Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,645 members, 7,801,875 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:17 AM

Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad (10319 Views)

Info For All Those Who Want To Travel To Vietnam To Buy Clothes/shoes Etc / Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe / Easiest Way To Travel Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by llbhuds: 9:15am On Aug 24, 2011
I could remember the night i was leaving MM airport filled with hopes, determinations and agitation for a brighter future outside the shores of africa and the willingness to come back to Nigeria as a bigger hero. though, i left naija as a student and i could remember vividly the question the British passenger beside me asked after telling him the reason behind my going to the UK was. he asked '' are there no universities where you can study this course in Nigeria ?, cos if you are not aware of them, i can give you 5 names now.
can i say that 95% of naija traveling abroad is for economic reasons?
i want real honest and candid answers to my question irrespective of the reasons , WHY DO WE (NIGERIANS) HAVE A HIGH DESIRE TO TRAVEL ABROAD ?

1 Like

Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by imperiouxx(m): 9:32am On Aug 24, 2011
llbhuds:

I could remember the night i was leaving MM airport filled with hopes, determinations and agitation for a brighter future outside the shores of africa and the willingness to come back to Nigeria as a bigger hero. though, i left naija as a student and i could remember vividly the question the British passenger beside me asked after telling him the reason behind my going to the UK was. he asked '' are there no universities where you can study this course in Nigeria ?, cos if you are not aware of them, i can give you 5 names now.

so NL i want real honest and candid answers to my question irrespective of the reasons , WHY DO WE (NIGERIANS) HAVE A HIGH DESIRE TO TRAVEL ABROAD ?

Second bold first: for tourism, visting, medical, sport trials, study, religion etc.

First bold: It seems you self no no what the problems are. You failed to ask that britico to tell you how many schools in UK strike like that of naija, how many schs don't have constant electricity and ask students to pay for fuel whenever they need power for their projects and experiments, how many science schools in UK haven't seen electron microscope before in their lifes, how many of their graduate any Nigeria based firm will not preferred over Naija graduates, what is the ranking of those his/her 5 Nigeria schools in Africa let alone the world? There are a lot of problems oooo, let me just stop here.
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by llbhuds: 9:41am On Aug 24, 2011
@ imperiouxx
based on your first bold, 98% of nigerians that left with d motive of studying don't wish to come back or rather prefer to be illegal than to come back home. since you left to study, why dont people come back home after their studies?

1 Like

Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by imperiouxx(m): 10:08am On Aug 24, 2011
llbhuds:

@ imperiouxx
based on your first bold, 98% of nigerians that left with d motive of studying don't wish to come back or rather prefer to be illegal than to come back home. since you left to study, why dont people come back home after their studies?

That's a problem we need to ask our government. Why did they themselves have their children staying put abroad? Nobody won teri si naow but it would be good if we come back after sometime to develop our country (if not frustrated by the same government sa ooo).
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by llbhuds: 2:01pm On Aug 24, 2011
my problem is that our so called govt officials travel abroad and yet they have nothing to learn from all der visits to europe and the americas on how to make the countnry move forward.
lets be sincere with ourselves, we dont need technology to eradicate corruption na. if corruption is out of naija 98% of nigerians in diaspora is willing to come back home cos no place like home oo i swear.
Ethiopia is one of the poorest country in the world and yet there is Ethiopian Air which carries nigerians from europe to naija and its working efficiently and flawlessly , where is NIGERIAN AIRWAYS? ARE THERE STILL NIGERIAN PILOTS IN NIGERIA ?
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by Greenpro: 11:09am On Aug 25, 2011
Rich ones travel for tourism while the yet to be travel for economic reason. There is much in Nigeria to do for than travel to foreign land for economic reason. God for bid.
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by Nobody: 11:34am On Aug 25, 2011
Typical reasons:

Better education (at least the employers think so)
Students don't suffer from evil lecturers *like we have in most Unis*
Human labour is appreciated and well paid. . .
No power failure. . .

It's just a better environment out there, but one thing remains the fact; you can't give what you don't have.
If you go abroad and succeed, its because you have success embedded in you.

