Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,852 members, 7,806,414 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:05 PM

Goodness To One's Neighbors - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Goodness To One's Neighbors (3541 Views)

Two Things That Bring Goodness And Prevent Evils / Noise Pollution, Loud Speakers And The Neighbors 2 (LASEPA GUIDELINES) / The Reward For Goodness To Others. #deenmylife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Goodness To One's Neighbors by Lukgaf(m): 7:38am On Dec 02, 2022
Islam recognises the fact that man is a social being whose interaction with those around him is inevitable since human beings live in communities. Allah Ta’ala has placed certain rights and responsibilities over us to enable us to live in peace and harmony. Some people enjoy certain rights by virtue of blood relations like parents, spouses and relatives, while others merely by their location like neighbours.

Nabi Sallallaahu Alaihi wasallam has urged the kind treatment of neighbours to such an extent that his companions thought that the neighbour would be entitled to inheritance. This is not surprising as Nabi Sallallaahu Alaihi wasallam himself is reported to have said, “Jibraeel Alaihis Salaam continued advising me about the kind treatment of neighbours until I thought that he would include neighbours as heirs.” (Bukhari)

Islam advocates kindness to neighbours even if they be adherents of another faith and followers of a different religion. Once Abdullah bin Umar slaughtered a sheep. He made sure that his slave sent a portion of the meat to their Jewish neighbour in keeping with the sublime teachings of Nabi Sallallaahu Alaihi wasallam. (Bukhari)

Being indifferent to one’s neighbour and being inconsiderate about their welfare has been cited as a sign of deficiency of ones Imaan. Nabi Sallallaahu Alaihi wasallam has said:
“He does not believe in me, the one who eats to his fill while his neighbour is hungry and he knows about it”. (Tabarani)

While sitting with his companions one day, Nabi Sallallaahu Alaihi wasallam is reported to have exclaimed “By Allah, he is not a believer, By Allah he is not a believer, By Allah, he is not a believer!” The Companions enquired “Who, O Prophet of Allah?” He replied “The one whose neighbour is not safe from his evil” (Bukhari)

From these teachings it is evident that Islam teaches us to be sensitive to the needs of those around us, to be aware of their hardships and difficulties and to be receptive to their cries for help.

What then should we be doing for our neighbours?

Provide assistance when required, visit them when they are sick, congratulate them in their moments of joy and happiness, console them when they are troubled and distressed, counsel them to that which is beneficial, refrain from publicising their shortcomings, avoid erecting buildings on your property that may cause inconvenience to them denying him access to fresh air.

The ill treatment of neighbours could deny one entry into Paradise.

Nabi Sallallaahu Alaihi wasallam was asked, “O Messenger of Allah, such and such woman spends her nights in prayer, fasts during the day and she gives charity, but she offends her neighbours with her sharp tongue. Nabi Sallallaahu Alaihi wasallam replied, “Her good deeds are of no avail, She is among the dwellers of Hell. They said, “So and so prays the obligatory prayers gives charity in the form of left over curds, but does not offend anyone. Nabi Sallallaahu Alaihi wasallam replied, “She is among the dwellers of Paradise”. (Bukhari)

How valuable are you to those in your neighbourhood?

It is reported that the neighbour of Said bin al ’Aas wanted to sell his house. When the prospective buyer offered him 100 000 dirhams, his neighbour remarked, “You are paying me 100 000 dirhams for the house, How much are you willing to pay for having Sa’id as a neighbour?” Sa’id was so pleased that his neighbour valued him so much that he gave him the money and asked him not to sell his home.

May Allah Ta’ala give us the Tawfeeq to fulfill the rights of our neighbours and save us from neglecting them, Aameen

https://jamiat.org.za/by-allah-he-is-not-a-believer-2/

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Goodness To One's Neighbors by Bintdawood(f): 8:02am On Dec 02, 2022
Lukgaf:

*Gabriel kept on recommending me about treating the neighbors in a kind and polite manner, so much so that I thought that he would order (me) to make them (my) heirs."*

Sahih al-Bukhari 6015

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Goodness To One's Neighbors by merits(m): 12:41pm On Dec 09, 2022
equote author=Lukgaf post=118838068].

