Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,824 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:28 AM

Political Jargons Among Nigerians - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Political Jargons Among Nigerians (15278 Views)

A Guide To Understanding 5 Economic Jargons In The Speech / Obi Most Popular Choice Among Nigerians — Kwakol Poll / Who Else Noticed Thesethings Among Nigerians During This Xenophobia Attck In SA? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by Promoter2: 7:11pm On Sep 27, 2022
Nigeria is one crazy place. See my siggy
Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by ThierryJay: 7:12pm On Sep 27, 2022
That Godmother I suspect is Orji Uzor Kalu's mum.
Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by ezegenigbonine: 7:12pm On Sep 27, 2022
igbotormentor:
2023 will be interesting

Abi mr slowpoke
Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by BABANGBALI: 7:12pm On Sep 27, 2022
Jennifer663:
Funny
do you have voter's card? I don't think so
Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by BABANGBALI: 7:13pm On Sep 27, 2022
ThierryJay:
That Godmother
there is nothing like godmother in the Nigerian politics

1 Like

Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by Nobody: 7:15pm On Sep 27, 2022
ezegenigbonine:

Abi mr slowpoke
ooooh your father
Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by dazzlingd(m): 7:15pm On Sep 27, 2022
Urchins Agbadorians Tinubu Bats

Obidiotss, obituary, Peter Obi, zombiedient

Atiku
Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by meteoric(m): 7:24pm On Sep 27, 2022
Axis313:
As the
You can add your own.

This is a spectacular analysis of the past and current political scene in Nigeria!
Bravo!
Very well written

1 Like

Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by delpee(f): 7:25pm On Sep 27, 2022
@number 10 is the one that gives the least headache to hardened politicians except that they may sometimes sway people's opinion based on their aggressive ranting. smiley

@OP
Well done.
Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by GGirll: 7:27pm On Sep 27, 2022
Axis313:
I will like to add more,

ALIGNMENT AND REALIGNMENT

Alliance and merger between political heavyweights especially when election Drew's nearer.

OBIDIENTS

Loyal followers of Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi.

BATISTS

Loyal followers of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu,presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC)

Mikano boys nko

1 Like

Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by maxzzo1(m): 7:27pm On Sep 27, 2022
Carry go is assurance
Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by viodemus: 7:33pm On Sep 27, 2022
oga Tinubu has nothing to offer except to mc olomo and his kinds running the cbn, commerce, shipping, and other sectors.

We can't afford that now or ever.

You can run for leadership without Godfather if you know what you are doing. oga wike does not have a godfather. if you have sense, you will say nothing until you get in. Because currently, many old corrupt leaders in various places are looking for deals and leaks on proposed businesses to invest in. They want their stooges to assist them on stocks, set them up for projects that they can take lots of money, etc so as a society, we need to start thinking about how to tackle low level corruption especially in govt.

Don't mistake mentor for godfather.
Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by NapoleonHill: 7:34pm On Sep 27, 2022
Electioneering
Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by ezegenigbonine: 7:41pm On Sep 27, 2022
igbotormentor:
ooooh your father

OMO ALE

And who said that Yoruba respects elders?
Imagine this ONUKWU YORUBA calling my father without respect. I laugh in japan
Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by onunwa21(m): 7:47pm On Sep 27, 2022
Structure
Axis313:
As the 2023 general election draws nearer and the campaign started less than 24 hours away,Nigerians will started to hear many political terminologies synonymous to the country,and I am sure new ones will surely join those that I have known before the election proper.

Below are the those I can find,both the existing ones and new ones,according the present political situation

1. ‘GODFATHER’

The Godfather is real, he is not a myth. You will find people who will tell you a Godfather is not necessary for you to succeed in politics. If you agree, you have failed already, you don’t have to take my word for it. A Godfather doesn’t have to be rich (most of them are), old (a lot of them are) or very loud (the louder the less effective). A Godfather is someone who gives the word and it gets passed down the value chain. You need to get on his radar, or on the radar of someone who knows someone who knows him. The most important currency you need when you are relating with a Godfather is Loyalty. Forget about how brilliant or competent you are – all those can be found elsewhere.

2. ‘GODMOTHER’

This one might sound strange, but she exists. The curriculum vitae of the Godmother might even be longer than that of the Godfather. She was a young girl who served tea at meetings with Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe. She was Welfare officer of her Ward when Chief Obafemi Awolowo started Unity Party of Nigeria after rebranding from the Action Group. She was one of the young girls who ironed the prison uniforms of Hajia Gambo Sawaba. You can afford to piss off the Godfather, the Godmother can intercede on your behalf. The problem this presents is that whatever you do, you never cross the Godmother. If you do, you are on your own.

