Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,575 members, 7,801,644 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:16 PM

I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out (52324 Views)

Man Cries Out As Cow Destroys His New Car While The Fulani Herdsmen Look On. / Hyundai Kona To Run For 482 Km When Charged, Charging Takes 9.35 Hours / Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by ChiefDelegate: 10:40am On Sep 25, 2022
Na Chicken change for Yankee na , just like spending N1500 -2k for weekly data subscription na airtime change ... No de complain or try to convert the difference. U don't spend naira in America.
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by emmaodet: 10:53am On Sep 25, 2022
KingAzubuike:

It's foolishness to carry 5-10 million to go and slave in another man's country. Why not start a business here and establish yourself. Abroad no dey as rosy as you think. Things are damn expensive and you pay for almost everything g living you with little or no savings at the end of the month

I don’t think I will blame them.
Most Nigerians are not enterprising as we think. It is poverty that pushed most to learn business by force.
If given better option, they will ditch it.
Most Nigerians are job seekers and not business-minded or innovative enough or good managers (have seen this in many companies managed by Nigerians).
A Nigerian will complain there is no light, good road, going to farm is dangerous due to Fulani herdsmen etc. You will think when he gets abroad with all the facilities on ground, he will hit the ground running but No, he becomes a job hunter hustling 2/3 jobs a day.
Now, some may give the excuse he has many bills to pay and not have time to set himself up there. …Agreed but what happens to the money they repatriate back to nigeria?
Most of their investments are either buying landed properties or building to rent out or sending cars home to be sold.
Again, this shows a mind of someone now business inclined.
Real Businesses creates jobs and that is why SMEs (Small and Medium Scale Enterprises) are the lifelines of a nation.
For a nation to grow, we need fighters and business-tigers who while making money (which is the end goal of business) are also creating jobs for the teeming youths flooding our society.
A country will never grow with funds in the hands of minds who only buy properties or build houses for rent or cars.
If we have so many SMEs, 30-70k jobs will be common. So it will be easier for a secondary school graduate, OND/HND/BSC holders to quickly cut jobs for a short time before resuming school to pay their own fees without relying on parents.
Youths can easily leave their family at a reasonable age of 23 years to start working and fending for themselves while growing.
People and govt are focusing on the big jobs and big salaries and big companies but it is the small small companies that lay the foundation needed to sustain the economy.
A 30k job here, a 40k job there, a 50k job here, a 70k job there will take a lot of youths off the street and crimes.
Am average bakery paying 30k for workers and 50k for manager.
A poultry/Fishery/Piggery paying 40k for workers and 60/70k for manager.
Milling factories - palm oil/vegetable oil/ etc
Paper mills
Saw mills
Textile mills
Mills mills mills mills are just dollars earning industries that … I just don’t know.
Food and other agro processing factories and companies etc.
many more

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by emmaodet: 10:54am On Sep 25, 2022
Regex:
Why is she complaining?

First it was the stable energy (electricity and gas) and good they used to chase clout on the Internet. Now it is comparing prices of stuff with Nigeria. If Nigeria is cheaper and better, why don't you relocate to Nigeria?

Obodo oyibo has his pros and cons likewise Nigeria, why compare?

grin
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by Kobicove(m): 11:23am On Sep 25, 2022
Make you manage am like day, no be me send you go obodo oyibo grin
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by Realguyman1(m): 11:32am On Sep 25, 2022
NOETHNICITY:
But why the thing dey pain you? Must you comment on the issue? Did she bring to matter to your page?
Oga I nor dey like wey people dey show themselves dey gather attentions just to discourage others. Nor be today we done dey hear say things they dey very expensive for most western countries.

if to say she just post about how much she spent on fixing her car for there, I for nor reason am. But why she come first dey say japa nation how far? That's to say she get other intensions apart from the high cost she spent in fixing her car.

Na that "japa nation how far" matter just para me for inside

2 Likes

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by Kobicove(m): 11:33am On Sep 25, 2022
goodman5:
Can u change brake pads with 1800 in Nigeria

Does #1,800 have the same purchasing power as $1,800? undecided

2 Likes

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by poseidon12: 11:39am On Sep 25, 2022
Nonsense.
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by Kobicove(m): 11:40am On Sep 25, 2022
Crysallis:
This complain for sympathy is unnecessary. These people earn at least $15k monthly.

