Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,967 members, 7,799,294 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:35 PM

Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? (8361 Views)

Poll: As A Parent Will You?

Yes: 21% (13 votes)
No: 78% (47 votes)
This poll has ended

Is It By Force To Take Your Child To Santa? (Photo) / Photo: What Would You Do If You Came Home And Saw Your Child Like This!! / Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by LoveKing(m): 12:34am On Aug 28, 2011
I was listening to a program on radio where people called to in air their views on paying bribe so that their kids can pass. One lady said its a sin against God and its not right. then another Pastor said thats corruption.but most parents said they would do it. There are situations of special centres and some private schools even organize these centres with the supervisors involved themselves.
so if your child asks you to pay for special centre to pass will you do it?so if you pay bribe so that your child can pass waec, jamb, secondary or university exams is it a bad thing?

for me i would coz at the long run it doesnt mean my child will turn out to be corrupt and it doesnt mean he will be dull. It is rather a smart way to pass, really these exams are based on luck. there are situations people fail their best subjects.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by ZE: 12:18pm On Aug 28, 2011
you shd be in church now
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by ochallo: 12:20pm On Aug 28, 2011
i think it is a total shame that this topic is being discussed at all, paying for a child to pass is telling the child that you don't have to make effort in life, you can always take a shortcut and all those parents who pay for their children are digging the graves of their children. if you take your child to a school and find out that the teacher of the school is  someone who had paid you in the past for you to help him/her pass their exams and he is now a teacher, teaching your child. would you be comfortable leaving your child in that school?
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by ochallo: 12:21pm On Aug 28, 2011
ZE:

you shd be in church now

i'm back from church, some churches are time conscous you know, God works with time.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by premechaz: 12:25pm On Aug 28, 2011
If you dont do it, others will. As a parent, you are obligated to do whatever would give your child the edge, and if it involves bribing, so be it.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by JUO(m): 12:28pm On Aug 28, 2011
i think i will do it
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Tjluv: 12:31pm On Aug 28, 2011
My parents never did,yet i excelled. Y should i then pay for my kids to pass an exam?
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Aug 28, 2011
my parents tried it for my jamb because they are not educated, i am educated and i strongly am against it, my kids will not stand a chance to do malpractice cos i was able to make a very good result from the university with no bribe or malpractice of any kind
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Aug 28, 2011
I wouldn't do it, no. What message are you passing onto your child if you do?

A persons worth isn't measured on education alone. Not all great people in the world today even finished high school, yet they excelled. Education isn't for everyone.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by eggo: 1:08pm On Aug 28, 2011
haaa in dis nigeria? i wanna pay die, if u av the money and connection as a parent why not, wen dey system is already spoilt, no dulling!!!
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by atasteve: 1:21pm On Aug 28, 2011
This topic is the root of Nigeria's undoing. sad

If you pa for the exam, u can't pay his way out of life for me.

He needs to learn to earn things honestly.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by passyjango(m): 1:40pm On Aug 28, 2011
premechaz:

If you dont do it, others will. As a parent, you are obligated to do whatever would give your child the edge, and if it involves bribing, so be it.
Give your child an edge on what? Paying for your child to pass an exam is like telling him he is not good enough. You are simply killing his confidence and don't be surprised if after his education he will still come running to you to secure a job for him. Such children will never make effort at anything, they will always be looking for an easy way out and then you and parents like you will start complaining on how youths of thesedays no longer cherish hardwork.

However, I commend your honesty because I am sure that most Nigerian parents will do the same, if they can afford whatever is being demanded.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by agog: 1:53pm On Aug 28, 2011
I cant even think of it, let alone engaging in it. I mean it's so absurd for any parent in their right senses to subscribe to bribing for their child's education at any level. Where will d child get d knowledge whibh is d product of education? Will such child be able to measure up in life? Methinks.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by tuto: 2:03pm On Aug 28, 2011
if you will not pay? y then do you look for connection to get your child a job? you should have allowed him to follow procedures. abi no bi soooooooooooooo
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Pennywise(m): 2:18pm On Aug 28, 2011
I give my kids the best education that my money can pay for. At the same time I will hate for them to be disadvantaged in an exam

situation where everybody is looking into cell phones for answers.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by whyMMM: 3:21pm On Aug 28, 2011
yep
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by kizito96(m): 3:50pm On Aug 28, 2011
My friend has 4 children in the University, non of the children ever had a Pass in Waec. What he does is each year he pays special centers to take Waec and Jamb for his children, then bribe the Universities during the Post Jamb exams. I told him what he was doing was very bad, he said his children cannot lag behind.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by mundus(m): 4:27pm On Aug 28, 2011
The day I mention that to my parents then I will sure of been sent back home frm school
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Excelboi(m): 4:45pm On Aug 28, 2011
Why are some of you guys lying? Let be sincere most of the people against it here will or must have do it,just because this an online forum,ur trying to portray holiness! This is Nigeria,many parent will go to any extent to make sure their kidz excel including givn bribe,mind you, aint saying everyone will indulge in such but majority will succumb to that! True Fact
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by AjanleKoko: 4:46pm On Aug 28, 2011
LOL@Topic.

I was watching one home video yesterday, where some girl was telling her sugardaddy she used some money he gave her to 'process' her admission.
Na wa oh. And we always lambast GEJ for the country's woes.

