Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,710 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:05 AM

Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? (69725 Views)

Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement / How Safe Is Traveling By Road At Night From Lagos To Abuja / Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (43) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by sonnie10: 9:03pm On Nov 04, 2022
Treadway:
ok o. Me, I don't eat indomie/golden penny...these our instant noodles sha. Too many chemicals. I hate it and don't believe it is a healthy food (tho I can't prove this) BUT my padi's wey dey avoid am na cost dem talk say be their reason not health. Also, I have read many posts from people here, either they are advising others or the people themselves are talking about how they have decided to reduce/replace Nigerian foods, and it is always for cost reasons. If you look around, you are sure to see these posts. It's all good sha.
Food cost as an excuse is not true. Nigerian staple foods are still cheap. See the rice I bought yesterday for $8.99 A single person can eat this like 20 times ( average $0.45 per meal). and that bag is less than one hour pay rate for minimum wage.
Second picture is receipt for the rice as at yesterday @ $8.99 (6kg)
That garri is about $13
The nodules is $7 for 24piece
Beans is $12
Total of everything there is about half of daily pay of minimum wage worker. That food would last more than a month for a single individual.

11 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by ibechris(m): 9:22pm On Nov 04, 2022
Munamoqel:
HiThis a banker dairy .Now washing dead bodies . You call it progress !Hi diary,
I have become lazy to type. Little update about what's happening

For the first time in my life, I touched a dead person. I don't even know how I feel but I think I was a bit scared.

I am currently on a night shift in a hospice, that's end of life people. Had checked up on this man around 1 and he was still breathing and 30 minutes later he was gone.

He needed to be washed, dressed and made presentable. He was warm and felt like he was still sleeping. Just that this time, it looked like a deep sleep. The nurse asked if I was alright doing it. I sha tried by best to hide any of my feelings. Omoh! Things I have seen and experienced in this UK journey.

I just wish I can stop this care assistant job permanently but it seems I will still be stuck

How do u eat?
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Primusinterpares(m): 12:24pm On Nov 05, 2022
pansophist:
Nigeria is a country of both extremes. If you are an old money, new money, or cruise at the toppest of the elite class, naija can be heaven. You will enjoy high social status, and can afford your security aides, bribe your way out of anything, in a culture you are bred in.

But if you are poor in Nigeria, or even middle class, then it is only a matter of time before the sea of societal problems drowns you, and for this people, it is understandable if they decide to leave. But in any case, just do you. If you have to leave, feel free to do that. The world is your home.
Words on marble
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Primusinterpares(m): 1:20pm On Nov 05, 2022
Breaking news:!!!!!!!!
My Boss @ the office just resigned to go abroad.
This came as am still asking questions as to if it's worth japaring.
My boss earns well, official car, and lots of benefits attached to his office yet baba still left these for Canada.
What are these people not telling us?

Someone should tell me something I don't know.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 1:39pm On Nov 05, 2022
Primusinterpares:
My boss earns well, official car, and lots of benefits attached to his office yet baba still left these for Canada.

he looking at the bigger picture ! Long term prospect and prosperity of his family .

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Amosaloud(m): 3:53pm On Nov 05, 2022
sonnie10:

Don’t make it sound like you were talking about new loan. The point you made was that an existing mortgage amount would increase from 1500 to 1900 due to the recent increase. And I am telling you that, existing mortgage does not change with interest rate. It would only affect those taking new mortgage or refinancing.

It would affect you immediately if you are on a tracker/variable rate mortgage
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by sonnie10: 3:57pm On Nov 05, 2022
Amosaloud:

It would affect you immediately if you are on a tracker/variable rate mortgage
Yes, I made that point in the previous response. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Father4all: 5:17pm On Nov 05, 2022
Primusinterpares:
So lately I have seen friends, families, colleagues at work, church members relocating abroad.
These people are "doing well" here in Nigeria.
Many of them resign from their high paying jobs, sells their properties and put up to like 25 - 40 million naira to relocate a family of say 5.
Is it really worth it?
Can't we make a good living here in Nigeria especially people with a good job here?
I need clarifications from those that have gone to enlighten me.
how many people can afford 25-40 million in this present Nigeria. Let be sincere to ourselves
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Akharmony: 5:18pm On Nov 05, 2022
I think one thing i like about abroad and i have leant so far is that citizen in that country mind there business. .

4 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Stylz69(m): 5:18pm On Nov 05, 2022
Simple answer …. Under the right circumstances.

If you have a job waiting; say under a Highly Skilled Migrant Visa … then good move.

You see these ones going under student visas and moving their entire families. Not a very wise move.

4 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by BABANGBALI: 5:19pm On Nov 05, 2022
FASHOLA123:
Google is your friend why don't you ask it?
no mind am. Na jealousy dey worry am. Ordinary international passport him no get

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by lastchild: 5:20pm On Nov 05, 2022
The truth is this, whoever that travels abroad usually get disappointed over one thing,i lived 10 months in Madrid, Spain.

life was boring over there, even if I would make all the money in the world, i couldn't imagining spending the rest of my life over there.

