Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,763 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:00 PM

Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track (6025 Views)

Why Is Lagos Erecting Iron Fence Between The Railway Track? / Kogi Gov Poll: PDP Raises Alarm Over Alleged Police Harassment Of Members / Nigerians In Kenya Protest Police Harassment And Intimidation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by emmatok(m): 6:22pm On Aug 19, 2011
Those critizing the OP are hypocretes.

The only time you should not drive or stop on a rail a Railway Track, is when a TRAIN is on the track.

And that will be indicated by a barrier and warning bell .

But those Police men are just opportunist.
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by emmatok(m): 6:44pm On Aug 19, 2011
Another one at the-same Railway Track.

Lecturer Escapes Police Gun Shots
A lecturer at the Federal College of Education, Akoka, Lagos, Southwest Nigeria, Mrs. Abimbola Bankole, escaped being killed by a Police Inspector, Gabriel Akpan, attached to Railway Police Station, Elewedu, Mushin, Lagos on Wednesday.
P.M.NEWS learnt that Mrs. Bankole was driving her Toyota Avalon car when the police inspector shot at her but missed his target.
Narrating her experience, Mrs. Bankole said: “I was driving towards Jibowu from Ojuelegba. At a point, the traffic light was green and when it turned red, I found myself on the rail line. As I tried to reverse my car, there was no space and suddenly the police inspector brandishing a rifle, ordered me to open my door and I refused because I did not know him and I was scared.
“As I tried to park, he shot at me and missed his target. When I eventually parked my car I came down to ask him what offence did I commit.
“He told me to surrender my car key. Then suddenly, the Divisional Police Officer, DPO, in charge of the station, Alhaja Bello, stormed the scene to take me to the station alongside owners of about 10 other vehicles.
“At the station the police inspector lied that I drove dangerously; that I wanted to kill a police officer (referring to himself) and I was told to write my statement, which I did. Thereafter, he boasted that he would take me to court.
“All other people whose cars were also impounded were later allowed to go, on what condition, I did not know.”
An eye witness, who gave his name as Deola Akanni, said: “ The Police Inspector, Akpan, is a wicked man. This woman (Mrs. Bankole) was so lucky. If he had killed her, he would have blamed it on accidental discharge.”
One of the residents in the area, Kabiru Asimiyu, said: “ I can never allow my children to join the police force. Most of them bring shame to us and when you try to correct them, you are in trouble. They thought if they did that to the woman, she would bring out money to beg them.”
When P.M. NEWS reporters called at the station following the incident, the DPO, Alhaja Bello and Inspector Akpan threatened to shoot at them.
—Oluwole Adeboye
http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2011/08/19/lecturer-escapes-police-gun-shots/
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by Nobody: 6:51pm On Aug 19, 2011
On a second thought, If i were a policeman and my place of employment looked like that, mennnnnn i weep for Nigeria!
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by Outstrip(f): 8:48pm On Aug 19, 2011
Only the Good Lord protects people in that hell hole. What if that bullet had hit her. Gosh. If there were armed robbers there this punk as.ss would have sh, t on himself
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by tEsLim(m): 9:48pm On Aug 19, 2011
Does that police station have CELL? or they dont detain criminals there. Because al i need is go in with a pliar or some small screw driver cheesy
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by mustafar1: 9:49pm On Aug 19, 2011
see this dude that didn't go to driving school, neither did he read the driving code or does he know the rules of driving blaming the police for his own error. there doesn't have to be a sign saying dint stay on the railway tracks for you to know not to. heck, simple common sense would tell you not to. if theres traffic, u make sure u have enough space to clear the tracks b4 u move forward. its that simple. you trying to rubbish the police for wat happened to you makes it obvious you need lessons on driving rules, psychiatric evaluation, should be made to cram the whole road safety drivers manual etc etc. summary, YOU ARE A BAD DRIVER!
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by dinggle: 10:00pm On Aug 19, 2011
The Nigeria police or govt has no right to arrest anyone who stop on the tracks with out a readable sign and visibly drawn line to indicate stop points. What they did to you was a trap arrest which is completely illegal in any civilized country.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by oohunt: 11:20pm On Aug 19, 2011
Thank you all for your comments.

The Londoners and Americanas, we are not in the UK or USA. I have driven in both countries and I understand the gravity. Driving in Lagos is different. Abroad, you will be duly notified with rail track signs first then markings on the road. If and when a train is approaching the traffic lights at the rail crossing will turn red with the sounding alarms to tell a driver that a train is approaching and then the barriers would come down. There is no traffic light before the barriers and the barriers at that location did not even come down when the train passed! The conditions in Lagos are just different so you just can't compare.

I agree what I did would be considered an offence but after I finished with them at the police station, I passed through the railway tracks again and there was a car on the rail track, but no police! What do you say about that How has terrorizing and arresting 10 people earlier helped to warn others of the danger,

Yes, these photos are the actual police station we were taken to. It is called Railway Police Station, Mushin. You can only imagine.

I did not give them KOBO! There was no fine for the offence, (maybe there is but we did not pay it) they only wanted to take money from us. I refused to give them any money.

@Sacarstic, wonderful suggestion, I do not mind contributing some money in putting up a sign at that location. I don't belong to rotary anyway.

Thank God, at least the story is being told by another person and this happened today, 19th August! Please o tell your family members and everyone you know before they kill someone unnecessarily.
http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2011/08/19/lecturer-escapes-police-gun-shots/
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by lastpage: 12:27am On Aug 20, 2011
Well, from the look of things, l hope those of you who were "comparing Lagos to U.K" and criticizing the Poster, can as well tell us whether a
Met. Policeman would "open fire on a woman" who is unarmed and not in anyway a threat to the officer, in the U.K? Please tell us NOW!

