Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,878 members, 7,806,527 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:51 PM

Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords (6134 Views)

Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords / 5 Bedroom + 2room Bq For Rent @ Stillwaters Estate, Lekki - 12 Months Rent / 5 Bedroom + 2room Bq For Rent @ Stillwaters Estate, Lekki - 12 Months Rent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by 3direct: 8:52am On Aug 25, 2011
<strong>I pity ppl that vote him in, its obvious the guy is a sure enemy of progress</strong>
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by daddee: 9:04am On Aug 25, 2011
New law without new enforcement agent is a 'breakable' law.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by vaLasce(m): 9:07am On Aug 25, 2011
such laws wnt bring d rents down,
it wld sky rocket instead.
attention shld b paid on d price of building materials,
eg,
cement,
sand,
stones,
wood,
etc
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by dagboss(m): 9:10am On Aug 25, 2011
It is a good law meant to alleviate the conditions of prospective tenants but i am afraid it may not work because Lagos state Government is fond of passing populist laws that are not backed up by effective enforcement. I am sure some of the Lagos Landlords will be laughing and rolling on the floor because they know it may not work.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by rhymz(m): 9:22am On Aug 25, 2011
Let us stop decieving ourselves, the law is not enforceable. It is one thing to make a declaration, it is another thing to back it up by developing a system that enforces the law. Seriously, somethibg needs to be done to the eye popping exploitation of these landlords. Another aspect of these whole thing is the discrimination in it, for instance, my landlord wont rent his house to a fellow yoruba man because according to him, he may question his authority at some point. And I ve noticed since the last yoruba men left, we have been at his mercy, he does not let us see our utility bills, he goes to each flat and gives you a fix charge just like that. His family members occupy the first floor and I am so certain that they do not pay any of the utility bills, they prolly pay from our over-charge. The last time he increased the rent, it was 100% and nobody has said anything, when I got mad and questioned him, he told me it was my fellow igbo brothers that just moved in and they paid way more than he is collecting from us old tenants. He prolly thought I took his reference to the new tenant being igbo like me as a compliment, the reality is, this man purposely allows only igbo business meb in his house because he can easily exploit them. Am already making plans to leave the place anyway, I dont need some criminal landlord extorting me like this. ly members occupy the first floor and I am so certain that they do not pay any of the utility bills, they prolly pay from our over-charge. The last time he increased the rent, it was 100% and nobody has said anything, when I got mad and questioned him, he told me it was my fellow igbo brothers that just moved in and they paid way more than he is collecting from us old tenants. He prolly thought I took his reference to the new tenant being igbo like me as a compliment, the reality is, this man purposely allows only igbo business meb in his house because he can easily exploit them. Am already making plans to leave the place anyway, I dont need some criminal landlord extorting me like this.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by bennie1980(m): 9:29am On Aug 25, 2011
Before we take to street to jubilate over this law, we need to allow some reasoning to prevail. Can you control what you dont supply? The government has failed woefully in the areas of housing and we have been left at the mercies of private owners since. We should even commend the private owners notwithstanding their excesses otherwise most of us might have to spread our three years rent somewhere and lie on them. Not that I am supporting private owners, I believe that the Law would lead to nothing but "BEHIND THE SCENE DEALINGS"  with Landlords. Please, let government embark on aggressive affordable housing for all. It is not enough to put a Law in place to regulate what you dont supply!
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by beninman1(m): 9:33am On Aug 25, 2011
BRF may have good intentions but he has clearly chosen the wrong move/tactics.
You cannot control what you don't supply.
Like others, i ask - where was govt when landlord had to endure huge land cost, omonile wahala, high cement cost etc.
This move would only create and encourgage back hand dealings making houses even more scarce and harder to get
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by optimistD(m): 10:02am On Aug 25, 2011
komek:

