Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,006 members, 7,806,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:06 AM

Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? (28184 Views)

Have You Encountered Similar Situations? Please Share Your Thoughts. / What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share / How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Threesha(f): 6:49pm On Sep 26, 2022
Some companies treat their staff wrongly once they hand in resignation letters...

If an employee decides to move on, do not treat them unfairly during the notice period. Most organizations struggle with this aspect and they need to do better!

They use this period to humiliate and treat the exiting staff unfairly. Forgetting that the exiting employee is an ambassador of the organization if he/she is treated properly.

It is sad to see talents leave. Instead of handling it meanly, use the exit interview to understand why the staff is leaving, understand his/her motivations, and check if there is an alignment of the staff’s aspirations with the goals of the organization. Once this is done, it will help you know how to hire and retain employees in the future.

I have spoken with a lot of guys and most have poor experiences during their exit period. Organizations can do better in managing and handling this sensitive aspect of staff offboarding..

As a leader/HR personnel in an organization, if an employee hands in his/her resignation, you can do this:

1. First, take a moment to digest the news.
2. Notice and manage any in-the-moment reactions.
3. Depersonalize the news. Do away with any emotional reaction.
4. Be curious and show a growth mindset.
5. Show your support.
6. Thank them for their hard work during the time they've been with you. Wish them best wishes for continued success.
7. Ask for what you need.

When an individual gives notice, they likely have a desired end date in mind. After all, they will want to take a break before diving into a new job. Get alignment on what they need and what you need from them before they leave to ensure a smooth transition. It may involve some give and take and could include finishing a specific project or set of tasks, training others to take over these responsibilities to minimize disruption, or even hiring their replacement.

Someone giving notice doesn’t have to be the end of the world or the end of a relationship. As surprised as you may be, using the seven strategies above can help you respond in a constructive way that builds the relationship and helps all parties move on positively.

Have you ever encountered such? How did you handle it?

64 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by lavylilly: 8:25am On Sep 27, 2022
Yes, the last one wanted to play a smart one by not paying me. My lawyers handled it, in less than 48 hours after my last day if work alert enter

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by NwaOhafia: 1:45pm On Sep 27, 2022
wink

1 Like

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by oluwaseyi0: 1:45pm On Sep 27, 2022
Most one man business treat their staff shabbily then get offended when staff resign

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Mandesz(m): 1:45pm On Sep 27, 2022
Even peter obi never let atiku/pdp knew he's exiting. Inspite of this, Renoceros, dinosaur never change attacking him.
Be Obidient !

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Abilistic(m): 1:45pm On Sep 27, 2022
smiley

Never let anything hold you back, once you make the decision to MOVE ON.

Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by motionarena: 1:45pm On Sep 27, 2022
Not in my case I was treated nicely during my notice period

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Chijeep(m): 1:45pm On Sep 27, 2022
Just like today's politicians, most companies hire employees just to use them and turn them to slave.
They won't be happy if the person is making personal progress in life that's why they mostly offer them peanuts as salaries

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Llight101(m): 1:45pm On Sep 27, 2022
Not really.
But most Employers in Nigeria are brutal. For me once you start misbehaving, booom! I'm out.

5 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Resther(f): 1:45pm On Sep 27, 2022
Not in my life
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by vyraldezigns(m): 1:46pm On Sep 27, 2022
Really?
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Dukeolumidemans(m): 1:47pm On Sep 27, 2022
Yes and I handled it well. I focussed on my task and did it well as usual. Did my handover and walked away without looking back even though I wasn't paid three times in 3 different places...
People believe that KINGS are made but I believe that KINGS are born. It's only a matter of time before they emerge!!

I come in peace!!!

12 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by iHart(m): 1:47pm On Sep 27, 2022
In my own case, my boss didn't really treat me bad until the last day. I gave him three months notice and he felt I would change my mind before the expiration of the three months. He begged me through proxies to stay. One month passed, two months passed and at the end of the third month, on the very last day, he hired thugs to manhandle me. I started recording the whole show and told them that the very moment they touch me, I will go live. When they saw I was ready to push the video to Facebook, they retreated and told my boss to allow me go in peace. That was how I left in peace.

42 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by yuzjet(m): 1:47pm On Sep 27, 2022
Nigerian organisation can't deal with offboarding staff.

Even those performing well, they are treated bad, talk less of a staff that's tendered his/her resignation.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Tomarley: 1:48pm On Sep 27, 2022
I have been in this situation before. After all my service and hardwork,I was laid off

2 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Nsonaso(m): 1:52pm On Sep 27, 2022
Ha, I don't understand. I thought if you hand in your resignation letter to HR, you're supposed to use the door and kiss the organization good bye.

The unfair treatment is it when they meet on the road or shopping mall or where?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Capernum: 1:53pm On Sep 27, 2022
Hmm
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Kizzygentle: 1:54pm On Sep 27, 2022
No i
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Chizzyjforce: 1:58pm On Sep 27, 2022
No. I don't resign from jobs, I get sacked. undecided undecided undecided

11 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Boldtrust(m): 1:58pm On Sep 27, 2022
As soon as I announced my resignation, my former employer went from a friendly boss to a devious vicious man overnight. He was owing me 3 months salary. I dragged him to the Citizens Mediation Center but had to let it go. After 5 moths, they were still struggling to get a replacement for me. He called to ask if I can work for him on a 3 month contract, I humbly declined. A few months later, the company folded up. Most employers are horrible to their employees. That's the awful truth.

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by lolu2019: 2:07pm On Sep 27, 2022
ITprox technologies limited is the best company I av ever worked.I only called that I was resigning. It was impromptu.I left before the month end.and all my money was paid.they didn't ask me to write official resignation letter.so good I just have to mention the name of the company.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Passionate888: 2:07pm On Sep 27, 2022
Nigeria for you
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by spy24(m): 2:09pm On Sep 27, 2022
iHart:
In my own case, my boss didn't really treat me bad until the last day. I gave him three months notice and he felt I would change my mind before the expiration of the three months. He begged me through proxies to stay. One month passed, two months passed and at the end of the third month, on the very last day, he hired thugs to manhandle me. I started recording the whole show and told them that the very moment they touch me, I will go live. When they saw I was ready to push the video to Facebook, they retreated and told my boss to allow me go in peace. That was how I left in peace.

You be hit man ? grin grin

15 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Omniman(m): 2:17pm On Sep 27, 2022
grin before I left my company, I noticed those that left before me, how they were treated...

At first they try to upgrade their salaries and plenty promises and if the answer is still No. They try to treat them unfairly.

I just told them I am going for an important course that will be of benefit to me and the company in the future. So they offered to pay for the course, I told them I will handle it. That was how I left... wink

32 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Giraffe14: 2:18pm On Sep 27, 2022
cheesy
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by callmemakaveli: 2:19pm On Sep 27, 2022
shocked

I can't relate though!.

I'm my own BOSS!. wink

5 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by ominilongest(m): 2:23pm On Sep 27, 2022
I Bleep my boss wife she gve birth to triplet she no wan let me go so I sign life contract in za oza room fa
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by bigdammyj: 2:24pm On Sep 27, 2022
Reading...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2021 Nigerian Customs Recruitment / Massive Nationwide Recruitment At Origin Group (Over 70 Slots) / Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.