Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,570 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:37 PM

Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. (1520 Views)

Why Is Everyone Rushing Into Programming? / Learning Programming. (my Nairaland Journal) / I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by LocalStandard1(m): 3:14pm On Sep 24, 2022
Some months ago I decided to drop animations and go into programming, a path I've always admired. So far it hasn't been easy, first month was highly depressing, excruciatingly frustrating. I started with the Python language.

Now I have this insatiable hunger and need for more, I wanted to learn more languages even though I am still at my early stage with Python. So i decided to dive into more and now I am learning three more languages after Python, namely, JavaScript, C++, SQL. I plan on being proficient in all these languages by December.

Two biggest experiences I've had are:

1. Programming makes you more intelligent and persistent. You develop that attitude to always want to surmount or crack difficult problems, in real live.

2. Starting with one language makes it more, more easier to grasp the rest, maybe even all the others.

I think starting with python is a good idea, it is simple, is an OOP and also a Functional programming. With a lot of initial disappointments and plenty patience anybody can learn, just have plenty of DATA. Some people have made it seem as if learning programming is only for the biggest brains which isn't so. Make it a point to learn something each day and if you find any challenge drop the system for some time and do something else. Youtube and Google are good learning friends here.

My small start!

7 Likes

Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by emetisuccess(m): 4:00pm On Sep 24, 2022
Oga face one language first. U go punish urself. Don't tackle three at once. U won't see it now, it's in the future that u will know that u learnt nothing. By the time u start laying hands on real life projects, u will believe programming is not a child's play. Face one thing, face one thing, face one thing. Don't what to be jack of all trades and master of none. If u like take am if u no like leave, last last na u go still cry/run for programming. I rest my case. Thanks.

4 Likes

Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by LocalStandard1(m): 5:06pm On Sep 24, 2022
emetisuccess:
Oga face one language first. U go punish urself. Don't tackle three at once. U won't see it now, it's in the future that u will know that u learnt nothing. By the time u start laying hands on real life projects, u will believe programming is not a child's play. Face one thing, face one thing, face one thing. Don't what to be jack of all trades and master of none. If u like take am if u no like leave, last last na u go still cry/run for programming. I rest my case. Thanks.

Correct. But you know, na challenge I dey give myself till the end of the year. By then I will see how far I've gone. So far, I am loving it sha.
Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:16pm On Sep 24, 2022
3 languages cheesy. I have been on javascript for more than two years and I don't even know up to ten percent of it.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by Fourpockets: 6:30pm On Sep 24, 2022
LocalStandard1:
Some months ago I decided to drop animations and go into programming, a path I've always admired. So far it hasn't been easy, first month was highly depressing, excruciatingly frustrating. I started with the Python language.

Now I have this insatiable hunger and need for more, I wanted to learn more languages even though I am still at my early stage with Python. So i decided to dive into more and now I am learning three more languages after Python, namely, JavaScript, C++, SQL. I plan on being proficient in all these languages by December.

1. Programming makes you more intelligent and persistent. You develop that attitude to always want to surmount or crack difficult problems, in real live.

2. Starting with one language makes it more, more easier to grasp the rest, maybe even all the others.

I think starting with python is a good idea, it is simple, is an OOP and also a Functional programming. With a lot of initial disappointments and plenty patience anybody can learn, just have plenty of DATA. Some people have made it seem as if learning programming is only for the biggest brains which isn't so. Make it a point to learn something each day and if you find any challenge drop the system for some time and do something else. Youtube and Google are good learning friends here.

My small start!

You're going without direction in my opinion, stick to one language!
Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by Fourpockets: 6:30pm On Sep 24, 2022
LocalStandard1:

My small start!

You're going without direction in my opinion, stick to one language
Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by chukwuebuka65(m): 6:37pm On Sep 24, 2022
I understand the angle the op is coming from. It’s not like he is studying those languages to master them and work with them, he may do in the future. But I think he wants to have an overview of the programming world , how those languages differ from each other , there similarities and all. I actually did that. When I started I was wondering why so many languages, is any better than the other. I played with php, python, C, before I settled for Javascript. So I. Think he is on the right track.

1 Like

Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by LocalStandard1(m): 6:49pm On Sep 24, 2022
chukwuebuka65:
I understand the angle the op is coming from. It’s not like he is studying those languages to master them and work with them, he may do in the future. But I think he wants to have an overview of the programming world , how those languages differ from each other , there similarities and all. I actually did that. When I started I was wondering why so many languages, is any better than the other. I played with php, python, C, before I settled for Javascript. So I. Think he is on the right track.

