Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,161 members, 7,780,138 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:08 AM

Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? (4668 Views)

Celebrating Mediocrity In Nigeria By Femke Van Zeijl / The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government / Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by KnowAll(m): 12:53pm On Aug 25, 2011
Why Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria

I watched the program on how Edo Girls are lured into prostitution in Europe and what I saw of Benin City and Edo State in general has a lot to be desired. I am not too sure whether my eyes have become accustomed to more sane pictures and flicks of develop cities around that I found the pictures and stream of Benin and Edo State miserable, unpalatable and really  backwardly.  I thought to myself the girls are probably running away from abject poverty, environmental degradation and penury.

There was a scene where they went to a village, the roads where awful, the lady showing the journalist around said contract for the road has being awarded but the Chairman of the LG had absconded with the money, the people in the village looked dreary, gaunt and unhealthy in their mud houses.

So all this news that Adam Oshiomole is an action Governor where is that coming from now, let us stop praising mediocrity. Our Governors have being abroad and they see how those societies are set up, they should copy good things not that sham they keep on feeding us with.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:37pm On Aug 25, 2011
Unfortunately Nigerians are so disillusioned that they will prefer to praise mediocrity than risk having nothing at all. It happens a lot,
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by KnowAll(m): 2:55pm On Aug 25, 2011
Unfortunately Nigerians are so disillusioned that they will prefer to praise mediocrity than risk having nothing at all. It happens a lot

That is why the best Governor in Nigeria Today, Fashola would not get more than 35% in my own books and others below 10% except of a few who would be striding between 12 and 14%. With this poor marks from our leaders no wonder there is so much misery in the land. Western Embassy in Nigeria is like market place, everyone wants to check out, do I blame them, capital NO! undecided
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by Dede1(m): 5:12pm On Aug 25, 2011
@OP

The reason, among others, is individuals such as you who waste bandwidth in praises of Fashola who is the governor of a town which served as the seat of federal government of Nigeria.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 5:20pm On Aug 25, 2011
@OP
The same can be said about other gonernors. Let's always endeavour to be objective @ Ekoile, Chino and co.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by KnowAll(m): 5:21pm On Aug 25, 2011
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 5:22pm On Aug 25, 2011
@Knowall, There are places like that in all states of the federation.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by KnowAll(m): 5:29pm On Aug 25, 2011
@OP

The reason, among others, is individuals such as you who waste bandwidth in praises of Fashola who is the governor of town which served as the seat of federal government of Nigeria.

I am a big anti Fashola guy, and the only reason I do that is I want him to improve on the 35% I have given him, one thing I know thus, they are listening Government in Lagos, the Makoko waterside that I criticise severely some months ago is about to be cleared off. Secondly that argument that Lagos was once a Federal Capital does not wash any more, if we had a useless Governor in Lagos State, Lagos would be locked down by and probably would have been the most gridlocked city in the world. Thank God for Fashola's initiative and foresight. The Feds have not invested a penny in that city since IBB ran for his dear life in 1991.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by KnowAll(m): 5:35pm On Aug 25, 2011
@Knowall, There are places like that in all states of the federation.

That is why the silliest thread on Nairaland in the last 2 weeks is the one titled " [b]which state is the most developed in Nigeria" all those who contributed to the wranglings and rantings are as clueless as our leaders. I must say Cap28's argument about Anambra State caught my attention the most, I had to do a google search on Akwa and Nnewi and Onitsha and all I could see is a sea of shanties. I beg you people should stop glorifying shanties, you are only making those bastard Governors smile all the way to the Bank, they would think they have done enough.[/b] 
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by Dede1(m): 5:43pm On Aug 25, 2011
KnowAll:

I am a big anti Fashola guy, and the only reason I do that is I want him to improve on the 35% I have given him, one thing I know thus, they are listening Government in Lagos, the Makoko waterside that I criticise severely some months ago is about to be cleared off. Secondly that argument that Lagos was once a Federal Capital does not wash any more, if we had a useless Governor in Lagos State, Lagos would be locked down by and probably would have been the most gridlocked city in the world. Thank God for Fashola's initiative and foresight. The Feds have not invested a penny in that city since IBB ran for his dear life in 1991.

Thank goodness Ibadan was the seat of then western regional government in Nigeria and still the capital of Oyo State. It does not take a genius to decipher what would have become the state of town of Lagos if not for federal capital. A good look at Abeokwuta should tell the whole truthful story.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by KnowAll(m): 5:45pm On Aug 25, 2011
http://placesearth..com/2010/05/cape-town-historical-town.html

A view of Cape Town, the people of SA are not blowing their Vuvuzelas but we Naijas, when our Governors patch a pot hole OR Build a 20 million shit house we start dancing and beating our talking drums why would the Governors not take us as a mugu.  undecided
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by SisiKill1: 5:48pm On Aug 25, 2011
When you choices are between very very very bad and very very, what do you pick?
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by KnowAll(m): 5:53pm On Aug 25, 2011
T
hank goodness Ibadan was the seat of then western regional government in Nigeria and still the capital of Oyo State. It does not take a genius to decipher what would have become the state of town of Lagos if not for federal capital. A good look at Abeokwuta should tell the whole truthful story.    