[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Goodness To One's Neighbors by DennisEche(m): 12:48pm On Dec 09, 2022
Can you Practice what you preach?

2 Likes

Re: Goodness To One's Neighbors by ObiLamba: 1:25pm On Dec 09, 2022
What if the neigbhour is a christian

1 Like

Re: Goodness To One's Neighbors by Sirseedorf(m): 1:47pm On Dec 09, 2022
Either christian or traditionalist threat them well, be kind to them, remember your neighbor are your family when you shout "help me, Ara adugbo help me ooo". Before your immediate family are called.

Lucky Dube on sang " good to the people on your way up the ladder cause you need them on your way down.

Allahu Akbar, jumah Mubarak.....

2 Likes

Re: Goodness To One's Neighbors by Mccullum: 1:51pm On Dec 09, 2022
That's the what Islam taught us to be doing to our neighbours irrespective of their religion. Allahu akbar.

1 Like

Re: Goodness To One's Neighbors by chillychill(f): 3:17pm On Dec 09, 2022
ObiLamba:
What if the neigbhour is a christian

Even if he or she is an idol worshiper you have to be kind to them, be there when they need you. Because they are the first ppl that will be there before your extended family when u need ppl too

5 Likes

Re: Goodness To One's Neighbors by ObiLamba: 3:31pm On Dec 09, 2022
chillychill:

Even if he or she is an idol worshiper you have to be kind to them, be there when they need you. Because they are the first ppl that will be there before your extended family when u need ppl too
Can you provide a verse where this can be found in the holy Quran?
Re: Goodness To One's Neighbors by Arespect10: 3:42pm On Dec 09, 2022
Even if he didn't provide a single verse in the Holy Qur'an just know that prophet Muhammad (S.A.W) did the same by showing a kindness to his neighbouring unbelievers. He was trusted, cherished and loved by them
ObiLamba:

1 Like

Re: Goodness To One's Neighbors by ObiLamba: 3:53pm On Dec 09, 2022
Arespect10:
Even if he didn't provide a single verse in the Holy Qur'an just know that prophet Muhammad (S.A.W) did the same by showing a kindness to his neighbouring unbelievers. He was trusted, cherished and loved by them

Do you want to help him by giving me just one verse where the holy Quran encourages us to be kind to unbelievers?
Re: Goodness To One's Neighbors by thedio(m): 4:18pm On Dec 09, 2022
ObiLamba:

Quran 4vs36
Allah The Almighty Says (what means): {Worship Allah and associate nothing with Him, and to parents do good, and to relatives, orphans, the needy, the near neighbor, the neighbor farther away, the companion at your side…} [

2 Likes

Re: Goodness To One's Neighbors by chillychill(f): 4:51pm On Dec 09, 2022
thedio:

Quran 4vs36
Allah The Almighty Says (what means): {Worship Allah and associate nothing with Him, and to parents do good, and to relatives, orphans, the needy, the near neighbor, the neighbor farther away, the companion at your side…} [

Jazakumllahu khayran

@obilamba i think ur question has been answered here

2 Likes

Re: Goodness To One's Neighbors by Hassanmaye(m): 5:59pm On Dec 09, 2022
Re: Goodness To One's Neighbors by Unclesamo(m): 6:03pm On Dec 09, 2022
ObiLamba:
They will still provide a verse where beheading you can be justified.
Those people need a separate planet

1 Like

Re: Goodness To One's Neighbors by tolufase: 6:08pm On Dec 09, 2022
Unclesamo:

They will still provide a verse where beheading you can be justified.

Those people need a separate planet

You must be stupid for this comment.

1 Like

Re: Goodness To One's Neighbors by Amoto94(m): 9:16am On Dec 11, 2022
ObiLamba:

Do you want to help him by giving me just one verse where the holy Quran encourages us to be kind to unbelievers?
Allāh does not forbid you—with respect to those who do not fight you because of religion and who do not expel you from your homes—from being kind towards them and behaving justly with them. Indeed, Allāh loves those who act justly. Quran 60:8

(1) (Reply)

Calling To The Unity Of The Mulim Ummah. / Why Qur'an Alone? 2.0 / All You Need To Know About Eid Prayer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.