Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,176 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:09 AM

Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated (1204 Views)

Please Save A Sister On A Hot Seat, Before I Wil Be Sent Packing / Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? / Choosing The Right School-cc,efemena Ur Views Would Be Appreciated. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by ng4am(f): 6:37am On Aug 17, 2011
How can i stop my 2 months old daughter from sucking her finger cos its irritating me.
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by Misbee(f): 7:18am On Aug 17, 2011
find sumtin bitter there.like bitter leave.
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by blank(f): 12:37pm On Aug 17, 2011
Will that work? Will there be any side effects like pooing, etc?
My baby started sucking his thumb @ 3 months and i thought he would outgrow it but his is 6 months and still sucking. In fact, he is now an expert. angry
I am willing to try anything.
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by MissIfe(f): 12:47pm On Aug 17, 2011
Babies have a strong need of sucking, it is one of the first contact they experiment and it is necessary for them to feel secured and comfortable. There is nothing to worry about for such a small baby, when she grows you can explain to her little by little how to lose that habit; Most kids stop it naturally as they grow, though (before nursery).
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by oyinmama(f): 1:18pm On Aug 17, 2011
You can try removing the finger from the mouth every time your baby puts it in, as well as putting on baby gloves/mittens for her. She is bound to cry a lot when you do that, but with persistence & consistency, she will stop within a month.  That's what I did for my kids, now aged 8yrs and 6 yrs, when they were babies, and it worked; all babies have the natural instinct to suck you know.  Just be ready for a lot of crying any time you remove the finger!
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by blank(f): 1:58pm On Aug 17, 2011
Mittens ke? The young man sucks both mittens and finger. No difference to him. That is why i said he is now a pro. Even if u put his hand inside plastic, all go to his mouth. I don't allow him such his finger at all but how long can u watch him? He just waits a few seconds and back in it goes. No one in my family or my husband's family sucked their finger, why is his own different?

I know people that used to suck even till university and i don't want him to be one of such. There is nothing as off-putting as a young man with a swollen thumb! How u wan get babe na?
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by oyinmama(f): 2:26pm On Aug 17, 2011
its all about patience!
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by ng4am(f): 2:28pm On Aug 17, 2011
@onyinmama, normally she cries alot but since she discovered dis sucking habit she's kind of quite and stays on her own.
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by Nobody: 2:30pm On Aug 17, 2011
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by Nobody: 2:49pm On Aug 17, 2011
I was thinking same. Sucking is very soothing. I would give anything to have a baby that sucks. Very soothing and relaxing, sucking. when they cry, put their finger(s) into their mouth and they keep quiet and sleep peacefully.
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by blank(f): 3:03pm On Aug 17, 2011
My young man has refused ALL teething rings and pacifiers (actually yet to see a pacifier that uses latex and not silicon since that is the only one he agrees to take).

I don't like seeing him sucking his finger. It just seems like such a bad habit. He does not cry when it is not in his mouth neither does putting his finger into his mouth stop him from crying. He even wants to stick his thumb in even when i am breastfeeding him. How can that be healthy?
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by stainny: 3:05pm On Aug 17, 2011
you bear with him. most babies do that. are you not lucky to have one that sucks? try to remove her hand from her mouth any time she does that. some children stops sucking along the line, some dont, let it not irritate you my dear
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by Sicherheit(m): 3:06pm On Aug 17, 2011
My Nephew used pacifier until he was around 2 yrs old.
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by xkillz(m): 9:19am On Aug 18, 2011
We used to have 2 CHRONIC THUMB SUCKERS in my family! My MOM's solution was SIMPLE: She go wear the PIKIN SOCKS for im hand!. . . . . I tell you, IT WORKED LIKE MAGIC! smiley
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by iaabc(f): 9:37am On Aug 18, 2011
Each time my babies tried to start sucking, I would start putting socks and mittens on their fingers and I would remove their finger from their mouths every time they tried sucking. It worked everytime. They don't suck. The deal is to be consistent in preventing them whatever means you choose.
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by oyinmama(f): 11:21am On Aug 18, 2011
^^^
thats what I'm saying. It worked for my two kids; no harm in trying. Inasmuch as it soothes & pacifies babies, finger sucking is a habit a baby can do without, just like nail biting or others. As I said, no harm in trying. Cheers!! smiley
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by blank(f): 2:42pm On Aug 18, 2011
^^^^

