Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,609 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:07 PM

Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) (2020 Views)

What's The Cost Of Obtaining An International Passport In Nigeria? / Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 / Countries Your Nigerian Passport Can Get You Into Visa-free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by IjeBos(m): 6:33pm On Dec 02, 2022
My Nigerian passport is expiring early next year. I think there is a rule that your passport needs 6 month validity to travel. Planning on trip after the election, so need to get it done soon.

1.)Does anyone know if the NIN is ACTUALLY required to renew the passport in the US?
2.) If so, can I do the NIN the same time I do my passport? (I don't live in NY, so don't want to make multiple trips to the NY embassy).
3.) There was some Nigerian officials doing NIN registration in my city. Last time they were here, the Nigerian servers were supposedly down. I opted not to do the application then since the servers were down. I assumed they just wanted to make sure they collected the money ($70 if I'm not wrong) and wasn't sure once they did, the application would be processed.
3.) When I last checked the 10 year passports weren't available yet, does anyone know if they really are now? The website says they are.

I know the website answers some of these, but since I'm dealing with Nigerian stuff so thought first hand experience would be better. TIA
Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by Iolo(m): 8:25pm On Dec 02, 2022
You need the NIN to renew. Also, it needs to be ready before you can do capturing at the embassy. Trying calling the guys in NY to see if they do same day NIN - I very much doubt this but worth a try. Usually your NIN needs to also be verified in Nigeria before immigration lets you proceed with the passport renewal application.
Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by IjeBos(m): 8:59pm On Dec 02, 2022
Iolo:
You need the NIN to renew. Also, it needs to be ready before you can do capturing at the embassy. Trying calling the guys in NY to see if they do same day NIN - I very much doubt this but worth a try. Usually your NIN needs to also be verified in Nigeria before immigration lets you proceed with the passport renewal application.

Yeah, reaching someone at that embassy is a job in its own. I did start the renewal process online and your right, you need the NIN to actually get the appointment. I'm going to reach out to the guy who came to my city and see when they are coming back. This process should be easier. Thanks, appreciated.

Edit, I hate to do it, but wondering if a VISA would be more efficient. And then sorting the passport and NIN out when I land.
Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by Iolo(m): 12:45am On Dec 03, 2022
You can actually enter nigeria with an expired passport. According to the new policy. I can’t guarantee immigration won’t hassle you though. But I’ve heard a few people do that and sort their passport when they land. The choice is yours.

2 Likes

Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by IjeBos(m): 3:37am On Dec 03, 2022
Iolo:
You can actually enter nigeria with an expired passport. According to the new policy. I can’t guarantee immigration won’t hassle you though. But I’ve heard a few people do that and sort their passport when they land. The choice is yours.

Hmm.. I think the US side is supposed to check if you have a valid passport/visa before letting you on the plane. If it were just the Nigerian immigration, I would do it, but not sure I want to buy a ticket and not be let on the US flight. But let me look into it more. Thanks for the info and options.

1 Like

Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by youngsahito(m): 7:37am On Dec 03, 2022
IjeBos:
My Nigerian passport is expiring early next year. I think there is a rule that your passport needs 6 month validity to travel. Planning on trip after the election, so need to get it done soon.

1.)Does anyone know if the NIN is ACTUALLY required to renew the passport in the US?
2.) If so, can I do the NIN the same time I do my passport? (I don't live in NY, so don't want to make multiple trips to the NY embassy).
3.) There was some Nigerian officials doing NIN registration in my city. Last time they were here, the Nigerian servers were supposedly down. I opted not to do the application then since the servers were down. I assumed they just wanted to make sure they collected the money ($70 if I'm not wrong) and wasn't sure once they did, the application would be processed.
3.) When I last checked the 10 year passports weren't available yet, does anyone know if they really are now? The website says they are.

I know the website answers some of these, but since I'm dealing with Nigerian stuff so thought first hand experience would be better. TIA
we have a company in USA that can enroll you for NIN.

1 Like

Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by IjeBos(m): 2:48pm On Dec 03, 2022
youngsahito:

Thanks, I just got in contact with the person who was here a couple months back.
Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by TWoods(m): 4:51pm On Dec 03, 2022
IjeBos:

Yeah, reaching someone at that embassy is a job in its own. I did start the renewal process online and your right, you need the NIN to actually get the appointment. I'm going to reach out to the guy who came to my city and see when they are coming back. This process should be easier. Thanks, appreciated.

