Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,255 members, 7,807,880 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:24 PM

One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup (35042 Views)

Wales Consider Changing Name Of National Teams To Cymru After Qatar W/cup / Taribo West On 2018 World Cup And Super Eagles / FIFA Confirms Super Eagles As Youngest Squad During 2018 W/cup Qualifiers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by fergie001: 12:27pm On Nov 19, 2022
FIFA president Gianni Infantino has accused the West of "hypocrisy" in its reporting about Qatar's human rights record on the eve of the World Cup.

In an extraordinary monologue at a news conference in Doha, Switzerland-born Infantino spoke for nearly an hour and made a passionate defence of Qatar and the tournament.

The event has been overshadowed by issues in Qatar including deaths of migrant workers and treatment of LGBT people.

Infantino opened by saying: "Today I have strong feelings. Today I feel Qatari, I feel Arab, I feel African, I feel gay, I feel disabled, I feel a migrant worker."

"What do you do then? You try to engage, make friends. Don’t start accusing, fighting, insulting, you start engaging. And this is what we should be doing."

Hosts Qatar kick off the tournament against Ecuador at Al Bayt Stadium on Sunday (16:00 GMT).

In February 2021, the Guardian said 6,500 migrant workers from India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka had died in Qatar since it won its World Cup bid.

The number is based on figures provided by the countries' embassies in Qatar.

However, the Qatar government said the total was misleading, because not all the deaths recorded were of people working on World Cup-related projects.

Infantino said: "I am European. For what we have been doing for 3,000 years around the world, we should be apologising for the next 3,000 years before giving moral lessons.

"How many of these European or Western business companies who earn millions from Qatar, billions, how many of them have addressed migrant workers' rights with the authorities?

"None of them, because if you change the legislation it means less profit. But we did, and FIFA generates much less than any of these companies from Qatar.

"If Europe really care about the destiny of these people, they can create legal channels - like Qatar did - where a number of these workers can come to Europe to work. Lower revenues.... But give them some future, some hope.

"This means we shouldn’t point to what doesn’t work, here in Qatar as well, of course, there are some things that don’t work that need to be addressed."

"I have difficulties understanding the criticism. We have to invest in helping these people, in education and to give them a better future and more hope. We should all educate ourselves, many things are not perfect but reform and change takes time.

"Who is actually caring about the workers? FIFA does, football does, the World Cup does & to be fair to them Qatar does as well," he added.

"This one-sided moral lesson is just hypocrisy. I wonder why no-one recognises the progress made here since 2016.

"It is not easy to take the critics of a decision that was made 12 years ago. Qatar is ready, it will be the best World Cup ever.

"I don't have to defend Qatar, they can defend themselves. I defend football. Qatar has made progress and I feel many other things as well.

"Of course I am not Qatari, Arab, African, gay, disabled or a migrant worker. But I feel like them because I know what it means to be discriminated and bullied as a foreigner in a foreign country."

"As a child I was bullied - because I had red hair and freckles, plus I was Italian so imagine."

"What do you do then? You try to engage, make friends. And this is what we should be doing."

"Don't start accusing, fighting, insulting, you start engaging. There are 1 billion disabled people in the world … and nobody cares”

"Don't criticise Qatar.."

Qatar's 'kafala system' is a set of labour laws which allow Qatari individuals or businesses to confiscate workers' passports and stop them leaving the country.

Human rights groups say this has given developers free reign to exploit them - exposing them to gruelling working conditions for little pay and not allowing them to go home until projects materialise.

There have been reports of migrant worker deaths that range from a few dozen to several thousand in the 12 years of preparation for the tournament.

Qatar's Sharia law means same-sex sexual activity has punishments ranging from seven years in jail to death by stoning.

Qatar has been under pressure to build a migrant workers' centre and Infantino announced a "dedicated and permanent office" in Doha, following discussions with the Qatar government and International Labour Organisation (ILO).

He also said every worker that has an accident "receives compensation by law".

"Depending on the magnitude, it can be several years of salary," he added.

Infantino also said FIFA's Qatar 2022 legacy fund will go into education, signing an agreement that will help 25 million children and women in India.

“FIFA is opening up its compensation legacy fund for anyone who wants to invest in it”

Saying people can sit on a board if they invest.

Also establish a “Labour excellence hub” in Qatar with UN agency.

“This legislation exists in many countries …like for the workers these are processes. What do you want to do - stay home, hammer & criticise how bad these Arabs & Muslims are because it is not allowed to be publicly gay. Of course I believe it should be allowed.”

Alcohol u-turn 'a joint decision'
Just two days before the start of the tournament, FIFA changed its policy and announced no alcohol will be served at any of the eight World Cup stadiums.

Alcohol was set to be served "in select areas within stadiums", despite its sale being strictly controlled in the Muslim country.

