Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,634 members, 7,801,828 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:58 AM

Aside, Media Query In Css How Do I Create A Responsive Website? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Aside, Media Query In Css How Do I Create A Responsive Website? (459 Views)

Need Help With My Class Selector Not Working In Css / CSS Gurus: My Media Query Is Behaving Like An Imbe! / Fixed Sidebar Menu HTML CSS - How To (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aside, Media Query In Css How Do I Create A Responsive Website? by Animegirl(f): 11:54am On Nov 10, 2022
I find it difficult when creating a responsive website using css media queries.

Is there another way I can create a responsive website without using media query?
Re: Aside, Media Query In Css How Do I Create A Responsive Website? by davien(m): 12:08pm On Nov 10, 2022
That's why you build mobile first.

Flex has been my go-to for responsiveness for things like cards, navigation and other elements on the page using properties like flex-wrap: wrap; and putting min-widths to elements.

Though you'll have to become used to media queries, they aren't always avoidable especially the more complex pages get, sometimes you have to hide elements below certain screens or just use JavaScript to delete them.

1 Like

Re: Aside, Media Query In Css How Do I Create A Responsive Website? by Animegirl(f): 12:08pm On Nov 10, 2022
Re: Aside, Media Query In Css How Do I Create A Responsive Website? by Animegirl(f): 12:21pm On Nov 10, 2022
davien:
That's why you build mobile first.

Flex has been my go-to for responsiveness for things like cards, navigation and other elements on the page using properties like flex-wrap: wrap; and putting min-widths to elements.

Though you'll have to become used to media queries, they aren't always avoidable especially the more complex pages get, sometimes you have to hide elements below certain screens or just use JavaScript to delete them.

Alright.

I was told to start using tailwind media query in place of css media query, I don't know how true this is but I will continue to use JavaScript to hide certain elements.
Re: Aside, Media Query In Css How Do I Create A Responsive Website? by davien(m): 12:33pm On Nov 10, 2022
Animegirl:

Alright.

I was told to start using tailwind media query in place of css media query, I don't know how true this is but I will continue to use JavaScript to hide certain elements.

Nice, remember that you can have multiple classes all linked to a single element.

like <header class="heading bold left"></header> <!-- This is the element you're targeting -->

There are multiple classes here to make specificity easier(that's how i do it atleast) because now you can target those classes for whatever element that you also assign them to, like if i wanted something to have the float: left; property i'd assign them the class left and they'd all float left(this is what preprocessors like tailwind and bootstrap make easier to do as they have assigned classes for multiples properties you want for an element.
Re: Aside, Media Query In Css How Do I Create A Responsive Website? by Animegirl(f): 12:43pm On Nov 10, 2022
davien:

There are multiple classes here to make specificity easier(that's how i do it atleast) because now you can target those classes for whatever element that you also assign them to, like if i wanted something to have the float: left; property i'd assign them the class left and they'd all float left(this is what preprocessors like tailwind and bootstrap make easier to do as they have assigned classes for multiples properties you want for an element.

Wow!!! I haven't reach this level but this seems cool. Thanks for your response.
Re: Aside, Media Query In Css How Do I Create A Responsive Website? by tangoalpharomeo: 1:32pm On Nov 10, 2022
Answer: yes.

If you want to make a responsive website with CSS alone, you need to make viewport media queries. There is no other way.

But, if you are willing to use JavaScript as well, there is a JavaScript API that will allow you to access the width of the viewport (I won't put it here, go to MDN and search for it).

Once you've gotten the viewport width, you can:
- use client side JavaScript to fetch the appropriate css styles depending on the value of the viewport width.
- shift this to the server entirely, by getting the viewport width and sending it to the server, then, depending on the value, the server will redirect your browser to the appropriate route/subdomain for your device's viewport width. Some sites like Twitter already do this (the subdomain for mobile devices is mobile.twitter.com while the domain for all other devices is twitter.com).

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Aside, Media Query In Css How Do I Create A Responsive Website? by Animegirl(f): 2:05pm On Nov 10, 2022
tangoalpharomeo:
Answer: yes.

If you want to make a responsive website with CSS alone, you need to make viewport media queries. There is no other way.

But, if you are willing to use JavaScript as well, there is a JavaScript API that will allow you to access the width of the viewport (I won't put it here, go to MDN and search for it).

Once you've gotten the viewport width, you can:
- use client side JavaScript to fetch the appropriate css styles depending on the value of the viewport width.
- shift this to the server entirely, by getting the viewport width and sending it to the server, then, depending on the value, the server will redirect your browser to the appropriate route/subdomain for your device's viewport width. Some sites like Twitter already do this (the subdomain for mobile devices is mobile.twitter.com while the domain for all other devices is twitter.com).

Good luck.

Wow!! I will definitely try this. Thanks.
Re: Aside, Media Query In Css How Do I Create A Responsive Website? by Dangrace01: 4:35pm On Nov 10, 2022
Bootstrap

1 Like

Re: Aside, Media Query In Css How Do I Create A Responsive Website? by Deicide: 4:43pm On Nov 10, 2022
Use Tailwindcss or Bootstrap but everything Na still manual but less stressful.

2 Likes

Re: Aside, Media Query In Css How Do I Create A Responsive Website? by eventainment(m): 1:04am On Nov 11, 2022
Read mdn doc on CSS and no other ... Then come back you'll never be confused on how to solve any problem

3 Likes

Re: Aside, Media Query In Css How Do I Create A Responsive Website? by Sleekcode: 3:48am On Nov 11, 2022
Tailwind all day... Twice on Sunday
Re: Aside, Media Query In Css How Do I Create A Responsive Website? by Animegirl(f): 6:29am On Nov 11, 2022
eventainment:
Read mdn doc on CSS and no other ... Then come back you'll never be confused on how to solve any problem

Thanks
Re: Aside, Media Query In Css How Do I Create A Responsive Website? by majesticguy: 1:45pm On Nov 11, 2022
Well for me, I use Display: flex , flex-wrap: wrap; for the container, then the individual content (divs) within the container, I set my flex to :1 1 (width)rem. eg flex: 1 1 20rem. This is for two content within a container.

Then for multiple content within the container, i make use of
Display:grid
Grid-template-column : repeat (auto-fit, minmax( eg 20rem,(for the width) 1fr)

This 2 methods above automatically replaces media query for me most times. As the website would perfectly adjust it self, when transitioning from small screen to big screen vice versa.

1 Like

Re: Aside, Media Query In Css How Do I Create A Responsive Website? by Animegirl(f): 2:04pm On Nov 11, 2022
majesticguy:
Well for me, I use Display: flex , flex-wrap: wrap; for the container, then the individual content (divs) within the container, I set my flex to :1 1 (width)rem. eg flex: 1 1 20rem. This is for two content within a container.

Then for multiple content within the container, i make use of
Display:grid
Grid-template-column : repeat (auto-fit, minmax( eg 20rem,(for the width) 1fr)

This 2 methods above automatically replaces media query for me most times. As the website would perfectly adjust it self, when transitioning from small screen to big screen vice versa.

Nice!!! Thanks.
Re: Aside, Media Query In Css How Do I Create A Responsive Website? by pixey(m): 2:53pm On Nov 11, 2022
Animegirl:
I find it difficult when creating a responsive website using css media queries.

Is there another way I can create a responsive website without using media query?
Use CSS grid and the minmax function but you may still need media queries.

(1) (Reply)

What Api Can I Use For Vtu? / Alot Of Nigerian Websites Including Nairaland Have Been Compromised / Ready To Learnn Trade Forex With Available Signals Doing 30-40+ In Profits Daily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.