Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,174 members, 7,780,201 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:49 AM

Nnpc Faults Kwara's Claim On Oil Discovey - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nnpc Faults Kwara's Claim On Oil Discovey (685 Views)

Arewa Youths Back PDP Claim On Buhari’s Health- Leadership / APC Counters Edwin Clark's Claim On Alleged Plot To Kill Jonathan / BREAKING NEWS: Jonathan Debunks Azazi's Claim On Bombings. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nnpc Faults Kwara's Claim On Oil Discovey by Sunofgod(m): 2:45pm On Aug 21, 2011
The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation has picked holes in the claim by the Kwara State Government that crude oil has been discovered in one of the villages in the state.

The corporation said it was funny for the state government to have come out publicly to make such pronouncement when the Department of Petroleum Resources that should verify such a claim was yet to be contacted.

Speaking with our correspondent on the telephone on Friday, a source at the Public Affairs unit of the corporation said it was not the duty of government officials or individuals to make pronouncements on oil discovery when no sample had been analysed.

The source said, “Even if oil was actually discovered there it is not their duty to go public with such information. It is the DPR that should be contacted and then experts will be sent there to analyse the soil sample.”

Last week, the Kwara State Government announced that crude oil had been discovered in Aran Orin town in Irepodun Local Government Area of the state by a farmer.

In a statement issued by the Senior Special Assistant on Media and Communications, Dr. Muyideen Akorede, the state Governor, Mr. Abdulfatah Ahmed, said the farmer discovered crude oil on his farm and seven other adjoining sites and subsequently alerted the state government.

He said geologists from the State Ministry of Industry and Solid Minerals were directed to confirm whether the substance was indeed crude oil, and if so identify the blend, which they later confirmed to be Bonny Light, the highly sought after blend by refiners.

As at Thursday, the state government had commenced the process of ascertaining the quantity of the deposit even when experts from DPR were yet to confirm the substance to be crude oil.

The state Commissioner for Information and Communications, Tunji Moronfoye, said on Thursday that the government had contacted the DPR of the Ministry of Petroleum Resources to carry out the processes to determine if the discovery was of commercial quantity.

The commissioner also said two wells would be drilled for exploration and appraisal of the substance to determine its commercial nature, adding that the government would be awaiting the response of the DPR.

The source, who expressed fears over the possible tampering of some oil pipelines, said it was very unlikely that oil would be discovered in a place where no oil company had been carrying out any exploration.

He said, “Another funny aspect of the story is that they named the oil Bonny Light. Bonny Light was given that name because of where the oil comes from. So why didn’t they name it after Kwara or after the village where it was said to have been discovered? I just hope they have not tampered with our pipelines

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201108211244212
Re: Nnpc Faults Kwara's Claim On Oil Discovey by Sunofgod(m): 2:58pm On Aug 21, 2011
Kwara Light - I've already started marketing it to China.

The have placed an order with me for 40 million barrels. cheesy

NNPC - Dont mess up my runnings - cool
Re: Nnpc Faults Kwara's Claim On Oil Discovey by Afam4eva(m): 3:09pm On Aug 21, 2011
To think that I was considering relocating to Ilorin.
Re: Nnpc Faults Kwara's Claim On Oil Discovey by oderemo(m): 3:35pm On Aug 21, 2011
kwara light grin grin grin
up lawal grin grin
Re: Nnpc Faults Kwara's Claim On Oil Discovey by mbatuku1: 5:50pm On Aug 21, 2011
No, it's Bonny Light with Kwaran connection. grin

This bush people dont fail to amuse me.
Re: Nnpc Faults Kwara's Claim On Oil Discovey by wesley80(m): 6:11pm On Aug 21, 2011
I honestly do not know which i find more ridiculous, the initial claim of oil find by the state's govt or this supposed response, these guys seem to be acting like determined clowns in a circus. How on earth can you be 'HOPING' your crude carrying pipelines have not been tampered with? What manner of dumbos do we have in positions of authority? SMH
Re: Nnpc Faults Kwara's Claim On Oil Discovey by okadaman2: 6:18pm On Aug 21, 2011
^^

I couldn't have said it better, imagine an NNPC idiooota saying a state governor has no right to make a public pronouncement about a possible mineral resource in his state because DPR has not vetted it.

Is this a democratic federation or a dictatorship?
Re: Nnpc Faults Kwara's Claim On Oil Discovey by edoyad(m): 7:35pm On Aug 21, 2011
i don't understand this country sometimes. This is about a week after the announcement but the NNPC are yet to know if a pipeline was damaged or not.
Re: Nnpc Faults Kwara's Claim On Oil Discovey by EkoIle1: 9:14pm On Aug 21, 2011
Shouldn't these useless people get to work and do their job instead of trading words and doing bigmanism?

(1) (Reply)

Federal Government To Cut Wages And Remove Subsidy In Petroleum Products / Action Congress Of Nigeria (acn) Has No Structure. Smdh / Did Gej Benefit From Gaddafi during His Election campaign?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.