Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,981 members, 7,863,488 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 06:48 PM

How Tolerant Is God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Tolerant Is God? (3093 Views)

Studying Theology Makes One Less Pharisaical, Less Critical And More Tolerant. / Why Are The Yoruba Muslims More Tolerant? / Are Jehovah’s Witnesses Tolerant Of Other Religions? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Tolerant Is God? by gideonjeta(m): 10:03am On Oct 23, 2022
THROUGHOUT history God has tolerated much badness and outright wickedness. Many individuals are puzzled by God’s permission of wickedness. Do you feel at times that God should hurry up and destroy all wicked people right away? Consider what the Bible says about the limits of God’s tolerance and the reasons for it.
God is patiently tolerating many things that he finds totally unacceptable. Although he hates wickedness, he is temporarily allowing it to continue. There are good reasons for his doing so.
One of the reasons is he allows time for the crucial issues raised by Satan’s rebellion in the garden of Eden to be settled once and for all time. These are issues that center around the rightness and rightfulness of God’s way of ruling.
Another reason is God patient endurance of wrong provides time and opportunity for those involved in badness to change.
However, it would be unloving and unreasonable for God to allow wrongdoing to continue forever. No loving father would endlessly tolerate badness from one of his children who continued deliberately to inflict grievous pain on other family members. Apostle Paul made reference to this at Acts 17:30.31. Jehovah God has outlined a timetable and now is the time for those who continue in badness to repent genuinely and change their ways as stated in Acts 3:19.
In summary, Jehovah God is tolerant but there is a limit. As soon as the limit elapsed, the wicked who remain unrepentant in their ways shall face God's judgement.
Re: How Tolerant Is God? by orisa37: 11:47am On Oct 23, 2022
That you horrible SINNER, are still alive is God's Excessive TOLERANCE.

2 Likes

Re: How Tolerant Is God? by Maynman: 3:14pm On Oct 24, 2022
Jealousy and tolerance doesn’t go together.

1 Like

Re: How Tolerant Is God? by uche40(f): 5:13pm On Oct 24, 2022
If you ask me, the God of the Old Testament is intolerance personified.

5 Likes

Re: How Tolerant Is God? by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:21pm On Oct 24, 2022
uche40:

It's just the same person but all you need to do is STUDYING the Bible not just READING it! smiley

1 Like

Re: How Tolerant Is God? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:28pm On Oct 24, 2022
uche40:

No one asked you.

And humous man are still the same old very disobedient, very annoying, rebellious and stupid people who never learn that it is very stupid and destructive to fight your Creator.

You will lose every time!
Re: How Tolerant Is God? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:29pm On Oct 24, 2022
orisa37:
That you horrible SINNER, are still alive is God's Excessive TOLERANCE.

I tell you!

If na me ehn,...

Ha! He is Too Good!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Tolerant Is God? by uche40(f): 6:38pm On Oct 24, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

No one asked you.

And humous man are still the same old very disobedient, very annoying, rebellious and stupid people who never learn that it is very stupid and destructive to fight your Creator.

You will lose every time!

Who shit in your tea, sir?

2 Likes

Re: How Tolerant Is God? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:42pm On Oct 24, 2022
uche40:

Who shit in your tea, sir?

You People ma!

1 Like

Re: How Tolerant Is God? by uche40(f): 6:50pm On Oct 24, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

You People ma!

I see.

Well, I only said the truth. Didn't know it would hurt your feelings.

1 Like

Re: How Tolerant Is God? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:10pm On Oct 24, 2022
uche40:

I see.

Well, I only said the truth. Didn't know it would hurt your feelings.

You said the Lie and that is what set me off.
Re: How Tolerant Is God? by uche40(f): 7:15pm On Oct 24, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

You said the Lie and that is what set me off.

If you really think your God isn't intolerant, especially considering his actions and temperaments in the Old Testament, then maybe you haven't read your Bible properly and honestly.

I can already tell that you suffer from cognitive dissonance.

3 Likes

Re: How Tolerant Is God? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:21pm On Oct 24, 2022
uche40:

If you really think your God isn't intolerant, especially considering his actions and temperaments in the Old Testament, then maybe you haven't read your Bible properly and honestly.

I can already tell that you suffer from cognitive dissonance.

I see you suffer criminal bias disease and therefore things like righteousness and just is and judgement can not be known by you.

1 Like

Re: How Tolerant Is God? by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:33pm On Oct 24, 2022
The most tolerant personality ever: the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob!
Exodus 34:6
Psalms 103:8
Proverbs 14:29

1 Like

Re: How Tolerant Is God? by uche40(f): 9:04pm On Oct 24, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

I see you suffer criminal bias disease and therefore things like righteousness and just is and judgement can not be known by you.

