Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,962 members, 7,806,784 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:56 PM

Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. (30934 Views)

Dr Akorede Kamil Teaches Coding On The Streets Of Ilorin / Coding On My Android Phone � Don't Give Ur Lack Of A PC As An Excuse / What No One Tells You About Coding In Python: Eye-opening! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by jabberjawz: 2:03pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:
You hardly see Nigerians teaching coding or talking about programming related stuff on on social media, especially on Youtube. This is because this is actually a legit way to be a successful person and it involves a lot of hard work, determination and consistence.

Nigerians only like to propagate get rich schemes and fraudulent stuff like plagiarizing books to post on Amazon or some rubbish Ponzi scheme. The common thread that links all these is that they don't involve much work and all you have to do is just do the little, then sit and wait for money to start pouring into your account. I admit there are a tiny minority of people who make money from these, but it's usually for a short period of time until it crashes or they get banned from Amazon, or get arrested, but the majority of people don't get shit, rather they jump from one get rich scheme to the other until they realize they've wasted their time.

Programming will never be saturated with competent programmers especially in this country because majority of people don't have the discipline and delligence to actually become competent programmers.

For the past month I've not been on social media. I deleted my Twitter, Facebook Tiktok, Instagram and vowed to never check status on WhatsApp because that's a very huge distraction. I only use Nairaland and Reddit, particularly for programming related information. I deleted every movie from my laptop and haven't watched TV for weeks.

How many people can do this? How many people can sit at a desk staring at a computer screen for 12+ hours everyday?

Nigerians are very lazy and are addicted to quick gratification and this works in the favor of programmers who are serious, because it reduces the competitiveness of the job market.

@OP, please do not generalize, there are lots of young Nigerian kats doing great work out there....give them kudos please. It's not easy to combine all the distractions in Nigeria with writing programming codes....[/b]did you consider power supply?, did you factor in cost of internet connectivity, access to training materials & mentorship, hunger in the land....etc.....not everyone enjoy the privileges that you do....[b]

1 Like

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by oneMalik: 2:03pm On Dec 16, 2022
I agree with the lazy factor .

Buhari said it and they thought he's saying nonsense.

Devdevdev:
You hardly see Nigerians teaching coding or talking about programming related stuff on on social media, especially on Youtube. This is because this is actually a legit way to be a successful person and it involves a lot of hard work, determination and consistence.

Nigerians only like to propagate get rich schemes and fraudulent stuff like plagiarizing books to post on Amazon or some rubbish Ponzi scheme. The common thread that links all these is that they don't involve much work and all you have to do is just do the little, then sit and wait for money to start pouring into your account. I admit there are a tiny minority of people who make money from these, but it's usually for a short period of time until it crashes or they get banned from Amazon, or get arrested, but the majority of people don't get shit, rather they jump from one get rich scheme to the other until they realize they've wasted their time.

Programming will never be saturated with competent programmers especially in this country because majority of people don't have the discipline and delligence to actually become competent programmers.

For the past month I've not been on social media. I deleted my Twitter, Facebook Tiktok, Instagram and vowed to never check status on WhatsApp because that's a very huge distraction. I only use Nairaland and Reddit, particularly for programming related information. I deleted every movie from my laptop and haven't watched TV for weeks.

How many people can do this? How many people can sit at a desk staring at a computer screen for 12+ hours everyday?

Nigerians are very lazy and are addicted to quick gratification and this works in the favor of programmers who are serious, because it reduces the competitiveness of the job market.
Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by yetmao: 2:05pm On Dec 16, 2022
Only retired programmer will have time for youtube videos.
Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Moh247: 2:05pm On Dec 16, 2022
FireUpNow:

Good, is the GNT a school for coding? I don't mind letting him go there for a few as that will make it better.Are they in Lagos?

It's an IT school, and based in Ibadan back then, don't know if they are in Lagos but many IT schools like such exist in Lagos and the training is not that expensive

Alternative is Udemy and other Online coarses, but you still need a mentor

1 Like

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Truss20: 2:05pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:

.bro pls am interested in learning coding how do I go about it pls
Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Cowbell521: 2:06pm On Dec 16, 2022
airsaylongcome:
The first two commenters are attention seekers. One is bragging about seating for 12 hours straight. Asking how many Nigerians can do it. Lubbish and bunkum.

When people were seating 12 hours straight reading code from a book and writing your own code with pencil and paper to go and type the following day and run where were they?

These two Javascript Materials produced by Ewomazino Akpareva an Isoko boy with "Nigerian accent" una buy? Or you think people generate content to give away free....y'all should shut up abeg. Learn your coding jejely and stop looking for attention. E nor get wetin una dey do wey men never do before
Girls and stupidity are 5&6. The mumu Devdevdev thought she's the first to sit 12 hours. You know how many people do far more than that per day? Let her share her portfolio not just talking anyhow. Empty basket

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Cowbell521: 2:07pm On Dec 16, 2022
yetmao:
Only retired programmer will have time for youtube videos.
Abi. That girl is a novice and her stupid gender won't let her calm down
Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by ebukason3(m): 2:07pm On Dec 16, 2022
There are videos on YouTube that can help you, i learn html using my S40 java cellphone, learn php and WordPress extension from Bukky on YouTube.
Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by RealTrump: 2:07pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:

I will, when I've mastered it enough to impart the knowledge into someone else.