Federal presence has being absent  in Lagos for 22 years, if during that period Lagos had bad administrators that place would have being un-liveable. Ogun and Oyo State had bad administrators in the last 12 years, if we had someone like Awolowo ruling Oyo State who made Lagos play second fiddle to Ibadan in the early days, all what Lagos had Ibadan had. Ibadan was a cutting edge city for anything modernity in those days. You name it, stadia, first TV Stations, CBD with a cluster of HIGH RISE all built by Awolowo, it would take a miracle to reverse the decadence that have hit that city after more than 30 years of neglect.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by ektbear: 6:56am On Aug 26, 2011
KnowAll:

Why Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria

I watched the program on how Edo Girls are lured into prostitution in Europe and what I saw of Benin City and Edo State in general has a lot to be desired. I am not too sure whether my eyes have become accustomed to more sane pictures and flicks of develop cities around that I found the pictures and stream of Benin and Edo State miserable, unpalatable and really  backwardly.  I thought to myself the girls are probably running away from abject poverty, environmental degradation and penury.

There was a scene where they went to a village, the roads where awful, the lady showing the journalist around said contract for the road has being awarded but the Chairman of the LG had absconded with the money, the people in the village looked dreary, gaunt and unhealthy in their mud houses.

So all this news that Adam Oshiomole is an action Governor where is that coming from now, let us stop praising mediocrity. Our Governors have being abroad and they see how those societies are set up, they should copy good things not that sham they keep on feeding us with.

Is "abject poverty" likely to be solved in just 4 or 8 years? How much did you actually expect to get done in that period of time? Rome wasn't built in a day as they say.

Truth be told, there is really only so much a governor can really do to solve a problem like poverty.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by otooro1: 7:38am On Aug 26, 2011
Research on The Rothschilds, the new world order, the world bank, the central banks and your eyes will open. Then start a thread on nairaland and ask people what they know about them and you will be surprised how we are all living in "the matrix".
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by KnowAll(m): 8:37am On Aug 26, 2011
Is "abject poverty" likely to be solved in just 4 or 8 years? How much did you actually expect to get done in that period of time? Rome wasn't built in a day as they say.

Truth be told, there is really only so much a governor can really do to solve a problem like poverty.

[b]Abject poverty can be solved if those Governors we keep on harping about commute the funds available to them to the real purpose of which is local level infrastructural development which in itself would enhance and improve the human depravation so common in our rural areas and even in our cities. Poverty alleviation through mechanised farming should be encouraged and be the first bus stop for any Governor who is not ingenious enough.

I know you are a die hard ACN supporter, you are the type of people this thread is actually targeting, blind loyalty yet nothing to show. In the said ‘programme’ I could not miss the clearly obvious wet and green terrain of Edo State, there is enough rain in that state than meet the eyes?

Why those poor malnourished people are not engage in commercial farming I don’t understand? I don’t get it, what is ACN’s ultimate objective, I get the feeling and impression the Governors just trawl along on a daily basis, they are not focus, they have no comprehensive plans for their various states and communities which they should painstakingly follow to the letter, my assumptions and believe is some of this Governors, each day just wake up and report to their various offices not too sure what would bequeath them at the end of the day, it is like they are on auto-tune, zombies, we need more focal people who would have a sense of purpose and urgency.

Both ACN and PDP have failed or are failing the states in the SW, by 2015 we should be looking for a third way, rather than consolidating mediocrity.[/b] undecided
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by marcus1234: 8:39am On Aug 26, 2011
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by Greenpro: 9:06am On Aug 26, 2011
Governor Adam can not stop the desperation of those people for money to extent of sending their daughters for prostitution abroad. In fact, the Governor supposed to order them to be arrested and be persecuted.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:28am On Aug 26, 2011
Nigerians in general celebrate mediocrity, and i see it all around me not even in governance in the individuals i meet on a daily basis.
My two kobo on this is that you should seek to excel and  continually improve yourself,strive to be better in terms of intellect  and self awareness and not in terms of materialism and avarice.
We believe in conformity,the herd mentality it is pathetic, they believe in everything the newspaper tells them and are not curious,they font talk to themselves,ask themselves questions,look for solutions instead assign blame because it is much easier to be a critic than an achiever, Nigeria is a very medicore nation,success is actually having money in the bank,being a lawyer or a doctor a politician or a pastor.