Those in corporate areas of stadiums at the tournament will still be able to purchase alcohol.

Addressing the changed decision, Infantino said: "If this is the biggest issue we have for the World Cup then I will resign immediately and go to the beach to relax.

"Let me first assure you that every decision taken at this World Cup is a joint decision between Qatar and Fifa.

"There will be many fan zones where you can buy alcohol in Qatar and fans can simultaneously drink alcohol. I think if for three hours a day you cannot drink a beer, you will survive.

"Especially because the same rules apply in France, Spain, Portugal and Scotland. Here it has become a big thing because it is a Muslim country? I don't know why. We tried and that is why I give you the late change of policy. We tried to see if it was possible."

Asked why Iran should be at the World Cup following rights abuse and severe protests following the death of Mahsa Amini on September 16:

"Are they all monsters? What does the world have? if not football to bring them together," he went on.

He went on to suggest hosting the tournament in the country. 'If we should go with a tournament to Iran, let's go because maybe that will change something,' he said.

Infantino offered up 'Palestinians and Israelis' being able to come together as a positive reason for hosting the World Cup in the country.

'Maybe it is just during the World Cup, but it is a door that has been opened,' he said.

Asked about some fans who have said they will never watch the World Cup following events in Qatar:

'To the fans who are not going to watch the World Cup, well, don't watch it. What do you want me to tell them? I am convinced they will.

"It's like in these polls we have seen very recently...in some countries that say it's bad to watch the World Cup because it's in Qatar and it's FIFA and look this bad guy. [But] privately when they go home, of course they watch it. Because when you're a football fan, there's nothing bigger than the World Cup. We will have five billion people watching it. Those who watch it, officially and privately, they will see the best football ever and they will see the biggest emotions ever."

BBC Sport

Dailymail

108 Likes 14 Shares

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by WiszyFraud: 12:30pm On Nov 19, 2022
Did you know??

Now that Harmattan is here:

1. Drink more water to stay hydrated
2. Use moisturizers to protect your skin.
3. Avoid going outdoors unnecessarily.
4. Wear sweaters and socks to stay warm.
5. Apply lip gloss/balm to soothe lips.

Happy World Cup Weekend ✌️

188 Likes 8 Shares

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by Pearlwhite: 12:31pm On Nov 19, 2022
Hmmm

2 Likes

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by Patson080(m): 12:32pm On Nov 19, 2022
This tournament will be far from spectacular because of the non-footballing tension.
My best world cup feeling still remains South Africa 2010

Argentina for the cup nevertheless.

82 Likes 6 Shares

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by Caen1: 12:32pm On Nov 19, 2022
Stupid set of people are already calling qatar an extremist nation without considering the intended culture

139 Likes 8 Shares

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 12:32pm On Nov 19, 2022
angry angry

The hypocrisy of the west stinks to high heavens. God bless Vladimir Putin!!

204 Likes 15 Shares

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by LiveWithIt: 12:32pm On Nov 19, 2022
One hypocrite I know are the west, And hypocrites they shall be.

65 Likes 5 Shares

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by FuckTheMod: 12:32pm On Nov 19, 2022
Xtainity is a menace to this world.
The level of havoc and atrocities xtain TERRORISTS have caused to this world, is far greater than what all of the other religions put-together have caused.

From
Slavery
Colonisation
Raiding etc.

Just few days ago, their bishop or whatever legalised gay marriages in the church.
This is what their story-book, old and new is even completely against.
One thing I hate about them the most is their HYPOCRISY!!!

52 Likes 9 Shares

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by kado(m): 12:32pm On Nov 19, 2022
Hii
Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by ShoeWorld2(m): 12:32pm On Nov 19, 2022
The thing wey dey vex me where westerners are is the issue about homosexuality. Must they push/force it down our throat? It's not normal yesterday, today and its not ever going to be normal cos its against biological way of life.

I sell beautiful sneakers at affordable prices

107 Likes 8 Shares

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by ItsGoodToBeGood: 12:33pm On Nov 19, 2022
Ok
Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by Houseofglam7(f): 12:33pm On Nov 19, 2022
undecided
Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by Ckonnet: 12:33pm On Nov 19, 2022
The west and their hypocrisy, most of the companies committing these atrocities are from the west and operating in Qatar but they are blaming the qataris.
They will be shouting climate change but they prefer to outsource production to china n india and turn back and accuse them of polluting the environment like their is a way out of it.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by ekanx27(m): 12:33pm On Nov 19, 2022
They will soon plan his removal for speaking against the West.

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by fergie001: 12:33pm On Nov 19, 2022
Captains of ten European nations: Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, England and Wales have said they will be putting on the "One Love armband" whether they face sanctions or not.