5 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by BABANGBALI: 5:20pm On Nov 05, 2022
Stylz69:
Simple answer …. Under the right circumstances.

If you have a job waiting; say under a Highly Skilled Migrant Visa … then good move.

You see these ones going under student visas and moving their entire families. Not a very wise move.
says who?
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by BigBashiru: 5:21pm On Nov 05, 2022
Primusinterpares:
So lately I have seen friends, families, colleagues at work, church members relocating abroad.
Many of them resign from their high paying jobs, sells their properties and put up to like 25 - 40 million naira to relocate a family of say 5.
Is it really worth it?
Can't we make a good living here in Nigeria especially people with a good job here?

those going abroad are making a mistake....

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Starz825(m): 5:22pm On Nov 05, 2022
frozen70:

Is alright

Imagine, you traveled out send 15 million Dollars for building an estate, put it on rent and enjoy the inflow of money
15m dollars...
Na so e easy
You no even say naira....

2 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Nov 05, 2022
Creamcrest:

Sharrap, Nigeria is not nearing collapse,it's still one of the best countries on earth.

Nigerians in Canada and America are even complaining of not being able to build wealth.

Shootings and gun violence also happens in America and Canada.

Some Nigerians here have 24hrs power using inverters and solar.

Most Nigerians can easily build their houses while you niggas in canada and US will be paying for mortgages for several years.

What a delusional comment. Most Nigerians can easily build houses? How much is minimum wage again. With widespread hunger in the land.

6 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by PoliteActivist: 5:24pm On Nov 05, 2022
Helpout12345:
. A Cat in Nigeria cannot become a Lion overseas, and a Lion in Nigeria will not become a Cat either overseas.

I like this.
That's what people don't understand.
If you are the type who can't manage your resources in Nigeria, japa won't magically change you!
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Naturalista(f): 5:24pm On Nov 05, 2022
Munamoqel:
Nigeria is a very strange Nation .this year I made around 7m from been insurance agent . It started from a oil and gas firm that wanted to do GIT insurance and the owner contacted me ! I contacted some insurance firm I was familiar with and they agree to take underwrite the policy .I jokely ask if they are paying me commission .they said yes . a large insurance firm agree 15 percent .second 10 .na so e happy . 2 week later several oil and gas logistics firm contacted me via referrals from the first . Baam I have done 13 firm counting . It yearly and renewable and my commission will paid yearly too . This is Nigeria a land of migical opportunities . This just a side unplanned business . Don't let any body tell you it nearing collapse . Those Indians and Chinese will not be here .

Please connect me,I'm also an insurance agent.Abeg
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by BABANGBALI: 5:24pm On Nov 05, 2022
Primusinterpares:

insecurity is the major problem. All those things your boss was enjoying are nothing if he or any of his family member is kidnapped. People are leaving the country because of bad governance and insecurity in Nigeria

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Nov 05, 2022
Bksense:

How is Nigeria nearing it's ruin to be honest? Gun violence and kidnapping happen in USA everyday. But you won't talk about that due to White worshipping..but you people wish bad things happen to Nigeria and her people everyday so you'll be able to justify your Japa and tell them "we warned you". Why can't you people Just accept the fact that not everyone want to come And live a lonely and boring life abroad Just because of 24hrs light which you pay for with your nose anyways , and McDonald Job of $1500 per month. The money you earn over there doesn't even find you that boost until you convert it to naira in your head just to validate yourself and say ",I'm earning more than a professor in Nigeria". This is a trend I see Among you people.

And you can call me broke because I live in Nigeria. Since you can't even know whether I'm more satisfied and contented with my life or not

Thanks
Wise guy
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by redsun(m): 5:25pm On Nov 05, 2022
Not with kingpins like Tinubu wanting to rule your affairs. A country can never advance if retarded criminals are in power. That is why you need humble, responsible, accountable, and sensible leaders like Obi to run the country in order to build and keep the human resources that will propel the country ahead.The key to sustainability is common sense and adapatation. and you must adapt sensibly to survive.

3 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by BigBashiru: 5:26pm On Nov 05, 2022
ayandee:

That's life. One can't have it all. Yes, the cold can be very brutal and you have to dress yourself and the kids in layers. But I will rather pick the cold. It's bearable.
Insecurity, economic instability, weak institutions, poor system of education, epileptic power supply and a very weak passport are very unbearable. It takes extra strength to live in Nigeria. An elderly friend once said "Alagbara lo n gbe ni Nigeria ".

Ah - so you are in Canada? That nonsense country we all know is crap yet keep convincing ourselves is great lol - Canada is an asocial and depressing cesspit where everyone just works to pay bills lol.

There is actually a lot of insecurity in Canada - recently there have been some mass shootings, druggies fill downtowns, etc. Canada is more economically unstable than Nigeria because house prices are too expensive but in Nigeria you can own a house without mortgage fairly quickly - also you will never have significant savings in Canada since the system chops everything.... I agree with you on the weak institutions - Nigerians are shamelessly lazy and with poor work ethic. Nigeria system of education is better - kids are not taught feminism and transgender etc - most estates now provide their own power supply. Nigerian passport is not weak....