This is a good development, bt who knws d demerits of this law?
D demerit is dat investment into housing project by individual wil become less atractive which wil result 2 less people buildin 4comacial purposes. Now remenber dat d demand in comacial houses contioiously increases. U dnt need a prophet 2 tel u wat happens wen demand increases with decrease in supply wt a sharp slope. It would hav been a 1daful devmnt if Gov't had provided a comiserating housing b4 this policy 2 counter d advers effect it may inflict on d mases.
Besides, he did nt tel us wat wl hapen 2dos stuborn tenants, leavin landlords vulnerable 2 abuse. Mind u, lm a tenant too.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by dustydee: 10:07am On Aug 25, 2011
This is what we need in Abuja where a 2 bedroom flat goes for 1.5m and you are required to pay for 2 yrs.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by kliverpool(m): 10:13am On Aug 25, 2011
Move round Lagos and u will see Jankande estate every where
how many years did he take that man to erect those structures.
Why cant we see any Governor that can replicate such a thing.
Its simple law of demand and supply.Rent will not go down and landlord will collect
more than six month.

Build more housing estate and landlord will be forced to collect less.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by sirt1(m): 10:24am On Aug 25, 2011
benin-man:

BRF may have good intentions but he has clearly chosen the wrong move/tactics.
You cannot control what you don't supply.
Like others, i ask - where was govt when landlord had to endure huge land cost, omonile wahala, high cement cost etc.
This move would only create and encourgage back hand dealings making houses even more scarce and harder to get

At bolded,

Majority of houses in Lagos were built in the eighties wen cement and other building materials were very cheap. So, most landlords dont av excuse for their exploitative nature. they are just way too greedy and self centered like our leaders.

The law is good anyway, but my concern is how to enforce it. I know, it is not difficult to implement if there is political will to do it. I was discussing with somebody sometimes on this issue. i argued that the law wont work. He said, if government was willing to enforce it, that by the time 2 or 3 landlords were made scapegoat and sent to jail, that others will adjust, which i quickly accepted.

Everything boils round the willingness of the government to enforce it, or else, it will remain like other laws that were passed without being implemented.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by kizito96(m): 10:24am On Aug 25, 2011
Fashola should address the issue of high cost of building materials. A landlord who goes to the bank to borrow money to build his house in Lekki, costing millions of Naira will be told to collect 6 months? Government should adress the fundamental issues and not meddling into things they cannot control.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by macroworld: 10:33am On Aug 25, 2011
Its the willingness of the Government to enforce it. Anything is enforceable if there is a will. In the least, the enforcement could be be by delegated Authority to Local governments, who already have various local enforcement functions in place. Obviously, it will involve some funding and system.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by mastro: 10:45am On Aug 25, 2011
In a private demand and supply economy who determines a reasonable rent or increase there of?
Oh and this is the same govt who are charging Millions for CofO

"Commenting, Fashola said that the law would address the problem of housing as the state continued to explode in population" I thought our Governor went to school, that is the most silly statement I've ever heard him utter

Could someone upload the full text of the law
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by Nobody: 10:53am On Aug 25, 2011
Hail Fashola, this is a good law, that is all i know.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by Lexzycane(m): 11:02am On Aug 25, 2011
What nonsense! Any landlord is out for business. And no matter d situation business is 2 make money and nt lose it. Av ppl tried 2 look at anytin frm landlord perspective? He is building houses 4 u 2 live in. Wat yr do u want him 2 gt his money back plus interest? And what law is govt 2 put in place 2 check tenants activities? You might want 2 ask me bt av seen cases of tenants destroying some things in d building b4 moving out, fighting and injuring landlords, burning refuse in d house while moving out and so many others. Who's gonna protect d landlords?
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by Greenpro: 11:16am On Aug 25, 2011
Good development for lagosians.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by Nobody: 11:41am On Aug 25, 2011
Good 4 d landlords.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by emmatok(m): 11:43am On Aug 25, 2011
Why are people complaining.

Fashola did not reduce housing rent, he only reduced the duration of payments.