3. ‘BARBED WIRE’

In politics, if you run into a problem that seems intractable, it means you have run into ‘barbed wire’. If you are not careful, as you try to extricate yourself from the wire, a wrong move could plunge you deeper into the mess of wires. There are many barbed wire situations in politics. You cannot always avoid getting into trouble, but at least don’t be foolhardy and look before you leap. Examples of ‘barbed wire’ situations are refusing to follow instructions of party leaders, dating the lady the Party Leader is interested in, forgetting to supply diesel to the Party Chairman or sending a goat to the Market Women Leader instead of a cow.

4. ‘ON GROUND’

In 2019, I was trying to support one of the female candidates in Ekiti for the State House of Assembly. She was a strong candidate, from a prominent family, well educated and a committed party member. She ticked all the right boxes. I had put in a good word for her and assumed that all would be well and the process would take care of itself. I travelled out of the country for two weeks. When I got back, my plan was to stay in Lagos for another week to attend to some things. I spoke to my husband when I got home from the airport and when I asked how things were going in Ekiti he said, ‘I understand your candidate is not ‘on ground’. I was stunned, I had no idea what that meant. Everyone knew who she was! I abandoned my plans to stay in Lagos and went straight back to Ekiti. After a week of face to face meetings (which included kneeling) appeals, and the necessary motivations, my candidate was firmly ‘on ground’. Being ‘on ground’ is metaphorical as well as literal.

5. ‘CONSENSUS’

This one is straightforward. The leaders invite you to a meeting. They appeal to you to accept their proposals. They offer you incentives or make promises. You listen and agree to play your part, whatever that part is. If you dislike your part, you are free to join another party.

6. ‘STINGY’

Yes, ‘Stingy’ is a political term, hence it deserves a place in this glossary. Facilitating a school for your community, providing a primary healthcare clinic, digging a borehole or providing solar light are commendable things. You are still ‘Stingy’. You bought ‘empowerment materials’ and gave out Okadas, sewing machines, hairdryers, grinding machines. You are still ‘Stingy’. You gave Christmas/Ramadan gifts to the Chairman, Youth Leader, Woman Leader, Labour, Artisans, Okada riders and so on, you are still ‘Stingy’. Do you want to know how not to be ‘Stingy’? Forget the Bible verse about the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. Next time you do anything in your community, forget about being modest. Modesty is the downfall of the ambitious politician. Grab a microphone or megaphone and let the whole world know who was given what, where, when and how. Until then, you are ‘Stingy’.

7. ‘YOU ARE THE FIRST’

As a politician who doesn’t have a lot of experience, everywhere you go, you will hear, ‘You are the first to do this…….’. You will visit ten places and they will say this to you ten times. It is a lie. They have said the same thing to every person who went to campaign there.

8. ‘ENDORSEMENT’

As a politician, you will seek endorsements from many important stakeholders. Royal fathers will listen to you and pray for your success. They will tell you what their communities need. Religious leaders will lay their hands on you. Market women will list their demands and dance for you. Young people will demand for jobs and more attention. Women will demand for 35% inclusion. You will say yes to all demands and they will say yes, you have our support. Everyone asks for endorsement. Everyone gets it. You will not know for sure till election day.

9.‘CARRY ALONG’

In political circles, you will hear this a lot, ‘I have not been carried along’, or ‘We the leaders have not been carried along’. You will stand there scratching your head in disbelief. You invite people to meetings to discuss issues and take a position and they still turn around to say ‘We were not carried along’. If you do not make time to visit a leader and have a private session with him and believe he will be happy with a town hall meeting that involves many other people, you have not ‘carried him along’ because you have not made him feel special. If you invite people to a meeting and do not provide adequate transport fare, you have not carried them along. If you only gave your party leader N50,000 when his daughter was getting married, you have not carried him along. If you only sent two chickens to the wife of the leader for Christmas, you have not carried her along. If you did not sponsor anyone to Mecca or Jerusalem from your constituency, you have not carried people along. Hope you understand the term better now.

10. ‘SOCIAL MEDIA WARDS AND UNITS’

The citizens in these units are very passionate and engaged. Their opinions and insights are interesting and can be profound, all reflections of the patriotism that drives many of them. Though there are those who give cause for concern about the state of their mental health, these political units serve as a rallying point for a lot of young and middle-aged voters. The problem is the number of opinions and solutions in these units does not match the number of voters’ cards needed to make a difference. There are no physical polling units here and while these units have many returning officers, they are all illegal. Many political fortunes have been led astray in these units. If you are a politician who is serious about winning elections, maximise your engagement with the people who can actually vote and are keen to do so in real polling units and wards.

You can add your own.