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by adonainana: 5:28pm On Nov 05, 2022
Confidence

People have lost confidence in the Nigerian economy reason they are leaving.

Funny enough people have always left Nigeria for greener pastures since 1980, in the 90's etc. Its just that social media has made it more of a trending update.

The only advice I can give is not to sell properties worth millions of naira and Japa, cos you would never ever ever see that type of fixed asset again in your life. No matter where you go, it would be too difficult to raise that type of wealth again.

Every other type of Japa is good so far you still leave big properties which is wealth you can return to in 10 or 20 years time.

No country is easy, but people are surely japaing cos they have had enough and want to hustle another way.

Also to those who have recently japad, Save your money ooooo, and make you years count.

Countries like the UK are extremely funny countries, cos they are designed to make you work pay bills, die and your children you japad for 30 years ago would just continuing paying monthly bills and wont make a difference.

Even when you end up having a mortgage in the UK, its a 30 years commitment, and even when you finish paying it, you would be 30 years old, and im sure you would have no choice but to let your kids live in it and wont necessarily be yours. So back to square 1 for the person who Japad 30 years ago.

But whichever way the coin flips, everyone needs to just keep hustling for better days

When dollar was 1 naira to 1 dollar people left nigeria , when its now almost 1000 people are leaving when it is 2000 people would still leave.

But just be careful how you are leaving and where you leave to and what exactly you end up doing when you get to where you are going,

The rat race in developed countries is not a joke, its a generational trap sometimes

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Franking: 5:30pm On Nov 05, 2022
Living in Nigeria shouldn't be an option if u can afford to japa. Bad road, insecurity, lack of electricity, etc do not know who is who.

Na money hold me I for don japa too.

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Nonexisting1: 5:30pm On Nov 05, 2022
I have good life here but if and when I have children, I'm relocating them broad. The risk associated with living in this country is high now.
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Tunagee(m): 5:30pm On Nov 05, 2022
Bksense:

How is Nigeria nearing it's ruin to be honest? Gun violence and kidnapping happen in USA everyday. But you won't talk about that due to White worshipping..but you people wish bad things happen to Nigeria and her people everyday so you'll be able to justify your Japa and tell them "we warned you". Why can't you people Just accept the fact that not everyone want to come And live a lonely and boring life abroad Just because of 24hrs light which you pay for with your nose anyways , and McDonald Job of $1500 per month. The money you earn over there doesn't even find you that boost until you convert it to naira in your head just to validate yourself and say ",I'm earning more than a professor in Nigeria". This is a trend I see Among you people.

And you can call me broke because I live in Nigeria. Since you can't even know whether I'm more satisfied and contented with my life or not

Thanks

Nice one
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Charx122: 5:31pm On Nov 05, 2022
Primusinterpares:
Is it really worth it?

If staying in Nigeria is worth it for you my friend gladly stay .. There are people out there that want to explore the world both rich and poor, even your President dey Japa once in a while Omo I salute you.
The Nigerian pledge was written for you.
One last thing you have been in the dark for so long don't be scared of the light.
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by pinkasso: 5:31pm On Nov 05, 2022
If you gat skills you have no business in a place like naija....
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Tunagee(m): 5:33pm On Nov 05, 2022
Munamoqel:
also add the number of gun deaths in America within the months ?all die na die .but as slave worshipping negros they prefer to die in Mass shooting in America than been kidnapped in Nigeria . They phsycologically feel the mass shooting death is more prestigious!

No mind dem, mumus
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by grandstar(m): 5:36pm On Nov 05, 2022
Primusinterpares

My prime worry now is that the world is entering into a period of recession or at least the West. A recession means job losses. Where will they find work? What are their job prospects?

The recession was expected as Western nations tried to fight inflation which had risen to its highest level in about 40 years. To do that, they have had to tighten monetary policies by raising interest rates. Raising interest rates compel people to save rather than spend reducing money in circulation.

In addition, higher rates discourages borrowing and forces borrowers to pay more in servicing debt.

For fiscal policies, the huge spending and high budget deficits their economies had carried in order to boost their economies would be heavily reduced further leading to a further slow down in economic activities.

Now, the scenario has been greatly compounded by Russia weaponizing gas supply to Europe. This has led to panic in Europe as they need energy to sustain their economies. Without energy, they are doomed. Already, Germany lost a $1bn chemical plant investment. The firm preferred to invest the money in China.

The entire picture is bad

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by joyandfaith: 5:37pm On Nov 05, 2022
Primusinterpares:
Is it really worth it?

Good health, better security, quality education and future for your children. People who are relocating are not stupid.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (43) (Reply)

South African Cities More Beautiful Than Nigerian City / Young Lady Spotted Lying Down On The Road In Lagos. Do You Know Her? / Drone Shots Of Aba Commercial City In Southeast Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.