I believe in this country and things are changing gradually. . . God Bless Nigeria! smiley
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by Desert01: 12:11pm On Aug 25, 2011
I would say I travelled abroad to study. But secretly in my mind I am constantly hoping for a better future. But as the time goes by and I see "senior" colleagues (imagine an LLM ) doing menial jobs for a living and posing on facebook with primark clothes I ask myself is the Grass actually greener on the outside sad . I wouldn't call it a bad thing though because I haven't seen my own outcome yet grin . But on the positive side the time spent here has really exposed me to cultures and demystified myth about different races not to even talk about the wealth of knowledge I have(thanks to constant fast internet I have , outstanding lecturers with good electricity.). Will I ever use what I am being taught ?? , A question that puzzles me because naija is a consumer society not a producer . When I have my way though I am coming straight to naija where my bills and taxes are not as high and I can get a decent job without looking inferior . grin
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by otokx(m): 12:14pm On Aug 25, 2011
There are still Nigerian pilots in Nigeria; some people always want to blow things out of proportion.

1 Like

Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by marcus1234: 12:32pm On Aug 25, 2011
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by PaulJohn1: 12:44pm On Aug 25, 2011
Yes Mr. poster. Many Nigerians prefer studying abroad. This is the fact that, many Nigerian companies, offices, Administration.etc. prefer employing a person with a foreign certificate to those carrying a certificate obtained in Nigeria, my Dad and I just discussed that this morning. This made my brother fly out the country to run his Masters degree program, and by God's grace I would also do that as soon as I'm through with my degree program. When we Nigerians do not appreciate what we're having, how do u want it to be appreciated abroad. This provided us with no option than to leave the country to obtain a certificate that would provide us job in the Country.
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by Gemma11: 1:06pm On Aug 25, 2011
I just recently returned from Nigeria after years and was expecting to see a big improvement due to the positive comments I constantly read here on NL but not much has changed. . . .In fact things were a lot worst!

Case in point. I don’t like flying very much so as one would expect after an unavoidable 6 hour flight into MM, I chose the option of travelling by road to Sapele from Lagos. Now I have been on this journey before and I distinctly remember it only taking about 5-6 hours. . . . Lo and behold the journey now takes around 10+ hours because of the ridiculously bad road section at Ore, Ondo State.
How did the road deteriorate that much?

And don’t get me started on the light situation, the fact that no one is willing to risk their lives going once it gets dark as well as the fact that everyone expects a little something for doing what they have already been paid to do. i.e. We had already paid for our tickets but the driver of the bus still wanted all passengers to contribute N300 each for so he could buy ‘fuel’ because he had to take another route to avoid the bad road at Ore Hello. . .You no know say you go take anoda route before? Abi did the road become bad yesterday?? I tire! It is things like this that make me glad that I don’t live in Nigeria. Imagine if a driver of a National Express Bus from Edinburgh to Manchester asking the passengers who had already purchased their tickets to give him extra money because there was a bad road section on the M6??
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by beknown(m): 1:23pm On Aug 25, 2011
Reasons:
- Better education (e.g. qualifications are recognised worldwide, hardwork recognised, etc)
- Better employment prospect during and after study
- Better environment for study (e.g. constant electricity, water, fast internet, etc)
- Excellent legal system (e.g. accountable government, less right violation, good court system, etc)
- Better chance for common man (e.g. everybody is equal and treated equal)
- Better healthcare system (e.g. medical professionals are truly qualified and practical, reliable medicines, etc)
- Less chance for corruption (e.g. transparent processes, accountable authorities, citizen right, efficient law, less cash transactions, etc)
- Excellent road network (e.g. saves the vehicle from quick damage, quick movement, etc)
- Reliable transport system (e.g. different types of transport method, timed transport system, ticket system, etc)
- Many more.
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by Antiscam1: 1:46pm On Aug 25, 2011
SIMPLE ANSWERS:
1.To find out why michael jackson changed his skin colour from ours to theirs
2.To find out d taste of albino's toto, sorry white toto grin

1 Like

Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by snthesis(m): 2:01pm On Aug 25, 2011
Gemma11:

I just recently returned from Nigeria after years and was expecting to see a big improvement due to the positive comments I constantly read here on NL but not much has changed. . . .In fact things were a lot worst!

chei shocked shocked!!! get a refund from the school u attended o! o shey na ghana u go? grin grin
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by Princek12(m): 2:03pm On Aug 25, 2011
To go and give birth in the most sought after country for giving birth (US of A) so that their children can have American citizenship, rack up thousands of dollars in unpaid medical bills, and leave for Nigeria. 18 years later, we will send our "American citizen" children back to the US of A to go and reap the benefits from the land that neither they nor their parents sowed one seed. Talk about a parasitic relationship that has been extremely abused by Nigerians.
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by imperiouxx(m): 2:06pm On Aug 25, 2011
I was thinking I was the only one responding to this before but thanks to these cogent replies. The new dub in naija now is if you can't get job in naija, just go study even in Malaysia, you become hot cake in naija labour market. Go south africa, you become Gold. Go US/UK/CAN/other well dev. countries, you go bi LORD. Shiiiior! We are not even sure of our degree again. Bad government!. . . . .so so pathetic.