creativity and innovation is not encouraged,brain stimulation is not encouraged,how many companies ask their staff to brain storm,make presentations?How many young people are encouraged to take creative risks,how many politicians.presidents can talk to the people in mind blowing oratory and not read a dull laborious speech in papaer not eve with a teleprompter.
Yes we are medicore
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:32am On Aug 26, 2011
Nigerians in general celebrate mediocrity, and i see it all around me not only in governance in the individuals i meet on a daily basis.
My two kobo on this is that when you seek to excel and  continually improve yourself,strive to be better in terms of intellect  and self awareness and not in terms of materialism and avarice.
We believe in conformity,the herd mentality it is pathetic.
We believe in everything the newspaper tells them and are not curious,we don't talk to ourselves,ask ourselves questions,look for solutions instead assign blame because it is much easier to be a critic than an achiever, Nigeria is a very medicore nation,success is actually having money in the bank,being a lawyer or a doctor a politician or a pastor.

creativity and innovation is not encouraged,brain stimulation is not encouraged,how many companies ask their staff to brain storm,make presentations?How many young people are encouraged to take creative risks,how many politicians.presidents can talk to the people in mind blowing oratory and not read a dull laborious speech in paper not even with a teleprompter.
Yes we are medicore
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by pinkrex(m): 9:33am On Aug 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

Think outside the box before you pass on comments. When the yearly budget is passed, they is always a percentage allocation to all regions according to population indices and other variable factors. The Governors have target or plan of how to develop the geographical location they are assigned to govern. They also generate income internally to boost their budget, so I think the Governors with good and focal administrative skills would have more than available to transform every state. Fashola's first tenure was a dedicated one, so you could see the rapid changes. Apart from Akpabio that towed through that line of governance, no other governor in Nigeria did but we could see the clear difference in transformation of the states i have mentioned.

You dont need ten years to transform a state if you are judiciously using the available funds for its purpose. It only takes a non corrupt mind to do justice undecided undecided undecided
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by bizarena(m): 10:06am On Aug 26, 2011
Is the problem really from with parties or with individuals dat formed d parties? Some of people most people join parties for different reasons. But one of d many reason why most people join is so dat dey can acquire wealth,dey want to share from d national cake,GREED,SELFISH AMBITION, I was listening to some student talk about going into power, 1 of dem was kind of honest by saying i cannot go there cos i wouldnt be able to beat them but join dem in d illicite act while d other plainly said, d tin na chop i chop, If i rich dia,50 pcent na my own, 30 wil go2d mass,20pcent wil go2d house and 10 2my scientist (medicent men) Look at dat? Such are d types of people power today,very cunny,dubeous and greedy. Wait a minute, What about the so-called 18,000 minimum wage? They implimented it but never saw it done. Know why? Coz dem go don finish d cake b4 dem tink of anoda pesin. Im happy i have something doing and making money on a daily bases both online and offline. U fit do something legitemate online or offline,i swear u no go broke nor look up to any govt for anytin. grin
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:36am On Aug 26, 2011
@KnowAll and has being
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by pinkrex(m): 10:45am On Aug 26, 2011
bizarena:

Is the problem really from with parties or with individuals dat formed d parties? Some of people most people join parties for different reasons. But one of d many reason why most people join is so dat dey can acquire wealth,dey want to share from d national cake,GREED,SELFISH AMBITION, I was listening to some student talk about going into power, 1 of dem was kind of honest by saying i cannot go there cos i wouldnt be able to beat them but join dem in d illicite act while d other plainly said, d tin na chop i chop, If i rich dia,50 pcent na my own, 30 wil go2d mass,20pcent wil go2d house and 10 2my scientist (medicent men) Look at dat? Such are d types of people power today,very cunny,dubeous and greedy. Wait a minute, What about the so-called 18,000 minimum wage? They implimented it but never saw it done. Know why? Coz dem go don finish d cake b4 dem tink of anoda pesin. Im happy i have something doing and making money on a daily bases both online and offline. U fit do something legitemate online or offline,i swear u no go broke nor look up to any govt for anytin. grin

You have not contributed to this post mehn, You are totally outside the questioned asked here.