Judgement? Yeah, right. Your God judges and condemns humans for committing acts that he KNEW they would commit before they were even conceived. Why don't you tell me more about your sense of just-is (sic)? Lol.

A perfect God created defective beings and placed them in a chaotic world, with complete foreknowledge of what they were capable of doing, no matter how horrendous or damaging it was to the world he created, as well as the inhabitants therein. It was all a part of his Divine Plan™.

The men that defiled and raped Jacob's daughter Dinah in the Bible -- your God saw their hearts and knew their intentions before they committed their evil acts. Guess what your God didn't do. Lol.

2 Likes

Re: How Tolerant Is God? by uche40(f): 9:16pm On Oct 24, 2022
MaxInDHouse:
The most tolerant personality ever: the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob!
Exodus 34:6
Psalms 103:8
Proverbs 14:29

You forgot Hosea 13:16

16 Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

Your God isn't even Pro-Life. So much for the Christians' anti-abortion movement. Lol.

2 Likes

Re: How Tolerant Is God? by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:25pm On Oct 24, 2022
uche40:

You forgot Hosea 13:16
16 Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.
Your God isn't even Pro-Life. So much for the Christians' anti-abortion movement. Lol.

Tolerance is when the most powerful person is warning the most powerless because He has no option than to send them to non-existence if they will continue to hurt themselves and good people around them! smiley

1 Like

Re: How Tolerant Is God? by uche40(f): 11:37pm On Oct 24, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Tolerance is when the most powerful person is warning the most powerless because He has no option than to send them to non-existence if they will continue to hurt themselves and good people around them! smiley

Usually, when someone issues a warning, s/he does it to caution and/or dissuade another person from doing something by pointing out consequences which may follow if the person goes ahead to do it. Hosea 13:16 reads more like a judgement, or at best, a prophecy, not a warning.

1 Like

Re: How Tolerant Is God? by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:12am On Oct 25, 2022
uche40:

Usually, when someone issues a warning, s/he does it to caution and/or dissuade another person from doing something by pointing out consequences which may follow if the person goes ahead to do it. Hosea 13:16 reads more like a judgement, or at best, a prophecy, not a warning.

Great! Now you're getting my point.
Jonah was sent to Nineveh to declare a death sentence on that city but when Ninevites heard Jonah and repented what did the so called INTOLERANT do? 2Peter 3:9

May you have PEACE! smiley

1 Like

Re: How Tolerant Is God? by uche40(f): 3:43am On Oct 25, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Great! Now you're getting my point.
Jonah was sent to Nineveh to declare a death sentence on that city but when Ninevites heard Jonah and repented what did the so called INTOLERANT do? 2Peter 3:9

May you have PEACE! smiley

Sir, I don't think we have the same understanding of the word TOLERANCE. It was INTOLERANCE of the Ninevites' practices and behaviors that made God declare a death sentence on Nineveh in the first place.

Please look up the meaning of INTOLERANCE in a standard and reputable dictionary. Thanks.
Re: How Tolerant Is God? by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:54am On Oct 25, 2022
uche40:

Sir, I don't think we have the same understanding of the word TOLERANCE. It was INTOLERANCE of the Ninevites' practices and behaviors that made God declare a death sentence on Nineveh in the first place.
Please look up the meaning of INTOLERANCE in a standard and reputable dictionary. Thanks.

Well it was the INTOLERANCE of the Israelites against pure worship and God's servants {1Kings 19:10 compare to Matthew 23:37} that brought about the declaration at Hosea 13:16

God bless you and may you have PEACE! smiley

1 Like

Re: How Tolerant Is God? by uche40(f): 3:59am On Oct 25, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Well it was the INTOLERANCE of the Israelites against pure worship and God's servants {1Kings 19:10 compare to Matthew 23:37} that brought about the declaration at Hosea 13:16

We were talking of God's intolerance. Don't shift the goalposts now.
Re: How Tolerant Is God? by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:25am On Oct 25, 2022
uche40:

We were talking of God's intolerance. Don't shift the goalposts now.

I understood you perfectly that's what prompted my initial statement:

"Tolerance is when the most powerful person is warning the most powerless because He has no option than to send them to non-existence if they will continue to hurt themselves and good people around them!"

It costs God nothing to wipe out an entire city if no one is ready to adjust their ways {Genesis 18:20-21} but then when he finds just 10 good persons He told Abraham "on the account of 10 good persons i will not destroy" {Genesis 18:32} and is this the same person you called INTOLERANT?
Please think of what Abraham did by bargaining from the destruction of two cities he continues from 50 to 10 and God kept saying "on the account of that number i will spare the cities" Haba, how come you now refer to such a personality with the greatest kindness as INTOLERANT?