The OneLove armbands (heart containing colours representative of all backgrounds"wink will be used to promote diversity, inclusion and anti-discrimination, in Qatar - where same-sex relationships and the promotion of same-sex relationships are criminalised.

Hugo Lloris and Cristiano Ronaldo are two Captains who have been public about not putting on the One Love armband.

However today, FIFA launched a rival armband which will be worn at different stages of the Competition.

*One Love armband (Pix 2)
*FIFA armband will be launched today.

3 Likes

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by Truthday: 12:33pm On Nov 19, 2022
Hypocrisy lives in their blood.

WW1, WW2, Holocaust, Invasion of dozens of nations; syria, iraq, libya, Afghanistan, vietnam, Laos, Korea, Japan Atomic bomb, just almost all attrocoties are committed by the west. Yet, they're the bastard First to criticize. Bastard hypocrites.

Countries like Spain, Brazil and France also BAN the drinking of Alcohol on football stadium. Is drinking alcohol on stadium an experience to encourage? Bastard hypocrites.

69 Likes 4 Shares

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by NaughtyBrainiac: 12:34pm On Nov 19, 2022
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by ednut1(m): 12:34pm On Nov 19, 2022
Hypocrisy smells

1 Like

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by ipobarecriminals: 12:34pm On Nov 19, 2022
cool
Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by whytediamond(m): 12:34pm On Nov 19, 2022
Is there any better word for hypocrisy?

5 Likes

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by VeryWickedGoat: 12:35pm On Nov 19, 2022
We dey on ground to arrest any gays. Try us and see. angry

16 Likes

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by olisefom: 12:35pm On Nov 19, 2022
I don't understand all these uproers. Why should I be like you? Moreso, everything you fighting for is obviously immoral.

LGBT or whathaveyou my foot.

Forget religion, these guys have mental disorders. They need help to heal...the world should rather concentrate on that.

Qatar have done well within the time frame. People should play football and go home. You don't come to people's house and start opposing their rules. That's rude! Even the West won't take such.

74 Likes 5 Shares

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by Ckonnet: 12:35pm On Nov 19, 2022
Infantino just lectured the west on their fuckery and hypocrisy in less than an hour.
Na man you be infatino!!

72 Likes 6 Shares

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by Adakintroy: 12:35pm On Nov 19, 2022
The mind of men are scarily naive. Am not in support of any badtreatment for workers but once you leave your shore, expect the unexpected. If your country could not give the life you deserve don't expect it else where. Is like ur parents not giving ur dream life but u placing demand on other parents to do it. There is a reason we have our own nations. To your tents everyone. What you get is a privilege in another man land. You have not earn shi shi. However they treat you is ur fault. Go home and fight and make urs work.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by VawulenceProMax: 12:35pm On Nov 19, 2022
WiszyFraud:
Did you know??

Now that Harmattan is here:

1. Drink more water to stay hydrated
2. Use moisturizers to protect your skin.
3. Avoid going outdoors unnecessarily.
4. Wear sweaters and socks to stay warm.
5. Apply lip gloss/balm to soothe lips.

Happy World Cup Weekend ✌️
seun Mynd44 lalasticla please be banning detailers like this imp

2 Likes

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by Triangles1(m): 12:36pm On Nov 19, 2022
Infatino de fire.

1 Like

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by Realists(m): 12:36pm On Nov 19, 2022
I am European. For what we have been doing for 3,000 years around the world, we should be apologising for the next 3,000 years before giving moral lessons.

The hypocrisy of these evil whites stinks down the depth of hell.
Who are the people that claimed to have murdered Jesus son of Mary ?. White slave traders.

Who are the people that caused the death of over 50 millions souls during the first world war ?. White slave traders.

Who are the people that murdered & enslaved millions of Africans ?. White slave traders

Black Africans need to boycott Christianity for evils these white slave traders diid on our humanity.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by blowjohn(m): 12:37pm On Nov 19, 2022
Wonderful.
I am a Christian and yes I support the strict rule on alchohol.

The world Cup us about football, not dance, not alchohol, not food.

U will survive without alchohol dor at least 3 hours a day.

Nice speech.

And for the migrants.
Ur country is ur country.
Any country not urs isn't urs.

Keep the love

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by obedience4(m): 12:37pm On Nov 19, 2022
Shut up ifantino, why won't you defend Qatar
After you have taken millions,
Thousand of migrate workers especially from Africa died just because the qatari qoverment wants to host a world cup

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: One-sided Moral Lesson: Infantino Slams "West" On Hypocrisy, Defends Qatar W/cup by money121(m): 12:37pm On Nov 19, 2022
Ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Messi Says "Things Have To Change" As Barca Lose La Liga Title To Real Madrid / Gianni Infantino Arrives Nigeria. FIFA President On A 2-Day Visit / Aftermath Of Nigeria Vs Congo Draw : 5 Lessons To Learn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.