And if the pikin put both socks and hand inside mouth regardless, wetin u go do?
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by oyinmama(f): 3:25pm On Aug 18, 2011
^^^^^, two options,keep changing the mittens or leave your baby to suck!!  Don't knock it till you've tried it grin
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by nassiwa: 4:49pm On Aug 18, 2011
At two months, the baby is still so little. just be patient. Babies love soothing after sometime she will leave it
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by ng4am(f): 5:15pm On Aug 18, 2011
I pray she stops, Cos her thumb is nw her new found love, she does nt cry again which i like.
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by Damysa(f): 6:19pm On Aug 18, 2011
Anyways peeps, i just lv 2 see my little king suck and mutters, Gosh! he is so adorable, and he cry less now. I sure know he will outgrow it so am not gonna worry over nothing
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by dayokanu(m): 7:14pm On Aug 18, 2011
Even as I am I still suck something dont ask me ask armyofone what I suck on her frontage tongue
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by ronkebp(f): 7:25pm On Aug 18, 2011
@ poster, when my baby was a month, he was interested in sucking his thumb, but i stopped it with wearing mittens' on his hands, i bought different colours to go with his clothes, and after wearing it for about another month and half, he gave up sucking his thumb, since your baby is still very little you can try that.
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by armyofone(m): 7:27pm On Aug 18, 2011
why are you mentioning my name on this thread? angry angry angry angry
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by dayokanu(m): 7:44pm On Aug 18, 2011
Na soyaiya, Afulungi nnanya
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by mukina2: 2:06am On Aug 19, 2011
na wa o sad

what of us that sucked our finger till primary school sad

for me my mum, dad, aunt, uncle, grandma , cousins tried everything, pepper,bitter leaf, soap,threats , bandaged my poor thumb, but  i didnt mind, infact it gave me zeal to suck more grin grin they got tired and left me, i outgrew it in primary school, heck i was told i cried less as a baby cool

my left thumb  was the sweetest ever in my young life grin

@ OP
do not force the child, let  the child outgrow it.
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by Nobody: 5:14am On Aug 19, 2011
ng4am:

I pray she stops, Cos her thumb is nw her new found love, she does nt cry again which i like.

All she wants is for you guys to leave her alone in peace. grin

Gosh, give me a sucking baby anyday anytime. I love watching them suck their fingers, especially em chubby ones cool
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by OAM4J: 6:29am On Aug 19, 2011
@OP

Please don't get irritated, nothing wrong with it. And please don't force her, she will outgrow it.
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by ng4am(f): 6:48am On Aug 19, 2011
Thanx al 4 ur contribution, but her dad stil insist dat i stop her, he believes kids dat suck are dumb in sch is dat tru
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by mukina2: 6:53am On Aug 19, 2011
ng4am:

Thanx al 4 your contribution, but her dad stil insist dat i stop her, [s]he believes kids dat suck are dumb in sch is dat tru[/s]
not true . .its all stereotyping .
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by Nobody: 7:02am On Aug 19, 2011
Oam4jenny.

Sooooooo, since you became a mod you have decided to abandon our love.

mukina, make me a mod now. I need to fight for my love.
Re: Pls Ur Contribution Wil Be Appreciated by OAM4J: 7:07am On Aug 19, 2011
jennykadry:

Oam4jenny.

Sooooooo, since you became a mod you have decided to abandon our love.

mukina, make me a mod now. I need to fight for my love.

Na you abandoned me for Sagamite, denzel2009 and dayokanu jor

Cos your eye no dey stay for one place and you too like koboko grin

(1) (Reply)

Letter To My Child.( Anderson Chimere) Baby Xynerise Is Born. Hurray! / Missing Husband / Domineering in laws/relatives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.