Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,210 members, 7,807,716 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:58 PM

Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims (4389 Views)

Presidency Orders Sack Of Civil Servants With 30 Years In Service And Above / Igbo Hold Memorial Service For Civil War Victims / Igbo Leaders To Give Nigerian War Victims Appropriate Burial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by PointB: 6:07am On Aug 13, 2011
Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims

OHANEZE Ndigbo has set aside October 7 and 8, 2011 for reburial of all Biafran soldiers of Delta State origin who died in the Nigerian Civil War.

This, according to Chief Rommy Ezeonwuka, a member of the Reburial/War Heroes Memorial Committee, is prelude to the more elaborate arrangement already slated for January 12 to 14, 2012 at Okwe, Okigwe in Imo State at the five thousand hectares of land where tablets/monuments would be unveiled in memory of all Igbo who were killed in the war.

The reburial plan is part of efforts at spiritual healing and cleansing of Igboland from its contemporary social woes and retardation which are believed took a more noticeable turn since the civil war.

The memorial site was donated by the leader of the Movement for the Actualization of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB), Chief Ralph Uwazurike.

“Besides, the burial committee has also mapped out and sent emissaries to all Igbo linkages in the diaspora, especially those taken as refugees during the war to Gabon, Ivory Coast and other places, to recover and re-establish contacts and brotherly relationship with them. It is aimed at re-inventing the hunger and initiate the process for their safe and easy passage and eventual return to their fatherland,” for those willing, Ezeonwuka said.

They also have plans to extend the consciousness to all the ex-slaves shipped away to parts of the world from Igboland.

According to Ezeonwuka, owner of the Rojenny Tourist and Games Village in Oba, Idemili South council of Anambra State, no business or social activity would hold in any community or part of Igboland other than those lined up or associated with the formal burial of all the wartime dead.

An all night interdenominational memorial vigil and special prayers for the peaceful repose of souls of all those who died in the war would be held simultaneously in all communities on January 12, while the reburial proper comes up the next day.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57673:ohaneze-plans-reburial-of-civil-war-victims-&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by dempeople(m): 6:47am On Aug 13, 2011
Very good. I was thinking about such initiative as recent as yesterday. I'll one day visit the place once completed.
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by PointB: 6:56am On Aug 13, 2011
^^^
I also think it's a good development. I will bring closure to certain elements of the civil war. And perhaps give rest to wandering spirits. It also has political ramifications. More like one stone to kill three birds. Very intelligent initiative by Ohaneze Idi Igbo!
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by dempeople(m): 7:21am On Aug 13, 2011
^
Ohanaeze should be heavily involved in the social welfare of Ndigbo than meddling in politics. Politics should be left to the Igbo political forum (IPF).

I expect Ohanaeze to have since, among other initiatives, conducted an Igbo census to determine how many Ndigbo are in Nigeria. They could've even gone further by registering all Ndigbo in an institutionalized database management system and setup Ohanaeze welfare outlets in all major cities in Nigeria and beyond e.g. New York, Houston, Washington, Maryland, London, Amsterdam etc where  Ndigbo are known to reside in large numbers.

Funding isn't really a problem. Its organizing it that's the problem.
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by Onlytruth(m): 7:28am On Aug 13, 2011
Posted by: dem_people

^
Ohanaeze should be heavily involved in the social welfare of Ndigbo than meddling in politics. Politics should be left to the Igbo political forum (IPF).

I expect Ohanaeze to have since, among other initiatives, conducted an Igbo census to determine how many Ndigbo are in Nigeria. They could've even gone further by registering all Ndigbo in an institutionalized database management system and setup Ohanaeze welfare outlets in all major cities in Nigeria and beyond e.g. New York, Houston, Washington, Maryland, London, Amsterdam etc where Ndigbo are known to reside in large numbers.

Funding isn't really a problem. Its organizing it that's the problem.

I believe that there is a very thin line between "social welfare" and politics proper. I hate talk bodies where folks simply go to talk, drink palm wine and go home. We've had that all through these years.
Ohanaeze is on the right path. It is involved in the socio-politico-cultural emancipation of Igboland.
Enough of splitting hairs. We have too many Igbo political bodies and all they do is divide us into infinitesimal parts, hence impotent whole.

@topic,

GREAT initiative by Ohanaeze and Uwazurike.
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by LoveIcon: 7:33am On Aug 13, 2011
That is a very good initiative, Igbo kwenu
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by dempeople(m): 7:44am On Aug 13, 2011
Onlytruth:

I believe that there is a very thin line between "social welfare" and politics proper. I hate talk bodies where folks simply go to talk, drink palm wine and go home. We've had that all through these years.
Ohanaeze is on the right path. It is involved in the socio-politico-cultural emancipation of Igboland.
Enough of splitting hairs. We have too many Igbo political bodies and all they do is divide us into infinitesimal parts, hence impotent whole.

