Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:39 PM

How Do People React When You Say You Are Nigerian? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Do People React When You Say You Are Nigerian? (1555 Views)

Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? / Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? / Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do People React When You Say You Are Nigerian? by EEngineer1(m): 12:28pm On Aug 20, 2011
i want to know how foreigners around the world react when you say you are a nigerian

people living abroad should please give us answers on this question and please specify the way people from different countries will react
Re: How Do People React When You Say You Are Nigerian? by SEFAGO(m): 1:20pm On Aug 20, 2011
E-Engineer:

i want to know how foreigners around the world react when you say you are a nigerian

people living abroad should please give us answers on this question and please specify the way people from different countries will react

They bring out their radios and play this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFfO2JCD6ZM
Re: How Do People React When You Say You Are Nigerian? by EEngineer1(m): 2:46pm On Aug 20, 2011
SEFAGO, ur folly has no bounds

i pity you, if you dont have the privilege of knowing the answer just shut ur bottomless trap and let exposed people talk
Re: How Do People React When You Say You Are Nigerian? by SEFAGO(m): 2:57pm On Aug 20, 2011
E-Engineer:

SEFAGO, your folly has no bounds

i pity you, if you dont have the privilege of knowing the answer just shut your bottomless trap and let exposed people talk

You lack a sense of humour grin
Re: How Do People React When You Say You Are Nigerian? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Aug 20, 2011
Big Question But am sorry to say they see us as CRIMINALS
Re: How Do People React When You Say You Are Nigerian? by Nobody: 9:08pm On Aug 20, 2011
I have no idea how people react.
Re: How Do People React When You Say You Are Nigerian? by OneONYX: 12:31pm On Aug 23, 2011
@bandiejay, it's not right for you to generalize people's perception. Although I have heard some references to scam emails sent by Nigerians, I have also heard a lot of good things said by Nigerians. When I was interviewing for my current job, one of the things the interviewer said was that she knows a Nigerian Doctor who lives in her home-town and she loves him very much because of his friendliness and humility. Now, that I have the job, I haven't disappointed either and I'm sure she will continue to have a positive perception about Nigerians.

I also take the bus everyday to work and there's this woman who openly admires the way I dress (not like the stereotypical New York black guy, with sagging jeans etc). One day, we got into a conversation and she said most of the women in the bus always admire my business casual dressing, then she asked if my girl friend tells me this, I told her my girl friend lives in Nigeria and she was like "ohhhhhhhhh that explains why you dress so well, Nigerians are always well educated before they come over here, that's why they get all the top positions meant for other black people". "They are very focused and humble, I know many Nigerian doctors" (she is a nurse). It's true that we have a bad reputation, but the truth is, if people see you in a position that doesn't fit that stereotype, they would only look at the positive.
Re: How Do People React When You Say You Are Nigerian? by imperiouxx(m): 1:43pm On Aug 23, 2011
@OneONYX,

God bless you my bro for that good account of yours. I'm proud of you too.
Re: How Do People React When You Say You Are Nigerian? by claremont(m): 1:44pm On Aug 23, 2011
What matters to me is that my employers treat me with respect just like everybody else. What other people think does not matter!
Re: How Do People React When You Say You Are Nigerian? by omega25red(m): 12:46am On Aug 24, 2011
i stopped paying attention to how they react i know who i am so who cares
Re: How Do People React When You Say You Are Nigerian? by Lax75(m): 12:59am On Aug 24, 2011
^^^^^

Let them think what they want to. What matters is that you know who and what you are.
Re: How Do People React When You Say You Are Nigerian? by ceasyc(f): 3:19am On Aug 24, 2011
"u dont look or sound like a nigerian" = dats what i get most times

na dem sabi but i've never been looked down on cos of that. i no be ghanaian or jamo so i can never say i am from where am not

no matter how good or bad 9ja is, i always say i b 9jan. even when am in 9ja, pple dont bliv d state i say i'm from or my tribe.

na wetin na? hahaha. true story tho
Re: How Do People React When You Say You Are Nigerian? by BABE3: 3:32am On Aug 24, 2011

I always get the "Oh you're from Africa?! That's so cool" replies. I like those kind of replies, however the questions that follow those are becoming my pet peeve(s)!

