Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,858 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:19 AM

What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" (28813 Views)

What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question / Isn't This The Best Answer On Why You’re Leaving Your Current Workplace? / 21 Most Common Job Interview Questions And How To Best Answer Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Nobody: 7:34pm On Oct 28, 2022
I have an interview with a hotel tomorrow. And on several occasions, I've been asked how much do you want us to be paying you?" but I couldn't say something reasonable.

Sometimes I'd say my former workplace paid 30k/35k or just quote some random figure, but I don't know if I'm doing it right. Though they first of all, do ask how much my transport fare is - which is #500.

Another thing, I heard hotel work is one day in, one day out (15 days total) I confirmed it in the last interview I went (but rejected the job cos the pay was low (20k). How true?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by God1000(m): 7:35pm On Oct 28, 2022
Substantial amount considering the current high cost of living.

You can mention the amount of money you want them to pay you, but look the hotel very well whether they can pay you such amount.

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by zrealjaheal: 7:39pm On Oct 28, 2022
Chenult:
I have an interview with a hotel tomorrow. And on several occasions, I've been asked how much do you want us to be paying you?" but I couldn't say something reasonable.

Sometimes I'd say my former workplace paid 30k/35k or just quote some random figure, but I don't know if I'm doing it right. Though they first of all, do ask how much my transport fare is - which is #500.

Another thing, I heard hotel work is one day in, one day out (15 days total) I confirmed it in the last interview I went (but rejected the job cos the pay was low (20k). How true?

@bolded
Why on earth must you tell them how much your former workplace pays you?

Even if you must tell them. You must still to one firgure.. which one is 30k/35

If you are been paid 35k at your former workplace, add 10k to that money tell y hem they you 45k or even 50k

hunger can make one dizzy
starved

98 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by manuelkel(m): 7:39pm On Oct 28, 2022
wink
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Nobody: 7:50pm On Oct 28, 2022
zrealjaheal:

@bolded

If you are been paid 35k at your former workplace, add 10k to that money tell y hem they you 45k or even 50k

No. I mean some interview, I say 30k while the other I may say 35k. I don't quote the both.

Ok. I will try to say 40k next time, even though I haven't work in hotel before. Thanks.

15 Likes

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Nobody: 7:50pm On Oct 28, 2022
manuelkel:
wink

Say something

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by manuelkel(m): 8:12pm On Oct 28, 2022
Chenult:

Say something

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by MMempire(m): 10:16pm On Oct 28, 2022
zrealjaheal:

@bolded

Sapa don reorientate him brain.

4 Likes

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by ScamHunter: 10:28pm On Oct 28, 2022
What you should say depends on what skills you are bringing to the company. If you do not have experience, I suggest that you rephrase the question by asking them what they pay people like you. If the answer is below your expectation, tell them that it's too low for you.

You can also go to the hotel before the day of the interview and talk with some of the staff to understand what they pay people doing your exact job. That would give you an idea of the amount to quote.

Now here's the assignment you should do before going for an interview, sit down and calculate your living expenses in a month.
Transportation
Feeding
House rent
Other basic expenses

This should be the minimum answer to give to the question if they insist that you name a figure.

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Nobody: 11:33pm On Oct 28, 2022
Tell them first that you believe the company has a standard of payment they use for their staff. That they should let you know what the take home for the post you're applying for is, so you'll know if its something you can accept.

If they insist that you should tell them what you can accept, then tell them 300k for starters.

What post are you applying for by the way?

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by OKON125(m): 12:46am On Oct 29, 2022
I was asked this kinda of question before...cos it's was a small firm i said 600k ...they laughed out loud then.. they rest is history

13 Likes

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by 9japride(m): 2:26am On Oct 29, 2022
Normally, it's good to have an idea on how much a company you are about to be interviewed is paying their worker especially in the field you are applying for. You can still inquire from other companies to know how much they pay too. Some HR can be mischievous and if one is not careful you might end up being paid peanuts. Which can affect one's morale while working if eventually one get the job.

4 Likes

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by yusufmurry: 4:51am On Oct 29, 2022
zrealjaheal:

@bolded

Some companies verifies that. So be truthful. Rather you can give range as an expectation

2 Likes

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by emerged01(m): 7:04am On Oct 29, 2022
You guys should go and learn skill. All these low paying job na waste of time.

