Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,864 members, 7,802,771 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:14 PM

Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed (2262 Views)

Female Dwarf Who Graduated With 1st Class Sets Internet Ablaze With Photos / He Must Be 1st Class Graduate - Nigerian Lady Lists Qualities Husband Must Have / Lady Who Accommodated Her Unemployed Boyfriend Finds Pants & Condom In The House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by zexy2030(m): 11:45am On Nov 27, 2022
Xmanmax:

Mr man... I am a first class graduate and that is why I quoted you... If you want me to prove it to you.. I will.. Send me a mail...
I live in Ibadan.. If you claim there are good private schools that pay well and are looking for teachers with first class send me their details...
And please, avoid pride
Send a mail, let me have your CV.
Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by Reex12(m): 12:37pm On Nov 27, 2022
squash47:

I'm equally a first class graduate, and I already have a job opening
before my NYSC. Infact, I currently serve in a company where I'm paid 70+ as a corp member.
My point is, you are just unlucky. All you needed to do was to ask for guidance on how to get connected as a first class graduate and stop making fool of your academic prowess.
which course did you study
Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by squash47(m): 12:44pm On Nov 27, 2022
Reex12:
which course did you study
Its not important. What is important is that I don't buy into the reckless generalization that first class graduates are usually left unemployed.

1 Like

Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by Reex12(m): 12:51pm On Nov 27, 2022
squash47:
Its not important. What is important is that I don't buy into the reckless generalization that first class graduates are usually left unemployed.
I asked to know if it's a Stem course and if it's what's gets such offers or any course with a first class jurisdiction
Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by Rolexxxy(f): 12:57pm On Nov 27, 2022
Not very much are unemployed.

1 Like

Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by Gerrard59(m): 1:19pm On Nov 27, 2022
JustPowerApps:
They definitely are employed, they are ranking at the top of the educational block, to get work shouldn't be difficult at all for a first class degree holder even in terrible economy.

The bowl of contention is if they actually end up wealthy. Permanent employment is a bait to poverty most times, they absorb you fully and if you are not smart enough, you may never be able to have a thriving business of yours and I don't think I have heard of a Billionaire employee.

The moment you work permanently in a firm, your chances to make more money will be limited. All you will be thinking of is how to be a good employee while your boss packs the most money

That is not entirely true. Dr Ola on TwitterNG shared stat showing most people build their wealth via paid employment. It is more stable and can last long. To buttress it, there is no country where there are more employers than employees. Una don come again with this una paid employment is bad. And please, don't come with humdrum saying that Nigerians are entrepreneurial. That is not true. Opening POS business is not entrepreneurship. Even in the abroad, Nigerians go for paid employment not starting businesses like other ethnic nationals do. Besides, in a nation with allegedly so many "entrepreneurs", she has the highest number of poor people globally and a persistently high unemployment rate.

https://www.nairaland.com/6390993/dont-relocate-billionaire-nigeria-fantasy

2 Likes

Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by Gerrard59(m): 1:22pm On Nov 27, 2022
squash47:

It is very important. There is no stat to support my claim, but I am ready to bet with my account that there are fewer first-class mathematics graduates compared to those who studied psychology. Today's economy favours grads of numerical courses even if they graduated with a third class. The most lucrative jobs are numeric-oriented, thus, they not only find jobs quickly but get paid the most.

https://www.jarushub.com/getting-good-jobs-why-you-should-learn-mathematics/

3 Likes

Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by Gerrard59(m): 1:32pm On Nov 27, 2022
There are unemployed first-class graduates, but in my opinion, mainly due to poor information, poor communication skills, location, cultural factors, age, poverty (it takes money to travel to aptitude test centres and job interviews) etc. However, what one cannot tell is the figure using per capita basis compared to those who did not graduate with a first class. As a group, first-class graduates are the fewest of all grades and second class lower the highest with third class following. This means in the first place, you would come across few first class graduates, and when you do come across one, the person is likely to be employed or in advanced studies. For instance, many scholars were first class graduates during their bachelor's. I recall a thread that had the picture of OAU's the best engineering graduates and a simple Google search revealed all were employed. One was at ExxonMobil, PwC etc. Some were abroad and so on. Using my circle as an instance, ALL the first-class graduates I know are employed with the vast majority based abroad. None is unemployed.

