Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,424 members, 7,808,516 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:57 PM

How Do I Fix A Corrupted Hard Drive Without Formatting? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Do I Fix A Corrupted Hard Drive Without Formatting? (268 Views)

How To Partition A Hard Drive Without Lossing Data In Your Windows 7 / How To Crack Windows 7 Password (without Formatting) / How To Password Your External Hard Drive Without Any Third Party Software (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Fix A Corrupted Hard Drive Without Formatting? by DaveHarry(m): 11:06am On Oct 06, 2022
A computer hard drive (or a hard disk or HDD) is one kind of technology that stores the operating system, applications, and data files such as documents, pictures, and music that your computer uses.

A hard disk drive (HDD) is composed of a platter that contains compartments to hold data. This data is your operating system, applications, and files you have created. There is an actuator arm that moves across the platter to read or write the information. To make the process faster, the platter spins as the actuator arm moves across it.

The platter and the actuator arm are delicate, so they are covered by a steel case. It prevents damage to the disk under normal circumstances.

Re: How Do I Fix A Corrupted Hard Drive Without Formatting? by DaveHarry(m): 11:07am On Oct 06, 2022
The platters are divided into circular strips, each with a different radius called tracks. When you have a track with the same radius as another one on a different platter, it creates magnetic cylinders. Each platter is divided into several sectors based on a certain arc. The smallest data storage unit is called the sector.

Now, let’s understand what are bad sectors?

Bad sectors refer to areas on the disk where data cannot be accessed appropriately due to logical or physical errors. If a track has bad sectors, this is called "bad sectors on disks". There are two types of bad sectors. Logical bad sectors are caused by software errors that can be fixed & physical bad sectors result from physical damage and can't be repaired.

Re: How Do I Fix A Corrupted Hard Drive Without Formatting? by DaveHarry(m): 11:07am On Oct 06, 2022
Several reasons cause hard drive corruption & bad sector is one of them.

Before going to repair bad sector solutions, first, you need to mark the bad sectors as unusable on the hard drive. However, if you don’t know whether your hard disk has bad sectors, you need to check the hard disk first and then mark the bad sectors later.

So, check the disk and mark the bad sectors step by step.

1: Type the cmd in the search box of Windows and right-click the Command Prompt to choose Run as administrator.

2: In the popup command line window, type the command chkdsk c:/f /r and hit Enter to continue.

3: You will receive a message which tells you that Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Now type Y to continue. During the restarting process, the check disk process will be performed.

Re: How Do I Fix A Corrupted Hard Drive Without Formatting? by DaveHarry(m): 11:10am On Oct 06, 2022
4: When the check disk process finishes, the bad sectors on HDD will be marked.

Bad sectors on the hard drive may lead to data loss or other worse problems. Therefore, after you have marked the bad blocks as unusable, you had better back up the files to avoid data loss. For this, you can use a professional recovery tool like.....

(1) (Reply)

Cloud Desktop Service / Uk Used Laptop Available @ Affordable Prices / Corei7 2gb Dedicated 16gb Ram Keyboard Light For 200k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.