Below is a typical example of those questions;

Ignorant Fish: Do y'all really have Lions roaming the streets in Nigeria? Do y'all really live in trees?

Me: **I give the person the 'are you seriously asking me these questions look'**** Then I finally say:  Yes we do. 

Ignorant Fish: Oh, That's so neat. That's so cool.

Me: Yh, really cool. 

My inner thoughts: Is this dude for real? Do I live in a tree? **smh** Some of these so called Americans are the most primitive he-goats you'll ever meet. STOP WATCHING NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC channel---you fish!---- 

Ignorant Fish: Do y'all have planes in Nigeria?

Me: Duh!

My inner thoughts: How the hell did I get here if we don't have planes? Do you really think I paddled a canoe to get here? **smh**

Ignorant Fish: Do you speak African?

Me:  No.

My inner thoughts: AFRICA IS NOT A COUNTRY YOU FOOL. Even if it is---your question doesn't even make sense.
Re: How Do People React When You Say You Are Nigerian? by Nobody: 3:35am On Aug 24, 2011
I'm only going to post the intelligent replies;

"nice, isnt that in West africa?"

Most times, I dont even need introduction, my campus has to be 20% Nigerian because it's 20% Jews too. Everybody has a Nigerian friend or has met a Nigerian. Even me myself, I meet Nigerians every other week.
Re: How Do People React When You Say You Are Nigerian? by Nobody: 3:37am On Aug 24, 2011
I love meeting new Nigerians, they're cool ppl, but after the 3rd meeting, I prefer to part ways. I love meeting Ghanaians more tho. They just have this reliable air around them.
Re: How Do People React When You Say You Are Nigerian? by imperiouxx(m): 6:38am On Aug 24, 2011
@BABE!,

Over the internet, an american friend of mine once asked about how Lagos/Nigeria looks like. All I did was to give her a link www.wikipedia.com/lagos and that of Abuja & Nigeria and told her this is not all the good and there are ugly scenes too. She was thrilled and asked me to get some locations with my phone for her whenever I go out.

Most of these people outside africa (not the asians ooo) only hear africa as refugee camp/jungle because most have watched Micheal Jackson - We're the World or Survivor - Africa (season 3) . So, I no blame dem. They don't know which one is which.
Re: How Do People React When You Say You Are Nigerian? by tpia5: 6:42am On Aug 24, 2011
dont really pay attention to such things and besides am i supposed to carry a gong announcing i'm nigerian.

but most africans arent too happy to hear such.

and yes, everybody has a nigerian friend, in law or close associate so it gets redundant, really.
Re: How Do People React When You Say You Are Nigerian? by BABE3: 7:41am On Aug 24, 2011
imperiouxx:

@BABE!,

Over the internet, an american friend of mine once asked about how Lagos/Nigeria looks like. All I did was to give her a link www.wikipedia.com/lagos and that of Abuja & Nigeria and told her this is not all the good and there are ugly scenes too. She was thrilled and asked me to get some locations with my phone for her whenever I go out.

Most of these people outside africa (not the asians ooo) only hear africa as refugee camp/jungle because most have watched Micheal Jackson - Heal the World or Survivor - Africa (season 3) . So, I no blame dem. They don't know which one is which.

lol-- Those folks are clueless fam. They are extremely close minded. They don't want to know what's going on outside their little caves. How dare you ask me if I live in a tree-- in yr 2011 for that matter? It's just a sad situation.

(1) (Reply)

Terrible Powerbike Accident At Lagos / Hustle In Poland - Nairalanders In Poland Pls Advice / *Help Stop English Proficiency Exams For Africans From Commonwealth Countries*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.