@topic,

If Ohanaeze can cater for the socio-political and cultural wellbeing of Ndigbo then I believe its the best. The problem is that it often seems it gets distracted from its responsibilities when actively in politics. Ohanaeze hardly involves itself in socio-cultural issues affecting Ndigbo which are its responsibilities. I want to see a powerful Ohanaeze Ndigbo that Nidgbo could be proud of.

The more stronger and organized Ohanaeze is, the more solidly unified Ndigbo would become.
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by kasiem(m): 7:47am On Aug 13, 2011
The soul of my brave grandfather will get another honour.
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by PointB: 7:47am On Aug 13, 2011
Onlytruth:

@topic,

@ Onlytruth
I agree with this, Ohaneze seems to be getting it acts together, politically socially, and culturally.

@Dem_people

Yes, Ohaneze could do more, and I particularly agree with the census you suggested. However, I think taking things one at a time is a good way to approach it.
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by NegroNtns(m): 11:44am On Aug 13, 2011
<quote>

OHANEZE Ndigbo has set aside October 7 and 8, 2011 for reburial of all Biafran soldiers of Delta State origin who died in the Nigerian Civil War.

</quote>

Can somebody explain the above.

Now, why do this in Ojukwu's absence? You know what, never mind, . . . I forgot he was absent when the war ended anyway!
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by houvest: 12:09pm On Aug 13, 2011
Thanks Onlytruth and all. Dempeople's suggestion about Census is good but the logistics and funding will not be easy. As for politics, Ohaneze cannot forget about politics completely. They should be actively involved in grooming Igbo leaders, advising and guiding them when they assume leadership of Ndigbo and in Nigeria or beyond and step into igbo leadership when there is a vacuum till another leader arises. Telling them to leave politics for IPF appears funny.
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by dempeople(m): 1:01pm On Aug 13, 2011
^^^^

Politics by Ohanaeze should not be carried out at the detriment of social-cultural responsibilities. What is Ohanaeze doing about the multitude of Igbo children, teenagers and adults who can't communicate in the language of our ancestors? What is Ohanaeze doing about the waywardness of many of our youths and inculcating the principles of Igbo culture and unity in them? What is Ohanaeze doing to encourage investments in Alaigbo? What is Ohanaeze doing to tackle the security challenges in Alaigbo?

These are all important but Ohanaeze needs to focus more on socio-cultural activities. There're very few Igbo seasoned politicians in Ohanaeze compared to the IPF. If Ohanaeze focuses only on socio-cultural and economic responsibilities, IPF can focus solely on politics while Aka Ikenga still retains its membership of elite Ndigbo.

On logistics and funding, the main thing is organization. If there's a strong will to achieve this then logistics and funding would be settled.
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by AndreUweh(m): 2:11pm On Aug 13, 2011
Ohanaeze's biggest problem at the moment is finance. Ohanaeze is financed by the South east states and Delta North. But none of them is up-to-date with her financial contributions perhaps with the exception of Enugu state.
In terms of Igbo children in diaspora not speaking Igbo, there is not much Ohanaeze can do. Affiliate Igbo organisations should play a bigger role in this aspect. I suggest all the Igbo town unions abroad should include the teaching of Igbo to children abroad in their agenda. Nnewi people in the U.K have started it and others should follow.
Secondly, The Igbo Youths U.K (www.icsn.com) has started Igbo language lessons in London with two qualified Igbo language teachers. This should be emulated by other Igbo organisations outside Igboland.
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by revolt(m): 4:32pm On Aug 13, 2011
truly a commendable gesture the first act of ohanaeze thats gotten me excited esp reuniting delta igbos wth kith and kin. the disunity will end in my life time. thank god
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by Obiagu1(m): 8:08pm On Aug 13, 2011
God bless those that initiated this.
It means we've not forgotten who we are.
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by ak47mann(m): 8:50pm On Aug 13, 2011
Good idea [b]ohanaeze [/b]nice one cool cool
we need to put the dead to there final resting place so that our land will be clean from the curse land of Nigeria, we know other parts of Nigeria innocent blood had been spill and you can see people never see peace still conflicts,the whole country need some serious prayer for the dead to finally rest, Nigerians problem is a spiritual problem,
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by IYANGBALI: 10:05pm On Aug 13, 2011
abeg make dem dey fast with it,i am into casket business i would like to supply dem with some good quality casket,their prices are moderate grin
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by AndreUweh(m): 10:16pm On Aug 13, 2011
IYA NGBALI:

