Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,476 members, 7,808,731 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:04 PM

Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party - Events (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party (29133 Views)

FESTAC '77 - 'The Great Black Olympics Of 1977' - Video / Biggest Party In Port Harcourt The Legacy By Legacy Bloodline / The Biggest Party In Port Harcourt This October - Night In Vegas Party 2017 By C (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by Solosolojohquay: 5:29pm On Oct 17, 2022
What festac 77 taught us is the way a typical young Nigerian behave when they come into huge money spend it lavishly it was said that the festival was plan for 12 years can't they plan what will happen after festac too why can't they use the money to better the life of the citizen instead of hosting one unnecessary jaboree festival Dubai overtook Nigeria in time of development because of good leaders .
Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by staga: 7:25pm On Oct 17, 2022
Reflect7:

You're talking rubbish and telling lies.

The economy did not suffer after FESTAC. The economy boomed and boomed for a full 6 years after FESTAC until the world oil price crash of 1982 sent the country into recession. The country felt only a little pain because it had hefty savings from previous years. But the economy began to bite around '84 and '85 when Gen Babangida now went to the IMF for the infamous IMF loan bailout.

The country implemented the IMF 'remedy', the Structural Adjustment Programme (SAP). The IMF gave Nigeria various 'conditionalities' such as devaluation of the naira, spending cuts, and liberalisation of trade, ie opening the Nigerian market to all manner of foreign imports. Many developing countries at this time went for the same SAP as their economies struggled. The programme was controversial as it led to many economic problems for countries. That was the beginning of economic travails in Nigeria, and it had absolutely nothing to do with God supposedly being angry with Nigeria for celebrating African culture at FESTAC 77.

I find it hard convincing many young people today that my best life was lived in the 70s. A visit to Kingsway stores every weekend for all kinds of treats was a regular staple. My dad was earning N500 a month, had two cars to choose from. We ate it all: corned beef, stockfish (not the head that people eat this day), Provita drink, Green Sands Shandy, and all kinds of exotic foods and drinks.

I am still bewildered as to how President Shehu Shagari's government let it all go downhill. Buhari continued from there, then IBB and up until the complete mess we have today.

1 Like

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by yemmywesey(m): 7:37pm On Oct 17, 2022
Evidenx:
This festac was what enthroned Satan in Nigeria, Today Nigeria is one of the countries that Satan have office in. I speak by divine Revelation.
From 77 till now Nigeria began to go downward. Because people in their ignorance welcome the devil to take over their country.

You are a fool for making this statement.
Festac 77 was establish to make black people all around the world to have a self of belonging, dignity ,liberty and uphold there human rights on earth after post slave trade and colonial era.
It's for black people to be a dominating force in world to reckon with and making black people all around the world to be a dominant group or entity which can effectively participate in the international politics.
It's an avenue to display our heritage.
But colonial masters and missionaries want black people to disconnect from their heritage forever. They are now coming through the churches to demonise our culture, belief, heritage, spiritualism.
There is nothing like Satan or devil in African spiritualism or beliefs.
It's just a coined word to discourage or distract our mind.
Read Nigeria history first, study pre Colonia and post Colonia journey leading to independence. The direct and indirect rules of the British. History on how sokoto caliphate was formed by fulanis in Hausa kindom and Yoruba kingdom, and the roles the British played by ensuring the caliphate stands till dates. Power tussle between north and south.
Biafran civil war. Awolowo and nnamdi Azikiwe fued. Political Alliance between ahmadu bello and Nnamdi Azikiwe. Aburi accord. How Middle belts soldiers were eliminated and dominance reduction. Forceful amalgamation of north and south.
Ahmadu bello objectives. Sokoto caliphate expansionist agenda. Etc.

When you add all these political events together, how are you going to have a peaceful and prosperous Nigeria.
It's not in any way related to festac 77, so why are you infering that Satan was being brought to dis stabilize Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by Evidenx(m): 8:36pm On Oct 17, 2022
yemmywesey:

You are a fool for making this statement.
Festac 77 was establish to make black people all around the world to have a self of belonging, dignity ,liberty and uphold there human rights on earth after post slave trade and colonial era.
It's for black people to be a dominating force in world to reckon with.
It's an avenue to display our heritage.
But colonial masters and missionaries want black people to disconnect from their heritage forever. They are now coming through the churches to demonise our culture, belief, heritage, spiritualism.
There is nothing like Satan or devil in African spiritualism or beliefs.
It's just a coined word to discourage or distract our mind.
Read Nigeria history first, study pre Colonia and post Colonia journey leading to independence. The direct and indirect rules of the British. History on how sokoto caliphate was formed by fulanis in Hausa kindom and Yoruba kingdom, and the roles the British played by ensuring the caliphate stands till dates. Power tussle between north and south.
Biafran civil war. Awolowo and nnamdi Azikiwe fued. Political Alliance between ahmadu bello and Nnamdi Azikiwe. Aburi accord. How Middle belts soldiers were eliminated and dominance reduction. Forceful amalgamation of north and south.
Ahmadu bello objectives. Sokoto caliphate expansionist agenda. Etc.