I don't know you but i'm pleading with you now to go on your knees and beg Him for forgiveness because you've spoken against the Holy One of Israel. There is no one as loving and kind as the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

1 Like

Re: How Tolerant Is God? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:02am On Oct 25, 2022
uche40:

Judgement? Yeah, right. Your God judges and condemns humans for committing acts that he KNEW they would commit before they were even conceived.

The same way you judge and condemn your children even WHEN YOU KNEW that they would break your plates and phones, disrespect and disobey you, steal meat from the pot, fail their exams, run away with your caretc.

As I said, you do not know God because you are evil and therefore all your thinkings must be evil proving the Truth of The Law

As a man/woman is, so he/she thinketh or As a man/woman thinketh, so he/she is!

1 Like

Re: How Tolerant Is God? by uche40(f): 10:27am On Oct 25, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

It costs God nothing to wipe out an entire city if no one is ready to adjust their ways {Genesis 18:20-21} but then when he finds just 10 good persons He told Abraham "on the account of 10 good persons i will not destroy" {Genesis 18:32} and is this the same person you called INTOLERANT?
Please think of what Abraham did by bargaining from the destruction of two cities he continues from 50 to 10 and God kept saying "on the account of that number i will spare the cities" Haba, how come you now refer to such a personality with the greatest kindness as INTOLERANT?

I don't know you but i'm pleading with you now to go on your knees and beg Him for forgiveness because you've spoken against the Holy One of Israel. There is no one as loving and kind as the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

I already asked you to look up the meaning of the word "intolerance" in a standard and reputable dictionary. You have a very skewed understanding of what "intolerance" really is. It is most often described as the rejection, or the refusal to accept the views, practices and beliefs of other people that differ from yours.

One of the biggest sources of God's irritation throughout the Bible is idolatry. Your God is self-described as jealous. He expresses rage and becomes petty when his creation don't follow his orders. He doesn't entertain deviation from his commandments in the Old Testament. Your God may forgive people for disobeying him by worshipping other gods, but only under the condition that they REPENT and return to serving him only. That is the very definition of INTOLERANCE sir.

Your Holy Bible makes it quite clear that God does not tolerate sin. He condemned Adam and Eve's lifestyle choice to eat from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, placed curses on them and drove them out of the Garden of Eden.

Remember Uzzah and the Ark of the Tabernacle? What of the flood story in the Book of Genesis? Do these acts resemble those of a God who is willing to entertain any behavior or actions contrary to his will and orders?

Your God is also intolerant towards criticisms of his ways, and he labels it BLASPHEMY. That's why you're profusely begging me to "go on my knees" and seek his forgiveness. Not only is your God intolerant. He's a petty insecure crybaby.

Your God can kiss my ass for all I care. I have no need to please an emotionally turbulent fairy manchild who cant stand it when people don't bend over and submit to his infantile wishes. Your God reads like someone suffering from deep seated inferiority complex and low self-esteem.

Good morning.

3 Likes

Re: How Tolerant Is God? by uche40(f): 10:54am On Oct 25, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

The same way you judge and condemn your children even WHEN YOU KNEW that they would break your plates and phones, disrespect and disobey you, steal meat from the pot, fail their exams, run away with your caretc.

As I said, you do not know God because you are evil and therefore all your thinkings must be evil proving the Truth of The Law

As a man/woman is, so he/she thinketh or As a man/woman thinketh, so he/she is!

Your comparison of a human parent to an all-powerful, all-seeing entity is a good example of the False Analogy fallacy.

False Analogy ... a type of informal fallacy or a persuasive technique in which the fact that two things are alike in one respect leads to the invalid conclusion that they must be alike in some other respect.
https://dictionary.apa.org/false-analogy

Parents are humans, and are therefore not sufficient to represent an entity that is capable of transcending and seeing everything at once (omnipresence). Unlike God, a parent is limited in foreknowledge of his/her children's actions. S/he can predict, but cannot KNOW for certain what their children will do in their absence. You should rethink this analogy more carefully.

Foaming at the mouth won't accomplish anything for you here. Your ripostes to me so far smack of utter sentiments and emotion. Maybe you could try and actually face my arguments and tackle them honestly without resorting to needless ad hominems?

As for your puerile rantings attempting to exonerate your God of evil, I point you towards this excellent piece from Samuel Clemens:

"There is one notable thing about our Christianity: bad, bloody, merciless, money-grabbing, and predatory as it is--in our country particularly and in all other Christian countries in a somewhat modified degree--it is still a hundred times better than the Christianity of the Bible, with its prodigious crime--the invention of Hell. Measured by our Christianity of to-day, bad as it is, hypocritical as it is, empty and hollow as it is, neither the Deity nor his Son is a Christian, nor qualified for that moderately high place. Ours is a terrible religion. The fleets of the world could swim in spacious comfort in the innocent blood it has spilled."