Thank you bro! Finally Someone who understands. And learning differ from person to person, by touching all these languages I am coming to understand one even more i.e Python. Now I'm understanding OOP in python even more by going through C++.

When my challenge time expires I know where to head to next. So far, it's a big work but I am loving it.
Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by SavageBoy: 6:53pm On Sep 24, 2022
OP change that "my small start" to "my complicated start"

There are several ways one can waste his time in this life, OP just listed one of them

2 Likes

Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by LocalStandard1(m): 7:09pm On Sep 24, 2022
SavageBoy:
OP change that "my small start" to "my complicated start"

There are several ways one can waste his time in this life, OP just listed one of them

By December we'll see.
Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by Nobody: 7:44pm On Sep 24, 2022
Excruciating ko, excruciating ni.

Nobody forced u.... something others sees as fun it reach your turn u start using grammar

Why not quit.... No shame in that....

Field is getting saturated each day... you'll be a Hero if u quit now and let others take ur spot... It's ur type when u get the job now and u get in position to interview someone u send them questions even PHd professors can't solve because u believe coding should be stressful and excruciating.

undecided
Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by LocalStandard1(m): 8:04pm On Sep 24, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

Nobody forced u.... something others sees as fun it reach your turn u start using grammar

Field is getting saturated each day... you'll be a Hero if u quit now and let others take ur spot... It's ur type when u get the job now and u get in position to interview someone u send them questions even PHd professors can't solve because u believe coding should be stressful and excruciating.

undecided

Ah! Ah!! Programming Section vawulence Chairman himself, how far?! Did you even read the post, abi you've come to spread vawulence as usual?
Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by Nobody: 8:33pm On Sep 24, 2022
LocalStandard1:

Ah! Ah!! Programming Section vawulence Chairman himself, how far?! Did you even read the post, abi you've come to spread vawulence as usual?

I read it.

U may see this as me trying to troll u Sha.

But just know ur mentality right now is flawed and will only overwhelm u pretty soon.

There's nothing like you'll be proficient in those 4 languages b4 December.

U may not even be proficient in CSS Befoe December... No caps.

To be employable and command good pay, u need to have solid 1-2 years experience in one of those languages.

No interviewer will take u seriously if u tell them u learnt and you're proficient in 3 languages in 3 months.... When u didn't even have prior knowledge.

Even if they employed u by mistake.... They'll eventually sack you... Why? because u won't be able to get industrial standard task done.

Unless the company doesn't make any money and just need a quack with surface level experience to help them build buttons and center some Divs

3 Likes

Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by LocalStandard1(m): 8:43pm On Sep 24, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

I read it.

U may see this as me trying to troll u Sha.

But just know ur mentality right now is flawed and will only overwhelm u pretty soon.

There's nothing like you'll be proficient in those 4 languages b4 December.

U may not even be proficient in CSS Befoe December... No caps.

To be employable and command good pay, u need to have solid 1-2 years experience in one of those languages.

No interviewer will take u seriously if u tell them u learnt and you're proficient in 3 languages in 3 months.... When u didn't even have prior knowledge.

Even if they employed u by mistake.... They'll eventually sack you... Why because u won't be able to get industrial standard task done.

Unless the company doesn't make any money and just need a quack

Yeah, good one. But I am not really in a rush to get a job with what I am doing. If it happens good, a big plus. I want to learn cos I have personal projects in mind, I want to build the apps I use, create many new ones.

I would love to be a millionaire in pounds programming, but first I want to enjoy learning, knowing and doing, for myself. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by Nobody: 8:46pm On Sep 24, 2022
LocalStandard1:

Yeah, good one. But I am not really in a rush to get a job with what I am doing. If it happens good, a big plus. I want to learn cos I have personal projects in mind, I want to build the apps I use, create many new ones.

I would love to be a millionaire in pounds programming, but first I want to enjoy learning, knowing and doing, for myself. Thank you.

Ok my man.

But saying u will learn All those in such short time usually piss of some people who knows it's a pipe dream.

U may feel they're hating.... But as u progress you'll understand where they're coming from

4 Likes

Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by RepoMan007: 8:55pm On Sep 24, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

undecided
Field getting saturated how?
So they should leave programming for a known kolomental like you without even a portfolio right?

Every field in the world is getting saturated. It is a matter of which is more open for saturation.

1 Like

Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by RepoMan007: 8:58pm On Sep 24, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

Ok my man.