When it comes to education, the blame for the decay in the sector is 50-50 for me. Or maybe a 60 for the parents and children, and 40 for the government. Many of the parents are kuku in government.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by LesbianBoy(m): 5:11pm On Aug 28, 2011
Pennywise:

I give my kids the best education that my money can pay for. At the same time I will hate for them to be disadvantaged in an exam

situation where everybody is looking into cell phones for answers.

You have my brother some people here claiming

To all those who say they wont pay, you wont understand until u get to that level, by the time una pikin stay house when all him mate don enter school graduate u go know wassup! grin grin grin grin
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by leggoo(m): 5:55pm On Aug 28, 2011
With the yeye exam questions these examiners are creating these days, I know that these exams are not true test of intelligence. So I will pay heavily for the highest grade just because I know my child can defend it. Meanwhile, the education system is whack! So cheating can not be a crime anymore.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by horny4u(f): 6:20pm On Aug 28, 2011
My kids like their Mum are very very very intelligent so there will be no need for that, my parents did not bribe for me ( I got WOW genes).

But

of course if you are a slowpoke parent and know that your genes has contributed to your slowpoke baby then you may have to find your way.

Jokes apart its very SAD ! there is no better way to tell your child that he or she is a NO GOOD than for you to bribe for them to pass exams. Those kind kids will have severe low esteem and will simply continue in that pattern and may never be able to stand their own in the world as they know say they no get merit .

1 Like

Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by benzion72(m): 6:37pm On Aug 28, 2011
Any kid that can not pass WAEC, NECO, UTME should go and learn a trade. We cannot all go to the University that is one of the reason for our problem as a nation we believe every Dick and Harry must hold a degree. It is wrong. Some are artist, some are gifted. Instead of molding these genius we send them to school by fire and by force and in the long run there is problem.

This is why so many enter to study medicine and after 10years they graduate as history or geography graduate
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by basadenet: 7:13pm On Aug 28, 2011
LoveKing:

I was listening to a program on radio where people called to in air their views on paying bribe so that their kids can pass. One lady said its a sin against God and its not right. then another Pastor said thats corruption.but most parents said they would do it. There are situations of special centres and some private schools even organize these centres with the supervisors involved themselves.
so if your child asks you to pay for special centre to pass will you do it?so if you pay bribe so that your child can pass waec, jamb, secondary or university exams is it a bad thing?

for me i would coz at the long run it doesnt mean my child will turn out to be corrupt and it doesnt mean he will be dull. It is rather a smart way to pass, really these exams are based on luck. there are situations people fail their best subjects.

From your writeup here, it means the same thing was done for you during your exam.and i take it that you are of those people that involve in this shady business, all for money. let me tell you, you are not helping the person but instead you are destroying his/her life. Have a change of heart now before is too late.
[size=18pt]This thread should be deleted without delay.[/size]
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by member479760: 7:16pm On Aug 28, 2011
OUR PROBLEM IN AFRICA IS LANGUAGE, IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE LANGUAGE, YOU DONT HAVE EDUCATION.

JOE THE PLUMBER BECAME A JOURNALIST FROM PLUMBER WITHOUT ANY FORMAL TRAINING JUST BECAUSE ENGLISH IS HIS MOTHER TONGUE.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by ada24: 7:42pm On Aug 28, 2011
this topic is too funny, obviously this is a question for the Nigerian setting - jokes apart is this why accountancy graduates don't know what a balance sheet is, na wah o

Just cos ur child is not academically skilled does not mean he/she does not excel in other areas.

its sad that this topic is even being discussed.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by ektbear: 7:43pm On Aug 28, 2011
Going to try to marry a woman roughly as smart as myself so I don't have any dull children  smiley

But if I do have a dumb child, I'll push him to excel at sports or music, or to learn a trade (carpentry, welding, car mechanics, etc.) Even if you bribe for the child to pass exams, will you also bribe for him to be given a job? Will you bribe to not have him fired for incompetence too? Etc, etc.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by BabaEleko(m): 7:45pm On Aug 28, 2011
Me. I'll pay. And pay. And repay. If my pikin fail again. I'll keep paying till I jam jamb finally. grin grin
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by horny4u(f): 7:59pm On Aug 28, 2011
Baba_Eleko:

Me. I'll pay. And pay. And repay. If my pikin fail again. I'll keep paying till I jam jamb finally.  grin grin

Baba Eleko Baba Olodo  grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by heynew: 8:02pm On Aug 28, 2011
The problem is that we lack a system that checkmate exam malpractice and bribing, some won't because their kids are naturally brilliant and some will because of 3 reasons

- Because they care for the child ( lacks parental principles )
- Their selfish gain, they can just stand papa emeka asking about junior and they told him he is repeating jss3.
- the child lacks confidence, so  repeating  a class will delete the little left of him or her
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by lekside44(m): 8:07pm On Aug 28, 2011
leave the4m, they are digging their grave. you need to see what happen to non prepared students in the just concluded unilag post utme exam. bother going by this, the days of expo and machinery are just over.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See As Husband Is Whipping Wife Mercilessly With A Belt (must See For All Ladies / Is My Wife Taking Advantage Of Me ? / Kids' Educational Tablet Computer With Sim Card. Rivers State, Port Harcourt.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.