1 Like

Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by Emman08: 7:56pm On Sep 27, 2022
Structures

The number of people you can pay to rally others and vote for you
Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by Anndrew(m): 7:56pm On Sep 27, 2022
Lagos==some one came and took over and became a Godfather....he call himself the kingmaker..

Anambra===some one came,fight and took over Godfathers..he laid the path to the foundations..

2023==come the biggest surprise and most shocking defeat of the Godfathers....
Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by DaddyFabooluz(m): 8:11pm On Sep 27, 2022
Jestin:
U forgot to mention Delegates. The thieves that are only interested in their pockets and present us with walking corpse. Obi is the hope for tomorrow

Oh see how stupid you sound. Obi no get delegates abi.

Now before Obi joined labour party he was in Apga, left the party without reasons we know clearly after swearing not to leave. He joined PDP which is same party people condemn today. So wait let me ask, he was the only saint in PDP and didn't know Atiku was a thief as people say when he wanted to be his vice president.

Now he saw there was no hope to be the vice president anymore and ran to Labour party for his selfish ambition and suddenly he becomes a saint out of sentiment. His dumb followers like you say he is the man that is not currupt but think he joined a party LP just like that to hold the highest position when he attributed nothing?

Make una leave sentiment aside and be real. These guys are all the same. He still has pdp friends and blood in him. If pdp is a party of thieves, OBI is also a thief no doubt, just say people want him out of sentiment.

Even major political stake holders in the East are still against him because they know him better but see that he got the attention of so many ignorant Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by Axis313(m): 8:13pm On Sep 27, 2022
GGirll:

Mikano boys nko

Lol,I missed that one.The Atiku is coming gang.
Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by chatinent: 8:14pm On Sep 27, 2022
How about those who rat?
Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by KnowAll(m): 8:20pm On Sep 27, 2022
Stomach infrastructure- Ayo Fayoshe gave us this political word for free.
Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by oguntoyese: 8:46pm On Sep 27, 2022
As the 2023 general election draws nearer and the campaign started less than 24 hours away,Nigerians will started to hear many political terminologies synonymous to the country,and I am sure new ones will surely join those that I have known before the election proper.

Below are the those I can find,both the existing ones and new ones,according the present political situation

1. ‘GODFATHER’

The Godfather is real, he is not a myth. You will find people who will tell you a Godfather is not necessary for you to succeed in politics. If you agree, you have failed already, you don’t have to take my word for it. A Godfather doesn’t have to be rich (most of them are), old (a lot of them are) or very loud (the louder the less effective). A Godfather is someone who gives the word and it gets passed down the value chain. You need to get on his radar, or on the radar of someone who knows someone who knows him. The most important currency you need when you are relating with a Godfather is Loyalty. Forget about how brilliant or competent you are – all those can be found elsewhere.

2. ‘GODMOTHER’

This one might sound strange, but she exists. The curriculum vitae of the Godmother might even be longer than that of the Godfather. She was a young girl who served tea at meetings with Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe. She was Welfare officer of her Ward when Chief Obafemi Awolowo started Unity Party of Nigeria after rebranding from the Action Group. She was one of the young girls who ironed the prison uniforms of Hajia Gambo Sawaba. You can afford to piss off the Godfather, the Godmother can intercede on your behalf. The problem this presents is that whatever you do, you never cross the Godmother. If you do, you are on your own.

3. ‘BARBED WIRE’

In politics, if you run into a problem that seems intractable, it means you have run into ‘barbed wire’. If you are not careful, as you try to extricate yourself from the wire, a wrong move could plunge you deeper into the mess of wires. There are many barbed wire situations in politics. You cannot always avoid getting into trouble, but at least don’t be foolhardy and look before you leap. Examples of ‘barbed wire’ situations are refusing to follow instructions of party leaders, dating the lady the Party Leader is interested in, forgetting to supply diesel to the Party Chairman or sending a goat to the Market Women Leader instead of a cow.

4. ‘ON GROUND’

In 2019, I was trying to support one of the female candidates in Ekiti for the State House of Assembly. She was a strong candidate, from a prominent family, well educated and a committed party member. She ticked all the right boxes. I had put in a good word for her and assumed that all would be well and the process would take care of itself. I travelled out of the country for two weeks. When I got back, my plan was to stay in Lagos for another week to attend to some things. I spoke to my husband when I got home from the airport and when I asked how things were going in Ekiti he said, ‘I understand your candidate is not ‘on ground’. I was stunned, I had no idea what that meant. Everyone knew who she was! I abandoned my plans to stay in Lagos and went straight back to Ekiti. After a week of face to face meetings (which included kneeling) appeals, and the necessary motivations, my candidate was firmly ‘on ground’. Being ‘on ground’ is metaphorical as well as literal.