When you add all these political events together, how are you going to have a peaceful and prosperous Nigeria.
It's not in any way related to festac 77, so why are you infering that Satan was being brought to dis stabilize Nigeria.
save your energy,a carnal man does not understand the things of the spirit,because they are foolishness unto him. But the spiritual man understands all things .
YOU ARE TOO CARNAL FOR MY LIKING.
Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by yemmywesey(m): 8:53pm On Oct 17, 2022
Evidenx:
save your energy,a carnal man does not understand the things of the spirit,because they are foolishness unto him. But the spiritual man understands all things .
YOU ARE TOO CARNAL FOR MY LIKING.

Study African history first, and not be misled by your pastors.
Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by Evidenx(m): 9:00pm On Oct 17, 2022
yemmywesey:

Study African history first, and not be misled by your pastors.
I don't to read twisted lies called history and I don't relate to God through my pastor,I have a direct relationship with my God,I am a Christian,not a church goer,when you think of me,think of a real and true follower of Christ in truth and in spirit not an average church goer living in sin.
Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by FullBlastLight: 9:45pm On Oct 17, 2022
Reflect7:

IGNORANT, BRAINLESS, COLONISED DONKEY.

LOW IQ MUMU.

TELL US WHY CHINA AND JAPAN ARE DOING SO WELL SINCE THEY OBSERVE THEIR TRADITIONAL RELIGION.

LEMME GUESS... YOUR TINY COLONISED BRAIN THAT IS JUST THERE FOR DECORATION NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT..

U post & comment is obviously a cry 4 help!

U desperately need a Saviour, dude!
Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by cyrusmillz: 10:38pm On Oct 17, 2022
Evidenx:
YES I KNOW YOU DON'T HAVE WORDS FOR ME BECAUSE WE ARE NOT IN THE SAME REALM. I SPEAK FROM THE IMORTAL REALM.
AND THE IMORTAL REALM CONTROLS THE MORTAL REALM.

Stop being silly mate. That you're typing in caps doesn't mean your making sense. Explain how a festival of art and culture made Nigeria from your so called spiritual realm.

The truth is what you heard about festac was regurgitated to you years ago when you were young and you still hold on to it .... Grow up
Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by yemmywesey(m): 11:57pm On Oct 17, 2022
Evidenx:
I don't to read twisted lies called history and I don't relate to God through my pastor,I have a direct relationship with my God,I am a Christian,not a church goer,when you think of me,think of a real and true follower of Christ in truth and in spirit not an average church goer living in sin.

I see, no need to argue with you then.
You are being led only on a unilateral dimension of a virtual thoughts.
Have a nice time.
Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by engrchykae(m): 12:01am On Oct 18, 2022
budaatum:

I don't know why many are willing to do what you've done here - blame others for our own failures. It's a lie, and it is irresponsible, as it reduces our powers to solve the issues we face.

Take slavery. White man arrived at the port by the sea waiting for us to go into the interior and kidnap our own people to come and sell to them, but instead of blaming us the seller, we insist on blaming the buyers.

Take electricity. We refuse to learn to say "let there be light" so the light comes on, but we want to blame the west for us living in our own self-imposed darkness and crying NEPA.

Take jobs. Instead of making things for ourselves, we prefer to go and buy tokunbo abroad, thereby providing jobs for those in tokunboland while our own people have no work.

One day, our suffer will reach to the point where we decide to be responsible for its alleviation. I just hope it's soon and before our children stone us for being irresponsible.
what Gaddafi did in Libya was scattered by USA.
If they don't get what they want,they bomb you outrightly.
Haiti fought and got free,what happened?
Haiti is still suffering all forms of suffering till date
Biafra tried and us still suffering till date.
The traditional rulers who refused to do the bidding of the slave buyers were all killed or exiled.
And what makes the difference is the maxim gun.
If you don't know,you ask questions before jumping into half truths
It's true that we played a part but it was compelled by greater military force of the colonialist

1 Like

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by semitunde: 12:33am On Oct 18, 2022
cyrusmillz:

Stop being silly mate. That you're typing in caps doesn't mean your making sense. Explain how a festival of art and culture made Nigeria from your so-called spiritual realm.