In my opinion, the unemployed first-class graduates you would see are those who studied humanities-based courses. It would be very rare to see an unemployed first-class computer science or physics graduate in today's world unless for reasons I mentioned earlier. Then again, it is easier to make a first class in a numeric course than in an arts/humanities program. In summary, the percentage of unemployed first class graduates is very low.

3 Likes

Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by Gerrard59(m): 1:42pm On Nov 27, 2022
sacajawea:

Ok, so you are going against the majority
But these jobs they have, is it well paying enough? The example you gave a lecturer in the UNi, starting salary etc. Is it really on par with what they should be earning

LOL!

You don't earn salaries because you graduated with a first class. You might get a job because you graduated with one, but earning high salaries is different. The good thing, however, is that you have higher chances to be employed in a big firm that pays very high salaries. But generally, those are two different things.
Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by Gerrard59(m): 1:45pm On Nov 27, 2022
zexy2030:
Note: not all first class can defend their cert.
Some studied courses not registered by NUC

According to who? A random Zexy2030? Nigeria is corrupt and has her issues, but no school, I dare say will award the grade to someone who is not above average intelligence. Also, please don't come with the mendacious tale that a girl can fvck her way to getting a first class. That too, is impossible. There is a reason it is called CGPA with the C meaning Cumulative.

The issue about NUC is an administrative one not innate brilliance or employment related.

1 Like

Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by Gerrard59(m): 1:48pm On Nov 27, 2022
JustPowerApps:
They definitely are employed, they are ranking at the top of the educational block, to get work shouldn't be difficult at all for a first class degree holder even in terrible economy.

The bowl of contention is if they actually end up wealthy. Permanent employment is a bait to poverty most times, they absorb you fully and if you are not smart enough, you may never be able to have a thriving business of yours and I don't think I have heard of a Billionaire employee.

The moment you work permanently in a firm, your chances to make more money will be limited. All you will be thinking of is how to be a good employee while your boss packs the most money

Two lads graduated even though they come from poor families. One made a first in Physics and got employed by ExxonMobil, the other had a third class and started a trading business. can you please tell me how all things been equal, the lad at ExxonMobil won't out-earn his trading counterpart? I base this strictly on salary earned not investments made by both individuals as that is a subjective aspect.
Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by Gerrard59(m): 1:56pm On Nov 27, 2022
Dybala11:

Chemistry might be hot outside the country sha. I studied chemistry and graduated with a first class, still underemployed o

How many aptitude tests have you written organised by big employers? How many did you ace? How many interviews have you attended? How many did you scale through? What made you fvck up in them? How many jobs have you applied to in general? What is your age range? What skills do you have besides being a first class graduate in chemistry? When did you graduate? Your calibre of university? Where is your location? I asked the location-based question because my then math tutor left Oyo for his state of origin and got paid a low salary. He moved because he got his NYSC girlfriend and had to marry her. Meanwhile, this was one someone who I prepared his CV and cover letter to apply for a job only first-class physics and maths grads were required. This dude graduated with a CGPA of 4.46 in mathematics. But as a CV and cover letter guru, I prepared a b@dass American-styled CV and cover letter for him as he applied to an investment bank in Lagos. He got invited and was the only one with a 2.1. If he had stayed within Oyo where he was paid higher than his present location, I am sure something worthwhile would have come out as the best jobs are located within the South West region.

It is not necessary for you answer them, but those are factors that could be the reasons. Besides, the topic says employed not underemployed. Nigeria's economy generally favours under-employment.

1 Like

Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by sacajawea: 4:39pm On Nov 27, 2022
Dybala11:

Chemistry might be hot outside the country sha. I studied chemistry and graduated with a first class, still underemployed o.
Kikikiilki Lol grin
Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by sacajawea: 4:40pm On Nov 27, 2022
Rolexxxy:
Ok, but the ones Employed, are they gainfully employed? Not fat heavy salaries, but at least a normal salary...
E get why I dey ask o, I dey calculate 2 or 3 things
Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by sacajawea: 4:45pm On Nov 27, 2022
Xmanmax:

Omoh... We're many embarassed :-
First class graduates that are gainfully employed in our current Nigeria are those with Oga at the top cool.. I mean strong connections..
Those with wealthy parents will be sent abroad to continue with their studies..
Majority of others that have means would Japa because they're not appreciated here..
While those without helpers will continue hustling, roaming the streets and looking for any means to survive.. sad sad.. It's so unfortunate[color=#550000][/color]
In all the different categories you mentioned, what is the percentage of the last set of First class that have no Helper...
Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by sacajawea: 4:51pm On Nov 27, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
In Nigeria there are a ton of first class graduates who are unemployed. A few months back on nairaland there was a front page article on a first class mathematics graduate from unn that was teaching and farming in a School in the village.
I know that well. My point is that, what percentage is it. You give your own modest Estimate.
Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by sacajawea: 4:54pm On Nov 27, 2022
squash47:
Get it right, obviously they are not unemployed, the question is how employed are they. Even if you are getting 250k salary, it is small money ohh.
Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by sacajawea: 4:55pm On Nov 27, 2022
Rolexxxy:
Get it right. The point is how do they fare on the long run, considering all that is put into getting that degree in Nigeria.
Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by sacajawea: 4:59pm On Nov 27, 2022
Gerrard59:

Nigeria is corrupt and has her issues,

The issue about NUC is an administrative one not innate brilliance or employment related.
That is another issue. Cos* let's be honest, the percentage of First class holders should be Higher if things are right.
Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by Dybala11(m): 5:31pm On Nov 27, 2022
Gerrard59:

How many aptitude tests have you written organised by big employers? How many did you ace? How many interviews have you attended? How many did you scale through? What made you fvck up in them? How many jobs have you applied to in general? What is your age range? What skills do you have besides being a first class graduate in chemistry? When did you graduate? Your calibre of university? Where is your location? I asked the location-based question because my then math tutor left Oyo for his state of origin and got paid a low salary. He moved because he got his NYSC girlfriend and had to marry her. Meanwhile, this was one someone who I prepared his CV and cover letter to apply for a job only first-class physics and maths grads were required. This dude graduated with a CGPA of 4.46 in mathematics. But as a CV and cover letter guru, I prepared a b@dass American-styled CV and cover letter for him as he applied to an investment bank in Lagos. He got invited and was the only one with a 2.1. If he had stayed within Oyo where he was paid higher than his present location, I am sure something worthwhile would have come out as the best jobs are located within the South West region.

It is not necessary for you answer them, but those are factors that could be the reasons. Besides, the topic says employed not underemployed. Nigeria's economy generally favours under-employment.
I understand your points perfectly bro. But it's quite difficult to realise a lot of goals when you're underemployed. I graduated with a CGPA of 4.78 from LAUTECH.
Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:31pm On Nov 27, 2022
sacajawea:

I know that well. My point is that, what percentage is it. You give your own modest Estimate.

You won't find any percentage estimate for this but a first class is still impressive as it makes getting scholarships easy.

1 Like

Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:32pm On Nov 27, 2022
Gerrard59:

Two lads graduated even though they come from poor families. One made a first in Physics and got employed by ExxonMobil, the other had a third class and started a trading business. can you please tell me how all things been equal, the lad at ExxonMobil won't out-earn his trading counterpart? I base this strictly on salary earned not investments made by both individuals as that is a subjective aspect.

Please mention me when he replies.
Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by Dybala11(m): 5:33pm On Nov 27, 2022
sacajawea:

Kikikiilki Lol grin
I'm serious bro. Hopefully things will fall into place and I'll be able to work towards my career goals.
Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by squash47(m): 6:01pm On Nov 27, 2022
sacajawea:

Get it right, obviously they are not unemployed, the question is how employed are they. Even if you are getting 250k salary, it is small money ohh.
Well, a first class graduate who expects to earn more, should apply his first class knowledge to improve the profit of the organization so that they can meet up to his expected salary level.
Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by Deasegun19(m): 6:56pm On Nov 27, 2022
Good day everyone.
My prayer to escape poverty this year is for someone to buy motorcycle (okada) for me. I want to go into the transportation business.
I will sign any agreement (repayment schedule) .

My very being is tired. Please help me, I need an answer to this prayer. Thank you.

I am a private school teacher looking forward to go into transport biz.

my location is Omu-aran kwara.
Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by Gerrard59(m): 5:32am On Nov 28, 2022
sacajawea:

How much do you make currently? How much do you think firms in certain industries should pay graduates at entry level? Why do you think 250K is too small for a company to pay entry-level staff in Nigeria? Why do you believe the Nigerian economy can accommodate fat salaries paid to fresh graduates since 250K is small to you? Or do you have the notion that all industries are equal and, thus, must pay the same amount to fresh graduates? Why do you believe a first class graduate should earn higher simply because of the grade and not value-added, especially as a fresh graduate?

