Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:24 AM

Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree (26311 Views)

Masters Degree Vs Bachelors Degree / Pre Degree Vs National Diploma / Pls Whats D Direct Entry Requirement For Direct Entry In Uniben And Unizik In Accounting Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by Odunharry(m): 6:39pm On Aug 13, 2011
Can someone pls tell me the difference between someone who has a B.Sc in accounting and someone who has B.Sc. (Ed) in Accounting?

Can someone who has B.Sc Ed Accounting do a masters programme in Accounting?

I need your opinion please.
Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by Nobody: 11:24pm On Aug 13, 2011
Ordinaru, a Bsc Accouting means you want to practise accounting or take a job in Accounting, while a B Ed in Accounting means you want to teach Accounting.

From my experience in Naija, most top schools offer Bsc Accounting. In fact I'm hearing Bsc ed Accounting for the first time. I'm aware of B ed Economics though.

As far as I know - and I dont claim to know everything - education accouting and related courses are offered in COEs and I'm inclined to guess that that bsc ed accounting is obtained from all these college of education turned universities like that one in Ijebu Ode(TASUED) or these distance learning centres or these centres that dot our cities claiming affiliation to one reputable university or another. I dont know of any top, even average reputable university that offers accounting education. I may be wrong.

That said, a Bsc Accounting puts you in higher stead than Bsc ed accounting, except maybe in teachiing job. But if you can get ICAN with your bsc ed, that puts you at a vantage position, even above one that has bsc accounting without ICAN.

Masters in Accounting is not so popular in Nigeria, only very few universities offer it. But if your bsc ed accounting is from a recognized school, you should be able to do your masters in Accounting with it.

1 Like

Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by Odunharry(m): 12:12am On Aug 14, 2011
@ jarus tnx vry much.
Im studying accounting education in lagos state university and i v seen d course description it states that studnt in ds dept wil be offerd b.sc ed in accounting.
Iv talk wit sm people dy say it gud cs i wil be givin double honour.wt do u think?
Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by Nobody: 7:17am On Aug 14, 2011
LASU is not a bad school.

What are your plans? Do you want to go into teaching or take a formal corporate job?
If you have your way, cross over to Accounting, if not, start your ICAN now while you continue with your accounting edu.
Bsc Accounting is more marketable than bsc ed accounting. But if that's what you get, dont be discouraged.
Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by lakeoris(m): 9:08am On Aug 14, 2011
Guy i study accounting , u shud nt be discourage acc n acc edu dey offer d same courses n u can also do ur masters in acc even ican.so u hav d same chance in securing a good job wit acc
Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by Odunharry(m): 10:00am On Aug 14, 2011
Jarus:

LASU is not a bad school.

What are your plans? Do you want to go into teaching or take a formal corporate job?
If you have your way, cross over to Accounting, if not, start your ICAN now while you continue with your accounting edu.
Bsc Accounting is more marketable than bsc ed accounting. But if that's what you get, dont be discouraged.
@ jarus tanx very much.i v alwys dreamt of working in an office ,a bank to be precise with u,im nt dscouragd cs i knw theres a reasn 4 everytn.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by Odunharry(m): 10:12am On Aug 14, 2011
@ lakeoris tnx very much.
Jarus whch uni did u graduatd 4m?
Lakeoris same question to u.@ lakeoris tnx very much.
Jarus whch uni did u graduatd 4m?
Lakeoris same question to u.
Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by Nobody: 10:23am On Aug 14, 2011
First degree in Economics from OAU + Chartered Accountant.

Worked as Tax and FIxed Asset Accountant is the downstream arm of an oil and gas group, but now in Payables(Transporters) unit of same company.
Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by Nobody: 10:36am On Aug 14, 2011
I hated Accounting like shit in secondary school (although I had B3 in it in. WAEC- reading it to pass is not a problem actually, but I just hated it)
Same in university. Where I had options, I avoided it by opting for another elective(thankfully, accoounting courses are optional in Econs dept in Ife.

But while doing my SSCE, I just decided to write ICAN, just to garnish my CV. I won overall best prize as well as best candidate in 2 out of the 3 subjects in foundation level then.

Interestingly, it was only that ICAN foundation (plus my clinching prize and less, my Econs degree) that got me my first job after NYSC - an accounting job. I wrote other stages on my job and eventually qualified.