I have also driven in about four European countries and in America.
We all know what it takes to get a "Provisional License", not to mention going for a Full License!
We all see the road markings, for every single "information, caution and requirement" directive.

In those countries, they dont expect you to use "COMMON SENSE", they expect you to "OBEY THE LAW"!

The onus is on the government to ensure that adequate laws are in place to protect the citizens and if you flout the law, you get a fine/disqualification/jail time! wink

Let me bring some humor into this discourse! grin
First time l drove in the U.S, after just landing there for just over a month, l was always waiting for other drivers at junctions, flashing them to "pass or cross", just out of courtesy!.
I thought l was being "nice" by giving-way to others as this is almost unimaginable in Lagos! grin

To my horror, a few Yanks gave me the "middle finger" sign on such occasions! angry

A few months later, l wanted to sit for my Full License and l raised the issue with my instructor.
He said l was actually contravening driving rules, by asking people to pass or giving them the go-ahead at a junction with a traffic light.
How l asked?
He said, "the LIGHTS and SIGNS" are there to "direct and control" every driver's action and those things dont need help from me!
He also said that as long as everyone obeyed the light/signs and markings, ALL WILL BE FINE!

Well, l felt stewpid for trying to be nice! grin grin Now, l am not nice anymore, l just drive and dont give a hoot!
wink grin

My point is this:
If there was no sign indicating a railway crossing, if there was no ground/road markings indicating a "No-Stopping/ Non-stationary" action, you cannot blame the Poster for not obeying one; ITS NOT ABOUT COMMON SENSE, ITS ABOUT THE TRAFFIC LAW!

If we must compare U.K/U.S to Lagos, we must then compare them in "all ramifications"!
Dont compare Apples and Oranges please.
What manner of U.K Police would point a gun at a woman, IN PUBLIC and actually fire a shot,, ,.,., and then MISS from point blank! shocked shocked

Cheers.
Lastpage
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by mustafar1: 11:34am On Aug 21, 2011
so with your logic, because theres no sign saying not to be on the tracks. it is ok to be stuck on the tracks. . . .
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by lastpage: 4:02pm On Aug 21, 2011
Not at all, l am NOT saying or implying that.
How can it be "nice or O.K." to get stuck on  a rail track? Its like playing with death.

But if you go back and read me again, l am implying an often repeated logic: There cannot be a crime when there is no statutory law against that offense!

And when l use the phrase "statutory law", l refer to a legally coded law, by the govt of the day.

By implication, the same govt that would enact such law owes its citizens a duty of care to "erect signs, barriers and mark the road" showing specifically that there is a law in operation at that point, demarcating its limits of operation and making it possible for the public to "make a choice": To Obey or to disobey

That my friend, you will agree with me, is how it is done in all those America and Europe that we are comparing ourselves to.

Let me stretch it a little further:
In the U.K for example, if someone comes to your shop and shop-lifted a bag of item and was caught on your CCTV Camera.
Though he was caught for shop-lifting (the CCTV footage), a simple "technicality" like not DISPLAYING A NOTICE THAT READS: CCTV IN OPERATION would actually make him WALK FREE! You MUST display the signage! wink

It is "settled in law" that you cannot make "a legality out of an illegality".

I hope l am able to explain myself better to you now?

Cheers,
Lastpage.
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by oohunt: 7:50pm On Aug 21, 2011
Re: Nigerian Police Harassment @ Jibowu Railway Track by akigbemaru: 2:24pm On Apr 10, 2019
oohunt:
My people o, as a note of warning, DO NOT STOP ON THE RAILWAY LINE at Jibowu. I had a horrible experience with the police today at that location.
I was going towards Jibowu from Western avenue, saw these policemen standing in that area, I did not think anything of it. I looked left and right to make sure there was no train coming and I saw people walking along the rail tracks with some even selling things, and I thought ok, this track is surely not functional. The car in front of me moved forward and I followed only for the car to stop suddenly because of the traffic light ahead. Didn't give me enough gap to get the back of the car away from the tracks. Within seconds, my car was surrounded by ARMED policemen. ROLL DOWN YOUR WINDOW! I did. YOU STOPPED ON THE RAIL TRACK. I tried to move forward to get away from the track, they refused. And that was where the wahala started. I was honesty shaken because they were all armed and were threatening me.
After much argument, and after catching a hand full of others like me, we were taken to the Railway Police Station in Mushin. They were 10 of us. After keeping us waiting for 3 hours, they said we should come back the next day at some court somewhere to hear our sentence/fine we are going to pay. Of course it was a load of c.r.a.p!
It was just too obvious what they wanted. If you see the state of this so called police station, I'll upload the photos.

Bottomline, this rail track is functional even though it does not look that way and according to the DPO, there have been 4 incidences of death at those tracks. So for your own safety and to avoid police embarrassment, beware.

When are we ever going to learn to be our brother's keeper in Nigeria? Should the police not be there to protect and say " get off the tracks"? And then arrest you if you refuse? Or put up a sign there? The whole ordeal was completely unnecessary. Are we ever going to change

Your comments on this please.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Toll Gates Back Soon On Federal Roads –onolememen / BREAKING NEWS:PDP Accepts Rochas Back / When Did Buhari Suddenly Become Electable?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.