Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,438 members, 7,808,568 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:33 PM

"spreading The Gospel" To The West - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "spreading The Gospel" To The West (1113 Views)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Declares 2016 A Year Of Spreading / Prophet TB Joshua Curses Zimbabweans For Spreading Lies Against Him / Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"spreading The Gospel" To The West by ogajim(m): 5:39pm On Aug 24, 2011
It is not uncommon for one to hear Nigerian Churches make claims about "spreading the Gospel/good news" to Western nations, the point I want us to discuss amicably is how true are those claims really are.

I have never been to a Nigerian Church where 95% (at a minimum) of the worshipers aren't Nigerians or children of Nigerians with the other 5% accounting for spouses, co-workers, or friends of Nigerians.

Why aren't they trying to convert folks in China, Eastern Europe, or the Muslim World?

Who are we kidding here?
Re: "spreading The Gospel" To The West by Demainman1: 5:50pm On Aug 24, 2011
They say "We are spreading the Gospel/good news" to Western nations"

They actually mean "We are spreading the Gospel/good news" to NIGERIANS in Western nations"
grin grin
Re: "spreading The Gospel" To The West by ogajim(m): 5:52pm On Aug 24, 2011
^^^

That's what they need to start advertising my brother for the sake of TRUTH IN ADVERTISING!
Re: "spreading The Gospel" To The West by obowunmi(m): 5:53pm On Aug 24, 2011
Nigerians are slaves to religion. No one buys the hocus pocus bullshit.
Re: "spreading The Gospel" To The West by JeSoul(f): 3:34pm On Aug 25, 2011
ogajim:

It is not uncommon for one to hear Nigerian Churches make claims about "spreading the Gospel/good news" to Western nations, the point I want us to discuss amicably is how true are those claims really are.

I have never been to a Nigerian Church where 95% (at a minimum) of the worshipers aren't Nigerians or children of Nigerians with the other 5% accounting for spouses, co-workers, or friends of Nigerians.

Why aren't they trying to convert folks in China, Eastern Europe, or the Muslim World?

Who are we kidding here?
Look at this bad belle boy . . . why are you trying to hustle another man's hustle? grin China? Middle east? Russia? for whia? who be mugu?  grin Pastor no wan die now, communism will not allow for the aquisition of private jets and lavish residences, Russia self too cold and who fit learn new language? Afghanistan? you want make he chop bullet from alqaeda? . . . who no like better thing for America and Swiiizurland?  grin

Offtopic . . . yo dude, NFL season is abouts to be on again cheesy Pats on point for #4 for Brady . . . no make I come drag you over to the thread oh, they're only about 4 of us on NL that watch the thing  grin
Re: "spreading The Gospel" To The West by PastorKun(m): 4:23pm On Aug 25, 2011
What these charlatans wrongly label as 'spreading the gospel' is nothing more than spreading their church franchise/ their brand. More like a business enterprise trying to grow it's business opening branches were there is ready market and the environment conducive.
Re: "spreading The Gospel" To The West by wordtalk(m): 6:30pm On Aug 25, 2011
ogajim:

^^
African Initiated Christianity in Eastern Europe:
Church of the "Embassy of God" in Ukraine

For an African Christian missionary to draw into a single church more than 20,000 eastern Europeans at the turn of the twenty-first century is a phenomenon that may well be interpreted best in the light of the promise of Jesus that those who listen to him and follow obediently will do "greater works".

http://www.strategicnetwork.org/pdf/kb20185.pdf 

African Missionaries Take Religion to the West

"Maybe as African missionaries we can encourage them to be more exuberant about knowing God," said the priest, who worked in Mombasa before moving to England, which he had never visited before. African churchmen first started moving to Europe and the United States in the 1970s to minister to immigrants mostly from their own countries. But in the 1980s, African evangelicals -- including some Anglicans, Baptists, Lutherans and Methodists -- decided to take a more systematic approach toward reaching what they saw as an increasingly godless West. . . .

Nigerian pastor Sunday Adelaja pioneered the independent Embassy of God church in Ukraine, delivering rousing sermons and dancing in the aisles to some 25,000 mostly white members, making it one of Europe's biggest churches.

http://www.churchshift.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70:african-missionaries-take-religion-to-the-west&catid=39:press-room&Itemid=60 

Re: "spreading The Gospel" To The West by ogajim(m): 8:01pm On Aug 25, 2011
JeSoul:

Look at this bad belle boy . . . why are you trying to hustle another man's hustle? grin China? Middle east? Russia? for whia? who be mugu?  grin Pastor no wan die now, communism will not allow for the aquisition of private jets and lavish residences, Russia self too cold and who fit learn new language? Afghanistan? you want make he chop bullet from alqaeda? . . . who no like better thing for America and Swiiizurland?  grin

Offtopic . . . yo dude, NFL season is abouts to be on again cheesy Pats on point for #4 for Brady . . . no make I come drag you over to the thread oh, they're only about 4 of us on NL that watch the thing  grin

The Pats might have an easier route in the AFC this year but I doubt they can win it all but you never know. Peyton is likely out for the first few games hence their signing of Kerry Collins to handle the ball until 18 comes back. The Ravens only have this year left to do something before rebuilding, NFC is still the conference to beat though cheesy
Re: "spreading The Gospel" To The West by ogajim(m): 8:09pm On Aug 25, 2011
@WT

I've read of the Adelaja guy in Ukraine and the fact that there were some "issues/controversies" surrounding him recently too. I don't believe he is "affiliated" with any of the leading "Nigerian ministries" though but what do I know?

I will be sure to see for myself if I ever find myself close by there because all the Nigerian Churches I've visited here in the US, UK, Germany, etc are purely Nigerian Churches fitting my original description.

Share more information with us if you have them as we can't see everything and not claiming to.
Re: "spreading The Gospel" To The West by wordtalk(m): 9:31pm On Aug 25, 2011
ogajim:

Share more information with us if you have them as we can't see everything and not claiming to.

I don't have first-hand info. Those I am aware of are from second-hand sources. There are quite a number of African missionaries, evangelists, and church planters working in those places you highlighted. Some of them are said to be involved in deep controversies - others we may not know much about.
Re: "spreading The Gospel" To The West by ogajim(m): 11:56pm On Aug 25, 2011
^^^

The "silent" workers have to be applauded and celebrated where ever they are,

We have to keep an eye out for the good as well ( we're keeping an eye out for Irene around here too cheesy )

(1) (Reply)

Church Refuses To Marry Black Couple / Christainity Is Not Expected To Make Sense To The Physical Mind. / Why Do Christians Preach Against Premarital Séx, Yet Practice It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.