Who told you that lie?!!! shocked

1 Like

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by emmaodet: 11:41am On Sep 25, 2022
HardMirror:
hehehe. imagine the guy saying 15k is the least they earn in a month. Most people are earning about $30,000 to $35,000 some even lower. Except you are in a top profession there is no way you can earn $15,000 in one month. I dont know where people see these figures o. you are right.

as for the brake pad, yes it is a lot of money, but i am not surprised she is charged that amount. this is why most Americans are good in DIY they do their own repairs. if you are engaging a profession, then you must be ready to pay

Most people earn $30,000 to $35,000 per annum? After tax I believe, right?
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by mmsen: 11:45am On Sep 25, 2022
delzbaba:
its only rational reasoning that when you buy an expensive car to show off, then forget about the future maintenance cost you will shed hot tears, the average whiteman will go for his ford or truck ,, while my naija people will get there and buy benz.

Ford na trash.

Buy Korean or Japanese if you want minimal fuss.

1 Like

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by Emyogalanya: 11:46am On Sep 25, 2022
henryobinna:
Earning in dollars does not mean she earns $1m per month. If you check very well her monthly take home might be between $5k to $10k or even less, it could be after or before tax sef. So if it's before tax, she would have to herself something like $3,750 to $7500, it varies slightly from these figures but still very close.

Having that in mind, tell me how $1800 is not a huge amount? $1800 out of $10k is 18% just to fix break pads, she would pay rent, insurance (car, health etc), mortgage if she doesn't own her home fully or isn't paying rent.

Bro, $1800 is a huge amount of money anywhere in the world, the only people it would not be huge for are millionaires or multimillionaires, both in USD.

This ur point holds no water. 1800 in any local currency is not much abeg. Except wen converted. Its the conversion thats giving u headache. Within the us its a little amount. Just the other day one actor said he spent 800k to barb his hair. Simple maths
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by emmaodet: 11:48am On Sep 25, 2022
Don27tiky:
it does not depends on the car. My friend had to abandon his car when it had gear box issue because he was charged $3000 to get it done. We found out it would cost less than #150,000 to do that here

grin
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by Emyogalanya: 11:53am On Sep 25, 2022
henryobinna:
Earning in dollars does not mean she earns $1m per month. If you check very well her monthly take home might be between $5k to $10k or even less, it could be after or before tax sef. So if it's before tax, she would have to herself something like $3,750 to $7500, it varies slightly from these figures but still very close.

Having that in mind, tell me how $1800 is not a huge amount? $1800 out of $10k is 18% just to fix break pads, she would pay rent, insurance (car, health etc), mortgage if she doesn't own her home fully or isn't paying rent.

Bro, $1800 is a huge amount of money anywhere in the world, the only people it would not be huge for are millionaires or multimillionaires, both in USD.

what if we say i built a house with N10m in ngria, and i convert the amount in dollars and showed it to someone who stayz in the usa wont he say its cheap? And buhari is working. So why are nigerians complaining

1 Like

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by emmaodet: 11:53am On Sep 25, 2022
Boladdsox:
Aunty Bisola. Where are you? For that amount I will bring breakpads from Ladipo; get tourist visa and one way flight. Fix it free if you tell your friends to bring their cars to wherever I am fixing your so they can pay my return ticket and all.

grin
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by henryobinna(m): 11:57am On Sep 25, 2022
Emyogalanya:
This ur point holds no water. 1800 in any local currency is not much abeg. Except wen converted. Its the conversion thats giving u headache. Within the us its a little amount. Just the other day one actor said he spent 800k to barb his hair. Simple maths
You couldn't even bring a solid opposing opinion to support your claim that my point holds water, isn't that funny?

Bro, anybody that tells you $1800 is not a huge amount of money anywhere in the world is lying to you bro. They're lying to you.

The average income in the US is $31k per year. That would be broken down to $2580+ per month. So, you mean to tell me that ~70% of the average income earner's salary in the US is a little amount of money grin grin grin grin. Omo sha!