@beknown,
very good reasons there.
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by seedord247(m): 2:15pm On Aug 25, 2011
tell me which naija university Library get standard PC with 24 hour  internet without paying a dem.
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by otiigba1(m): 2:49pm On Aug 25, 2011
Gemma11:

Case in point. I don’t like flying very much so as one would expect after an unavoidable 6 hour flight into MM, I chose the option of travelling by road to Sapele from Lagos. Now I have been on this journey before and I distinctly remember it only taking about 5-6 hours. . . . Lo and behold the journey now takes around 10+ hours because of the ridiculously bad road section at Ore, Ondo State.
How did the road deteriorate that much?

And don’t get me started on the light situation, the fact that no one is willing to risk their lives going once it gets dark as well as the fact that everyone expects a little something for doing what they have already been paid to do. i.e. We had already paid for our tickets but the driver of the bus still wanted all passengers to contribute N300 each for so he could buy ‘fuel’ because he had to take another route to avoid the bad road at Ore Hello. . .You no know say you go take anoda route before? Abi did the road become bad yesterday?? I tire! It is things like this that make me glad that I don’t live in Nigeria. Imagine if a driver of a National Express Bus from Edinburgh to Manchester asking the passengers who had already purchased their tickets to give him extra money because there was a bad road section on the M6??

grin grin grin grin grin wellcome to naija
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by Kx: 2:57pm On Aug 25, 2011
Anti-scam:

SIMPLE ANSWERS:

2.To find out d taste of albino's toto, sorry white toto grin

Are u saying some guys travels becos of this reason?
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by ifewise(m): 3:01pm On Aug 25, 2011
To say the truth our country is usele*s,annoying,people are wicked,selfish,we don't love each other especially yorubas,frustrating, to crown it all  we don't value our youths irrespective of their academic qualification.finally niger is full of problems and evil spritual powers that control the physical
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by o2dlomez(m): 3:06pm On Aug 25, 2011
llbhuds:

can i say that 95% of naija traveling abroad is for economic reasons?
i want real honest and candid answers to my question irrespective of the reasons , WHY DO WE (NIGERIANS) HAVE A HIGH DESIRE TO TRAVEL ABROAD ?

[size=15pt]where are you the poster typing from, if you are abroad and asking this question, then you should go back to naija and ask the question from there, are you a student and are you not through?[/size]
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by kpolli(m): 3:18pm On Aug 25, 2011
Cos naija universities are bleeped and life in naija is hard
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by boyt1: 3:37pm On Aug 25, 2011
Living in Nigeria isn't that bad the way some people put it. Infact i have decided to  do a research on life in Nigeria. In June 2011 i decided to relocate to Ikeja,Lagos  since then i have been living very fine.
This test will last will last till June 2012,  with a  residual income of  just 2,000Euros  a month and some income from my house rent i wonna try living the  normal 9ja way.
So far, i have spent 2 month and i think it's a good training for me.
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by imperiouxx(m): 3:52pm On Aug 25, 2011
@boy t,

What you are saying is contrary to the fact. You said you come back to naija and it sweet with you. Good to hear that ooo but don't go back ooo. We need people like you around. Now, what about those that can't travel and have no job. Are you saying they are lazy?
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by Gemma11: 4:06pm On Aug 25, 2011
snthesis:

chei shocked shocked!!! get a refund from the school u attended o! o shey na ghana u go? grin grin

Teach me. grin

What is wrong with the expression I used?
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by llbhuds: 7:08am On Aug 27, 2011
Like I said b4 I left naija for studies dou wit d intentn of a beta life which was. Like a mirage in my father land. I am a graduate of better by far university (lol) and after countless aptitude tests endless job interviews felt like naija was failin me, so I dcid to leave.
after my graduation I came to naija bt guys wetin I see pass my imagination. 4frm d airport I was askin my mum dat why is everybody angry because nody was even smilin atall, I swear
all d tins I left in naija wer eitther dsame or gettin evn worse. Se na unpaid salary I wan talk abi na constant. Police crazy attitude not to talk about no electricity at all. Armed robbers own never enter ooo abi na bad belle peeps for ur area wey bliv say na der pikin need dey ur position, I never mentn H2O wey no dey.
dou life is not also easy in europe because of d tax system nd u nid 2work. 4every penny u earned bt atleast all d basic nids of life are nt lackin, europe no get crude,gold,diamond nd no bsay dem get fertile land like africa but dey are beta dan african 1m x. Se na swear dey our head abi na we just no well?
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by AjanleKoko: 11:49am On Aug 27, 2011
I think, in terms of population, we should have people move out more. To go out and grow, and learn to be better, and be better empowered.
Not move out to go and sell drugs, yahoo yahoo, and credit card fraud. And all manner of activities that soil our collective name.