Edit, I hate to do it, but wondering if a VISA would be more efficient. And then sorting the passport and NIN out when I land.

Did you look into the visa process? How easy is it? My passport has also expired and having to get a NIN before renewing is looking like a daunting task.

1 Like

Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by IjeBos(m): 5:13pm On Dec 03, 2022
TWoods:

Did you look into the visa process? How easy is it? My passport has also expired and having to get a NIN before renewing is looking like a daunting task.

Not fully yet. Just started the process. Maybe someone else can weigh in on the following
1.) Do I have to actually go the the NY Embassy to get the Visa.
2.) Can I actually leave the US without a valid Nigerian Visa/Passport (unfortunately, paying someone at the Nigerian airport is probably the easiest option).
3.) How the Visa on Demand option works. I think I could qualify for it.

Having to go to NY two times has both a time and money cost, that would make it impractical.
Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by AGT007: 6:13pm On Dec 06, 2022
Is it okay to just go to the embassy for passport renewal on a day I don't have appointment? I got appointment for December 20 but do not want to wait till that day.
Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by IjeBos(m): 6:19pm On Dec 06, 2022
AGT007:
Is it okay to just go to the embassy for passport renewal on a day I don't have appointment? I got appointment for December 20 but do not want to wait till that day.

I have gone on a day outside my appointment time and did get it done. Can't recall if I called in before hand or even if they gave me a hard time about it. And not sure what the system is now. Call them.
Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by IjeBos(m): 6:34pm On Dec 06, 2022
I did get a hold of someone at the Embassy. Below is a summation of the info I was given.

1.) The NIN cannot be done the same day as the passport renewal. The NIN has to be done first.
2.) It is possible to fly to Nigeria with an expired passport. The rep. suggested I call the airline to see if they will fly me without a valid passport. This part is the trickiest. I think the problem is that airlines are required to fly you back if you are not allowed entry in a foreign country. So it is a risk for airlines to fly travelers without entry documents.
3.) She also suggested I can get apply for an emergency travel document that I can give to the airlines.

I'm going to reach out to Delta to understand their policy so I can understand the easiest path.
Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by IjeBos(m): 7:23pm On Dec 06, 2022
Iolo:

You were absolutely right. Reached out to the Embassy and then Delta to confirm. You can enter with an expired passport. The Nigerian immigration said it has to be a 10 year passport. But, not sure how they would expect airline agents to know the difference. I'll be at the airport in a couple of days and I'll just drop by a Delta International agent to triple check. Thanks again for the help.

https://ng.usembassy.gov/routine-message-to-u-s-citizens-travel-to-united-states-with-expired-passport/

2 Likes

Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by abusigna: 12:01am On Dec 07, 2022
please do anyone have a contact number to reach for NIN , i want to renewed my passport and i noticed NIN is needed , please do anyone have a contact number for NIN , new york or New Jersey
Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by abusigna: 12:44am On Dec 07, 2022
youngsahito:

what is your company name and can i have a number to reach out ?
Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by abusigna: 12:47am On Dec 07, 2022
IjeBos:
I did get a hold of someone at the Embassy. Below is a summation of the info I was given.

1.) The NIN cannot be done the same day as the passport renewal. The NIN has to be done first.
2.) It is possible to fly to Nigeria with an expired passport. The rep. suggested I call the airline to see if they will fly me without a valid passport. This part is the trickiest. I think the problem is that airlines are required to fly you back if you are not allowed entry in a foreign country. So it is a risk for airlines to fly travelers without entry documents.
3.) She also suggested I can get apply for an emergency travel document that I can give to the airlines.

I'm going to reach out to Delta to understand their policy so I can understand the easiest path.

please can you share the person contact number ?
Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by kpolli(m): 3:10am On Dec 07, 2022
IjeBos:

Not fully yet. Just started the process. Maybe someone else can weigh in on the following
1.) Do I have to actually go the the NY Embassy to get the Visa.
2.) Can I actually leave the US without a valid Nigerian Visa/Passport (unfortunately, paying someone at the Nigerian airport is probably the easiest option).
3.) How the Visa on Demand option works. I think I could qualify for it.

Having to go to NY two times has both a time and money cost, that would make it impractical.

I know someone who did so in September

1 Like

Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by AGT007: 5:27am On Dec 07, 2022
IjeBos:

I have gone on a day outside my appointment time and did get it done. Can't recall if I called in before hand or even if they gave me a hard time about it. And not sure what the system is now. Call them.

