Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,072 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:26 PM

No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan (3330 Views)

Governors Demand For Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation / Parcel Bomb For Okonjo-Iweala Dropped At Post-Office / N10M Ransom Paid For Okonjo-Iweala’s Mother - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by gfus: 12:41am On Aug 18, 2011
President Goodluck Jonathan has said that the newly sworn-in Minister of Finance, Prof. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, and other professionals in his cabinet pulled from the Diaspora will not be paid in foreign currencies.

The President disclosed this in his remarks on Wednesday shortly after the swearing-in of Okonjo-Iweala as Finance Minister in the Council Chamber of the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

“Let me also thank other ministers brought in from the Diaspora, we know it is quite challenging to move from developed countries to Nigeria.

“The question sometimes asked, and I know for Ngozi it is embarrassing, is that when she accepted to serve, it was in the media that she gave conditions to be paid in dollars.

“Let me formally announce to Nigerians that she accepted to serve just like any other minister and indeed others who came from the Diaspora have not asked us for dollar salary.

“They are going to receive salary and allowances like others in the cabinet. They are coming to serve the country and are not coming because of their personal aggrandisement,’’ he said.

http://www.livenigeriapost.com/2011/08/17/no-dollar-salary-for-okonjo-iweala-others-jonathan/
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by Nobody: 12:46am On Aug 18, 2011
This. . . . I like!
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 1:11am On Aug 18, 2011
WOW . . . . it matters if they are paid BILLIONS in dollars or in Naira?? ROFLMAO!
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by Nobody: 1:41am On Aug 18, 2011
Yea, that's another face to it. OR it could mean a decrease in pay, but then this is GEJ we're talking about.
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by abiolak: 1:46am On Aug 18, 2011
If i am paid 1,000 dollar and am to recieve 150,000 naira, for God sake what is the diff there?
Uncle Geg just feel like makoing headlines on national dailies this day, we need change and not all this cricket talks.
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 1:48am On Aug 18, 2011
abiolak:

If i am paid 1,000 dollar and am to recieve 150,000 naira, for God sake what is the diff there?
Uncle Geg just feel like makoing headlines on national dailies this day, we need change and not all this cricket talks.

ROFL!!! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by udbyron1(m): 4:52am On Aug 18, 2011
nice of GEJ.since i cant find any unique difference between Iweala and other ministers like her.
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by Johnpaul2k2(m): 5:27am On Aug 18, 2011
No sense to me
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by luluosas(m): 6:19am On Aug 18, 2011
But, he can award contracts in dollars. Attention seeking Jonathan.
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by Bawss1(m): 8:01am On Aug 18, 2011
Doesn't make any difference, they'll still collect jumbo pay in Naira.
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by dempeople(m): 8:17am On Aug 18, 2011
Nigeria's prime minister will not disappoint in her capacity.

My worry is that GEJ might not have the political balls to implement some of her policies.

Either way, I can't think of anyone who's more patriotic than her, in this age when most Nigerians have given up on the country - at least I have, long ago!

Dollar salary or no dollar salary, the mere fact that she quit a very high paying job in a comfortable clime, to accept a very much lower job in a nonsensical country, calls for applause, praise and adoration.
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by Nobody: 8:18am On Aug 18, 2011
dem_people:

Nigeria's prime minister will not disappoint in her capacity.

My worry is that GEJ might not have the political balls to implement some of her policies.

Either way, I can't think of anyone who's more patriotic than her, in this age when most Nigerians have given up on the country - at least I have, long ago!

Congratulations, do you want a medium size coke to go with that?
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by dempeople(m): 8:22am On Aug 18, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Congratulations, do you want a medium size coke to go with that?

Yes please! And send it to my address - the one you know.  wink
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by WebSurfer(m): 8:38am On Aug 18, 2011
no big deallll
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by omodada1: 8:46am On Aug 18, 2011
its shame if our finance minister dont even appriciate our currency, no be here dem bon am? if say she yellow lik oyinbo maybe she for say she no go chop nija food. abeg, am proudly Nija! grin grin grin
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by Thatdave(m): 8:54am On Aug 18, 2011
u need sudden and total change from someone just elected in april?

Is he a military president that can issue decree?

Dam.n u. this is democracy!
Its gotta be gradual. Like d 6 year tenure bill,like the state of residence bill, like the 18hr power supply in ebonyi now. Its gotta be gradual u numb brainz.

The man said he aint continuing after 2015. Doesnt that tell u a thing? He just said he aint paying anyone in dollars. All men are equal. Thats his motto. Thats why he aint interrupting islamic bankin.

Just allowing it to die a natural death.
And all u say is we need action! Come, are u blind? And politically deaf?