Na so, this is the first lie lazy People tell themselves. Document your journey on YouTube. Start with the to-do apps n put it out there. D programmers that come to form ninja on YouTube spend days studying d code before regurgitating it

4 Likes

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Alusiizizi(m): 2:08pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:

You know the trouble with narrow-mindedness? It focuses your eyes on that one crumbling piece of cake even when the world around you is disappearing before your very presence. When you criticize these "Nigerians" whose population in programming/IT related occupations is so thin and vanishing you should qualify your claims with prepositions like "The Nigerians that I know"... or "It seems that all the people around me"... You see, because at the end of the day you own the right to speak for yourself and your condition only and no-one elses.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Cutehector(m): 2:08pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:

because you managed to stay away from social media doesn't give you the right to start calling other nigerians lazy.

Let everyone be. And why the fück are you online?

7 Likes

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Cowbell521: 2:09pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:

I never said I sit for 12 hours straight. I said I code for 12 hours a day. This in done with regular intervals.

Your second paragraph can only be understood by the gods.
That's because there's nothing in your brain

3 Likes

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by RealLagosBoy: 2:09pm On Dec 16, 2022
Please which text editor is the best
Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Blaqputin(m): 2:10pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:

Speak for yourself, stop all these hasty generalization of things you have no idea about.
I am active an all social media, and still have time to do whatsoever I do successfully, dnt attribute your inefficiencies to others....no offense

2 Likes

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Cowbell521: 2:10pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:

I wrote a sentence, you replied me an essay. Pained motherfucker.
You are very stupid. Just argue without insulting him. Answer his question

3 Likes

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Cowbell521: 2:11pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:

What else do you suggest I do? Spend hours taking photos updating my status every 30 minutes? Go on Twitter and argue all day about bullshit? Or maybe prostitute my body on social media for thirsty guys like you to feast on?
Yes, argue like you're doing now. I don't expect someone that codes for 12 hours a day to have time to boast or argue on Nairaland. Keep deceiving your village people. Mumu

2 Likes

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Truss20: 2:11pm On Dec 16, 2022
Bro pls am interested in learning coding also but how do I go about it , I stay in Lagos. Just finished my apprenticeship of electrical work but I need a digital skill to back it up
Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Untube: 2:13pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:

You totally wrong @op, Nigerians are not lazy but "some" Nigerians are lazy. Nigerians are hardworking and sincere people but some of the bad eggs makes it look like all Nigerians are lazy and into fraudulent activities. It's obvious and most of the people from the developed states are aware but they will not make it public. Fraud is a global menace and not from a particular tribe or continent but the media escalate it when someone from Asia or Africa, most especially, Nigerians are involved.

You did just 12hours, and you here praising yourself. When there's an emergency, some of us work for 48hours or more non-stop.

Please note, Nigerians are hardworking and sincere people. Do you know how many Nigerians that's working for Google, Microsoft, meta et Al currently? Do your search properly next time before you come on internet to write nonsense about us.

6 Likes

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Akalia(m): 2:13pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:

What else do you suggest I do? Spend hours taking photos updating my status every 30 minutes? Go on Twitter and argue all day about bullshit? Or maybe prostitute my body on social media for thirsty guys like you to feast on?
no offence meant but I don't blame that guy one bit for picking on you. You see, in your post you did sound like you are the only Nigerian working hard/smart to achieve set objective.

Your generalization "Nigerians are lazy" is rather awkward since there are many Nigerians who are working their ass off to achieve great feats for themselves. Next time, be modest when talking about your hard-work/smart-work and accomplishments and shit, resist the urge of sounding pedantic when presenting yourself to the public.

By the way programming isn't the only cool field to venture into in the vast array of human endeavors.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Cowbell521: 2:13pm On Dec 16, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Thirsty guys like me? Are you well or is attempting to get into coding making you loose your mind? Have I come to private chat you that I want to fuçk you? See this silly dumbfuçk. Thirsty guys like me? What silly body are you even prostituting that will make me want to thirst for you? See ehn, mind your words or get hit by a truck.

What else would I suggest you do? Shut up and learn to code. Stop running your mouth off when you are still a rookie.
She should shut up and return to the hookup joint she came from cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by otipoju(m): 2:14pm On Dec 16, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Lol! Me struggle? I don't do freelance u dimwit. 1099 or FTE. Seat your sorry as, code for 12 hours then bow down to me. I'm greater than you in any way. And will . forever remain greater than you. SWINE.

You asked "How many people can do this? How many people can sit at a desk staring at a computer screen for 12+ hours everyday?"

If English wasn't part of your problem, you would have known that this question you asked suggests that only an elite few can accomplish that. So I ask you again, staring at a computer screen for 12hours is an accomplishment for you?