5. ‘CONSENSUS’

This one is straightforward. The leaders invite you to a meeting. They appeal to you to accept their proposals. They offer you incentives or make promises. You listen and agree to play your part, whatever that part is. If you dislike your part, you are free to join another party.

6. ‘STINGY’

Yes, ‘Stingy’ is a political term, hence it deserves a place in this glossary. Facilitating a school for your community, providing a primary healthcare clinic, digging a borehole or providing solar light are commendable things. You are still ‘Stingy’. You bought ‘empowerment materials’ and gave out Okadas, sewing machines, hairdryers, grinding machines. You are still ‘Stingy’. You gave Christmas/Ramadan gifts to the Chairman, Youth Leader, Woman Leader, Labour, Artisans, Okada riders and so on, you are still ‘Stingy’. Do you want to know how not to be ‘Stingy’? Forget the Bible verse about the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. Next time you do anything in your community, forget about being modest. Modesty is the downfall of the ambitious politician. Grab a microphone or megaphone and let the whole world know who was given what, where, when and how. Until then, you are ‘Stingy’.

7. ‘YOU ARE THE FIRST’

As a politician who doesn’t have a lot of experience, everywhere you go, you will hear, ‘You are the first to do this…….’. You will visit ten places and they will say this to you ten times. It is a lie. They have said the same thing to every person who went to campaign there.

8. ‘ENDORSEMENT’

As a politician, you will seek endorsements from many important stakeholders. Royal fathers will listen to you and pray for your success. They will tell you what their communities need. Religious leaders will lay their hands on you. Market women will list their demands and dance for you. Young people will demand for jobs and more attention. Women will demand for 35% inclusion. You will say yes to all demands and they will say yes, you have our support. Everyone asks for endorsement. Everyone gets it. You will not know for sure till election day.

9.‘CARRY ALONG’

In political circles, you will hear this a lot, ‘I have not been carried along’, or ‘We the leaders have not been carried along’. You will stand there scratching your head in disbelief. You invite people to meetings to discuss issues and take a position and they still turn around to say ‘We were not carried along’. If you do not make time to visit a leader and have a private session with him and believe he will be happy with a town hall meeting that involves many other people, you have not ‘carried him along’ because you have not made him feel special. If you invite people to a meeting and do not provide adequate transport fare, you have not carried them along. If you only gave your party leader N50,000 when his daughter was getting married, you have not carried him along. If you only sent two chickens to the wife of the leader for Christmas, you have not carried her along. If you did not sponsor anyone to Mecca or Jerusalem from your constituency, you have not carried people along. Hope you understand the term better now.

10. ‘SOCIAL MEDIA WARDS AND UNITS’

The citizens in these units are very passionate and engaged. Their opinions and insights are interesting and can be profound, all reflections of the patriotism that drives many of them. Though there are those who give cause for concern about the state of their mental health, these political units serve as a rallying point for a lot of young and middle-aged voters. The problem is the number of opinions and solutions in these units does not match the number of voters’ cards needed to make a difference. There are no physical polling units here and while these units have many returning officers, they are all illegal. Many political fortunes have been led astray in these units. If you are a politician who is serious about winning elections, maximise your engagement with the people who can actually vote and are keen to do so in real polling units and wards.

You can add your own.

This is incredible, u mean this insight is from a woman.
Am really impressed.
Even if u are not a grass rooter, u are well informed in what it entails.

Am impressed.

It now depends on who the voters want.

1 Like

Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by Elbethel1: 8:48pm On Sep 27, 2022
Interesting
Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by Krismas(m): 9:12pm On Sep 27, 2022
grin So all of a sudden ATIKUlated has been forgotten grin
ATIKUlated is any politician that be described as OLULE in presidential elections for atleast 4 major times.

While OLULE is any politician that fail in his quest to win presidential elections several times grin

1 Like

Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by eneyoduke(m): 9:31pm On Sep 27, 2022
Peter the Rock

Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by BethiMcCauley: 10:10pm On Sep 27, 2022
Before you pick your candidate, consider their age, mental and physical health

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRnnTjfOL8Y
Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by kosiebe(m): 10:16pm On Sep 27, 2022
STRUCTURES
Re: Political Jargons Among Nigerians by naijapikin2(m): 11:07pm On Sep 27, 2022
1. Emi lol kan... This means: rubbish
2. Bullion van. This means: apc thief.
3. Agbado this means: whatever..
4. Cassava.this means:whatever season2
5. Tinubu. This means: 85 year's old, 69 years old man.. if you understand.

6. Peter obi. This means: vote wisely to avoid "buharisation" part2

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oil Marketers To Resume Fuel Importation / You Are 70 Not 60 - Pdp Tells Tinubu / Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.