The truth is what you heard about festac was regurgitated to you years ago when you were young and you still hold on to it .... Grow up
And this here is the truth! Many young ones were told this same lie. The truth is that Nigeria was destroyed (read looted dry) by the same leaders that sold the propaganda that the celebration was the problem. It's called passing the buck, shifting responsibility and blame. The Whites(who were still trying to adjust to the liberation of Blacks from slavery) saw this as Black empowerment. It wasn't surprising to see that our leaders (who had little independent thoughts, unfortunately, and often deferred to the colonialist who they see as more intelligent) were used to carry out long-term plans to make sure this country never got to the position of being the leader of Blacks. Saying the fault was the "idols" was just perfect since it kills the desire of blacks for their culture (which festac was all about), and also puts the blame on our leaders making sure the citizens fight the leaders for this instead of looking at the real economic reasons for the downturn of things over that period.

2 Likes

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by Reflect7: 6:57am On Oct 18, 2022
budaatum:

I don't know why many are willing to do what you've done here - blame others for our own failures. It's a lie, and it is irresponsible, as it reduces our powers to solve the issues we face.

Take slavery. White man arrived at the port by the sea waiting for us to go into the interior and kidnap our own people to come and sell to them, but instead of blaming us the seller, we insist on blaming the buyers.

Take electricity. We refuse to learn to say "let there be light" so the light comes on, but we want to blame the west for us living in our own self-imposed darkness and crying NEPA.

Take jobs. Instead of making things for ourselves, we prefer to go and buy tokunbo abroad, thereby providing jobs for those in tokunboland while our own people have no work.

One day, our suffer will reach to the point where we decide to be responsible for its alleviation. I just hope it's soon and before our children stone us for being irresponsible.

There is a lot you don't know. You know nothing about the slave trade and how it occurred. You've not studied or researched it in depth. You just typed ignorant rubbish off the top of your head, as in the subsequent 'points' you raised.

Are you even aware of the history of CIA and western intelligence linked assassinations and depositions of progressive African leaders of the 60s and 70s, which led to the rise of more compliant, pro-western, and corrupt leaders in the 80s, 90s, till today?

As for ''buying Tokunbos instead of making things for ourselves'', we have hundreds of factories across the nation manufacturing all sorts of things you know nothing about.

Why not become a manufacturer yourself instead of imagining ''we'' have a problem?
Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by Reflect7: 7:01am On Oct 18, 2022
engrchykae:
what Gaddafi did in Libya was scattered by USA.
If they don't get what they want,they bomb you outrightly.
Haiti fought and got free,what happened?
Haiti is still suffering all forms of suffering till date
Biafra tried and us still suffering till date.
The traditional rulers who refused to do the bidding of the slave buyers were all killed or exiled.
And what makes the difference is the maxim gun.
If you don't know,you ask questions before jumping into half truths
It's true that we played a part but it was compelled by greater military force of the colonialist

Thanks for educating the kid. He still doesn't understand this world and how it operates.
Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by budaatum: 9:58am On Oct 18, 2022
Reflect7:

There is a lot you don't know. You know nothing about the slave trade and how it occurred. You've not studied or researched it in depth. You just typed ignorant rubbish off the top of your head, as in the subsequent 'points' you raised.

Are you even aware of the history of CIA and western intelligence linked assassinations and depositions of progressive African leaders of the 60s and 70s, which led to the rise of more compliant, pro-western, and corrupt leaders in the 80s, 90s, till today?

As for ''buying Tokunbos instead of making things for ourselves'', we have hundreds of factories across the nation manufacturing all sorts of things you know nothing about.

Why not become a manufacturer yourself instead of imagining ''we'' have a problem?

There are people here who on reading the above will surely determine for themselves who between you and I "knows nothing about the slave trade and how it occurred", and who between you and I might have "studied or researched it in depth", and who between us "just typed ignorant rubbish off the top of your head", especially when they read your subsequent 'points' where you connect 16th century slave trade with 20th century CIA and FBI.

There are many here too who will look around their homes and wonder why it is filled with tokunbo telly and their phone is tokunbo phone and their radio is tokunbo radio and their car is tokunbo car if as you claim "we have hundreds of factories across the nation manufacturing all sorts of things you know nothing about".

For me, your lack of manners says it all. If your points were valid you'd express them without being rude.

Reflect7, you've created a very informative thread here. Please do not now spoil it with ignorance and bad behaviour.
Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by budaatum: 10:44am On Oct 18, 2022
engrchykae:

When your sort rob a bank you'd claim you were compelled so it's not your fault.
Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by budaatum: 10:48am On Oct 18, 2022
Reflect7:

Thanks for educating the kid. He still doesn't understand this world and how it operates.

Neither of you know what you are talking about and it is obvious to those who know better. As for the kid bit, you obviously have failed to read responses on your own thread or you'd hesitate to use that word to refer to me.

