Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,480 members, 7,808,751 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:22 PM

U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters (15668 Views)

White House Weighs Three-Way Deal To Get Fighter Jets To Ukraine / China Used Microwave Weapon To ‘Cook’ Indian Troops In Himalayan Border Battle / Sri Lankan Easter Attacks Were Revenge For New Zealand Mosque Attack - Reuters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by Teaser4(m): 11:02am On Nov 28, 2022
WASHINGTON, Nov 28 (Reuters) - The Pentagon is considering a Boeing proposal to supply Ukraine with cheap, small precision bombs fitted onto abundantly available rockets, allowing Kyiv to strike far behind Russian lines as the West struggles to meet demand for more arms.

U.S. and allied military inventories are shrinking, and Ukraine faces an increasing need for more sophisticated weapons as the war drags on. Boeing's proposed system, dubbed Ground-Launched Small Diameter Bomb (GLSDB), is one of about a half-dozen plans for getting new munitions into production for Ukraine and America's Eastern European allies, industry sources said.

GLSDB could be delivered as early as spring 2023, according to a document reviewed by Reuters and three people familiar with the plan. It combines the GBU-39 Small Diameter Bomb (SDB) with the M26 rocket motor, both of which are common in U.S. inventories

Doug Bush, the U.S. Army's chief weapons buyer, told reporters at the Pentagon last week the Army was also looking at accelerating production of 155 millimeter artillery shells - currently only manufactured at government facilities - by allowing defense contractors to build them.

The invasion of Ukraine drove up demand for American-made weapons and ammunition, while U.S. allies in Eastern Europe are "putting a lot of orders," in for a range of arms as they supply Ukraine, Bush added.

"It's about getting quantity at a cheap cost," said Tom Karako, a weapons and security expert at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. He said falling U.S. inventories help explain the rush to get more arms now, saying stockpiles are "getting low relative to the levels we like to keep on hand and certainly to the levels we're going to need to deter a China conflict."

Karako also noted that the U.S. exit from Afghanistan left lots of air-dropped bombs available. They cannot be easily used with Ukrainian aircraft, but "in today's context we should be looking for innovative ways to convert them to standoff capability."

Although a handful of GLSDB units have already been made, there are many logistical obstacles to formal procurement. The Boeing plan requires a price discovery waiver, exempting the contractor from an in-depth review that ensures the Pentagon is getting the best deal possible. Any arrangement would also require at least six suppliers to expedite shipments of their parts and services to produce the weapon quickly.

A Boeing spokesperson declined to comment. Pentagon spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Tim Gorman declined to comment on providing any "specific capability" to Ukraine, but said the U.S. and its allies "identify and consider the most appropriate systems" that would help Kyiv.

Although the United States has rebuffed requests for the 185-mile (297km) range ATACMS missile, the GLSDB's 94-mile (150km) range would allow Ukraine to hit valuable military targets that have been out of reach and help it continue pressing its counterattacks by disrupting Russian rear areas.

GLSDB is made jointly by SAAB AB (SAABb.ST) and Boeing Co (BA.N) and has been in development since 2019, well before the invasion, which Russia calls a "special operation". In October, SAAB chief executive Micael Johansson said of the GLSDB: "We are imminently shortly expecting contracts on that."

According to the document - a Boeing proposal to U.S. European Command (EUCOM), which is overseeing weapons headed to Ukraine - the main components of the GLSDB would come from current U.S. stores.

The M26 rocket motor is relatively abundant, and the GBU-39 costs about $40,000 each, making the completed GLSDB inexpensive and its main components readily available. Although arms manufacturers are struggling with demand, those factors make it possible to yield weapons by early 2023, albeit at a low rate of production.

