Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,342 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:37 AM

Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? (25664 Views)

Did You Ever Regret The Choice Of Your Course Of Study? / Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? / Can I Work And Pursue A Degree At The Same Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Nobody: 10:52am On Oct 09, 2022
Sometimes I feel I made a serious mistake going to the tertiary institution.
I had my OND degree about 8 years ago after several months of job searching I realised I couldn't get a job with it and the OND is just as useless as ssce I decided to get a better degree I wrote jamb I got admitted to the university 5 years ago to study engineering.
Now in a few months to my graduation (if ASUU call off the strike) I feel I made a great mistake going back to school.
I feel all the efforts, time and money is be wasted.
I feel going back to school was a mirage cus after school will I still go back to the street as usual.
Do you ever regret going to school?

51 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Acidosis(m): 11:06am On Oct 09, 2022
What else would you have done with your time if you hadn't gone to school? cool

197 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by christejames(m): 11:13am On Oct 09, 2022
Even though I'm not currently using the certificate I acquired to work (resigned* last year), I'm still grateful I had the certificate...

Going to tertiary institutions should not be solely for the aim of the certificate or the financial benefits the certificate can be used for but the knowledge gained which should be very vital for the society. Schools should refine you to become a better version of yourself smiley

256 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Nobody: 11:18am On Oct 09, 2022
Acidosis:

Chief I had childhood friends who didn't go to the university but they are doing excellently well
I remember a friend of mine during my days in the poly dropped out and went to Italy, today he is doing great also.
I feel the I 8years+ I spent ain't worth it

52 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by fidel2(m): 12:24pm On Oct 09, 2022
I regret, I regret and I absolutely regret.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by christejames(m): 12:33pm On Oct 09, 2022
Pray4naija:

Chief I had childhood friends who didn't go to the university but they are doing excellently well
I remember a friend of mine during my days in the poly dropped out and went to Italy, today he is doing great also.

It's obvious the school you graduated from or about to graduate from didn't pass through you as you did the school...

If it did you won't be reasoning this way.

90 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by lordparcel: 2:42pm On Oct 09, 2022
Which degree can an art student go for apart from law

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Olachase(m): 3:29pm On Oct 09, 2022
I went to a technical college 3 years (Mechanical Engineering) within 3 years I have worked with 5 manufacturing companies as Mechanical Technician, I'm currently taking home 100+ salary, by next year I will enrolled for OND then HND, my boss told me I will be needing those certificates in future time for promotions and salary bargain, I'm not ashamed I want to start my OND at the age of 27

Pls nairaland guard me Dos and Dont in polytechnic

141 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by LordIsaac(m): 3:49pm On Oct 09, 2022
If you give me 1 trillion naira today, the first thing I'd do is enrol for further studies. It's my hobby! grin

120 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Oct 09, 2022
cry

Sometimes I do. I feel depressed lot of times seeing my certificate don't bring a dime to me and I'm languishing in lack and full of despair.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by The5DME(m): 6:53pm On Oct 09, 2022
Pray4naija:
I had my OND degree about 8 years ago after several months of job searching I realised I couldn't get a job with it and the OND is just as useless as ssce I decided to get a better degree I wrote jamb I got admitted to the university 5 years ago to study engineering.
Now in a few months to my graduation (if ASUU call off the strike) I feel I made a great mistake going back to school.
I feel going back to school was a mirage cus after school will I still go back to the street as usual.
Are you expecting us to brood with you, because you feel you've wasted 8 years of your pathetic life in a university?

Before you say "school is a scam", kindly anwser the following questions:

1) what grade did you graduate with from your university?;
2) how old are you. Are you above 26?;
3) how many jobs have you actually applied to?.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by The5DME(m): 6:54pm On Oct 09, 2022
LawMan44:
cry

Sometimes I do. I feel depressed lot of times seeing my certificate don't bring a dime to me and I'm languishing in lack and full of despair.
Your situation has a lot to do with the country, and not necessarily your certificate.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Oct 09, 2022
The5DME:
Your situation has a lot to do with the country, and not necessarily your certificate.

HELP!!!