Here is some very simply logic for you to start with.

If I take you to market and sell you as a slave, would you blame me or the buyer?
Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by Blue86(m): 12:08pm On Oct 18, 2022
And from there and then, Nigeria never became the same again.
Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by cyrusmillz: 8:39pm On Oct 18, 2022
semitunde:

And this here is the truth! Many young ones were told this same lie. The truth is that Nigeria was destroyed (read looted dry) by the same leaders that sold the propaganda that the celebration was the problem. It's called passing the buck, shifting responsibility and blame. The Whites(who were still trying to adjust to the liberation of Blacks from slavery) saw this as Black empowerment. It wasn't surprising to see that our leaders (who had little independent thoughts, unfortunately, and often deferred to the colonialist who they see as more intelligent) were used to carry out long-term plans to make sure this country never got to the position of being the leader of Blacks. Saying the fault was the "idols" was just perfect since it kills the desire of blacks for their culture (which festac was all about), and also puts the blame on our leaders making sure the citizens fight the leaders for this instead of looking at the real economic reasons for the downturn of things over that period.

Bro I don't even have anything else to add. You've perfectly summed up everything.
Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by Reflect7: 10:32pm On Oct 18, 2022
budaatum:

Neither of you know what you are talking about and it is obvious to those who know better. As for the kid bit, you obviously have failed to read responses on your own thread or you'd hesitate to use that word to refer to me.

Here is some very simply logic for you to start with.

If I take you to market and sell you as a slave, would you blame me or the buyer?

The slave trade and what led up to it is far more complex than this toddler analogy.

To condense it, the 'trade' began by large ships armed with cannon arriving from Europe and berthing at little coastal villages in West Africa.

They came out of the ships and DEMANDED x number of captives for shipment.

They came armed with FIREARMS and ARTILLERY against villagers who still used iron weapons.

These heavily armed ships didn't arrive those coastal villages from thousands of miles away to ASK if the people had some of their people they would like to sell. And if the people said no, they would say ''oh, sorry!", and move on.

The world didn't work that way in those days.

There was no UN charter on human rights.

No AU, or FG.

It was come, see, and conquer (if you have the means).

So when the ship would land and demand say 500 slaves, the village would raid its neighbour, to collect those captives and sell to the Europeans, to avoid having their village bombarded and destroyed by cannon fire.

As more armed ships arrived the coasts seeking your ancestors, 'slave wars' became common, and spread into the interior, as each community tried to acquire captives to 'sell' to the Europeans.

Another very common method the Europeans used was to arrive a coastal village and seek audience with the village chief, or group of elders. They would then kidnap him/them, (armed with firearms as defence) and then give the distraught villagers the condition that they would not be released till say 1000 people are provided for shipment.

Can you imagine the kind of chaos and societal breakdown this would have caused in coastal West Africa? This was a region where there were no large empires or centralised states. Just little, independent villages and clans.

The one major centralised kingdom there, Benin, banned the slave trade in its realms, and enforced it with a powerful military. Northern Nigeria was virtually exempt from the entire trade, as it was protected by powerful empires.

So the slave trade ships simply took advantage of the fragmented nature of societies along the West African coast, and lack of resistance to their weapons etc.

So, you see, the whole thing was far more complicated than your simply saying ''If I take you to market and sell you as a slave, would you blame me or the buyer?!''

It is a view based in lack of research on your part, of what actually transpired in the period. You simply assessed it like a layman (oh these stupid people sold each other). smiley

1 Like

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by budaatum: 12:48am On Oct 19, 2022
Reflect7:

The slave trade and what led up to it is far more complex than this toddler analogy.

To condense it, the 'trade' began by large ships armed with cannon arriving from Europe and berthing at little coastal villages in West Africa.

Shows how little you know.

Read up on Trans-Sahara Slave Trade that predated large ships, then come back for more education.

Also learn some African history where you'd find Africans traded slaves amongst themselves, then we can perhaps debate who is the toddler between the two of us.

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by budaatum: 12:53am On Oct 19, 2022
And in case you think slavery was an African thing, also read about the history of slavery too please.

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by budaatum: 12:57am On Oct 19, 2022
And also read up on how Europeans enslaved themselves before they discovered you in Africa.

Re: Remembering FESTAC 77, Nigeria's Biggest Party by Nobody: 9:51am On Oct 19, 2022
siofra:

Then why did Asian countries make it?
The West didn't see them as a threat too? If they didn't, why?

angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Buried On His Wedding Day In Cross River State (Photos) / 10 Ways Instagram Wedding Pages Frustrate Broke People (MEME Collections) / 43-Year-Old Police Officer Buried In His Uniform In Adamawa State. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.