Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,259 members, 7,807,892 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:00 PM

Tech Is The New "Oil" Money - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tech Is The New "Oil" Money (34642 Views)

Baking As The New Oil Money / Tech Is The New Gold, Don't Sleep On It!! / Founder Of Mums In Tech Is A Big Name In The UK, But Her Story Started In Yaba A (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by akwesenana: 3:04pm On Sep 22, 2022
I believe I don't have to be a graduate.
Because this ASUU strike don commot BSc certificate from my bucket list.
Na to find way buy laptop.
God will provide.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Lastpharoah33: 3:04pm On Sep 22, 2022
Can the op be replying himself?

2 Likes

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by fnep2smooth(m): 3:05pm On Sep 22, 2022
[quote author=TechGallery post=116911272][/quote]
I can teach you web development
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Dynamicboss: 3:07pm On Sep 22, 2022
ecomalchemistt:
Not really.

I got friends doing no code tech UI / UX and they don't earn more than 100k.

Go figure ?!

Dead that idea that Tech would automatically make you rich...Steven jobs type shit.

There is alot of untapped opportunities in tech and believe me it is the current and the future. Name it, all sectors leverage on tech and truly it is the new oil money. Wonder why majority of the top 10 richest men in the world are into tech?

8 Likes

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by esivue007(m): 3:07pm On Sep 22, 2022
Nechy45:
Can a non-science student get into tech? This tech is truly doing wonders
why not!
Am a student Doctor and I'm into tech.
I started months ago (web design etc..)
ASUU strike was a stepping stone...
And today,I'm still learning stuffs..
Currently Abt to start the J.s lesson.
My brother has made it big in this tech stuff starting from 3yrs ago even before he graduated from University of Ibadan.
Ui/Ux, flutter etc... Everything just dey his brain.
cool

Omo the Whole Family story Has changed like this..(u should know what I mean) cool

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Fedrick100: 3:07pm On Sep 22, 2022
fnep2smooth:
I will teach you web development

Teach me please
But someone told me it’s difficult to learn online
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by PropaneBlog: 3:09pm On Sep 22, 2022
Am seeking a career in this but lost on what to do for a start, downloaded sql but there are lot of contradictory videos on YouTube with different approach

wwwtortoise:
Tech will do to conventional jobs what electronic mail did to the post office

My journey into Data Analytics has been insightful and a blessing.

Tech Trivias!

The Firefox logo isn't a fox.

Motorola produced the first handheld mobile phone.

Apple were originally designing an apple shaped flip phone.

Nokia used to sell toilet paper.

Now you know. cool

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by anochuko01(m): 3:10pm On Sep 22, 2022
Gourdoinc:
there is no much future in tech like you presume. the next 30 years will show that. if you are wise and want relevance, always stick to anything human-centric. technology changes, humans never change. health will continue to worsen as we move into the future, go and get involved in health related domains with a focus on mitigation and care and you will have a future everyone will envy. leave the Fad called tech, it doesn't hold as much water as people ascribe it.

which kind yeye talk be this for God sake.
You talk about health... how much and how long does it take to study and become a health professional?
I know folks who are earning hundreds of thousand as undergraduates and fresh graduates in tech.
The only argument you have is about passion and vision.
There is also tech in healthcare, health professionals can easily pick that up and do well.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Ray07(m): 3:10pm On Sep 22, 2022
kekakuz:
There are alot of opportunities in tech no doubt but Oil money is still Oil money.do you see the many AY Shafa Filling stations springing up everyday.thry have no plans to improve this country. We cant have power or go green anytime soon.
Add stanel group and aa rano in the group.

Those guys the see better money.
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Skillsnigeria: 3:11pm On Sep 22, 2022
I love tech
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by int0x80(m): 3:11pm On Sep 22, 2022
And remote working is the icing on the cake. If you manage your time properly, one can comfortably combine 2-3 full-time remote jobs....excess $$ in the account. I love it grin grin

9 Likes

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Acidosis(m): 3:12pm On Sep 22, 2022
patthebulb:

According to the recent GDP report by the National Bureau of Statistics, the ICT sector contributed 18.44% to Nigeria’s GDP in the second quarter of 2022, higher than the oil sector. The sector saw a 6.55% growth rate from Q1 2022

ICT sector: MTN, Airtel, Glo, various independent internet providers, Tecno, Etc.

1 Like

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Major7: 3:12pm On Sep 22, 2022
Bodmum:
Urchins won't understand. Oloriburuku alagbado people

When are we all going to learn to put an end to tribalism If we Africans, especially Nigerians treat each other this way, then what do we expect from the outside world? Know this and know peace. Obidient I still remain.

7 Likes

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by yuzjet(m): 3:12pm On Sep 22, 2022
Wish some of the guru here can just guide us on which of the courses to choose from and the best platform to get tutored?
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by viodemus: 3:14pm On Sep 22, 2022
Use 2 years to learn C, C++, maybe C#, and javascript. With these, you can transfer it to your other skills.

With these, you can build many applications.

Some years ago, I didn't know any coding, I thought it was too late, but today I dey a little over mediocre level.

Let's not get it confused, computer tech is cool but it is not all and all.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by flexyrule(m): 3:15pm On Sep 22, 2022
Tech money is "tech money"

Oil money is "Oil money"

Never compare the two!

7 Likes

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by fnep2smooth(m): 3:16pm On Sep 22, 2022
Fedrick100:

Teach me please
But someone told me it’s difficult to learn online
No difficult.... You can now learn almost anything online.