If the-same tenant stays in that house for two years, he will still pay the-same old rent or more.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by vacancy2(f): 11:46am On Aug 25, 2011
The really good thing about this for me woulld be that small businesses may begin to at least have breathing space. If the law is truly enforced then I don't have to pay through the nose to get an office and don't have to dump all the profit into it renewing the rent too. Enforceability though is the key and the fact that rents may increase uncontrollably.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by badlaw(f): 11:54am On Aug 25, 2011
grin grin HOPE DIS IS SERIOUS AND MOST TAKE EFFECT IMMEDIATELY, LOOKING FORWARD TO SEE SOME LANDLORD GO TO JAIL. shocked
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by femmy2010(m): 11:55am On Aug 25, 2011
If a 10  term bill is ever initiated and passed?
Would surely Vote Fashola again and again.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by ahf(m): 12:01pm On Aug 25, 2011
If amounts add up to the same thing , 6 months rents aint a bad thing

i.e. 6months rent + 6 months rent = 12 months = 1 year rent

Loophole : -

1. If you want to increase your rent, serve your tenant 6months notice to vacate (on any grounds except rent increase).

2. Renovate the apartment

3. Seek a new tenant at your new desired rate.

Demerit: - Building houses for renting has just become a little more discouraged

Merit :- Some sanity in the housing sector (hopefully)

Organised landlords or managed places wont have much problem with this new law.

hopefully, it would tackle the landlord that wakes up on Dec 24 that he wants to increase rent by 50% come Jan 1st
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by tosenbaba(m): 12:30pm On Aug 25, 2011
I believe the law should be to target the Agents, they are the major cause of this rent wahala.More so if the new tenant is looking for 6mths, i guess he has to look for Fashola estate, cos in this Lagos,while you de carry 6mths rent to get an accommodation, someone else already has the 2yrs rent ready to pay.So it depends on how serious one is, and if one feels the landlord is wrong, he tells you hes no more giving it out,no be by force.So eventually the tenants would be the same people telling the landlord they are ready to pay for two years
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by harakiri(m): 12:37pm On Aug 25, 2011
sir t:

At bolded,

Majority of houses in Lagos were built in the eighties wen cement and other building materials were very cheap. So, most landlords dont av excuse for their exploitative nature. they are just way too greedy and self centered like our leaders.

The law is good anyway, but my concern is how to enforce it. I know, it is not difficult to implement if there is political will to do it. I was discussing with somebody sometimes on this issue. i argued that the law wont work. He said, if government was willing to enforce it, that by the time 2 or 3 landlords were made scapegoat and sent to jail, that others will adjust, which i quickly accepted.

Everything boils round the willingness of the government to enforce it, or else, it will remain like other laws that were passed without being implemented.

First of all, cement wasn't as "cheap" as you put it in those days because the value of the naira was high e.g you could buy a plot of land for N2,500 and buy a bag of cement for N3. Today, to buy a decent land in Lagos you'll be talking about millions of naira and a bag of cement as of today is over N2,000. You say landlords are "exploitative,greedy and self centered like our leaders". I hope you still have the same opinion when you finally build your own house. Mind you, this is coming from someone who owns his own properties and still lives as a tenant! By the time you cough out anything from N5million to N30million to buy land (unless in Mowe,Ikorodu or Sango), you settle Omo onile staggering sums from the time you buy land,survey,foundation,block work to lintel,decking,more block work,roofing,plastering,fittings,painting. . .even moving in, you must settle Omo-onile. When you have spent all this money, i will see if you still have the same myopic mindset.

Some people put all their hard earned money into building houses SO THAT YOU CAN HAVE A PLACE TO RESIDE and at the end, they are labelled as "evil landlords" because you paid them money. Use that money to build a house and see how it goes or better yet, go and live in Fashola's properties (if you can afford it).

Nonsense!
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by blank(f): 12:55pm On Aug 25, 2011
I hope that law has a clause for agents and lawyers that demand for 2 yrs sgency fee even when the landlord has asked you to pay one year's rent.

I am ready to test the limits of the law. I will pay my landlord only 6 months and demand receipt. No receipt, no payment. If she tries any nonsense, I will send her a well written letter from my lawyer friend.

