is a strong word for toddler maybe you mean spank

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by ObaloluwaTel(m): 8:55pm On Sep 18, 2022
I do flog to correct my ward,

I rarely flog but if I do my ward have provoked and frustrated me.
Flogging should be act of correcting a child not to cause body harm or pshycological effects on the child.

You want a legit, trustworthy and reliable data merchant? See my flyer

3 Likes

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by barbstee(m): 8:56pm On Sep 18, 2022
It all depends though

However there should be a way of cautioning a child

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by atheistandproud(m): 8:56pm On Sep 18, 2022
I'm a strong advocate of corporal punishment but never for toddlers. Only a sadistic person would do that.

A sharp word or a good spank on the bottom should suffice.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Ginaz(f): 8:56pm On Sep 18, 2022
omo... na so pikin say dey spoil all in the name of being woke.

give them the appropriate treatments when they are misbehaving.

8 Likes

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Kelvinskillz: 8:56pm On Sep 18, 2022
DaddyFreeze2020:

New Living Translation
Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children. Those who love their children care enough to discipline them.

English Standard Version
Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.

Berean Standard Bible
He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

King James Bible
He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

New King James Version
He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him promptly.

NASB 1995

NASB 1977
He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

Amplified Bible
He who withholds the rod [of discipline] hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines and trains him diligently and appropriately [with wisdom and love].

Christian Standard Bible

Everyone that spares concerning his rod, hates his son, and he that loves his son disciplines him earnestly.

He that spares the rod hates his son: but he that loves, carefully chastens him.

If you love your children, you will correct them; if you don't love them, you won't correct them.

Douay-Rheims Bible
He that spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes.

Good News Translation
If you don't punish your children, you don't love them. If you do love them, you will correct them.

Whoever does not discipline his son hates him, but whoever loves him is diligent to correct him.

JPS Tanakh 1917

Literal Standard Version
Whoever is sparing his rod is hating his son, And whoever is loving him has hurried his discipline.

New American Bible
Whoever spares the rod hates the child, but whoever loves will apply discipline.

NET Bible
The one who spares his rod hates his child, but the one who loves his child is diligent in disciplining him.

Those who spare the rod hate their children, but those who love them are diligent to discipline them.

New Heart English Bible

World English Bible

Whoso is sparing his rod is hating his son, And whoso is loving him hath hastened him chastisement.

You are just a very rubbish person

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Tallvictor23: 8:57pm On Sep 18, 2022
DaddyFreeze2020:

New Living Translation

English Standard Version

Berean Standard Bible

King James Bible

New King James Version

NASB 1995

NASB 1977

Amplified Bible

Christian Standard Bible

Douay-Rheims Bible

Good News Translation

JPS Tanakh 1917

Literal Standard Version

New American Bible

NET Bible

New Heart English Bible

World English Bible

Bro chill �������������
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Tonygeesm(m): 8:57pm On Sep 18, 2022
I wasn't flog that much by any of my parents or even at all level of education but man grow get sense.notwistanding if my mother look you with her eyes mark go appear for Ur body

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Guyman01: 8:57pm On Sep 18, 2022
Some parents overdo things, instilling fear and discipline is required for parenting, the advice is don't flog a child when you are very angry, use the cane only when you are totally in control of your emotions.
Flogging a toddler is not necessary but sometimes you can smack them gently on their bum with a strict angry face as a way of correcting them and they will get the message

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by jefe03(m): 8:58pm On Sep 18, 2022
We're now getting softer, day by day

3 Likes

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Natbrowny: 8:59pm On Sep 18, 2022
Mtchewww. If dem no flog u. U think say u for get sense

If jaden smith collect slap. U think say e for no get sense. But d parent no fit lite am better slap. See aw e dey go now

In Africa, U misbehave. U chop slap.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by oluseyiforjesus(m): 8:59pm On Sep 18, 2022
Ok
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Iamcrypto: 9:00pm On Sep 18, 2022
Deep

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Naija Family Living In Brazil / Temperament Issues : A Choleric Woman / Why Do Most Single Ladies Get Angry When Addressed As 'ma'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.