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Tohsynetita1: 7:17pm On Oct 09, 2022
Pray4naija:

Best thing is to go and think of how to make money, if you make money schooling will be easy and not a time wasted one. To me, anything education in Nigeria is over, I can't study anymore in Nigeria, I prefer to gather the money and do a business within some months. After making money, I will then leave. Ave done research on watermelon farming, have got land, got haulage service, got buyers in Lagos, just to plant by November and sell by January, within 3 months, expenses of 150k will make me about 3millions. Watermelon, cucumber, peppers, tomatoes are plants not really planted in South West, Majority plants cassava,maize, yam. The plants above takes time unlike the former plants. All ripe within 3 months, in 3 months, you make your money, No amount you can take to places like Lagos that will be enough for them. Lagos population is about 22million, so, consumption is high there. An acre should give about 3000 fruits of it. If you continue getting degree without using the degree to work or make tangible income, You might be wasting your time unknowingly. Have planted watermelon before, only on a subsistence base.

41 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Kingkyle1(m): 7:43pm On Oct 09, 2022
Tohsynetita1:

Best thing is to go and think of how to make money, if you make money schooling will be easy and not a time wasted one. To me, anything education in Nigeria is over, I can't study anymore in Nigeria, I prefer to gather the money and do a business within some months. After making money, I will then leave. Ave done research on watermelon farming, have got land, got haulage service, got buyers in Lagos, just to plant by November and sell by January, within 3 months, expenses of 150k will make me about 3millions. Watermelon, cucumber, peppers, tomatoes are plants not really planted in South West, Majority plants cassava,maize, yam. The plants above takes time unlike the former plants. All ripe within 3 months, in 3 months, you make your money, No amount you can take to places like Lagos that will be enough for them. Lagos population is about 22million, so, consumption is high there. An acre should give about 3000 fruits of it. If you continue getting degree without using the degree to work or make tangible income, You might be wasting your time unknowingly. Have planted watermelon before, only on a subsistence base.

Easy on paper but I wish you goodluck.
Better than not trying at all.

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by DrBrainstorm(m): 8:55pm On Oct 09, 2022
If you come from a poor background, I think there are some courses you better not study in Nigeria even on a full scholarship. If you are not able to get a professional/lucrative course, you'd be better off acquiring lucrative skills or learning trades, then enroll for a degree after finding your feet if you are still interested in one.

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Tohsynetita1: 9:09pm On Oct 09, 2022
Kingkyle1:

Easy on paper but I wish you goodluck.
Better than not trying at all.

check 'sarsm' username on Agriculture forum and explore pineapple farming. No be all things one typed hasn't been tried before.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Aladdin1(m): 9:36pm On Oct 09, 2022
My dear let nobody deceive you with nonsense lies. Investing in Education in Nigeria is a scam and a big waste of precious time and resources. As for me i regret investing in education. Its better to learn a skill or trade or go into business. Than wasting time and having several alnights of serious jacking and when you finally acquire the degree. Then the reality would dawn on you. That pursuing education was all a charade,a fallacy and a farfetched pipedream. That culminates in you having a degree certificate that is nothing but a 'tabula rasa'.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by haybhi1(m): 12:56am On Oct 10, 2022
To avoid regrets, if you have a poor financial background, do these:

1. Only go for the top-notch courses, mainly, Medicine, Pharmacy, (certain) Engineering, Med lab Science, and Maybe Law as well as accounting (<26 YO is important here).
Reason: They may not earn you much initially, but they offer you the opportunity to make so much fulfillment and relevance along the line.

2. While at these, give you all, and make the highest grade you possibly could.
Reason: They will come in handy in placements. Most unemployed grads have degrees below 2nd class lower.
Did you know:
A second class upper cert in the vast degrees there are puts you in position to get a full scholarship abroad

3. Self-learn or pay to learn key tech programmes.
Reason: They pay you well when you're capable, and you don't have to major in them in school. They may put you in position to earn in dollars.

4. Learn a skill - from a successful boss.
Reason: It makes you relevant anywhere. You can even do this while in school or prior.

5. Learn a business - from a successful boss.
Reason: This, when done well esp. in a specified market, can be your best venture - particularly if you can read and write.

6. School/no school, degree/no degree, education or not. Be ingenious!

60 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by haybhi1(m): 1:11am On Oct 10, 2022
On a deeper note, dear people, please listen.

Do! Not! Be! Ever! Deceived!
Education is not and can never be a scam!

Being helped with miracle centres, and helped with admission, and graduating with lower, 3rd class, pass etc is not education and is barely ever going to fix you anywhere in another person's business! I mean even you will not employ yourself with this kind of result!