The irony however is, although I now an ICAN certificate plus 3+ years accounting experience, I still dont like accounting job. Economics remains my first love.

1 Like

Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by chamber2(m): 11:42am On Aug 14, 2011
Well, just to add a little to what Jarus said. Having a Bsc ed. Accounting doesn't necessarily mean you will end up being a teacher, far from it and there is absolutely no discrimination between Bsc accounts and Bsc ed holders. I say this confidently because i know a lot of people who graduated with a bsc ed accounting. Infact, who is even interested in what you studied at undergrad nowadays? First degree has only prepared you to take up work-place challenges. People like jarus never studied accounting, but started working as an accountant even before he got his ican.

Back to it. Bsc and Bsc.ed accounting are almost the same thing. They take the same courses and graduate the same time. However, the guy of Bsc ed accounting takes more course than bsc accounting major. This is because he/she takes both accounting and education courses. You see, the work load for bsc ed accounting is much more. But, i would rather say also that someone with a Bsc ed has better opportunities than his counterpart with just a bsc. This just classical story of killing two birds with a stone. Should you fail to secure a job in the corporate world due to the current glut in labour market, you can easily be absorbed into the academia than your bsc ed friend. It is now a requirement that lecturers must have a degree in education. Therefore, someone with a Bsc ed accounting is exempt from such requirements. Interesting! Also, almost all universities offer Bsc ed in most courses. I think it was as a result of an education policy made in the 1980s that led to the development of these combined degrees. Am not to sure anyway. But the overall idea is to produce graduates who are competent both in subject area (accounting) and methodology (teaching). This arrangement does not by any means make a BSc ed accounting holder inferior to a Bsc accounting holder. Infact, the reverse should be the case.

Also, no employer will refuse you work just because you studied bsc ed accounting. What you need is to make the best use of your university experience. You might even end up not working as an accountant. So, why worry about the nomenclature of your degree?

On the flip side, ICAN is the only institution that discriminates between Bsc ed accounting and Bsc accounting. I don't know what their reasons are, but methinks is a myopic one. Accounting is accounting, no matter the letters attached to the degree. I am not an accountant so i may not dabble more into that.

In a nutshell, apart from ICAN discrimination, i am yet to see any such thing in the labour ,market. What is important at the labour market is your 2.1 and passing aptitude test and interviews.

2 Likes

Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by Nobody: 11:56am On Aug 14, 2011
Thanks for that more enlightened perspective, chamber.
Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by chamber2(m): 12:06pm On Aug 14, 2011
So, try as much as you can to make a good grade, especially 2.1 and 1st class. Then, if you are interested in accounting you can opt for ICAN or ACCA. Just like Jarus, i hate accounting like shit.  It still surprises me how i manged to get B in almost all accounting courses i took. But the magic is, i only read to pass the exam and not to master the course grin