See , all GEJ haters should do PHCN a favour - go hug delapidated transformer!
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by Nobody: 10:00am On Aug 18, 2011
is it the currency in which she's paid or the amount she's paid that matters?
GEJ shud stop clowning and focus on more important issues like stable power supply,security of nigerians and job creation.
we still dey perambulate and we still dey the same same place year in year out
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by Nobody: 10:14am On Aug 18, 2011
abiolak:

My thought undecided
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by Bensonite: 10:25am On Aug 18, 2011
bennygee:

is it the currency in which she's paid or the amount she's paid that matters?
GEJ shud stop clowning and focus on more important issues like stable power supply,security of nigerians and job creation.
we still dey perambulate and we still dey the same same place year in year out
I think his clarification was necesaary as some pple on this forum on a previous thread made it a topical issue why she should not be paid in dollars. Obviously the woman is here to help out and not money. So GEJ now you have the complete team setup hit the ground running- no time.
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by Nobody: 11:05am On Aug 18, 2011
weder monkey wear pant or pant wear monkey both na d samething jor. Oga gej most times creates problems 4himself when digresses from core issues to frivolities there4 subjecting himself to ridicule most times. How much is her total pay pack? When we knw dat part then we can convert it to dollars, dats d only time we will knw if its justifiable. Imo, dat part of d presidents speach was very unneccessary. Best wishes madam finance ary. Best wishes madam finance
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by Nobody: 11:21am On Aug 18, 2011
byrron:

weder monkey wear pant or pant wear monkey both na d samething jor. Oga gej most times creates problems 4himself when digresses from core issues to frivolities there4 subjecting himself to ridicule most times. How much is her total pay pack? When we knw dat part then we can convert it to dollars, dats d only time we will knw if its justifiable. Imo, dat part of d presidents speach was very unneccessary. Best wishes madam finance ary. Best wishes madam finance
The very reason I believe he's so happy with his wife
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by foward1212(m): 11:45am On Aug 18, 2011
A big congratulations to our new minister of finance. I believe God that she will do a good work.

For all you hatters, its unfortunate that nothing pleases you people. You always like to stand so much on the negative. I don't see you people achieving a pinch of what she or any of them have done to get to this level they are in life or to earn this respect that they are enjoying. Shame on all you hatters.
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by Funkymallam(m): 11:50am On Aug 18, 2011
There is BIG difference btw paying in naira and paying in dollars. Dollars is always high, foreign xchange. Open ya eyes
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by hakanai(m): 12:17pm On Aug 18, 2011
Abeg you guys, just cut him some slack. He just put up his economic team.could you just give him the benefit of doubt.Remember he remains our president.Take it or leave it. !!!! undecided undecided undecided
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by bisiaet: 12:20pm On Aug 18, 2011
One thing that seems wonderful about how God create human is just the way every one has different opinion about things this is so awesome because I dont know what is wrong in what Jonathan said as per no dollar payment that some folks in the house are still criticising him and name calling.

Iweala is a good woman, a pure patriotic and a woman of virtue and she has decided to work with Gej and Gej has said he is not paying in dollar I guess both of them should be recommend and be given kudos for their desire to work together. And by the way why would Fed Govt pay any minister in dollar? please is dollar our currency or are we america annex or colony?

Some said but Gej can award contract in dollars but the scenario here is totally different because US  will not say because they are good allies of UK and for that reason all US secretary of whatever should be pay in Pound streling or visa versa is not done so I don't see big deal in this issue at all and there is no reason talking too much about it.
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by BigMeat2: 12:20pm On Aug 18, 2011
It doesn't matter which currency they're paid, most of them will still have enough access to plenty foreign currencies.

The most important thing is what they plan to achieve, I bet most of the ministers like GEJ haven't got any plans for the country through their respective ministeries.

Each minister should come up with a published short-term (6-18 months), medium-term (18-36 months) and long-term (36-48months) goals  and objectives of their various ministries, which everyone will know about. This is not rocket science.

Instead they keep jumping on statements which we have heard over and over again, like "full electricity by 2015", "road development by 2012", "rail upgrade by 2016", "Nigeria will be among the top 20 economies by 2020". Asked them how we will achieve all these, most of the minsters will have no idea.
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by philip0906(m): 12:20pm On Aug 18, 2011
abiolak:

don't mind d confused slowpo.ke. . . undecided
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by eghost247(m): 1:13pm On Aug 18, 2011
let them just serve the nation well
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by guente02(m): 1:50pm On Aug 18, 2011
What he shld simply do is concentrate on the needs of his citizens and stop making "lie lie" headlines. Whats the difference? What shld we do with if she is paid in dollars or naira. This President ought to start using the ticking part of his brain. Gibberish
Re: No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan by Theblessed(f): 1:58pm On Aug 18, 2011
[b][size=16pt]As if they need it and as if they mind being paid in NAIRA!  

They don't mind at all - their motives are to build and develop their beloved country, that had been ransacked by the devourers that plunged our country in abyss - that's all they want to do - build back Nigeria with all our help and support.  

To develop Nigeria so that she could once again, be proud of herself.

These people love their country from the bottom of their hearts and that's why they are doing it for nothing - that your Naira!!! 

Never you forget, they had lucrative jobs and ventures in many parts of the world, that pay and provide more than enough for them.

So, money is not their worry - instead Nigerian should be thankful to God for their intelligence and skills that they are bringing to the job thus, offering it to us, for peanuts!

To them, it's about Love for their country and not about money!  They have acquired enough for themselves and family therefore, your money is not their motives.

So people, trust them if only you could support them instead of sabotaging their efforts in helping Nigerians!!
[/size][/b]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is ‘Aboki’ A Tribal Slur? / Lagos To Build Center For Raped Victims / See What Nigerians Expect Buhari To Do For Them. Picture .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.