GLSDB is GPS-guided, can defeat some electronic jamming, is usable in all weather conditions, and can be used against armored vehicles, according to SAAB's website. The GBU-39 - which would function as the GLSDB's warhead - has small, folding wings that allow it to glide more than 100km if dropped from an aircraft and targets as small as 3 feet in diameter.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/100-mile-strike-weapon-weighed-ukraine-arms-makers-wrestle-with-demand-sources-2022-11-28/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by God1000(m): 11:03am On Nov 28, 2022
Very needless and senseless war orchestrated by Vladimir Putin

Crazy Putin will stop the air bombardment knowing full well that Ukraine can hit russian soil.

Putin has already lost this war, he's been humiliated.

The use of nuclear, chemical or biological weapons is off the table because there will be retaliation from NATO and that will be the end of Russia.

This is the most foolish war in modern history.
The invasion of Ukraine has become counterproductive, today Finland and Sweden have joined the NATO military alliance and that has extended NATO more closer to Russia.

60 Likes 9 Shares

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by Thortp(m): 11:04am On Nov 28, 2022
A needless war if you ask me

18 Likes

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by Quelme: 11:10am On Nov 28, 2022
NATO just indirectly admitted their failed policy in Ukraine.

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by Odward(m): 12:20pm On Nov 28, 2022
Very good, all these little help in return for something hooge we sabi US before no be todaygrin

6 Likes

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by iHateFraudsters: 12:21pm On Nov 28, 2022
Ok.

Let's see who blinks first

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by Reporting34(f): 12:21pm On Nov 28, 2022
Please everyone don't mind this fraudsters Anthony okeke is back with a full forces to continue scamming Nairaland people with the same format he has always been using, so just check the format oloriburuku man is still using to defraud a lot of people's here on Nairaland just be aware not to be scam

Please dear everyone, please forgive me for posting this, if I can help myself I won't be begging. I am seeking assistance from well meaning Nigerians to help save my life. Please sirs and ma's, my name is Faith , am a 26 years old single mom of 1. My son is just 2 years old. I used to be a hairdresser before my present predicament. In August of 2021 I fell very sick and was rush to the hospital by my neighbour. Doctor said that I will have to be admitted because by the time that they have prescribed several drugs for me, my hands and both of my legs has developed rashes and started to swell up. The swelling got worst and more severe as time went by, eventually leading to multiple skin ulcers. Preliminary results shows that I was diagnosed with blood infection. I also urgently require prolonged sore Management with Vacuum Assisted Closure Device and skin graft to help regain my normal life again but unfortunately I can't treat myself because I don't have enough on me. Doctor said the procedure will require 1.3million Naira to give me my life back and so far I've been able to raise only 300 thousand with the help of my friends and some kind hearted well wishers who have taken pity for me in the past few months. Pleas sirs and ma's, am an orphan both my parents are late. I have been trying every possible best to raise the remainder to no avail. I don't have any property to sell again and I cannot work in this my condition pls I beg of you, I can't even look after my 2 years old son, that's why am pleading with any well meaning person pls

Don't even send a penny to this fraudsters

6 Likes

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by seanwilliam(m): 12:21pm On Nov 28, 2022
Like for USA share for russia

25 Likes 56 Shares

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by Umsworld: 12:21pm On Nov 28, 2022
There are no winners in any war Just LOSSERS AND BIGGER LOSSERS

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by Reporting34(f): 12:21pm On Nov 28, 2022
Quelme:

1 Like

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by Nobody: 12:21pm On Nov 28, 2022
USA playing with fire.

10 Likes

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by Eriokanmi: 12:22pm On Nov 28, 2022
If they wish to, nobody would say pim and nothing would happen. Putin would only rant as usual and shut his mouth.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by sofeo(m): 12:22pm On Nov 28, 2022
Oooops.