1 Like

Re: How Tolerant Is God? by Dtruthspeaker: 1:48pm On Oct 25, 2022
uche40:

Your comparison of a human parent to an all-powerful, all-seeing entity is a good example of the False Analogy fallacy.

Go and check all the fallacies, they are about matters which are not True in Nature and ordinary Natural Living and not just a thing you throw about because you have nothing reasonable to say.
Re: How Tolerant Is God? by uche40(f): 3:19pm On Oct 25, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Go and check all the fallacies, they are about matters which are not True in Nature and ordinary Natural Living and not just a thing you throw about because you have nothing reasonable to say.

Nobody asked for your shoddy reclassification of what qualifies to be called a logical fallacy. Logical fallacies occur when you produce an invalid argument with a false conclusion. Please go get an education in cognitive biases and logical fallacies and stop embarrassing yourself. You're starting to sound like a whimpering amateur.

I have demonstrated the error of your argument to you. A parent can NOT KNOW for a FACT what their child will be doing in the next 27 years at 3:00pm on the 25th of October, 2049. The parent can NOT even KNOW if the child will be alive by then. Such a parent will need to exist outside of time. Do you know of any human beings who exist outside of time? Your analogy was demonstrated to be flawed. Deal with it.

Meanwhile, is that all you could possibly come up with? You have to come harder than this. Your arguments so far indicate to me that you are a just an emotional lightweight who only regurgitates washed out arguments peddled to him by his pastors at Sunday School.

1 Like

Re: How Tolerant Is God? by Dtruthspeaker: 3:30pm On Oct 25, 2022
uche40:

I have demonstrated the error of your argument to you. A parent can NOT KNOW for a FACT what their child will be doing in the next 27 years at 3:00pm on the 25th of October, 2049

Now you comit the Fallacy of different quality by changing the argument from the knowing that you would punish your children when they do specific facts eg "break your plates and phones, disrespect and disobey you, steal meat from the pot, fail their exams, run away with your car etc" and changing it into "any act, done 27 years later at a specific date and time" WHICH IS NOT THE ISSUE. OFF POINT!

So, again, you have no true thing to say, only Lies and accusations!
Re: How Tolerant Is God? by uche40(f): 3:43pm On Oct 25, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

First, you asked when you accused me of "fallacy".

So pointing out a logical fallacy = asking a question.

Lol. This is the most ridiculous equivocation I've seen this year.

Dtruthspeaker:

Secondly, "false conclusion" means there is True conclusion and True conclusion is not a fallacy.

Lmao.... What?

I guess a Truth is a kind of Lie as well, huh? grin

Dtruthspeaker:

So as I said earlier I have nothing reasonable to say!

Fixed. This assessment seems more likely with respect to this thread.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume the best of you that you are only trolling. The only other option is the that you are an illiterate of gargantuan proportions grin.

Dtruthspeaker:
Fallacy of different quality

Now you're just becoming desperate, making things up. How unbecoming. Please provide citations of this brand new fallacy you just conjured, then follow up with a demonstration of the above fallacy and how it applies to what I said earlier.

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Tolerant Is God? by uche40(f): 3:49pm On Oct 25, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Now you comit the Fallacy of different quality by changing the argument from the knowing that you would punish your children when they do specific facts eg "break your plates and phones, disrespect and disobey you, steal meat from the pot, fail their exams, run away with your car etc" and changing it into "any act, done 27 years later at a specific date and time" WHICH IS NOT THE ISSUE. OFF POINT!

So, again, you have no true thing to say, only Lies and accusations!

You are shamelessly dishonest.

I have quoted this post so you won't run and change it again in my absence. I'll answer you when I'm ready.
Re: How Tolerant Is God? by Dtruthspeaker: 3:56pm On Oct 25, 2022
uche40:

So pointing out a logical fallacy = asking a question.

Making an accusation of the commission of fallacy means that I have a right to address that accusation and set it aright. Everyone knows that.

And this just proves what I said earlier, which is you have no sense of Just is and Law and Judgement. Therefore you think that after you have accused me even falsely, I ought not to defend myself.

I pray that one day a person would accuse you and cause the police to arrest you and they shall send you to prison without trial, so that you can join our overcrowded prisons filled with awaiting trial inmates. And no lawyer or NGO shall find you to give you the just is, everyone has. Oya shout Amen!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Do Xtians Explain That The Book Of Jude Quotes The Apocryphal Book Of Enoch? / UNDERSTANDING RESTITUTION ( Part I ) / If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.