Are you blind or deaf ni? I know you know the truth but you purposely blind yourself to it.
I can't count countless of my peers who are well educated and are extremely comfortable and even posed for more success ahead.

Soyinka, by virtue of being a NP, will never have his luggage checked at any port in the world. Too, Ngozi Iweala, ambassadors, and some others educated fellows are in this category. For education, these are possible.

Whereas, Dangote, Musk, Bezos will be checked of routine security regulation at most ports in the world.

That doesn't make education sound like a scam to me. I mean no random Emeka, Kemi, Rufai would easily enjoy these reverence because they were not educated. Nothing that brings comfort and fulfillment can ever be a scam. Show me the person in top 10 richest who didn't pass through education - some attended the best schools in their country just to get education and drop out when they did while others graduated - one thing is clear however, they attained education!

Don't fall for the popular ongoing "education na scam" narrative. It is famous for two reasons:
1. The educated ones don't want you educated. They prefer to enjoy whatever prestige it brings alone, alongside their kins. They're glad you continue to look up to them in some ways.
2. It's mongers failed in education and so have no place in it. Thus, they don't want you to do it, because then you may usurp them in (social) status.

If education is your passion, do stop at nought. even at 35. It will never be a scam!

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by sirqeeboi(m): 7:18am On Oct 10, 2022
Olachase:
I went to a technical college 3 years (Mechanical Engineering) within 3 years I have worked with 5 manufacturing companies as Mechanical Technician, I'm currently taking home 100+ salary, by next year I will enrolled for OND then HND, my boss told me I will be needing those certificates in future time for promotions and salary bargain, I'm not ashamed I want to start my OND at the age of 27

If you will be needing the certificate for promotion it is better you go for Beng or better still u do OND and direct Beng.. with OND and HND you can't go beyond TECHNOLOGIST.and if you want to move to become Engineer with HND you will need PGD which will take atleast two years and now master has been added am sure Msc will take another two years.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by christejames(m): 7:34am On Oct 10, 2022
Olachase:

Just be focused in your academic pursuit, with determination you will scale through

10 Likes

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Olachase(m): 8:56am On Oct 10, 2022
christejames:

Just be focused in your academic pursuit, with determination you will scale through
thanks mate for ur input I really appreciate

5 Likes

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Olachase(m): 9:02am On Oct 10, 2022
sirqeeboi:

If you will be needing the certificate for promotion it is better you go for Beng or better still u do OND and direct Beng.. with OND and HND you can't go beyond TECHNOLOGIST.and if you want to move to become Engineer with HND you will need PGD which will take atleast two years and now master has been added am sure Msc will take another two years.

I agreed with you someone told me this too just that after HND even sign board I no day read again

9 Likes

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Uyi168: 9:18am On Oct 10, 2022
Acidosis:

I love this question.

Op would have been feeling bad and left out if he hadn't gotten a degree..

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by oneolajire(m): 10:05am On Oct 10, 2022
Regret?

God forbid.

It is just like asking, "do you regret going to primary school?"

It is better to have the degree and of no use for now, than to not have it and need it.
A day is coming, you'll need not just degrees, you'll need masters, PhD, professional certificates etc.

16 Likes

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by HarlequinLekex: 10:34am On Oct 10, 2022
You can't tell me you graduated from oxford or cambridge or melbourne and not successful except your village people don open their diaspora for abroad
Pray4naija:

having a degree doesn't mean u will be successful in life but it is a pointer and a creative institution that will reform your life to being successful but these ones in naija hmmm,but don't blame naija sha,e get why.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by crro: 7:24am On Oct 18, 2022
Ok
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by crro: 7:26am On Oct 18, 2022
Tohsynetita1:

Can you send me your contact details ? I’m looking for Lagos contacts for watermelon �, please let’s discuss immediately
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Tohsynetita1: 9:18am On Oct 18, 2022
crro:

Can you send me your contact details ? I’m looking for Lagos contacts for watermelon �, please let’s discuss immediately
message me on Whatsapp 080315 42509

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Goodconcept78: 10:13pm On Mar 11, 2023
smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Www.nigerian University News.com: Latest News Updates From All Institutions / Best Graduating Student In Delta State University With A CGPA Of 4.86 / Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.