Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,750 members, 7,806,046 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:41 AM

Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni (18689 Views)

Peter Obi With Arise TV Presenters, Reuben Abati, Rufai Oseni, Ckay / Oshiomhole Dances With Rufai Oseni (Video) / Tinubu's UK Campaign Posters: Is He Running For The Mayor Of London? Rufai Oseni (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by begoniaa: 8:37am On Oct 05, 2022
netmillionaires:
He said what he said because people who go about shouting VOTE WISELY doesn't even know who the wise choice is. They implied VOTE OBI. To them any vote apart from a vote for Obi is not a WISE VOTE.

You're just making conjectures and reaching far. grin

If you know your preferred candidate is the wise choice, go on to speak about him/her then.
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by ShaqFu: 8:38am On Oct 05, 2022
The problem have always been Nigerians and their mentality. Until we decide to make this country great again, we will continue to be like this forever.
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by waslag11(m): 8:45am On Oct 05, 2022
Buckeyemedia1:
A very lazy nation of people, that have refused to work, always looking for a scapegoat to blame for their woes.

Vote from now till 2054, a bad tree can never yield good fruits, a bunch of hypocrites, multiply Peter Obi into 7, and Nigeria will still be the same.

By 2054 the Naira will be so worthless against the dollar, that there wouldn’t be an exchange rate for it anymore.

Thanks for your comments, instead of us looking beyond the presidency, look critically at other sectors but our lazy minds and mental illness won't allow us. Apart from politicians tell me what is working in Nigeria. If you ask supporters of Tinubu, obi, and Atiku who represent your Local Government, state level, and federal level they don't have the answer for it
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by frog12: 8:54am On Oct 05, 2022
who has been in charge of NIGERIA since then grin grin grin grin

na dem you go blame

Buckeyemedia1:
A very lazy nation of people, that have refused to work, always looking for a scapegoat to blame for their own woes.

Vote from now till 2054, a bad tree can never yield good fruits, bunch of hypocrites, multiply Peter Obi into 7, Nigeria will still be the same.

By 2054 the Naira will be so worthless against the dollar, that there wouldn’t be an exchange rate for it anymore.
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by hotseat: 8:59am On Oct 05, 2022
Rufai Oseni is not far from the truth!

I sometimes ask myself if truly this is the Nigeria of old.

To say poor leadership is the bane of Nigeria would amount to flogging a dead horse.

Our so-called leaders, both past and present, and, perhaps, future have one mindset.

Leadership is seen as a juicy avenue to liquidate the treasury and not to serve the country or its people.

The true meaning of the word "leadership" has been turned on its head.

Simply put, there's no LOVE FOR COUNTRY!

Nigeria, so blessed, yet so cursed!

What a paradox!
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by Tareq1105: 9:21am On Oct 05, 2022
begoniaa:
Please, say it louder for the upside-down thinking and blind bats at the back who have cotton wools stuck in their ears.

They shouldn't vote wisely o; they shouldn't.

I pity the urchins at the lowest totem pole of the country especially.

The woes of this country was caused by Babangida.

I want those born in the 70s only to respond.
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by Thazard(m): 9:22am On Oct 05, 2022
Lionize:
We know na. The truth is, the more we continue to recycle those we know are corrupt and have ganged up "to share the seat of power" amongst themselves, the worse we become, never better. Anyday we have a president who himself is not a big thief and does not allow those surrounding him to steal with impunity, knowing how else to move Nigeria forward is a secondary issue.
100% on point.
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by Nobody: 9:25am On Oct 05, 2022
I don't know why people still don't get this point. The value of a currency against another depends mainly on the balance of trade between the two countries. At the time he pointed out, Nigeria was exporting massively (oil, agric products etc). Most of the materials we use were produced here. The reverse is the case now.

1 Like

Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by Perfectbeing(m): 9:38am On Oct 05, 2022
It is obvious some people you think are intelligent are very dumb..

Imagine one fool telling me that in those days a Mercedes benz cost less than N100. I asked him how many people could afford that N100 car compared to today where millions of people can afford cars worth million..

Rufai is an illiterate.. South Korea currency stands at $1-1000 WON. Does that make Ghana's economy with a currency rate of $1-10.45 Cedis better than it?

1 Like

Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by whizzler: 9:38am On Oct 05, 2022
Buckeyemedia1:
A very lazy nation of people, that have refused to work, always looking for a scapegoat to blame for their own woes.

Vote from now till 2054, a bad tree can never yield good fruits, bunch of hypocrites, multiply Peter Obi into 7, Nigeria will still be the same.

Very insightful, we keep deluding ourselves that our problems is solely on our leaders
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by OvertheTop(m): 9:39am On Oct 05, 2022
Buckeyemedia1:
Even Saint Pandora aka Pete Obi is guilty of associating with them.