abeg make dem dey fast with it,i am into casket business i would like to supply dem with some good quality casket,their prices are moderate grin
Poor boy, you are a no brainer. So this is all you can come up with. It's nice to note that you have prepared for your burial and has acquired all sorts of casket for that purpose. Unfortunately, you will be buried with only one.
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by IYANGBALI: 10:38pm On Aug 13, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Poor boy, you are a no brainer. So this is all you can come up with. It's nice to note that you have prepared for your burial and has acquired all sorts of casket for that purpose. Unfortunately, you will be buried with only one.
kai the thing pain am well well tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by ezeagu(m): 10:46pm On Aug 13, 2011
This forum is not the right place to post such topics.
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by kasiem(m): 11:05pm On Aug 13, 2011
Ezeagu nwannaa, onwegho ife n'emenu, adizina atuegwu.
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by udbyron1(m): 6:25am On Aug 14, 2011
9ice
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by emisun(m): 6:29am On Aug 14, 2011
bullshit,these oldmen are planning to siphone their budget into their personal account.am yet to see any giant socio-cultural step made by this bunch of oldmen. they should keep their superstitious beliefs for themselves.wetin b reburying dem go bring gud governance to d east. they are fools wit five exclamation marks
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by freepeople: 7:55am On Aug 14, 2011
That's a good development.

The reburial plan is [size=14pt]part of efforts at spiritual healing and cleansing of Igboland from its contemporary social woes and retardation which are believed took a more noticeable turn since the civil war[/size].
Though my view differ from the above quote; I sincerely believe that the dead must be accorded their due respect, by giving them a proper and formal burial. The war affected every family in Igboland and the scar is still visible everywhere you go in Igboland.

I pray the memorial site wont serve as a shrine. I pray that it wont serve as a reminder for vengeance. I pray it would serve as a source where the future generation would go to study the history of what really happened. We must move on from here. Two wrong only makes right in mathematics; not in real life.

IMO, [size=14pt]it would be nice if war museum and library are built beside the memorial site[/size]. This will serve to educate the future generations on their history. Cause history tends to repeat itself.
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by Reggie2(m): 8:36am On Aug 14, 2011
ezeagu:

This forum is not the right place to post such topics.

I agree that posting this topic here will not do any good because, some nit wits who know little or nothing about the Biafran war and, who care less about Ohaneze's mass burial, will spit on it. Ndigbo who understand the significance of this initiative will not like illiterates though entitled to their own opinion, to whip up unnecessary anger. Having said this, I commend those who remembered to bury and honour the dead. Whether the rest of the country likes to hear it or not, gallant Biafran soldiers who fought to defend the igbo population did not die in vain!!!  The Israelites did it after the holocaust, the Americans and all other nations honour unknown soldiers. Ndigbo have a right to bury and honour their heroes.
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by member479760: 9:29am On Aug 14, 2011
Civil war victims or Biafra war victims.
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by PointB: 9:33am On Aug 14, 2011
Reggie2:

I agree that posting this topic here will not do any good because, some nit wits who know little or nothing about the Biafran war and, who care less about Ohaneze's mass burial, will spit on it. Ndigbo who understand the significance of this initiative will not like illiterates though entitled to their own opinion, to whip up unnecessary anger. Having said this, I commend those who remembered to bury and honour the dead. Whether the rest of the country likes to hear it or not, gallant Biafran soldiers who fought to defend the igbo population did not die in vain!!!  The Israelites did it after the holocaust, the Americans and all other nations honour unknown soldiers. Ndigbo have a right to bury and honour their heroes.

So far posters here have been mature enough to ignore such people. I hope it doesn't change,
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by favouredjb(f): 9:46am On Aug 14, 2011
lol
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by marocguy(m): 9:58am On Aug 14, 2011
thats a gud one. Wishd i had tym then,i would love 2 attend. It would do more good to igboland than planned. It will unite n create more intercorperatn among igbos.
And remind some silly 'ibos' that they were n r actually igbos.
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by Gbenge77(m): 10:04am On Aug 14, 2011
Amazing.Amazing.
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by abouzaid: 12:14pm On Aug 14, 2011
There is a general consensus in igbo land that all types of evil become prevalent in igbo land after the civil war and often attributed that the bloodletting, torture,rape, and general breakdown of established moral and ethical norms all constitutes a large scale nso ani (taboo) that need to be cleansed to free us from the social evils bedevilling ani igbo today since such things were unheard of before the war. I'm aware that at the end of the agueri/ umueri conflict, the two towns jointly did an oath taking and cleansing programme that involve proper burial for the war victims to avoid spiritually induced repercussions. The same should be done for the biafran victims but it should be done in a christian manner
Re: Ohaneze Plans Reburial Of Civil War Victims by amy21: 2:44pm On Aug 14, 2011
smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

USA Visit: This Poor Guy Looks Like A Hostage - Americans Mock Buhari - Pics / Protest Buhari Inec Rigging happening now in Abuja / Israeli Warns Nigeria: No Harm Should Befall Nnamdi Kanu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.