Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,761 members, 7,802,322 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:28 PM

Images As A Text On Your Website Or Text Only - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Images As A Text On Your Website Or Text Only (874 Views)

Easiest Ways To Change Colour & Text On Wordpress / 5 Factors That Make Your Website Stand Out / How To Add Your Website To Google Chrome Appstore And Get Traffic To Ur Site (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Images As A Text On Your Website Or Text Only by smartsoft(m): 2:41pm On Aug 20, 2007
Hello guys using Image as a text on your website or purely text instead of image what do you think,
Re: Images As A Text On Your Website Or Text Only by my2cents(m): 8:16pm On Aug 20, 2007
smartsoft,

it depends. why not post an example of what you mean (i am a very visual-oriented person wink).
Re: Images As A Text On Your Website Or Text Only by smartsoft(m): 8:37pm On Aug 20, 2007
hummmmmmm
Re: Images As A Text On Your Website Or Text Only by simplyme3(f): 9:29pm On Aug 20, 2007
i know for u?
Re: Images As A Text On Your Website Or Text Only by Cactus(m): 9:50pm On Aug 20, 2007
what is images as text? what you are refering to is using images to replace text. for example menus. instead of writing HOME, CONTACT, BLOG, you use pictures to represent them.

If i can do without using images, I will not use images?
Re: Images As A Text On Your Website Or Text Only by krs1(m): 4:54am On Aug 21, 2007
from an SEO point of view, images as text is a no-no.
on the other hand, if you want fancy text for your menu tabs or navigation links, best option would be to use CSS to style them.
Re: Images As A Text On Your Website Or Text Only by smartsoft(m): 11:47am On Aug 21, 2007
@ Cactus yeah you get me
@ Kris what i thinkk is if you want to have image as link, it should be 50% image and 50% text
Re: Images As A Text On Your Website Or Text Only by krs1(m): 10:25pm On Aug 21, 2007
@poster
its not only links that are considered in Search Engine Optimizations especially if the info you want to represent is a major keyword for your site.
Other than for SEO purposes, i dont see why a site developer cant use images and/or text to represnt info.
it is all a matter of what the developer want to achieve on the website design.

smartsoft:

@ Kris what i thinkk is if you want to have image as link, it should be 50% image and 50% text
i dont quite understand how you could have 50% image and 50% text in one object. Or do you mean text in the title attribute of an <a> tag ?
Pls enlighten me
Re: Images As A Text On Your Website Or Text Only by webemerald(m): 6:06am On Aug 25, 2007
Considerin dat even with css ,some computers might nt render ur txt well esp when u use extremely stylish fonts,id recomend using images esp 4 imp sections bt b careful nt 2 use it generaly as it wil slow down ur page.
Re: Images As A Text On Your Website Or Text Only by juintade(m): 3:13pm On Aug 25, 2007
@poster

I wont personally advise you use to use image as text, and as some of the response has clearly stated is is not search engine friendly, but I do agree with the user that recommended that u should make use of css, that is one of the main reason for having css.

The other reason why I would not advise you to use is image, is due to accessibility issue, in the UK, designers and developers are now considering this, its becoming a big issue, and even Adobe is beginning to encourage flash developers to consider it. It might not be a big deal in Nigeria at the moment, but think of the future.

Well if you do decide to use image, dont forget the alt tags(I am an accessibility addict, sorry about that) and for larger image, you might want to cache the images on the client computer before hand. To do this use the image tag but set the height and width to 1, this would precache the image before to use gets to the page where it is needed.
Re: Images As A Text On Your Website Or Text Only by my2cents(m): 1:34am On Aug 26, 2007
juintade,

on another accessibility note, consider using the "title" attribute as well - "alt" will only appear if the image is missing or not loaded whereas "title" will show when you hover over it (as in a tooltip).

all:

if ever you have to decided b/w text and images, consider using this cool technology called sifr:

what it is/when to use/when not to use it: http://www.mikeindustries.com/sifr/
examples: http://www.isarie.com/index.php?p=17&o=30#fonts

this technology basically takes an "id" you have associated with say, an H1 tag and, via javascript, rewrites that text as a flash object. In the end, your text comes out crisper and as though they were vector images. When the text is rendered, it is not done as a flash object though (you can confirm this by clicking on it. You won't see the "flash player' context menu). It is still text and it is still accessible. It's just rendered differently.

Granted I have given you 2 links above, one thing you should never do with it: apply it to all the text on your pages. Why? There is significant overhead associated with it. When I use it, it is just for my page titles.

Enjoy!

(1) (Reply)

Webmasters: Article Request / Link Your Website To Big Search Engines (FREE) / Do You Use Javascript Libraries?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.