How quickly did you get the new passport?
Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by youngsahito(m): 6:20am On Dec 07, 2022
abusigna:

what is your company name and can i have a number to reach out ?
knowledge Square, just book an appointment with them
http://www.iqid.ng. log in into the website.

1 Like

Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by AGT007: 2:04pm On Dec 07, 2022
IjeBos:

Hmm.. I think the US side is supposed to check if you have a valid passport/visa before letting you on the plane. If it were just the Nigerian immigration, I would do it, but not sure I want to buy a ticket and not be let on the US flight. But let me look into it more. Thanks for the info and options.

As a Nigerian returning to Nigeria on a Nigerian Passport, the expiration doesn’t matter. The airline will fly you TO your home country on an expired passport. They just cannot fly you FROM your home country on an expired passport.

So it’s not an issue going to naija but once there, you cannot leave without renewing.
Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by IjeBos(m): 2:26pm On Dec 07, 2022
abusigna:

please can you share the person contact number ?

I just went on the website and called the contact number there. Called a bunch of times. I think I got someone by pressing 0.
Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by IjeBos(m): 2:33pm On Dec 07, 2022
AGT007:

As a Nigerian returning to Nigeria on a Nigerian Passport, the expiration doesn’t matter. The airline will fly you TO your home country on an expired passport. They just cannot fly you FROM your home country on an expired passport.

So it’s not an issue going to naija but once there, you cannot leave without renewing.

True. Just for clarification. I believe the Airline will only fly you to your Home country if your Home country allows you to enter with their expired passport or without a passport. Nigeria allows you to enter with an expired Nigerian passport. But if you were referring to Home Country as just Nigeria, then your statement is accurate.

The 2nd part is interesting. I have an American passport. Can Nigeria not let you leave on your American passport if you don't renew your Nigerian passport?
Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by AGT007: 2:35pm On Dec 07, 2022
IjeBos:

True. Just for clarification. I believe the Airline will only fly you to your Home country if your Home country allows you to enter with their expired passport or without a passport. Nigeria allows you to enter with an expired Nigerian passport. But if you were referring to Home Country as just Nigeria, then your statement is accurate.

The 2nd part is interesting. I have an American passport. Can Nigeria not let you leave on your American passport if you don't renew your Nigerian passport?

Yea, referring to home country as Nigeria.

I did not know you have a US passport. You can fly back to US on your passport without renewing the naija passport.
Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by IjeBos(m): 2:36pm On Dec 07, 2022
AGT007:

How quickly did you get the new passport?

It's been almost 5 years now. I know previous to the last renewal, I would get them same day. The last time I had to give them an Paid Overnight Label and envelope so they could overnight it to me. I want to say it took 1 week from the appointment. And I also remember having to be quiet while being abused for waiting last minute to do the renewal in order to get him to overnight it. Not sure what the policy is now. Maybe someone who has done it recently can chime in.
Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by IjeBos(m): 2:42pm On Dec 07, 2022
AGT007:

Yea, referring to home country as Nigeria.

I did not know you have a US passport. You can fly back to US on your passport without renewing the naija passport.

I would hope so. But, I do remember them haranguing me for my Nigerian passport when I was flying out once. Maybe they were just looking for money. But will get the NIN and passport done while there. Well at least the NIN.

Thanks, was trying to update and keep the thread as detailed as possible in case someone is looking for this info in the future.
Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by AGT007: 3:06pm On Dec 07, 2022
IjeBos:

I would hope so. But, I do remember them haranguing me for my Nigerian passport when I was flying out once. Maybe they were just looking for money. But will get the NIN and passport done while there. Well at least the NIN.

Thanks, was trying to update and keep the thread as detailed as possible in case someone is looking for this info in the future.

Naija immigration will truly stress you on the way out. So better to do it or get visa on arrival as a US Citizen so that you won’t need the naija passport at all.

1 Like

Re: Renewing Nigerian Passport In The US (NY Office) by IjeBos(m): 4:36pm On Dec 30, 2022
Quick update. Tow data points. Had 2 US friends travel to Nigeria on expired Nigerian passports and both entered successfully. In fact one didn't even have his Nigerian passport with him when he arrived in Nigeria. I believe he had help and I'm not recommending that and I won't be trying that.

(1) (Reply)

Two Children, Seven Adults Die In Container Accident At Ojuelegba, Lagos (Pix) / Transiting Tru France To Lima,peru / Worst Cities In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.