Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:23 AM

Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 (78991 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Mummyimbecile(m): 11:30am On Apr 11, 2023
Vibra:
Good afternoon everyone

Which of these places will you advise a young couple to settle down?
No kids yet
The wife has job offers in different states already, husband works in media and will like a job in the industry over there
Missouri
Iowa
North Carolina
South Dakota
Kentucky
Ohio

North Carolina will be better. They should settle in either Winston-Salem or Raleigh... Raleigh will be better.

But if you want a cool and saner environment, I recommend Vermont, Rhode Island, and Connecticut.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Mummyimbecile(m): 11:33am On Apr 11, 2023
UnaDoWell:
Hello all, has anyone tried renewing their Nigerian international passport in the US recently? My passport expires in August 2023 and I want to know how & where I can renew it without much stress. I am currently living in Missouri. Thanks.
My cousin did his recently, He did it in New York.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by godG: 3:14pm On Apr 14, 2023
Vibra:
Good afternoon everyone

Which of these places will you advise a young couple to settle down?
No kids yet
The wife has job offers in different states already, husband works in media and will like a job in the industry over there
Missouri
Iowa
North Carolina
South Dakota
Kentucky
Ohio

If you are not fan of cold, avoid South Dakota. I have lived in the midwest for almost a decade and I can tell you that SD is cold. Easily one of the 15 coldest states in the US.

If you want a quiet and affordable life with a touch of activities to not get you bored, go to Ohio or Mizzou. Midwestern states are generally good for starting and raising a family. Mind you, whatever you get in the midwest will be dependent on the city you settle in.

Iowa, though... I am a quiet person and I consider Iowa TOO quiet for my liking. I drove through the state during a road trip last summer, it is a quiet, 'corn-tastic' state. Has some really good, less-trafficked roads, though! Ultimately, my guess is that you will be bored in Iowa, except, maybe, you live in Iowa City.

I really do not know much about Kentucky (except being the birthplace of KFC) and North Carolina (aside from having a vibrant Black population. So, you guys will be close to the culture.).

In all, don't take any of these too seriously, pray to God to lead you to a place where you can fulfill His purpose for you this season. Best wishes and welcome to the greatest country in the world!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Sisib15: 12:02am On Apr 16, 2023
I need to prepare myself very well for South Dakota state. With the reviews I have been reading online about South Dakota state. That staye looks scary to me and I will be heading to South Dakota state university this fall.

Please, Is there anything I should prepare for regarding that state
godG:

If you are not fan of cold, avoid South Dakota. I have lived in the midwest for almost a decade and I can tell you that SD is cold. Easily one of the 15 coldest states in the US.

If you want a quiet and affordable life with a touch of activities to not get you bored, go to Ohio or Mizzou. Midwestern states are generally good for starting and raising a family. Mind you, whatever you get in the midwest will be dependent on the city you settle in.

Iowa, though... I am a quiet person and I consider Iowa TOO quiet for my liking. I drove through the state during a road trip last summer, it is a quiet, 'corn-tastic' state. Has some really good, less-trafficked roads, though! Ultimately, my guess is that you will be bored in Iowa, except, maybe, you live in Iowa City.

I really do not know much about Kentucky (except being the birthplace of KFC) and North Carolina (aside from having a vibrant Black population. So, you guys will be close to the culture.).

In all, don't take any of these too seriously, pray to God to lead you to a place where you can fulfill His purpose for you this season. Best wishes and welcome to the greatest country in the world!

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Rdfactor(m): 2:34pm On Apr 16, 2023
godG:

Missouri is boring, well, just like any Midwestern State. But, Maybe it depends on the city. Also, Mizzou is a name of a school in Missouri (Columbia),not a state. You mean to type Missouri

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Bossman(m): 12:44am On Apr 17, 2023
Chicago is in the MIdwest and it's definitely not boring.

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by godG: 3:32am On Apr 17, 2023
Rdfactor:

Missouri is boring, well, just like any Midwestern State. But, Maybe it depends on the city. Also, Mizzou is a name of a school in Missouri (Columbia),not a state. You mean to type Missouri

I thought Columbia wasn't bad oo. Fine city. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by godG: 3:38am On Apr 17, 2023
Sisib15:
I need to prepare myself very well for South Dakota state. With the reviews I have been reading online about South Dakota state. That staye looks scary to me and I will be heading to South Dakota state university this fall.

Please, Is there anything I should prepare for regarding that state

Don't overthink it. You will be fine. One thing I always tell folks is that they should come happy but be realistic when they arrive. America is an amazing country. God will abide with you. You gon like SD.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Rdfactor(m): 11:28am On Apr 18, 2023
godG:

I thought Columbia wasn't bad oo. Fine city. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚. LoL. Columbia is a remote city in Boone county Missouri. If not for the school (Mizzou),I don't think people will chose it as destination. And the majority of the inhabitants are Mizzou students anyways
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Rdfactor(m): 11:30am On Apr 18, 2023
Bossman:
Chicago is in the MIdwest and it's definitely not boring.

Well, yeap. Chicago IL is an exception, IL is great but there are still majority of remote cities there too. Macomb is one.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by AyoPrudence(m): 1:09am On Apr 19, 2023
Rdfactor:

Well, yeap. Chicago IL is an exception, IL is great but there are still majority of remote cities there too. Macomb is one.

I hear people say Macomb is an awesome place to live, or are they just enjoying schooling at Western Illinois University?

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Schrodinger2(m): 1:45am On Apr 19, 2023
UnaDoWell:
Hello all, has anyone tried renewing their Nigerian international passport in the US recently? My passport expires in August 2023 and I want to know how & where I can renew it without much stress. I am currently living in Missouri. Thanks.
Although you have 3 options in New York, ATL and DC but I did mine weeks ago at DC. It also expires in August.