But saying u will learn All those in such short time usually piss of some people who knows it's a pipe dream.

U may feel they're hating.... But as u progress you'll understand where they're coming from
Everybody brain isn't on the same level so leave OP alone. You always know every programmer's goal is a pipe dream without having any dream of your own. Yahoo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by RepoMan007: 9:03pm On Sep 24, 2022
@OP, you can be proficient by December as you said but understand programming is such a wide field. There is OS, Batch, Kernel, DB, Enterprise, AI and Many other programming. What you are doing is just mastering a few complementary languages/ stacks to intermediate level. There are beginners, intermediate, expert, and architect level in most IT field including programming.

1 Like

Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by Nobody: 9:04pm On Sep 24, 2022
RepoMan007:
Field getting saturated how?
So they should leave programming for a known kolomental like you without even a portfolio right?

Every field in the world is getting saturated. It is a matter of which is more open for saturation.
Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by RepoMan007: 9:08pm On Sep 24, 2022
Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by LocalStandard1(m): 9:47pm On Sep 24, 2022
RepoMan007:
@OP, you can be proficient by December as you said but understand programming is such a wide field. There is OS, Batch, Kernel, DB, Enterprise, AI and Many other programming. What you are doing is just mastering a few complementary languages/ stacks to intermediate level. There are beginners, intermediate, expert, and architect level in most IT field including programming.

Thank you for the encouragement. There are no pipe dreams, just difficult ones. And difficulty is not impossibility.
Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by Sheriman(m): 10:04pm On Sep 24, 2022
LocalStandard1:

My small start!

3D animation self no be small thing oooo!! See in this tech career no where is easy!! Nothing good comes easy man!! You just have to be serious, dedicated, focus and be consistence.
Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by LocalStandard1(m): 10:36pm On Sep 24, 2022
Sheriman Thank you.
Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by LikeAking: 10:59pm On Sep 24, 2022
LocalStandard1:

My small start!

Nice one.

Ride on.

1 Like

Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by qtguru(m): 7:35am On Sep 25, 2022
Outside Nigeria, devs use years to learn C++ , but in Nigeria someone wants to do it in months. You're just giving yourself unrealistic targets. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by LocalStandard1(m): 8:06am On Sep 25, 2022
qtguru:
Outside Nigeria, devs use years to learn C++ , but in Nigeria someone wants to do it in months. You're just giving yourself unrealistic targets. grin

Yeah but this is an entirely different breed of man, an unadulterated black one.
Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by qtguru(m): 8:20am On Sep 25, 2022
LocalStandard1:

Yeah but this is an entirely different breed of man, an unadulterated black one.

Lol Google up Dunning Kruger we've all been victims. But all the best, we'll check up December.
Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by qtguru(m): 8:22am On Sep 25, 2022
However you'd get more from Java, C++ is rare to know unless you're going into Systems Engineering or something complex. I'll say 7 months a realistic target for basic knowledge but let's see if you read all day and code all day, then there's that. Peace

1 Like

Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by LocalStandard1(m): 8:25am On Sep 25, 2022
qtguru:

Lol Google up Dunning Kruger we've all been victims. But all the best, we'll check up December.

Nope pessimist. I don't want no negativity on this journey.
Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by qtguru(m): 8:32am On Sep 25, 2022
LocalStandard1:

Nope pessimist. I don't want no negativity on this journey.

Your C++ learning path is the only part I'm pessimistic about.
Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by LocalStandard1(m): 10:23am On Sep 25, 2022
qtguru:

Your C++ learning path is the only part I'm pessimistic about.

My biggest head ache now is getting vs code to run all these languages without complications. If you know a better IDE that can run all the languages without issues pls share.

Right now learning the languages isn't the issue, I have conquered basic Python, C++ and JavaScript no problem. I just want an IDE to be able to traverse them easily.
Re: Some Months Into Programming, My Excruciating Experience. by LocalStandard1(m): 10:39am On Sep 25, 2022
tensazangetsu20, Fourpockets, chukwuebuka65, GREATIGBOMAN, qtguru, RepoMan007, etc. Pls help me, I need to know a good IDE to run these languages together, so I can switch from one to the other more easily. My VS Code has become slow and problematic. The languages are not the issue for me currently, running them is.
To clarify, I've been learning for sometime now, I just want to start hands on practical now. Thank you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dynamic Web Forms / Whats The Fate Of An Oracle Database Administrator In Nigeria / How Do I Link An Online Payment To My Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.