I was locked out by this anti spam stuff. So, i was unable to correct a few spelling and grammatical errors.Please pardon me.
Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by Idboyostic(m): 5:20pm On Aug 14, 2011
@ Jarus&Chamber2:I fink ther is a bit of discrimination btw Bsc&Bsc.Ed,though d 2 offer almost d same courses xcept 4 d Faculty courses(1 or 2) of Edu which is added 2 Bsc.Ed .In my skl(Unilorin) 4 example,Fac of Business&soc sci regard Bsc superior 2 Bsc.Ed.durin some class n exams dey ar treated diffrntly ie dey do giv ther students an upper hand.In skl generally,dey luk down on d students of Edu as being a lesser dept in d whole skl,which mak d students not 2 be proud of puttn on ther dept Id tag on.@ Odunharry:though in Nigeria of ours,w@ u rily studied in skl doesnt matters w@ rily matter is ur qualification n hw competent u ar if givn d position u aspire.in Uilorin:u cant move 2 another dept rather d skl move U 2 another lesser dept if u dint meet up wit ur dept cgpa @ d end of ur 1st year,if u ar opportune 2 change 2 Accountn;is better u change.dont be fool wit d double honour stuff:I fink w@ dey meant by d@ is u can used it 2 teach n @ d same time work wher a Bsc holder can work unlik Bsc holders,Bsc.Ed is w@ u wil be givn @ d end of ur program n not Bsc and dis bring mi 2 another point of discrimination:in skl,wen asked abt ur dept u says Economics, CSC, Geography,Pol sci but in Edu it's called Art n Social Science Education(ASSE);so on d long run Bsc holders ave more advantage wen compare wit Ed in ther field but in times of Edu line u ave more advantage as said by Jarus. who says u cant be given a job in d bank wit ur Bsc.Ed!!! In dis life luck n connections matters alot,evrytn is not abt ur qualification but it helps.luk down on d students of Edu as being a lesser dept in d whole skl,which mak d students not 2 be proud of puttn on ther dept Id tag on.@ Odunharry:though in Nigeria of ours,w@ u rily studied in skl doesnt matters w@ rily matter is ur qualification n hw competent u ar if givn d position u aspire.in Uilorin:u cant move 2 another dept rather d skl move U 2 another lesser dept if u dint meet up wit ur dept cgpa @ d end of ur 1st year,if u ar opportune 2 change 2 Accountn;is better u change.dont be fool wit d double honour stuff:I fink w@ dey meant by d@ is u can used it 2 teach n @ d same time work wher a Bsc holder can work unlik Bsc holders,Bsc.Ed is w@ u wil be givn @ d end of ur program n not Bsc and dis bring mi 2 another point of discrimination:in skl,wen asked abt ur dept u says Economics, CSC, Geography,Pol sci but in Edu it's called Art n Social Science Education(ASSE);so on d long run Bsc holders ave more advantage wen compare wit Ed in ther field but in times of Edu line u ave more advantage as said by Jarus. who says u cant be given a job in d bank wit ur Bsc.Ed!!! In dis life luck n connections matters alot,evrytn is not abt ur qualification but it helps.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by Odunharry(m): 11:43pm On Aug 14, 2011
@ jarus n chamber i rily appreciate u guys.im so hapi for ur words,tnx alot.are u guys on fbk?my email address is harryexcel@rocketmail.com .u can add me or better stil gve me ur email let me add u guys,tnx guys.

@ jarus im plannin to sit for ican exam mayb by next year.wat is ican foundation abt?i l wil b grateful if u can gve me more info.my email address is harryexcel@rocketmail.com.
@ jarus n chamber i rily appreciate u guys.im so hapi for ur words,tnx alot.are u guys on fbk?my email address is harryexcel@rocketmail.com .u can add me or better stil gve me ur email let me add u guys,tnx guys.

@ jarus im plannin to sit for ican exam mayb by next year.wat is ican foundation abt?i l wil b grateful if u can gve me more info.my email address is harryexcel@rocketmail.com.
Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by chamber2(m): 3:11am On Aug 15, 2011
@Idboyostic
The fact that most Bsc .ed students feel inferior does not make the course inferior. Yes, most students of education in almost all Nigerian universities tend to feel inferior. But this is as a result of the general perception of the teaching professional. In Nigeria, teaching as a professional is not very attractive and that is why most people consider those studying the program or related program as though they are wasting their time. And also, most people who ended up studying accounting etc in the faculty of education never applied for it, they were offered the course when spaces in the business and social sc faculties must have been filled. Treating bsc accounting major better than bsc ed majors does not amount to discrimination, afterall they are of different faculties. lecturers tend to give preference to their own students. So, the general perception of education students in school is as a result of societal disdain towards teaching as a profession and ignorance. The need to produce graduates who are both COMPETENT in the subject area and the teaching skills led to this marriage. The graduates of education whatever are competent are assumed to be competent in both areas. after all, he who can teach it knows it. You can't give what you don't have.

A friend of mine, who studied Bsc ed economics applied to do a masters degree program in education policy studies in Canada. He made a 2.1. But fortunately for him, the school calculated his econs cgpa and his education cgpa differently. At the end it appeared that he made a 1st class in education and a 2.1 in economics. He was awarded a teaching assistance worth $16k. What do you make of this? Double honour in practice. The double honour does not mean you will be be awarded two certificates, no. In the academic circle Bsc.ed represents two honours degree. In terms of doing your masters, you can choose to do a masters in accounting or education. But, someone with just Bsc accounting will need a PGDE before he can be admitted into a masters degree program in education. Most people are ignorant of all these and they consider those stydying courses in education as being of lesser value. The irony is, those who graduated with degrees in education may end up securing jobs in the banks and oil companies while those with Business or social sc degrees may still end up teaching.My friend with a Bsc econs (2.1) university of uyo is currently teaching with his degree. My Econs HOD considers Bsc ed econs students as people with two heads, they have the subject head and the teaching head. That is a good thing. Their education courses make them very versatile. During my undergrad, i did a little research in the area of Bsc and bsc ed econs. I discovered that Bsc ed is even better, especially for people like me who would want to go back to the class room after all this corporate wahala. I wish i had chosen Bsc ed all this while. My retirement will be in the classroom, so a Bsc ed would be a better option.