They strike for peace plz.
Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by WIZGUY69(m): 12:22pm On Nov 28, 2022
Yes! They should continue sending weapons to that foool of a president. To keep killing their people. Only comedians believe that the western world mean well for them grin

10 Likes

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by pansophist(m): 12:23pm On Nov 28, 2022
US is the biggest slaughterer of Ukraine. If they stop equipping Ukraine, the war would have been over long ago, but they would rather fight to the last Ukrainian, watch the country burn to ashes, just to see if they can bring Russia down. Good luck with that.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by Moh247: 12:23pm On Nov 28, 2022
grin

I just hope Zelensky isn't diverting all this weapons being supplied to him

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by Fragility6: 12:23pm On Nov 28, 2022
God1000:
Supported, crazy Putin will stop the air bombardment knowing full well that Ukraine can hit russian soil
U sha know if Ukraine try am, the war escalates further?

12 Likes

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by frankson1(m): 12:24pm On Nov 28, 2022
Weapons that will be destroyed by the Russian military undecided

Bombing and destruction in Ukraine is still on going and you guys are only considering building rocket carrying bombs undecided

12 Likes

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by humberjade: 12:24pm On Nov 28, 2022
These people are just looking for means to escalate this war...something a sincere dialogue would de-escalate.

I don't know what the US have over all these European leaders that makes them always dance to the tune of the US. I mean, if this thing actually escalates, Europe will be the main battleground, in fact, one missile might not hit the American soil.

Wisdom is profitable to direct.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by ruggedtimi(m): 12:25pm On Nov 28, 2022
Odward:
Very good, all these little help in return for something hooge we sabi US before no be todaygrin
you call it little help?
Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by pansophist(m): 12:25pm On Nov 28, 2022
God1000:

Crazy Putin will stop the air bombardment knowing full well that Ukraine can hit russian soil.

Putin has already lost this war, he's been humiliated

If I allow my little brother win a hand wrestle challenge, does it mean I have been humiliated? When will you realise that Russia's soft-gloves treatment is not weakness?

17 Likes

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by Eriokanmi: 12:26pm On Nov 28, 2022
Fragility6:

U sha know if Ukraine try am, the war escalates further?
Ukraine had suffered enough. Afterall, the latter keeps pulling them back. Their recent victory in the Russian occupied region is a proof. Putin should engage USA or Japan, if they're truly powerful, not a hepless country like Ukraine.

6 Likes

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by Tboymessiah(m): 12:26pm On Nov 28, 2022
NasoLifeBe!!!

When will African send their own, patapata e go be Catapult

1 Like

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by Lukuluku69(m): 12:26pm On Nov 28, 2022
Send all in. Throw everything at Russia bar the Nuke.

The Military Industrial Complex needs more money to fund more Research to produce more dangerous weapons.

In all of this, the Innocent ordinary men and women folks on both side are the one to suffer for it while some people stoking this smile to the Bank.

And when the War stops, they still win the Contracts for the Rebuilding.

A Win-Win for some and Lose-Lose for some.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by GenerationNext: 12:27pm On Nov 28, 2022
Quelme:
Chai see comment! grin grin grin Delusion grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by Houseofglam7(f): 12:28pm On Nov 28, 2022
lipsrsealed
Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by Mpcoll001: 12:28pm On Nov 28, 2022
Toor!

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by LandMann: 12:29pm On Nov 28, 2022
God1000:

Putin has already lost this war, he's been humiliated.

The use of nuclear weapon is off the table because that will be the end of Russia.

Du bist ein arshloch....sehr dumm

1 Like

Re: U.S. Weighs Sending 100-Mile Strike Weapon To Ukraine - Reuters by Constablepatr: 12:29pm On Nov 28, 2022
The defeat on UKRAINE swill bring shame to NATO and it allies that’s why they need to break there savings to weaponize Ukraine but already he’s defeat sending weapon now is just a source of reconciliation for NATO. Russia did a good calculation it’s winter already most NATOS don dey feel am. I will detest anyone that’s unpatriotic to his country and people. That’s what UKRAINE is doing

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Bush Reports Mandela's "Death" / Nana Akufo-Addo Sworn In As President Of Ghana / Horrific Photos Of ISIS Atrocities How They Behead Christian Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.