Who really cares about what you do online to make money angry angry
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by kulutempa: 10:46am On Aug 26, 2011
ehie:

Nigerians in general celebrate mediocrity, and i see it all around me not only in governance in the individuals i meet on a daily basis.
My two kobo on this is that when you seek to excel and  continually improve yourself,strive to be better in terms of intellect  and self awareness and not in terms of materialism and avarice.
We believe in conformity,the herd mentality it is pathetic.
We believe in everything the newspaper tells them and are not curious,we don't talk to ourselves,ask ourselves questions,look for solutions instead assign blame because it is much easier to be a critic than an achiever, Nigeria is a very medicore nation,success is actually having money in the bank,being a lawyer or a doctor a politician or a pastor

creativity and innovation is not encouraged,brain stimulation is not encouraged,how many companies ask their staff to brain storm,make presentations?How many young people are encouraged to take creative risks,how many politicians.presidents can talk to the people in mind blowing oratory and not read a dull laborious speech in paper not even with a teleprompter.
Yes we are medicore

Thank you.  Our people are so mentally lazy and risk averse that they prefer the easy path of conventional wisdom rather than the more difficult one of innovation and independent thinking.  You sometimes sense it even on pages of Nairaland when people become aggressive and abusive when they come across  about something different, or radical  which challenges the status quo.  That is essentially why it would be difficult for things to change in Nigeria because even the most well educated ones among us don't like to experiment and explore new ideas which are different from  what they are used to.   The funny thing about life though, is that it is all about change.  If a child does not change and learn to walk, he will continue to crawl for the rest of his life.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by leoebhos(m): 11:23am On Aug 26, 2011
It is alarming, mediocrity is the order of the day in this part of the world. GOD HELP US.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by KnowAll(m): 11:28am On Aug 26, 2011
Bomb Blast in Abuja again Today, that is what mediocrity breeds. Saboteurs, Cultist, and Religious Bigots all vying for attention and a piece of the national cake. May God help us!!
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by Twy: 11:31am On Aug 26, 2011
Many of our cultural upbringing and teachings expects us to respect those with power or those who have climbed social, cultural, religious or economic positions  and most importantly have aged, the fault is that is comes without the requisite support for critical analysis of those members of the social, cultural, religious or economic institutions and the institutions themselves. I had an argument with a salesman, importer or oga in computer village because he was doing big man when he was the only one at the shop when I visited the place, he treated me rudely even I though I was a customer who came with a complaint, we argued and the only thing people said was that he is a big man and I should leave me. The truth is that, in real life outside cyberspace and anonymous forums, this big men are treated with respect no matter how they accumulate wealth, how that wealth benefits society and many are smart nowadays that they watch you to gauge if you recognize their bigmanism and whether you showed genuine respect. So all in all the people are cowed because most are poor and depend on the few economic political, social or cultural institutions headed by the big men to survive, with the big man watching their moves, we remain docile.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by KnowAll(m): 1:24pm On Aug 26, 2011
[b]Can this Governor Junketing all over the place, and I am talking of the Oshun State Governor who has less than N200 Million left after paying the minimum rate, stop travelling abroad. I know tickets are not cheap, and I can bet my last kobo if he ever travels economy class, this kind of travelling expenses not only contribute towards the abysmal pauperization of the people and the populace, it also smacks of wholesome negligence, wastage, abandonment and extreme absenteeism to say the least.

The maladministration in Oshun State is becoming distasteful even to party faithful, I hope light would be seen at the end of the tunnel that would justify all these junketing. Many people are watching what the Governor is doing with an eagle eye; there would be no room for him to manoeuvre if and when the wheat is separated from the chaffs I sincerely hope he knows what he is doing. I pray Aregbesola’s reign in Oshun State would not be another business as usual celebration of Mediocrity already he seems and I may be wrong to be swaying towards mediocrity.[/b]
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by 2CatWoman: 1:41pm On Aug 26, 2011
Twy:

Many of our cultural upbringing and teachings expects us to respect those with power or those who have climbed social, cultural, religious or economic positions and most importantly have aged, the fault is that is comes without the requisite support for critical analysis of those members of the social, cultural, religious or economic institutions and the institutions themselves. I had an argument with a salesman, importer or oga in computer village because he was doing big man when he was the only one at the shop when I visited the place, he treated me rudely even I though I was a customer who came with a complaint, we argued and the only thing people said was that he is a big man and I should leave me. The truth is that, in real life outside cyberspace and anonymous forums, this big men are treated with respect no matter how they accumulate wealth, how that wealth benefits society and many are smart nowadays that they watch you to gauge if you recognize their bigmanism and whether you showed genuine respect. So all in all the people are cowed because most are poor and depend on the few economic political, social or cultural institutions headed by the big men to survive, with the big man watching their moves, we remain docile.
Twy you have said it all. Children are brought up to give unquestioning respect to elders and chieftains, even siblings who may only be 5 years older. Age and position suddenly become tools for possible manipulation and oppression.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Major Oil Theft Occurs At Terminals / Buhari And Jonathan; How They Stand Nationwide / My People Are Useless,my People Are Senseless ,my People Are Indisciplined -buha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.