And everybody should have a vision to put something back into Nigeria. Whether you are working as a street sweeper or senior exec abroad, we should always strive to do our bit to move Nigeria forward. Unfortunately we've lost the plot in that aspect. Most people abroad are either busy celebrating 24 hours power supply or the skyscrapers they see everyday, while others are trying to become like the white man as much as they can, and forget home.Whether Nigerian abroad or at home, we have all adopted the collective lottery mentality. We all see life as a lottery, and we spend all our lives searching for our own winning numbers.

It's like, right from the days of slavery, Sambo has always looked at the white overseer in the big house, and has never aspired for anything more than being that guy. That seems to be the sum of all black aspirations.
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by llbhuds: 9:27pm On Aug 27, 2011
@ AjanleKoko
the way you are talkin shows you are a true Nigerian nd you are 1 of d die hard citizens dat will always bliv in naija, but bliv me if you live in europe, you will knw naija is a failed country. the way farward like you suggested is to look for how evri naija in diaspora can contribute meaningfully to d dev of d country but let me tell you sometin,  if our leaders are hard nuts to crack den der is no way farward. i am a nigerian to d bone, d colour of my blood is black but honestly i have lost hope in that country.
a couple of nigerians were arrested in northern Cyprus wen i was a student der nd d police dmanded a guarantor b4 dey could release dem, so som1 was sent to istanbul to meet d ambassador bt he said he cant come because TRNC is not a recognized country to nigeria govt so he cant come to bail anyone out. can you imagine such a statement from my country´s ambassador ?
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by AjanleKoko: 10:15pm On Aug 27, 2011
llbhuds:

@ AjanleKoko
the way you are talkin shows you are a true Nigerian nd you are 1 of d die hard citizens dat will always bliv in naija, but bliv me if you live in europe, you will knw naija is a failed country. the way farward like you suggested is to look for how evri naija in diaspora can contribute meaningfully to d dev of d country but let me tell you sometin,  if our leaders are hard nuts to crack den der is no way farward. i am a nigerian to d bone, d colour of my blood is black but honestly i have lost hope in that country.
a couple of nigerians were arrested in northern Cyprus wen i was a student der nd d police dmanded a guarantor b4 dey could release dem, so som1 was sent to istanbul to meet d ambassador bt he said he cant come because TRNC is not a recognized country to nigeria govt so he cant come to bail anyone out. can you imagine such a statement from my country´s ambassador ?

I understand your point of view.
But it still doesn't change anything. I did not say people should not go to other countries. In fact, because of our population I believe we should be well represented in many nations, just like Chinese and Indians. I would prefer, though, that we are known for good, not for all this foolish one naira crimes that we keep committing all over the place, drugs and credit card fraud.

Nigeria is where we all came from. We have to do better for Nigeria. The leaders may be hard nuts to crack today, but remember, nothing stays the same for ever. Start contributing to people's lives, people at the grassroots who are suffering the effects of bad leadership. You'd be surprised at what a little good can achieve. You might help someone today, and he might become the president tomorrow.

These countries we all relocate to were no better than Nigeria at some point. But people fought and worked hard for the reality that we all rush towards today. It's time that we also pay the price so our children can know a better Nigeria.
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by zerocool(m): 12:16pm On Sep 23, 2011
There is no use staying here, cos this country has issues. If Nigeria is not split up into different countries, i can't see any real development.
Re: Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad by imperiouxx(m): 12:26pm On Sep 23, 2011
zerocool:

There is no use staying here, cos this country has issues. If Nigeria is not split up into different countries, i can't see any real development.

Sure! x 3

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Embassies In Romania, Hungary Receive Over 200 Nigerians From Ukraine / Do You Ever Think Of Moving Back To Nigeria / Plz Help...this Sound Like A Scam! Canada Work Permit...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.