Remember average income is not the least income.

The fact that you use celebrity lifestyle to gauge what is big or little doesn't help your argument.

Just so you know, people who some people don't earn upto $1800 in the US per month.

1 Like

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by henryobinna(m): 12:00pm On Sep 25, 2022
Emyogalanya:
what if we say i built a house with N10m in ngria, and i convert the amount in dollars and showed it to someone who stayz in the usa wont he say its cheap? And buhari is working. So why are nigerians complaining
In everyone of my post on this thread I've not done any kind of conversion to the naira. My interactions has been 100% based on the value of the dollar right there in the USA. $1800 is not a small amount of money.

Social media, celebrities, fraudsters and people with questionable sources of wealth would have you believe otherwise. It is not a small amount of money. Also know that I'm not saying $1800 is worth anything more than what it is.

1 Like

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by alimiadedayo1: 12:01pm On Sep 25, 2022
confirmerg:
Atiku may probably lost the next election with the turn out Obi av in this Abuja rally. Abj vote massively for PDP in the last election, and this coming election Obi will inherit that vote.

Anyway Like for Obi
Share for Atiku
obituarist your obituary will cry next year hands down
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by BennyDGreat: 12:29pm On Sep 25, 2022
emmaodet:

Most Nigerians are not enterprising as we think. It is poverty that pushed most to learn business by force.
Most Nigerians are job seekers and not business-minded or innovative enough or good managers (have seen this in many companies managed by Nigerians).
A Nigerian will complain there is no light, good road, going to farm is dangerous due to Fulani herdsmen etc. You will think when he gets abroad with all the facilities on ground, he will hit the ground running but No, he becomes a job hunter hustling 2/3 jobs a day.
Now, some may give the excuse he has many bills to pay and not have time to set himself up there. …Agreed but what happens to the money they repatriate back to nigeria?
Most of their investments are either buying landed properties or building to rent out or sending cars home to be sold.
Real Businesses creates jobs and that is why SMEs (Small and Medium Scale Enterprises) are the lifelines of a nation.
For a nation to grow, we need fighters and business-tigers who while making money (which is the end goal of business) are also creating jobs for the teeming youths flooding our society.
A country will never grow with funds in the hands of minds who only buy properties or build houses for rent or cars.
If we have so many SMEs, 30-70k jobs will be common. So it will be easier for a secondary school graduate, OND/HND/BSC holders to quickly cut jobs for a short time before resuming school to pay their own fees without relying on parents.
Youths can easily leave their family at a reasonable age of 23 years to start working and fending for themselves while growing.
People and govt are focusing on the big jobs and big salaries and big companies but it is the small small companies that lay the foundation needed to sustain the economy.
A 30k job here, a 40k job there, a 50k job here, a 70k job there will take a lot of youths off the street and crimes.
Paper mills
Saw mills
Textile mills
Mills mills mills mills are just dollars earning industries that … I just don’t know.
many more

God bless you for this wisdom

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by johhnnie(m): 1:01pm On Sep 25, 2022
ryloy:

https://twitter.com/abisinuolaa/status/1573414620718862341

Buy brake padswith life time warranty. You only purchase once for the life of your ownership of the vehicle. E.g at auto zone. You will be given free replacements each time they go low and need to be changed. You only pay for workmanship!
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by jaxxy(m): 1:06pm On Sep 25, 2022
She's free to retun back to naija anytime. I'm sure she's not on exile
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by donbenie(m): 1:17pm On Sep 25, 2022
Jonifi:
U earn in dollars why complain abi Na naira u won take pay?
Whether she earns in dollars or pounds..
1840 dollars is a lot of money,ANYWHERE in the world..
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by axponline: 1:18pm On Sep 25, 2022
In complete info. I am sure its an expensive car like a benz or lexus and she went to the dealer not a regu;ar mechanic workshop. Also, the dealer will always quote for both brake pads & rotor replacement. Some dealers even refuse to change just the pads.
So 4 wheel brake pads & rotors at a mercedes or lexus dealer will definitely cost about $1800. (Remember they use original vehicle parts not china or taiwan) That's only $450 per wheel parts & labor.
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by Jonifi(m): 1:30pm On Sep 25, 2022
donbenie:
Whether she earns in dollars or pounds..
1840 dollars is a lot of money,ANYWHERE in the world..
because u are in Nigeria.
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by jimmynauty: 1:34pm On Sep 25, 2022
Jiax $1840 = #800k.. Omo bet365 or Ladbrokes una must2collkt.
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by linearity: 1:34pm On Sep 25, 2022
APCnaPDP:
Nobody charges you that to change brake pads. Highest will be $600 and that will be considered expensive. Stop lying

