Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,496 members, 7,781,484 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:24 PM

How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? (2812 Views)

4 Reasons Why Learning Python Is A Game Changer For Your Coding Career / Learn The Fundamentals Of Python And Learn Hacking Using Your Coding Skills. / How Much Did Your State Earn As Revenue For 2020 (Last Year)? Check Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by vinlyreeks(m): 3:22am On Oct 23, 2022
Hi Devs on nairaland.
So I have been recently touring the net looking for cool work from home set up. And I am about reaching to a conclusion that devs in Nigeria are not really big on "Mad" coding setups.

I have a request:
1. please can I see a picture or your home set up.
2. How much it cost you to set it up.
3. What could you have done better
4. Names and places where you got your gadgets.

Mods please help me escalate.

Example of what I mean
Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by vinlyreeks(m): 3:23am On Oct 23, 2022

1 Like

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by vinlyreeks(m): 3:24am On Oct 23, 2022

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by TastyFriedPussy: 8:58am On Oct 23, 2022
Ahh omo, me im not just mad about setup's I'm mentally mental about setup's and when I finally make enough money, I'll set up a space ship grin not just a setup. Right now I don't have a setup except my laptop and the charger grin but as time goes on, I'm planning on getting two more neat fairly used monitors to connect to my laptop on my desk, a mechanical keyboard (I can do touch typing, learnt that at the cyber cafe I was working before I got money to buy my laptop), a nice office chair (nothing too expensive), a wired headphone, and an rgb gaming mouse, just to get that high tech feeling so that anytime I look at the beauty of the setup, It'll be a motivation for me anytime I feel demotivated cool

6 Likes

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by vinlyreeks(m): 9:48am On Oct 23, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:
Ahh omo, me im not just mad about setup's I'm mentally mental about setup's and when I finally make enough money, I'll set up a space ship grin not just a setup. Right now I don't have a setup except my laptop and the charger grin but as time goes on, I'm planning on getting two more neat fairly used monitors to connect to my laptop on my desk, a mechanical keyboard (I can do touch typing, learnt that at the cyber cafe I was working before I got money to buy my laptop), a nice office chair (nothing too expensive), a wired headphone, and an rgb gaming mouse, just to get that high tech feeling so that anytime I look at the beauty of the setup, It'll be a motivation for me anytime I feel demotivated cool

Nice setups gives this drive to code more. �
Thanks baba.
Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:22am On Oct 23, 2022
We no get money for naija o grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by dopedan(m): 10:44am On Oct 23, 2022
Better soup na money kill am
Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by peterincredible: 12:28pm On Oct 23, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
We no get money for naija o grin grin
guy that office chair alone I hear say fairly use na from 70k up who get that time when plastic chair dey

4 Likes

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by Sleekcode: 12:53pm On Oct 23, 2022
peterincredible:
guy that office chair alone I hear say fairly use na from 70k up who get that time when plastic chair dey

When u get money u won't reason like this

Imagine... Rubber chair?

Don't u plan to become rich someday?

Or u have totally surrendered to poverty?

7 Likes

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by Sleekcode: 12:54pm On Oct 23, 2022

This one ain't bad

3 Likes

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by peterincredible: 1:27pm On Oct 23, 2022
Sleekcode:

When u get money u won't reason like this

Imagine... Rubber chair?

Don't u plan to become rich someday?

Or u have totally surrendered to poverty?
guy I won't come here to make mouth I make moni to take all my bills but my pay for now if I spend it on that kind of tin it is mis appropriation of moni on my own end base on responsibity on my head for now so I will stick to my plastics chair till when i make more moni or earn more moni that does not mean I don't plan to be reach or have plans I am working towards that will shoot my income up more in the next 3 yrs I am just talking base on my plans and budget for now

7 Likes

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by Sleekcode: 1:51pm On Oct 23, 2022
peterincredible:
guy I won't come here to make mouth I make moni to take all my bills but my pay for now if I spend it on that kind of tin it is mis appropriation of moni on my own end base on responsibity on my head for now so I will stick to my plastics chair till when i make more moni or earn more moni that does not mean I don't plan to be reach or have plans I am working towards that will shoot my income up more in the next 3 yrs I am just talking base on my plans and budget for now

Ok bro
Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by RepoMan007: 1:54pm On Oct 23, 2022
Follow follow people. What is the point buying hardware of 1m Naira only to start looking for cracked software like a mad man?
To cap it off, they will spend one year coding to-do list app with a UI that looks like pizza from Aba?
Muyen kill u there.

8 Likes

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by Sleekcode: 1:59pm On Oct 23, 2022
RepoMan007:
Follow follow people. What is the point buying hardware of 1m Naira only to start looking for cracked software like a mad man?
To cap it off, they will spend one year coding to-do list app with a UI that looks like pizza from Aba?
Muyen kill there.