The woman na winch. With the high rent that she is charging, i just found out that we av been paying her NEPA bill for the past 2 yrs. Can u imagine? Make she start, she go see red eye.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by harakiri(m): 1:18pm On Aug 25, 2011
blank:

I hope that law has a clause for agents and lawyers that demand for 2 yrs sgency fee even when the landlord has asked you to pay one year's rent.

I am ready to test the limits of the law. I will pay my landlord only 6 months and demand receipt. No receipt, no payment. If she tries any nonsense, I will send her a well written letter from my lawyer friend.

The woman na winch. With the high rent that she is charging, i just found out that we av been paying her NEPA bill for the past 2 yrs. Can u imagine? Make she start, she go see red eye.

Actually, the law favors landlords coz they don't need to wait for your 2 yrs to expire before they increase house rent. They can progressively increase house rent every six months and if you can't meet up, the exit is right there and mind you, it's easier to eject a monthly tenant than a yearly one. I'm not saying it's a good development (since i pay rent myself) but i want you to be cautious about rejoicing too soon. In between, it's bad that you and the tenants in your compound have been paying "her bill" for the past two years but i'll advise you to be careful about making trouble with her. Such actions are exactly what push landlords/landladies to become the so called "wicked people" coz dem go show you pepper. No be you build house for dem and if you wan claim right, go live for your papa house or build ya own.

Period!
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by Nkemika(f): 1:26pm On Aug 25, 2011
haba 6month is too short, i think one year is better planning than 2years, government should not over do their own oooooooooo, nawa sha, desperate individual will still pay 5years codedly, no be naija, easy to say policy than action, God dey sha, lol
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by blank(f): 1:29pm On Aug 25, 2011
That one na 4 her pocket. If she no wan rent her house out, make she live inside the thing na. If she increases rent, we will take it to court to prove that the rent increase is justified and i will take the proof of her scheming us for the past 2 yrs. I am ready to go all the way on this one. As long as i am not paying lawyer fees, no wahala.

I have just been waiting for this law to be passed and now she go hear am. Imagine 2 3 bedroom flats paying Nepa bill of 7k each every month while madam in her 6 room mansion pays zero. This is minus water bill and refuse mgt bill that we pay and she doesn't pay. She will regret going for summer this month and leaving us to collect the Nepa bill ourselves. God don catch am.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by MARKREN: 1:38pm On Aug 25, 2011
Good Law but If I may ask - How practical is this law? How is the Law to be enforced, who will cases be reported to?? How does this help those who are looking for houses in Lagos? How does this affect the exorbitant sums being charged currently? How does it stop all the other 10% fees being charged for agreement, agency as well as the extra caution fee being charged by the Landlord?

The only area that seem reasonable is the issue of rent renewal being reduced to 6 months from one year. But the caveat here is what stops the Landlord from increasing his rent after 6 months. How does the law define unnecessary rent increases

The laws of supply and demand will not allow this to work. You dont need to look far to see where it has failed in recent past - GEJ ordered cement manufacturers to reduce the cost of cement some months back. At that time a bag cost N2,200, his order pushed it down it to about N1,700. Right now cement now goes for around  N2,500 a bag. I wonder why GEJ has not spoken since then. This laws only works (temporarily) in the days of the military. The only way to counter the Landlords in the long term is to increase capacity (build more houses). Until Fashola does what Jankande achieved in his 3 1/2 yrs in office, in the area of housing , the law is a waste of time and will only succced in creating a black market.

A land lord will simply say if u cannot accept my terms go and meet Lagos State to give you a house on their own terms,   grin grin grin
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by pejol: 2:25pm On Aug 25, 2011
yes good law to all my ppl in lagos,thank u mr fashola for ur law that will be making telant to be paying agent fees,lawyer fees,damages and all kind of fees in every six month.
Reason is that,landlord will be sending ppl out as fast as possible so as to collect all kind of this money, so good luck.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Real Estate Industry Still In Recession - Experts / Sustainable Unique Nigeria's Building Plan / Renovation Process Of 2 Flats In Anambra State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.