Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,361 members, 7,808,252 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:26 AM

Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football (27595 Views)

Odemwingie announces retirement from football / Gerard Pique Goes To Training With His N4M Electric Bike B'cos Of Driving Ban / Carl Ikeme Announces His Retirement From Football (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by Fanofthegame: 7:20pm On Nov 03, 2022
Barcelona defender Gerard Pique has announced his retirement from football and will play his final game on Saturday against Almeria at the Camp Nou.

The 35-year-old defender announced his retirement in a video shared on his Twitter page with the caption "Culers, I have to tell you something."

He added: "Culers, it's Gerard. The last few weeks and months, many people have been talking about me.

"Until now, I haven't said anything, but now I want to be the one talking about me.

"Like many of you, I've always been a Barcelona fan and I was born into a footballing family.

"From a very young age, I didn't want to become a footballer. I wanted to become a Barcelona footballer.

"I've been thinking a lot about that kid lately, about what the little Gerard would have thought if he had been told that all of his dreams would come true.

"That he would make it to the Barcelona first team and win every trophy possible.

"That he would become a European and world champion and play with the best in the world.

"That he would be one of the team's captains and make friends for life.

"It's been 25 years since I joined Barcelona. I left and then came back.

"Football has given me everything. Barcelona have given me everything.

"You, culers, have given me everything.

"And now that all that kid's dreams have come true, I want to tell you that I've decided that now is the time to bring this journey to its end.

"I've always said that there would be no other team after Barcelona and that's how it will be."

"This Saturday's game will be my last at the Camp Nou.

"I will become another fan and support the team and pass my love for Barcelona onto my kids, like parents did for me.

"You know me, and sooner or later I'll be back.

"See you soon Camp Nou and always long live Barcelona."

The Catalan-born center-back started his career in Manchester United before moving to Barcelona in 2008.

At Barcelona, Pique made over 600 appearances, winning 31 trophies, which included four Champions Leagues and eight La Liga titles.

SOURCE

72 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by princeemmma(m): 7:21pm On Nov 03, 2022
He should have done that before now, not when he feels everything is going against him

Retire nicely and honourable is better

67 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by dawnomike(m): 7:58pm On Nov 03, 2022
It is long overdue... he has really been very very lucky in his career as a footballer

92 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by JoeRizzla(m): 8:12pm On Nov 03, 2022
That's Good.

A Barca legend,

also thanks to man United for pulling him to the stardom

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by saferoom: 8:38pm On Nov 03, 2022
Ok
Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by Fut9ure: 8:38pm On Nov 03, 2022
Shakira

All these people nor too good that time...them be average players

Na because of Barcelona strong attacking midfield of which lionel messi played a part and not only that thier attacking front was superb
Lionel Messi played a very vital role during those periods playing as both attacking midfield and goal scorer..
Busquet that year be like sickler...him own na to dey fall make referee dey award free kick and penalty

But wait o where Pedro come dey?

This life ehnnn
everything come and go

102 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by SouthSouth1914: 8:39pm On Nov 03, 2022
"I've always said that there would be no other team after Barcelona and that's how it will be."

Even Barcelona will laugh at this statement!

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by Kamaxi09(m): 8:39pm On Nov 03, 2022
Expected!

2 Likes

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:39pm On Nov 03, 2022
Well done. What a brilliant career. From that young kid with bushy hair that joined Manchester United. To the Legend of defense in football.

Praying for a great life after playing football.

81 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by Yankiss(m): 8:39pm On Nov 03, 2022
Congratulations, the Football General. Bowing out when the ovation is loudest is the best decision. Not Penaldo and Rossi still slugging out for elusive balloon d'or after they have broken all records. What can they do now to turn heads?? Why not leave the stage for lesser mortals to rise up??

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by mekusmanuel(f): 8:39pm On Nov 03, 2022
Old newspaper. I knew he's retired before now

2 Likes

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by Afokesco(m): 8:40pm On Nov 03, 2022
the guy say Shakira senior am grin

5 Likes

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by NwaNimo1(m): 8:40pm On Nov 03, 2022

8 Likes

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by Drsnives(m): 8:41pm On Nov 03, 2022
Simp Mumu man weh go marry im mama mate.. Shakira show am shege

1 Like

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by omoredia: 8:41pm On Nov 03, 2022
Legend

4 Likes

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by MorataFC: 8:41pm On Nov 03, 2022
Long over due
Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by abobote: 8:42pm On Nov 03, 2022
Nice one, he has seen it all.
Came, saw , conquared

Ronaldo still want to score more goals before retiring, even when the goals have refused to come

5 Likes

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by Jokerman(m): 8:42pm On Nov 03, 2022
Wow.... Great Career.... Although GOATnaldo showed you shege.... but you earned your onions

6 Likes

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by Holluwhakemmy(f): 8:42pm On Nov 03, 2022
You have done well

4 Likes

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by miqos02(m): 8:43pm On Nov 03, 2022
liked him during his manchester united days

need SSD ?

both internal and external

chat me up

1 Like

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by just2endowed: 8:43pm On Nov 03, 2022
Fut9ure:
Shakira

Wetin bring Shakira matter to this now

15 Likes

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by Nobody: 8:43pm On Nov 03, 2022
This life!
Some people run around kicking balls to be Multimillionaire

21 Likes

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by tarantino1: 8:43pm On Nov 03, 2022
His performance in the Inter game was very comical. It's a good thing he decided to hang up his boots.

5 Likes

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by ipobarecriminals: 8:44pm On Nov 03, 2022
cool
Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by Godada(m): 8:44pm On Nov 03, 2022

Seriously I am bemused by comments above trying to taint the decorated career of Pique. Love him or hate him, he has played and dined with football's finest.

Nothing is gonna change his Legacy.
A world cup winner, Messi nor CR7 may never smell this trophy. European winner, serial Liga and champions league winner.

The sad fact remains that people are just bitter and would want to project their sad reality on everything they touch

Adios, Pique. Even Shakira's family love you as their son so who can call you otherwise.

Enjoy your life man, lotta people can't lace your shoes, but will crucify you for being human..... there's a lot of time to be dead.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by Jokerman(m): 8:44pm On Nov 03, 2022
Pessi should be the next to retire like he normally does with Argentina until Commebol favoured him, but his delusional fans think he can break Ronaldo scoring record forgetting Mbappd is there as a clog in the wheel.... grin grin grin

Pessi should retire

6 Likes

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by ufotunang: 8:47pm On Nov 03, 2022
Smart guy...he does not want to play in the Europa league

5 Likes

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by money121(m): 8:47pm On Nov 03, 2022
Ok
Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by Lanre4uonly(m): 8:48pm On Nov 03, 2022
You tried.
Happy retirement, Pique.

2 Likes

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by Nobody: 8:48pm On Nov 03, 2022
angryBarca we go miss this man Ooh!

2 Likes

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by Bfly: 8:48pm On Nov 03, 2022
Success

Let above 35 retire

2 Likes

Re: Gerard Pique Announces Retirement From Football by RZArecta(m): 8:49pm On Nov 03, 2022
Who cares undecided shīt club

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

AFCON 2021: Super Eagles Qualify For Knockout Stages (Photos) / Iheanacho: Leicester City FC Congratulate Senior Man 'kels' / Oguchi Onyewu Celebrates His 38th Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.