What are u even saying?

Is it now a crime to have a nice work from home setup?

Remember it's your home office and literally the place where u work and earn money from?

Can u even hear yourself?
grin

2 Likes

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by vinlyreeks(m): 11:59pm On Oct 26, 2022
RepoMan007:
Muyen kill u there.

I agree with you. But for this post we accept only reasonable and we'll constructed opinions. Thank you!
Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:12am On Oct 27, 2022
RepoMan007:
Muyen kill u there.

For a beginner it's overkill but once you start working you will need an extra monitor at least. It will improve your productivity in ten folds at least from my own experience.

4 Likes

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by qtguru(m): 8:27am On Oct 27, 2022
Sleekcode:

What are u even saying?

Is it now a crime to have a nice work from home setup?

Remember it's your home office and literally the place where u work and earn money from?

Can u even hear yourself?
grin

Wetin do table and chair lol grin I'm an Ijebu dev
Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by Sleekcode: 9:48am On Oct 27, 2022
qtguru:

Wetin do table and chair lol grin I'm an Ijebu dev

grin

1 Like

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by Generapype: 10:46am On Oct 27, 2022
RepoMan007:
Muyen kill u there.

grin This nigga dey vex, buh I feel you tho
Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by seunny4lif(m): 11:17am On Oct 27, 2022
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Calm down cheesy

You just dey shake table anyhow cheesy
RepoMan007:
Muyen kill u there.
Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by airsaylongcome: 1:46pm On Oct 27, 2022
I'm laughing hard at the OP that wants to have oyibo setup in Nigeria. First of all go and price these items locally make your eye clear. That fine chair you are seeing starts from like ₦140k tear rubber. Those nice fancy screens? Forget it. You have to import directly. Do you even have a properly wired 1Gbps home network (which is old tech for Oyibo who are mostly 2.5Gbps or 10Gbps). Can you afford to buy your own Unifi router and switches to give you excellent local coverage? Brand new Plantronics headset I bought the other day was ₦70k in September. Easily ₦150k now. Go market make you price all these items. Make your eye clear.

Get a functional ergonomic chair and a decent spacious desk. Nice wireless mouse. Decent monitors. You are good to go. You wan dey do setup like American. You know how much that American dey earn? And do you know the choices available to him? Do you have a Microcenter were you can walk in to shop for all these fancy computing gear or na Otigba you wan go buy the?

7 Likes

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by Sleekcode: 3:46pm On Oct 27, 2022
airsaylongcome:
I'm laughing hard at the OP that wants to have oyibo setup in Nigeria. First of all go and price these items locally make your eye clear. That fine chair you are seeing starts from like ₦140k tear rubber. Those nice fancy screens? Forget it. You have to import directly. Do you even have a properly wired 1Gbps home network (which is old tech for Oyibo who are mostly 2.5Gbps or 10Gbps). Can you afford to buy your own Unifi router and switches to give you excellent local coverage? Brand new Plantronics headset I bought the other day was ₦70k in September. Easily ₦150k now. Go market make you price all these items. Make your eye clear.

Get a functional ergonomic chair and a decent spacious desk. Nice wireless mouse. Decent monitors. You are good to go. You wan dey do setup like American. You know how much that American dey earn? And do you know the choices available to him? Do you have a Microcenter were you can walk in to shop for all these fancy computing gear or na Otigba you wan go buy the?

Una can funny ehh

Nawao

So because the chair is 140k person no go fit buy am again?

Were Una the even stay self

And which one is Oyibo setup and Nigerian setup

Make Una allow those in Nigeria way get the money to setup their workspace how they want it

Me that's even planning to get a game space also with fancy gears

Everything boils down to how much you're earning last last and your personal choice

My workspace go be badass.... partly because I want to be recording videos for my YouTube from there also

Which people self the even like this your post.

Just imagine

"You want to do setup like American"

As per na only American get monopoly to have nice work setup?

How nonsensical
Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:19pm On Oct 27, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Sometimes they don't even buy it with their money. The companies set it up for them. A colleague of mine that got a job for a well known crypto company got a Samsung Odyssey g9 monitor and a computer with an rtx 3080 GPU just cause he filled in the equipment form that that's what he wanted. The rtx gpu alone will buy a 2019 MacBook. I don't even wanna call other parts

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by qtguru(m): 4:20pm On Oct 27, 2022
Sleekcode:

Una can funny ehh

Nawao

So because the chair is 140k person no go fit buy am again?

Were Una the even stay self

And which one is Oyibo setup and Nigerian setup

Make Una allow those in Nigeria way get the money to setup their workspace how they want it

Me that's even planning to get a game space also with fancy gears

Everything boils down to how much you're earning last last and your personal choice

My workspace go be badass.... partly because I want to be recording videos for my YouTube from there also

Which people self the even like this your post.