THE TRUTH IS THAT : THEY ARE ALL THE SAME
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by Cutehector(m): 9:41am On Oct 05, 2022
When nigeria was exporting agro produce.
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by shomutuski(m): 9:43am On Oct 05, 2022
Buckeyemedia1:
Born, and grew up in Victoria Island Lagos State, Lagos was prosperous long before Bola Ahmed Tinubu was born, I am not a blind follow follow Zombie like you naive minded Obidients.

Actually it is the other way round, Lagos State made Bola Tinubu who he is today.

Calm down, you no fit talk make you no sound condescending or disrespectful. Na wa o
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by frog12: 9:44am On Oct 05, 2022
how is he an illiterate?
1000 WON may get you a big product.
1 cedis will give you only a bottle of water. that same bottle of water in South Korea is more than 1000 WON grin grin

so who is now the illiterate

Perfectbeing:
It is obvious some people you think are intelligent are very dumb..

Imagine one fool telling me that in those days a Mercedes benz cost less than N100. I asked him how many people could afford that N100 car compared to today where millions of people can afford cars worth million..

Rufai is an illiterate.. South Korea currency stands at $1-1000 WON. Does that make Ghana's economy with a currency rate of $1-10.45 Cedis better than it?
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by Nobody: 9:46am On Oct 05, 2022
07kjb:

U are trying to sound wise but you ain't

Let's compare UAE WITH NIGERIA,THIS IS A COUNTRY THAT DEPENDS SOLELY ON OIL THAN NIGERIA.

BAD LEADERS IS THE PROBLEM OF NIGERIA

TAKE A LOOK AT COUNTRIES LIKE SWITZERLAND WHAT DO THEY HAVE, THEY ARE JUST Good IN COMMERCE

LET'S BE REALISTIC AND STOP BEATING around the bush

Bad leaders is our problem

UAE has just 15 million compared to our 210 million

Switzerland has a diversified economy including industries that export

What i am telling you is that we must diversify
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by OsunOriginal: 9:50am On Oct 05, 2022
SteveDGreat:
Rufai Oseni Arise TV Host has taken to his tweeter account to express his wish for a better Nigeria.

Read his tweets .

The Rufai guy is nothing but an inexperienced fool looking for recognition.
So, APC is to blame for the drop from 0.8 to 720?
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by Perfectbeing(m): 9:53am On Oct 05, 2022
frog12:
how is he an illiterate?
1000 WON may get you a big product.
1 cedis will give you only a bottle of water. that same bottle of water in South Korea is more than 1000 WON grin grin

so who is now the illiterate

I don't understand wetin you dey talk?

Are you saying Ghana economy is better than South Korea because a bottle of water is 1 Cedis and 1000 WON in South Korea?

I really hope you're not the most intelligent person in your family. undecided
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by frog12: 9:59am On Oct 05, 2022
if you don't understand, then you are a real illiterate.

you insult others, but you don't understand.
i gave you an example of a bottle of water that's priced the same in Ghana and South Korea.
It defeats your logic!

Perfectbeing:

Are you saying Ghana economy is better than South Korea because a bottle of water is 1 Cedis and 1000 WON in South Korea?

Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by CocoaOla: 10:01am On Oct 05, 2022
Perfectbeing:

Minimum wages and quality of life of Nigerians is zero compare to even other african countries
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by Perfectbeing(m): 10:03am On Oct 05, 2022
frog12:
if you don't understand, they you are a real illiterate.
you insult others, but you don't understand.
i gave you an example of a bottle of water that's priced the same in Ghana and South Korea.
It defeats your logic!

I leave you to your folly bro
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by Onewazobia(m): 10:04am On Oct 05, 2022
Buckeyemedia1:
Even Saint Pandora aka Pete Obi is guilty of associating with them.

You are right bro "associating with them" but to be candid he's relatively less evil in comparison with his competitors. I'm not expecting much from him but certainly he'll do better than the current administration in several sector
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by Nobody: 10:04am On Oct 05, 2022
wirinet:

Also add that our forex needs were not that great because we were consuming mainly local products. We were driving made in Nigeria cars - Peugeot, Volkwagon, etc., we were wearing mare in Nigeria cloths and shoes - Kano textiles, Bata shoes, etc., we were eating made in Nigeria foods - no noodles, bread, we only eat rice once a year, and won't of all no imported fuels. So what did people need dollars and pounds for?

Very true...although the made in Nigeria cars were assembled from imported parts. Still, right about everything else, especially the textilles bit.
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by frog12: 10:05am On Oct 05, 2022
do you even understand nigeria economy?

Perfectbeing:
I leave you to your folly bro
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by Nobody: 10:07am On Oct 05, 2022
Onewazobia:

You are right bro "associating with them" but to be candid he's relatively less evil in comparison with his competitors. I'm not expecting much from him but certainly he'll do better than the current administration in several sector

In other words, you are expecting him to fail already...meaning he is no better than the Tinubu and Atiku .
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by Perfectbeing(m): 10:08am On Oct 05, 2022
frog12:
do you even understand nigeria economy?