So, apart from the problem of perception i think there is no identifiable discrimination in the outer society or labour market. Both are accountants. The only the difference may be in the area of individual abilities and ingenuity.

That said. @Odunharry, take your program seriously. Don't allow ignorant perception to weigh you down. Try and make a 1st class and even the Bsc accounting students will bow for you.Also, you are as qualified for any job as your counterpart with just Bsc. But you stand a better chance. The education courses you will take such as psychology, sociology etc will give you some interpersonal skills which will help you pass any interview after graduation. Take ICAN and work hard. In this age and time nobody is really interested in what you studied in school. Most lawyers are turning accountants over night and most Econs grad are either turning to I.T or accounting. So whats the heck about Bsc or Bsc ed? You can even go for an MBA if you feel you want a good grasp of business fundamentals. So, there is nothing to lose.

I am not an accountant. So, i may not be able to offer advise in that area. I need you to make a 1st class, even though i couldn't make one myself grin grin

1 Like

Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by Meklex(m): 7:34am On Aug 15, 2011
I want to study accounting in a federal polythecnic but my fear is that I got d7 in accounts in my olevels, pls is there a way forward for me?
Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by Idboyostic(m): 7:55am On Aug 15, 2011
@ Chamber2:well said bro,@ least u made mi see 1,2 points in ur write up.I thought a Bsc.Ed cant do a master in d field of study xcept in Edu line; w@ degree program will u advise 4 some1 studyn Bsc.Ed in Economics; pls enlighten mi more on dis PDGE stuff. @ Odunharry,gudluck in ur endeavours. @ Mexelyn,most universities accept a minimum of C but I dont knw maybe poly accept D.if dey do,it shud be d low standard 1s
Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by Meklex(m): 8:07am On Aug 15, 2011
@idboyostic, is account compulsory in the olevels inorder to study accounting? pls answer me.
Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by chamber2(m): 8:52am On Aug 15, 2011
@Idboyostic

what most schools look at is your transcript. If your transcript reviews that you have taken most or all of the core courses, then you will be admitted into the masters degree program.The fact is, almost all Bsc ed Econs take the core modules; they take both preliminary and advanced level Micro-macro econs, quant and econometrics courses. And these are courses that make one an Economist, and not the electives. In my school, you will hardly differentiate b/w Education/Economics majors and Economics majors.

Another mistake people make is, it is not called Accounting Education or Economics Education. Rather, it is called either Education/Economics (two d/f things) or Education and Economics.  Economics of Education is the application of economic principles and approaches in solving education problems. Also, Economics Education teaches the methodology of teaching economics. This is quite different from Education/Economics, which represents two degrees taken together.

For someone who has a Bsc .ed, you may decide to take up formal employment with the private or public sector or go to the classroom.Which ever career direction you choose depends entirely on your career goals. If you want to practice as an academic Economist, then you have to enroll for masters and then Phd. For economist positions in the private and public sector, a masters degree is sufficient, unless in a research organisation where Phd may be required.

Also, you can choose to go into finance. Take ICAN, ACCA or CFA. CFA seems to be more suited for an Economist. You can also consider taking the CIS exam. These and many other qualifications will prepare you for a career in finance. Another irony is, only a very few Nigerian Econs graduates practice as Economists. Maybe 1or 2 %. The rest become bank tellers, oil companies, consultancy etc. So, let your goal guide you.

PGDE- Post graduate Diploma in Education. It is a post graduate qualification for those who may not have studied Education and who wish to have a career or understanding of basic teaching methods. Almost all courses seem to have a post graduate diploma program. It is just an opportunity for those who may not have studied a particular program to have an understanding of it. If you have a Bsc ed. you don't need a PGDE. But if you decide to do a masters in lets say Marketing, you will be required to do a PGD in marketing before commencing the Masters program.