Not true, it could be costlier depending on the vehicle, the type of brake pads and where you took it to.

I once called my dealer to change my brake pads, and was quoted about $2,000. I ditched them, took the risk and did it by myself and spend about $300.

Some mechanics fear to even touch my car because of the hydraulic suspension, and they charge more to have a more trained person to do, but I have done it many times just by watching YouTube videos.

It is like changing engine oil, you can do it for $20 bucks or $100 depending on the type of oil used and if you take it to a dealer, that is $150 to $200.
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by emmaodet: 1:35pm On Sep 25, 2022
henryobinna:

You couldn't even bring a solid opposing opinion to support your claim that my point holds water, isn't that funny?

Bro, anybody that tells you $1800 is not a huge amount of money anywhere in the world is lying to you bro. They're lying to you.

The average income in the US is $31k per year. That would be broken down to $2580+ per month. So, you mean to tell me that ~70% of the average income earner's salary in the US is a little amount of money grin grin grin grin. Omo sha!

Remember average income is not the least income.

The fact that you use celebrity lifestyle to gauge what is big or little doesn't help your argument.

Just so you know, people who some people don't earn upto $1800 in the US per month.

This average income. Is it pre/post tax?
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by yankison(m): 1:40pm On Sep 25, 2022
lazkizz:
angry angry angry wtf ??

By the way , I sell dried fish in cartons different types and sizes

Note !!!
I don't sell pond fish or fish farm , these are all gotten from the lake chad basin
In Maiduguri all natural and sweet

Asa mangala
Bragi mangala ( Okpo)
Mai mama ( mudfish )
Catfish round e.t.c

*My location is yola Adamawa state.

*WhatsApp the number on the pics, if you're interested

we do Nationwide delivery

Please who has bought fish from this person. Got it eventually ,I'm trying to patronize him bit need to be sure of his authenticity
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by phemocheee(m): 1:45pm On Sep 25, 2022
You're absolutely right. However, the difference between the western world and Naija is that standard of living is almost the same for everyone. Hence, artisans charge a whole lot so that they can live comfortably like everyone else in the corporate world.

It is what it is bro.

emmaodet:

$750 is about 500k now.
If I buy tokunbo car, infact if I buy Nigerian used car and decide to use it for 3 years, I won’t change my break pads with Sir K. More than 30k per year assuming I am using fake pads here in nigeria.

That is about 100k in 3 years but the truth is, since have been using cars all my life, have never changed break pads more than once in 2 years.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by Yoighaman(m): 1:46pm On Sep 25, 2022
emmaodet:

Paper mills
Saw mills
Textile mills
many more

Well said.

Wisdom, knowledge and understanding would never depart from you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by emmaodet: 1:47pm On Sep 25, 2022
phemocheee:
You're absolutely right. However, the difference between the western world and Naija is that standard of living is almost the same for everyone. Hence, artisans charge a whole lot so that they can live comfortably like everyone else in the corporate world.

It is what it is bro.

You are right.
Nobody should be slaving for others
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by henryobinna(m): 1:48pm On Sep 25, 2022
emmaodet:

This average income. Is it pre/post tax?
Pre tax.

People who earn such amount typically don't pay tax. I think they run a progressive taxing system. Where the more you earn the more tax(in percentage) you pay. There's a minimum amount before you start paying tax, I don't know the exact figure but $31k might be below those getting taxed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Things That Happen on BRT Buses / Bmw Unveils It’s Largest Suv, The 2019 Bmw X7 After 10 Years / Innoson Replies Critics, Says "Rome Was Not Built In A Day" (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.