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Nobody: 7:19am On Oct 29, 2022
ScamHunter:
What you should say depends on what skulls you are bringing to the company. If you do not have experience, I suggest that you rephrase the question by asking them what they pay people like you. If the answer is below your expectation, tell them that it's too low for you.

I stay with my mum. Only transportation and maybe feeding.

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Nobody: 7:20am On Oct 29, 2022
Blessedmercy8:
Tell them first that you believe the company has a standard of payment they use for their staff. That they should let you know what the take home for the post you're applying for is, so you'll know if its something you can accept.

If they insist that you should tell them what you can accept, then tell them 300k for starters.

What post are you applying for by the way?

It is hotel work. I'm applying for Barman or security.

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Nobody: 7:22am On Oct 29, 2022
yusufmurry:

Some companies verifies that. So be truthful. Rather you can give range as an expectation

But they do insist on a figure.
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Nobody: 7:36am On Oct 29, 2022
Chenult:

It is hotel work. I'm applying for Barman or security.

Oh... ok. I wouldn't know if it's a 5 star hotel though cos that's another thing to consider. If it is, you can tell them 200k but if it's not, tell them 150k. They can end up bringing it down to 150 or 100 at the most.

Also don't forget to pray about it that God should Season your word with grace that its whatever you tell them they'll pay and God will honor your words.

18 Likes

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Nobody: 8:14am On Oct 29, 2022
Blessedmercy8:

Oh... ok. I wouldn't know if it's a 5 star hotel though cos that's another thing to consider. If it is, you can tell them 200k but if it's not, tell them 150k. They can end up bringing it down to 150 or 100 at the most.

Also don't forget to pray about it that God should Season your word with grace that its whatever you tell them they'll pay and God will honor your words.

More like 4 star hotel. 150k for security?

3 Likes

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Nobody: 8:19am On Oct 29, 2022
Chenult:

More like 4 star hotel. 150k for security?

Is it too poor?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by HenryTimes: 8:45am On Oct 29, 2022
There's no best answer to that question, as a matter of fact, that question is as useless as T in tsetse fly.

Tell them that you are there for employment not for a contract and as such, they should tell you what they pay to those at your category.

5 Likes

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by ScamHunter: 10:00am On Oct 29, 2022
Chenult:

I stay with my mum. Only transportation and maybe feeding.

That's a wrong concept. You should be contributing in your upkeep as someone who is working. Make calculations as if you're the one paying the rent and general upkeep or you'll end up underpricing yourself.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Smile4me01(m): 10:28am On Oct 29, 2022
Such question need specific answer in business law if you said pay me any reasonable amount means nothing so pay me 700k and you tell me what is in your mind
Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Nehyooh(m): 10:36am On Oct 29, 2022
Let's your specification be in ranges; For instance:- I'll like my salary to be between 40-50k

5 Likes

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by YourHerbalOrgan(f): 11:40am On Oct 29, 2022
Hotel job no fit pass 30-40

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Dshocker(m): 11:41am On Oct 29, 2022
I am not greedy, just pay me the same amount the manager earns...

6 Likes

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Starboytwo(m): 11:41am On Oct 29, 2022
As much as you can pay sir/ma

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by Ololademrmoney2(m): 11:41am On Oct 29, 2022
Be specific about your price range.

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by WibusJaga: 11:41am On Oct 29, 2022

For a big company with salary structure: "I'll be OK with the salary structure here"
For a small company where there is no structure, you should be conversant with prevailing range of salaries in the industry, So mention within or slightly higher than that range.

But if you are a novice... grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by TheFacelessMan: 11:41am On Oct 29, 2022
grin

"50% of company's profits."

On a serious note, research the industry average if you can't get specifics for that organisation.

Worst case scenario, make sure you ask for something reasonably higher than your former salary. At least 30% more - with room for negotiations. Don't collect less than previous salary...you will definitely be miserable.

8 Likes

Re: What's The Best Answer To “How Much Do You Want Us To Be Paying You?" by dyera(m): 11:43am On Oct 29, 2022
Simply tell them the amount you expect to be paid. As a sales manager you expect to be paid this amount monthly. Just be modest.

Starboytwo:
As much as you can pay sir/ma

Companies Nigeria don't pay their workers the amount they can afford to pay them.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Copy Of My Suicide Letter If I Dont Get A Job Soon. / UBA Is Accepting CV / 2017 INEC Recruitment & Vacancies (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.