Just imagine

"You want to do setup like American"

As per na only American get monopoly to have nice work setup?

How nonsensical

It's referring to Web devs buying expensive hardware for normal work, as a gamer it's understandable.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by Sleekcode: 4:39pm On Oct 27, 2022
qtguru:

It's referring to Web devs buying expensive hardware for normal work, as a gamer it's understandable.

Depends on how u define expensive sha...
Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by airsaylongcome: 4:50pm On Oct 27, 2022
Sleekcode:

Depends on how u define expensive sha...

See ehn, I like the good things of life. But it's best for people to focus on first things first. The people that are longing to do these fancy setups don't have ₦5m block money to foot the bill. And that's with Chinese items targeted for the Nigerian market. If you want to pick the fancy brand names that goes into the American markets (the likes of IKEA) triple that ₦5m. People did not get into remote role to be looking at fancy setups. Na hunger pursue many of us inside there. Have they solved power and internet problems first? First things first bro. Maslow's hierarchy of needs

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by airsaylongcome: 4:52pm On Oct 27, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Sometimes they don't even buy it with their money. The companies set it up for them. A colleague of mine that got a job for a well known crypto company got a Samsung Odyssey g9 monitor and a computer with an rtx 3080 GPU just cause he filled in the equipment form that that's what he wanted. The rtx gpu alone will buy a 2019 MacBook. I don't even wanna call other parts

Agree. But it's not that easy for someone in Nigeria. My employers twice wanted to send me hardware for work. Twice US Customs blocked it. Bad ass Telecoms gear. Say make dem go bring export license. They sent me money to buy the items here. I no see am at all.

My point is, for person to dey look Instagram content creator setups is nice. But it's nicer to focus on the reason we dey do this Jackie work. It's to be able to have better lives financially not have "mad setups". If I'm earning $10k+ per month, I go reason "mad setup", until that time make I manage my ergonomic chair

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:58pm On Oct 27, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Agree. But it's not that easy for someone in Nigeria. My employers twice wanted to send me hardware for work. Twice US Customs blocked it. Bad ass Telecoms gear. Say make dem go bring export license. They sent me money to buy the items here. I no see am at all.

My point is for person to dey look Instagram content creator setups is nice. But it's nicer to focus on the reason we dey do this Jackie work. It's to be able to have better lives financially not have "mad setups". If I'm earning $10k+ per month, I go reason "mad setup", until that time make I manage my ergonomic chair

You get it o. I still use an old plastic chair. The only expensive thing on my setup is my laptop and my monitor came from qtguru. No need spending anyhow in this period of economic uncertainty.

1 Like

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by qtguru(m): 5:02pm On Oct 27, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

You get it o. I still use an old plastic chair. The only expensive thing on my setup is my laptop and my monitor came from qtguru. No need spending anyhow in this period of economic uncertainty.

No time, even the chairs I have, I got it for 5k from Andela auction. this economy no lau lau spending.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by airsaylongcome: 5:21pm On Oct 27, 2022
qtguru:

No time, even the chairs I have, I got it for 5k from Andela auction. this economy no lau lau spending.

Chair though is one thing I’m not going to compromise on any longer o. Some days it feels like Dangote truck need to drive on my back to massage it. Chairs and a Gigabit home network for me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by Sleekcode: 7:59pm On Oct 27, 2022
airsaylongcome:

See ehn, I like the good things of life. But it's best for people to focus on first things first. The people that are longing to do these fancy setups don't have ₦5m block money to foot the bill. And that's with Chinese items targeted for the Nigerian market. If you want to pick the fancy brand names that goes into the American markets (the likes of IKEA) triple that ₦5m. People did not get into remote role to be looking at fancy setups. Na hunger pursue many of us inside there. Have they solved power and internet problems first? First things first bro. Maslow's hierarchy of needs

Jesus.... bro as the title of the topic clearly states

It's asking how much your setup is

If people have the money to build a nice setup then that's their business.... no need lecturing people on financial education

If someone decides to use a rubber chair and use their lap as table it's still their business....

Bro my setup will be mad that's all I know
Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by airsaylongcome: 9:06pm On Oct 27, 2022
Sleekcode:

Jesus.... bro as the title of the topic clearly states

It's asking how much your setup is

If people have the money to build a nice setup then that's their business.... no need lecturing people on financial education

If someone decides to use a rubber chair and use their lap as table it's still their business....

Bro my setup will be mad that's all I know

Enjoy fam!

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Have A Google Coding Interview Coming Up. I’m Panicking!!! / Creating Interactive Cd Using Flash / Array Of Countries And Cities In Php

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.