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Ifiegboria(m): 3:18pm On Sep 22, 2022
Interesting topic
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by RepoMan007: 3:20pm On Sep 22, 2022
GreatIgboMan and TastyFriedPussy should come and discourage them o. Tech is passion and no money. You get internet data, PC, skill, roof over your head, power supply and Learning materials then work for passion. Lol.

7 Likes

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Krismas(m): 3:20pm On Sep 22, 2022
fnep2smooth:
I will teach you web development
grin Ok am in. Wen do we start
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Freelane33(m): 3:21pm On Sep 22, 2022
ecomalchemistt:
Not really.

I got friends doing no code tech UI / UX and they don't earn more than 100k.

Go figure ?!

Dead that idea that Tech would automatically make you rich...Steven jobs type shit.
Fact
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by folake4u(f): 3:21pm On Sep 22, 2022
Tech this, Tech that!!! angry
Y'all Nigerians should rest. It is NOT for everybody.

I pity the gullible ones that will subject themselves to peer pressure and do it while being frustrated.

Give it a rest PLEASE!

Next!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Rubysugar(f): 3:21pm On Sep 22, 2022
For non tech jobs, if you have no science background-

Pls look up SCRUM MASTER and BUSINESS ANALYST.

Nigeria is still behind but Nigerians in diaspora are very smart and already earning mouth watering paychecks.

No coding required.
Scrum... an agile methodology used in SDLC (software development lifecycle) . Master it, get certified, get yourself a mentor/coach, join Clubhouse discussion rooms, subscribe to scrum.org on YouTube etc
Business Analyst... you're the liason between the business and the dev team. You gather requirements, analyze and document. You can subscribe to the PrefectBA, simplilearn, Keraleise, etc on YouTube to help you learn more.

We can do this folks!

Nigerians are very smart. Opportunities abound! Go get these jobs!!

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by samuelson06(m): 3:22pm On Sep 22, 2022
kenny714433:
shocked

My little experience in tech space has made me realise it's the big deal.

So I went out to learn Data Analysis to up my skills, I am now good in excel and Power BI. I haven't made any money from Data Analysis yet but I'm still working on getting there.

What I need now is a mentor in the field who can show me the way. In case there's anyone willing to help, I'm a fast learner and you won't regret having me.

Meanwhile, the money my classmates have made from 3D animation, I don't think I have seen any government worker earning like that. Just his PC costs him almost 2 million. He owns 2 luxury cars with his own duplex. And a young guy of 25yrs at most....
Modified: Any tech guy that works for Nigerian firm is either ignorant or plain stupid. So the issue of underpayment is out of it.

I like your comment.

However, I feel you should get close to your friend and also learn that 3D animation. You could struggle with your data analysis skill because the Whites would hardly trust you to handle their data with high confidentiality. They'd feel you'd use their data to defraud them or sell it to fraudsters.

7 Likes

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by lordparcel: 3:23pm On Sep 22, 2022
cool
Trash as Usual
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by ariesbull: 3:24pm On Sep 22, 2022
YOU CAN BE A RESELLER ALSO...

COMPUTER VILLAGE GUYS ARE CASHING OUT

patthebulb:
In the same way that oil boomed in the 19th century, tech jobs are booming today.

We're talking about a $4 trillion industry with over 50% growth expected between 2020 and 2025. And guess what? It's not just about coding. Tech jobs are everywhere—from software development to user experience design and project management.

This means there will be plenty of opportunities for people who want to start their career in this field.

But where do you start? What steps should you take? How do you get a job in tech?

Keep this thread active for answers to all these questions

1 Like

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by porawio: 3:26pm On Sep 22, 2022
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by batistutajulio: 3:26pm On Sep 22, 2022
I agree it is the new oil money but only for those who are highly competent.

It is not even easy to get a job 'cause getting the job is just like any other physical hustle.

I encourage everyone to enroll in tech and acquire a skills.

I love it when people give it a chance. All the best to everyone.

2 Likes

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by sweetguy10(m): 3:27pm On Sep 22, 2022
I am very good with Jave , Core and Enterprise . I am very good and adept at software development .... I have 3 years of professional extensive software development , management and I have successfully lead two projects as the backend developer . How do I get online/remote gigs ? I need someone to please point them to me .

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by sweetguy10(m): 3:29pm On Sep 22, 2022
batistutajulio:
I agree it is the new oil money but only for those who are highly competent.

It is not even easy to get a job 'cause getting the job is just like any other physical hustle.

I encourage everyone to enroll in tech and acquire a skills.

I love it when people give it a chance. All the best to everyone.

This is not true .......in 2018 right after my NYSC a job was already waiting for me . I quit from another place in July 2022 and a week after I got employed . In fact I had three Jobs waiting but went for the one I thought will be better .

1 Like

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by wwwtortoise(m): 3:30pm On Sep 22, 2022
PropaneBlog:
Am seeking a career in this but lost on what to do for a start, downloaded sql but there are lot of contradictory videos on YouTube with different approach

Good to know.

Start from the basics - excel (from beginner—> advanced level).

SQL
PYTHON (and other libraries- Numpy, Matplotlib, pandas)

PowerQuery (for data analysis)
PowerBI/ Tableau (for dynamic dashboard & data visualization).

I’ll recommend you master excel first then cover the rest (in no particular order).

Then practice, practice and practice.

Goodluck.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Princess Owowoh Graduates In UK As First Female Officer Cadet From Nigeria / Dear Employer, Have You Seen Neymar New Salary Breakdown? – Nigerian / Lawal Ibrahim-Temitope Blind Lawyer Called To Bar And Honoured With An Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.