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Rdfactor(m): 2:28am On Apr 19, 2023
AyoPrudence:

I hear people say Macomb is an awesome place to live, or are they just enjoying schooling at Western Illinois University?

Macomb is great for school, there's WIU there, cuz it might be considerably cheaper to live in. Most people might decide to move to states and cities that has better opportunities after graduation
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Sisib15: 8:18am On Apr 19, 2023
Refire.
Greatajo:
Good morning lovely people. I just came across this thread. I was denied a visa twice even with full funding and it broke my heart that I couldn't apply for admission this fall. I know studies are the easiest route as they told us and that's why I wanted to ply that route that was why I sought a scholarship as there's no way I could afford education outside. Please, what other route can one go through considering life as a Nigerian. Thank you all
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by mbapelvis: 12:50pm On Apr 19, 2023
Sisib15:
Refire.
Please can someone move to the USA through Mexico as a refugee who has no address (knows nobody) and succeed?
How will he go about it?
Thanks
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Sisib15: 2:41pm On Apr 19, 2023
Lol. You don dey carry me go where I no know oo
mbapelvis:

Please can someone move to the USA through Mexico as a refugee who has no address (knows nobody) and succeed?
How will he go about it?
Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by pointednose: 9:20pm On Apr 21, 2023
Omg! Most people always saying Midwestern states are boring.. haha. Moving to Ohio next week. Well I am looking forward to the best time of my life.

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by pointednose: 9:29pm On Apr 21, 2023
Originalsly:
All those states mentioned .... calm .... quiet ... low cost of living ... wonderful states for introverts and those who don't like sharing space with other people ... especially Blacks.... a rare breed in these states .... not too much violence but when they are ready to pull the trigger.... the whole world knows about it ... 24 confirmed dead ... 39 wounded ... the mass murderer shooter taken into custody. pick your poison.

This is one of my concerns in recent times. Did this gun violence epidemic increase in recent times? About 5 years ago when I was researching whether to go to the US or Canada...I don't think this gun violence issue was really as heightened as this. I also heard its ingrained into the constitution and nothing can really be done about it. Besides, People benefit from the whole madness. What do you guys think about this whole gun violence issue?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Proteanmind(m): 10:37pm On Apr 22, 2023
Please if you are living in US and you are interested in co-founding a company, do well and send me mail: rocks@truthwrit.com.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Emblem(m): 10:21pm On Apr 29, 2023
Mummyimbecile:
North Carolina will be better. They should settle in either Winston-Salem or Raleigh... Raleigh will be better.

But if you want a cool and saner environment, I recommend Vermont, Rhode Island, and Connecticut.

Those areas mentioned are very good. I lived in Greensboro for 5 years before moving to Charlotte. I have friends in Raleigh. I've also worked in Raleigh before for a year. Overall, NC is great.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Azooms: 5:31pm On May 02, 2023
Good day please I have a question which goes this; A white friend of mine (US Citizens) whom I met in Lagos sent me an invitation letter, he is an administrator of a small county in New Jersey. Please my good people, should I follow it up with all the stories of refusal everywhere?
Will his letter carry any weight with the fact that he's a country administrator??. Thanks
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by 1stGenAmerican(f): 6:54pm On May 02, 2023
Azooms:
Good day please I have a question which goes this; A white friend of mine (US Citizens) whom I met in Lagos sent me an invitation letter, he is an administrator of a small county in New Jersey. Please my good people, should I follow it up with all the stories of refusal everywhere?
Will his letter carry any weight with the fact that he's a country administrator??. Thanks

1. Invitation letters carry no weight with the US Embassy.
2. Are you wanting to apply for a tourist visa? If so, submit your completed application with all the necessary documents.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Lovelive: 11:18pm On May 02, 2023
How much do I need o to Japan to US o
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Nobody: 8:00pm On May 03, 2023
lilbro:

1.Texas
2.California
3.New York
4.Atlanta
5.Maryland
6.Washinton D.C
7.Massachusetts
8.North Carolina
9.South Carolina
10.Arizona
Thank you
Signed an offer for Maryland
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Akano5(m): 7:05pm On May 05, 2023
people have money to relocate to the US, while people like me find it hard to get money to start processing this stuff, well, na to enter Tunisia Or Georgia remain like this
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Welovetruecrime(m): 5:55pm On May 06, 2023
US RESIDENTS ONLY

Product testing is when companies give out their products for free to selected individuals, before releasing the products to the General public. They do this to make sure the product works well and doesn't have any problems.
People who use the product, both experts and regular people, give feedback on how to make it better.
You can earn extra money from the comfort of your own home, testing products before they hit the stores.
We're thrilled to share with you an amazing opportunity to earn money as a paid product tester through the website we're about to showcase. And the best part? It’s free to join.

Not only will you be able to earn extra income, but you'll also have the chance to try out new and exciting products before anyone else. Plus, you'll be helping brands improve their products based on your valuable feedback.
So what are you waiting for? Sign up here https:///testingproducts Now and start earning money by testing products. It's a win-win situation for everyone involved!

https:///testingproducts
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by brighttech95(m): 6:40pm On May 06, 2023
Emblem:

Those areas mentioned are very good. I lived in Greensboro for 5 years before moving to Charlotte. I have friends in Raleigh. I've also worked in Raleigh before for a year. Overall, NC is great.

How about Cullowhee ?

Where Western Carolina university is located

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (27) (Reply)

Train Goes Through The Centre Of A 19-storey Block Of Flats In China(photos). / The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name / Visa To Mexico Is Not As Difficult As You Think !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.