From what you posted about Ghana Cedis buying one bottle of water shows you're talking based on guess work.

You're asking me if I know Nigeria economy. If you know how Nigeria economy works you'd know your candidate will be useless and helpless if he becomes President
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by LalastiklaIa(m): 10:09am On Oct 05, 2022
Buckeyemedia1:

Prophet of doom. We reject your prophesy in Jesus mighty name. AMEN
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by wirinet(m): 10:11am On Oct 05, 2022
BigIyanga:

Fallacy. Nigeria has never made cars. We imported peugeot parts and assembled. Did we import with Naira?
Machines used to make Kano textiles were imported with FX. Una version of Naija is quite different from reality

The cars were Made in Nigeria . No country in the world makes a product with 100% locally sourced materials. They import some raw and finished materials, they have some local inputs and the also import some machinery and machine tools. Same with energy component of manufacturing, some are locally sourced and some are imported. All these tell on the demand for foreign exchange.
Made in China foes not mean everything was manufactured in China. Most chips come from Taiwan and the rest from South Korea.

What then is your reason for the continuous fall of the Naira?
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by abokikhalifa: 10:11am On Oct 05, 2022
A citizen that's can't obey simple traffic rule. We are Nigeria and we are the only people that can make our country right, by doing the right things at the right time.
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by BigIyanga: 10:11am On Oct 05, 2022
Kasssandra:

UAE has just 15 million compared to our 210 million

Switzerland has a diversified economy including industries that export

What i am telling you is that we must diversify
Big grammar about diversity when your leaders have refused to build power plants, airports, seaports, roads, railways a d secuirty infrascteucture

1 Like

Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by BigIyanga: 10:15am On Oct 05, 2022
wirinet:

The cars were Made in Nigeria . No country in the world makes a product with 100% locally sourced materials. They import some raw and finished materials, they have some local inputs and the also import some machinery and machine tools. Same with energy component of manufacturing, some are locally sourced and some are imported. All these tell on the demand for foreign exchange.
Made in China foes not mean everything was manufactured in China. Most chips come from Taiwan and the rest from South Korea.

What then is your reason for the continuous fall of the Naira?
Na lie. Naija does not make powertrain- engines and transmission. Naija never made drivetrains as well. We imported those and assembled.
Per intl standards, those cars cannot be classified as made in Naija.. It’s actually against intellectual property rights to do that.
Continuous fall of Naira has more to do with FX given to refined petrol importers via subsidies which account for 80% of FX demand… and crude theft of over 1m barrel per day @$86m/day— @$2.6bn/mon. This is money that should have been sitting at CBN account for FX demand
Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by Nobody: 10:19am On Oct 05, 2022
BigIyanga:

Big grammar about diversity when your leaders have refused to build power plants, airports, seaports, roads, railways a d secuirty infrascteucture

1.We are building airports, powerplants and road construction is ongoing. Both before Buhari and after Buhari (We even have more airports than we did in 1987 self).

2.As for power, when government is setting the prices below what the sector needs for a profit, at the end, the sector is not going to grow as it should.

There is a reason why GSM is growing. MTN and Airtel were allowed to set their prices...and thus could afford to build all those antennae, and towers, and suchlike.

3.Our tax to gdp ratio is 8.1% . It is even lower than Niger Republic. Taxes are what build a lot of things. You have poor tax uptake, what do you expect. Plus 20 years ago, we removed tollgates, and by extension a vital source of income for......roads.

4.Oil is our main source of income. Oil prices jump up and down. We need oil to be like 133-40 dollars per barrel before we can even balance the budget...meanwhile the price has been all over the place...meaning loans have to be taken

5.Corurption. If I talk and say GEJ government was corrupt, Obi govt was corrupt, Atiku was corrupt., Obasanjo and tinubu was corrupt, all of you will jump on my matter. You all talk about corruption, and yet when your favorite master is indicted, you suddenly cry prosecution.

My main message is simple....let us get off oil, diversify, industrialise, remove subsides on power and petrol so that they can earn the profit needed to pay for improvements, and new refineries and power plants, extend tax collection to the 70% of economically active people who don't pay a thing....and we will get somewhere.

But you see the high prices, and then label me fulani herdsman supporter. Okay o.

1 Like

Re: Forty Years Ago, 1 Pound Was 0.8189 Naira - Rufai Oseni by Onewazobia(m): 10:23am On Oct 05, 2022
Kasssandra:

In other words, you are expecting him to fail already...meaning he is no better than the Tinubu and Atiku .

Certainly he's better except you are die heart fan of either of them. I desire the best out of 3 for my motherland

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

IGP Idris Ibrahim In Indonesia For Interpol Event In Style.PICS / PDP Abandons Zoning, Throws Presidency Open / Goodluck Jonathan's Declaration Speech - Full Text

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.