1 Like

Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by Gerrard59(m): 5:36am On Nov 28, 2022
sacajawea:

That is another issue. COA let's be honest, the percentage of First class holders should be Higher if things are right.

Percentage of first class graduates across all institutions or percentage of gainfully employed first-class graduates? There is no data to show how many first-class graduates Nigerian institutions have churned out in recent years, so how do we get that of those who are gainfully employed?

Like I earlier stated, using OAU's BGS in engineering, first class graduates are employed and gainfully employed if need be. See the thread I mentioned earlier: https://www.nairaland.com/3313286/cgpa-oau-best-graduating-engineering

Judge for yourself.
Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by sacajawea: 5:59am On Nov 28, 2022
Gerrard59:

Percentage of first class graduates across all institutions or percentage of gainfully employed first-class graduates? There is no data to show how many first-class graduates Nigerian institutions have churned out in recent years, so how do we get that of those who are gainfully employed?

Like I earlier stated, using OAU's BGS in engineering, first class graduates are employed and gainfully employed if need be. See the thread I mentioned earlier: https://www.nairaland.com/3313286/cgpa-oau-best-graduating-engineering

Judge for yourself.
I meant originally those with first class degrees from school, Nigerian uni, professors and department factor too is there. A lot of 2:1, actually should be first class honours... That's what I'm saying, Not the employment part.
I just highlighted that from your reply to that guy
Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by Gerrard59(m): 6:01am On Nov 28, 2022
sacajawea:

I meant originally those with first class degrees from school, Nigerian uni, professors and department factor too is there. A lot of 2:1, actually should be first class honours... That's what I'm saying, Not the employment part.
I just highlighted that from your reply to that guy

You have a point there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by sacajawea: 6:01am On Nov 28, 2022
Gerrard59:

How much do you make currently? How much do you think firms in certain industries should pay graduates at entry level? Why do you think 250K is too small for a company to pay entry-level staff in Nigeria? Why do you believe the Nigerian economy can accommodate fat salaries paid to fresh graduates since 250K is small to you? Or do you have the notion that all industries are equal and, thus, must pay the same amount to fresh graduates? Why do you believe a first class graduate should earn higher simply because of the grade and not value-added, especially as a fresh graduate?
Ok, this is a very long talk, and i can't start explaining that now, but that's just my opinion.
My attitude to money, I feel 150k to 200k is not that okay. Especially after working for a year.
Also considering how Naira is falling daily. So 250k I would say is okay
But what I meant is 100 to 150k too 200k is not okay ooh.
Enter alaba, boy of 22 years dey see more than that money after 3 to 4 years inside market.
And the amount of work, training mental load, money spent is not the same.

And yes, I earn more than that a month
Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by Gerrard59(m): 6:08am On Nov 28, 2022
sacajawea:

Ok, this is a very long talk, and i can't start explaining that now, but that's just my opinion.
My attitude to money, I feel 150k to 200k is not that okay. Especially after working for a year.
Also considering how Naira is falling daily. So 250k I would say is okay
But what I meant is 100 to 150k too 200k is not okay ooh.
Enter alaba, boy of 22 years dey see more than that money after 3 to 4 years inside market.
And the amount of work, training mental load, money spent is not the same.

And yes, I earn more than that a month

That is an entirely different case from entry-level. Obviously, there will be promotions and bonuses. Alternatively, you move to a higher-paying firm. Alaba Boy of 22 years dey see more than that after training for seven years plus. Then again, there would be more employees than Alaba Boys in any society. You cannot compare yourself to a business person. In the end, if you don't like how much you are paid, kindly resign, set up your company and pay yourself very high salaries.

That is the beauty of capitalism.

1 Like

Re: Are 1st Class Graduates Unemployed Too, What % Is Gainfully Employed by Premiumwriter: 6:42am On Nov 28, 2022
sacajawea:

Ok, so you are going against the majority
But these jobs they have, is it well paying enough? The example you gave a lecturer in the UNi, starting salary etc. Is it really on par with what they should be earning
the point is they have offers.

It's always an advantage to be first class. It doesn't matter if there's job or no job.

The point is, they will almost always be the first option when there's an opening.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Love is More Than Feelings and Emotions / If The Wrong Guy Proposes To You 'right'-ur Reaction? / Am I Cursed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.