+1. Take it easy on him. You have a point he has a point as well.
Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Desusi: 2:14pm On Dec 16, 2022
qtguru:
You can always champion the move. Set the pace nau for others.
You gerrit brother.! Rome was not built in a day.Necessity is the mother of invention. Show the way,others will follow. Nigerians are eagerly willing to learn and do better.

1 Like

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by care4you: 2:15pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:

Which laptop/computer can run 12hrs straight without external power source?

Or which state in Nigeria can have 12hrs uninterrupted power supply?

You're dumb or should I add illiterate to it?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Elemosho478: 2:16pm On Dec 16, 2022
Moh247:
Fast money isn't in programming or tech, Nigeria loves quick money

Truth is bitter, but it must be told

Yahoo is very very hard, time consuming and involves ritual yet most Nigerians prefer that to tech jobs

A good C++ developer would train constantly for over a year before you can get a tech job

Freelance sites are not even helping Nigeria as once you tell them you are Nigerian they label you a scammer or price you low

I once approached a school with a software proposal and the price offer was just ridiculous

Whogohost in Lagos was recruiting Web Developers and I was there.. only to get the offer letter with salary less than 50k and crazy work hours.. how will anyone survive on such

Most Nigerian companies don't want to pay Nigerian programmers what they deserve, they just want a slave. The best way to work as a programmer in Nigeria is as a freelancer or work remotely for foreign companies online.

1 Like

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by benqo01(m): 2:17pm On Dec 16, 2022
OP WE LOOKING AT THE MARKET SPACE,WHAT I MEAN IS HOW SEROUS DO PEOPLE TAKE CODING?

SECONDLY MAJORITY OF NIGERIANS WHO CODE AT SOME POINT,TEND TO LOSE INTEREST AND FIND SOME OTHER MEANS OF MAKING MONEY ONLINE.

SO THEY FOLLOW THE TRENDS BECAUSE CODING ISNT REALLY WORKING,THE WAY YOU RE PUTTING IT

EVEN THOUGH A NIGERIAN YOUTUBERS MAKE A VIDE ON CODING HOW MANY VIEWS DOES HE EVEN GET?

IT IS NOT ON THE TRENDING SPACE IN NIGERIA,ON LIKE OTHERS PEOPLE JUST WANT TO FOLLOW THE LATEST TREND DONT BLAME THEM

CODING IS FANTASTIC BUT I WAS STUCK AT SOME POINT,I BELIEVE WITH TIME PEOPLE WILL PICK INTEREST IN IT

2 Likes

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Cowbell521: 2:18pm On Dec 16, 2022
airsaylongcome:

You throw suggestions that I am a "thirsty guy" and you don't expect feathers to be ruffled? Throw eggs at my house and not only will I burn yours down, I will dig up the foundation. "Ashawö Kobo Kobo"
I love you bro
Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Jonegonu: 2:20pm On Dec 16, 2022
They are busy crating comedy content.
Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Cowbell521: 2:20pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:

If I call a rich man a poor man, he won't take me seriously because he knows he isn't poor. He will simply smile and ignore. Same applies to calling you a thirsty guy.

Besides, 4 out of every 5 guys I meet are thirsty, so it's not wrong to assume you to be one.
That's because you're from hookup joints. Why won't you always meet thirsty men? Sorry, we don't need your service here. Take it to junction

2 Likes

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Nobody: 2:21pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:

Learn to use the word "Some" instead of this hesty generalization of a people.

The world does not start and end with coding or becoming a programmer, infact there are so many professions and skills that gets one a very high paying job without being a programmer.

Your passion and goals shouldn't be the yardstick for measuring other people's aspirations nor choice of field of endeavor, that's ignorance laden with naivety or a crass example of arrogance.

Why should I aspire to be a programmer if I don't have any passion of being one?

Why should I not explore other legitimate options of interest if it will help me actualize my goals and aspirations?

Is this thread even necessary if the objective is to see things only from your own prisms without recourse to acknowledging that there is something known as different perspective, aspirations and goals?

You reached an illogical conclusions based on your false subjective premises?

With all due respect sir, I beg to differ with this views which ain't close to any form of objectivity but laden with lots of false generalizations and categorical assertions that are factually incorrect.

Cheers.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Cowbell521: 2:21pm On Dec 16, 2022
Jonegonu:
They are busy crating comedy content.
What happened to you? Why can't you create something?

1 Like

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Heterodox(m): 2:22pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:

You're stupid for calling Nigerians very lazy.

Where is the electricity to sit behind a desk for 12hrs, privileged bastard?

You should be more successful than Zuckerberg with how you run your mouth

4 Likes

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by JAHSY(m): 2:22pm On Dec 16, 2022
To be sincere maami, I want to try staring at my computer for 12+ hours a day but then I realized my laptop battery no good. I go buy another, and then my brain come to the right sense say we no get stable light to charge the new battery I just purchased.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Official Thread For Experts And Begineers In Python / Nigerian Teen Girls Win International Award With Their Waste Disposal App / Difference Between A Programmer And A Web Developer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.