@Meklex

you don't need to pass accounting at o'levels in order to study accounting in the uni or poly. But, you must have credit in either Economics or Commerce. So, if you have 4-5 credits including maths, english and mybe Econs you are qualified to study accounting.

1 Like

Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by Meklex(m): 9:14am On Aug 15, 2011
ok I have MATHS ENGLISH ECONS COMMERCE AND BIOLOGY OR CRK all gotten in two sittings is it ok for admission and do institutions discriminate against candidates with two sittings especially when looking for a job?thanks
Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by agog: 1:34pm On Aug 15, 2011
just a bit digression. I heard that ICAN has entered into a partnership with some universities to run conversion program of 2 years for holder of ACA who has no first degree. Anyone in d house with useful info abt the selected schools? It will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by ednut1(m): 2:10pm On Aug 15, 2011
^babcock university only
Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by agog: 2:13pm On Aug 15, 2011
ednut1:

^babcock university only

Thank you. Somebody also told me now that OSU is running such prog also.
Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by slap1(m): 8:33am On Aug 16, 2011
I believe the only thing you have to worry about is graduating with a good grade. Look at it this way: You have a degree in Education, plus accountancy; the other guy has just a degree in accountancy . . . need I explain further?
I'm studying English language/Education in Abia State University, Uturu. When I got admission, I wanted to switch over to just English literature. Now, looking back, I thank my stars that I didn't do so.
Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by Gift4all(m): 9:24am On Aug 16, 2011
chamber2:

Also, no employer will refuse you work just because you studied bsc ed accounting. What you need is to make the best use of your university experience. You might even end up not working as an accountant. So, why worry about the nomenclature of your degree?

On the flip side, ICAN is the only institution that discriminates between Bsc ed accounting and Bsc accounting. I don't know what their reasons are, but methinks is a myopic one. Accounting is accounting, no matter the letters attached to the degree. I am not an accountant so i may not dabble more into that.

In a nutshell, apart from ICAN discrimination, i am yet to see any such thing in the labour ,market. What is important at the labour market is your 2.1 and passing aptitude test and interviews.

Someone told me that United States Embassy in Nigeria discriminates against Bsc ed. graduates.
Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by taland(m): 9:29am On Aug 16, 2011
Hi Nairalander

My company magnificent consults will be training accountants or intending accountants Peachtree Accounting by Sage between 29th August and 13th September 2011 only. for as low as N5000 / participants

We are trained professional with professional qualification and experience spanning almost 10years. Trainers are member of The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria and Holds an MBA-Finance from reputable Nigerian Universities

We will focus on the following category of Participants
1. Undergraduates, Fresh Graduates and NYSC
2. Corporate Participants (Organisation / Companies)
3. Working Class Individuals - Beginers
4. Working Class Individuals - Advanced Training

If you're interested, we will send our Total package if you send a text to: 08032897801 or 07028313882 stating:
Your Category, your e.mail, your phone number & your Location (your name is not mandatory)
Training centers will be at Surulere and Isolo Lagos state
Expect our reply soonest
Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by chamber2(m): 9:31am On Aug 16, 2011
Someone told me that United States Embassy in Nigeria discriminates against Bsc ed. graduates.

wetin concern US embassy with Bsc or Bsc ed?
Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by Gift4all(m): 10:57am On Aug 16, 2011
chamber2:

wetin concern US embassy with Bsc or Bsc ed?

They say US Embassy doesn't employ graduates with Bsc ed.
Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by Odunharry(m): 11:35am On Aug 16, 2011
i thank u all for ur concern and encouragement.r u guys on fbk ?let me add u guys.i did some research sometime about bsc ed,just nided sm people to shed more lite abt d degree.@chamberz i will try my best to make a first class in school,but i also need some tips on how to be the best in sch frm u guys.i rily appreciate u all.
Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by Tawaonas: 9:40pm On Aug 19, 2014
I have a Bsc in accounting n I want to go into the teaching profession. I know I must do a PGDE. Where is it advisable to do it? In a university or college of education? wink
Re: Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree by Nobody: 2:42am On Mar 19, 2015
Tawaonas:
I have a Bsc in accounting n I want to go into the teaching profession. I know I must do a PGDE. Where is it advisable to do it? In a university or college of education? wink
A University

(1) (2) (Reply)

Juniour WAEC Past Questions And Answers / Secondary School Boarding House List For Boys & Girls (Photo) / NUC Approves Three New Universities In Delta State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.