Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,152 members, 7,807,509 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:30 PM

Why Ronaldo Should Not Celebrate His New Record - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Ronaldo Should Not Celebrate His New Record (497 Views)

Ronaldo Should Protests If Messi Win This Year Baloon Do Or / Iheanacho, Ndidi Celebrate His Premier League Player Of The Month Award (Photos) / Do You Think C. Ronaldo Should Be Rested After This New Look. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Ronaldo Should Not Celebrate His New Record by touchalex25: 11:07am On Nov 26, 2022
Portugal took on Ghana (earlier tonight) in a Group H encounter at the on going FIFA World Cup in Qatar. The game was a keenly contested affair but the Selecao eventually came off with a 3-2 victory thanks to goals from Cristiano Ronaldo Joao Felix and Rafael Leao

Ronaldo’s goal in the 65th minute came from the spot kick the center referee pointing to the spot when the Portuguese captain went down from a challenge from Ghanaian defender Mohammed Salisu (a decision that is quite debatable if you ask me, why the referee choose not to consult VAR in this case still baffles me). Ronaldo stepped up and duly converted the penalty and by so doing he became the first player the score in five different World Cups also taking him one goals past arch rival Lionel Messi who had just equaled Ronaldo on 7 goals in their 3-1 defeat to Saudi Arabi. (Some GOAT they are, a total of 15 goals at the World Cup from two players the football world claim to be the greatest players to ever play the beautiful game)

The intent has been buzzing with Ronaldo becoming the first player to score in five different world cups, yet another Ronaldo broken by the serial record breaker; he’s set two new records today alone at the World Cup becoming the youngest and oldest goal scorer at the World Cup for Portugal. Even at the time of writing Ronaldo trending worldwide on Twitter and expected GOAT shouts had resumed for the five time Ballon D’or winner not that it ever ended if I’m being honest.

It’s a huge feat to score a goal at the World Cup no one can dispute that but for a player of Ronaldo’s caliber I think probably the world is again giving him too much praise for something that might not be a worthy achievement if duly considered. If anything Ronaldo’s goal stats at the World Cup are that of an average striker I mean he has just two (2) World Cup goals more than Asamoah Gyan of Ghana and Gyan only played in 3 World cups.

I know how dare me mention almighty Ronaldo and Gyan in the same sentence- sorry my lords and ladies but before you crucify me allow this lowly peasant defend himself perhaps after me take a critical look at the the stats behind this Ronaldo’s new record and maybe you might agree with me that rather than cementing his status as a football GOAT what this new record actually does is question if he should even be in the GOAT debate at all (he and that his fellow World Cup bottler from Argentina; I heard the Saudi fans are still looking for him all over Qatar)

t’s taken Ronaldo five different world cups to reach 8 World Cup goals([b]of Ronaldo’s 8 World Cup goals 3 has been from the spot kick remove those 3 penalty goals and even Asamoah Gyan still has more goals than our GOAT[\b]) that is an average of 1.6 goals per World Cup that is a very poor goal return for someone of Ronaldo’s goal scoring ability I mean the footballing world see him as the goal machine.

Kylian Mbappe is only 23 and just a game into his second World Cup he is already on 5 World Cup goals. Thomas Muller is already on 10 World Cup goals. So before you go celebrating and talking about Ronaldo being a GOAT for scoring 8 goals in about 20years (2002-2022) you should ask yourself if this stats does justice to his claim as football GOAT.

Ronaldo Dilemma( the original Ronaldo o) has the same number of World Cup goals as Messi and Cristiano combined and he played just four World Cups. The real Ronaldo has two World Cup trophies took his country to 3 different World Cup finals. Ronaldo and Messi combined has only made it to one World Cup final.

WHERE DOES RONALDO STAND AMONGST THE GREATS IN WORLD CUP GOALS

Miroslav Klose of Germany with 16 goals is the player with most World Cup goals closely followed by Ronaldo (the real one) with 15 goals only one (1) of his 15 goals came from a penalty. Third on the list is Gerd Muller who managed 14 goals from 13 World Cup appearances[\b] also only one of his 14 goals was from a spot kick. [b]Pele had 12 goals and none of this 12 goals was from the penalty kick. Maradona managed 8 goals all from open play. None of these World Cup great scorers had to wait till their 5th World Cup to score their 8 goal from a soft penalty against Ghana�

If football was Tennis the the grand slam will be the equivalent of the World Cup would you consider Roger Federer a tennis great if he never won a grand slam.

If football was athletics the Olympics will be the equivalent of the World Cup would Usain Bolt still be an athletic great if he never won an Olympic Gold. Enough off the GOAT shout for these two as it stands now if by the end of this World Cup and neither of them can lay hands on the World Cup trophy then they should never ever- ever be mentioned in the breath as Maradona, Pele Ronaldo ( again the original one from Brazil��) or Zidane again. I can never Stan a champion with no Grand Slam.

Source: https://www.alexbanter.com/2022/11/why-ronaldo-shouldnt-celebrate-his-new.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: Why Ronaldo Should Not Celebrate His New Record by Biafranodogwu55: 1:28pm On Nov 26, 2022
75 % true

They both(messi and cr7) are equally on same level with Luka modric and thiago silva if going by ur world cup basis just that they have got insane records......
Re: Why Ronaldo Should Not Celebrate His New Record by Mryacks: 2:14pm On Nov 26, 2022
Ronaldo da Lima is the greatest world cup striker!

1 Like

Re: Why Ronaldo Should Not Celebrate His New Record by touchalex25: 8:48pm On Nov 26, 2022
Biafranodogwu55:
75 % true

They both(messi and cr7) are equally on same level with Luka modric and thiago silva if going by ur world cup basis just that they have got insane records......
they haven’t really delivered at the world cups if we are to be honest

(1) (Reply)

The King Of Soccer Pelé Hospitalized In Sao Paulo, Brazil(photos) / To Win 295k And 433k These Are The Remaining Games / Man United Vs Aston Villa 3-2 Highlights (download Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.