Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,885 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:37 AM

Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? (8371 Views)

Poll: As A Parent Will You?

Yes: 21% (13 votes)
No: 78% (47 votes)
This poll has ended

Is It By Force To Take Your Child To Santa? (Photo) / Photo: What Would You Do If You Came Home And Saw Your Child Like This!! / Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by horny4u(f): 8:09pm On Aug 28, 2011
heynew:

The problem is that we lack a system that checkmate exam malpractice and bribing, some won't because their kids are naturally brilliant and some will because of 3 reasons

- Because they care for the child ( lacks parental principles )
- Their selfish gain, they can just stand papa emeka asking about junior and they told him he is repeating jss3.
- the child lacks confidence, so  repeating  a class will delete the little left of him or her

If the above is enough to cheat and bribe for your child then i agree to would be parents taking a lesson in parental class and child upbringing before they can be allowed to keep their kids.

Any parents who bribes for their kid has single handedly  with out the devil's help messed their child up for a long time !
No child is a slow poke, kids who have been diagnosed with slow learning and muddling up their letters go on to become doctors FACT. For the Almighty's breathe in every human we all are great: help your child to find his greatness or bribe and further push his greatness into oblivion.

such parents need the sharia koboko. wink
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by kpezi: 8:12pm On Aug 28, 2011
Blind guides!!, those who brided their way through school will bribe for their children not minding the consequences. I wont do it for any reason, it wasnt done me and i didn do it in my time.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by indoorlove(m): 8:14pm On Aug 28, 2011
As far as am concern, there is no such thing as dull child, only the child that has not yet be discovered, Most parent have  the mentality of "school only" examine your child, involve him or her in vocationary training, what he she can do practically. At least u can start from there. As far as am concern, there is no such thing as dull child, only the child that has not yet be discovered, Most parent have  the mentality of "school only" examine your child, involve him or her in vocationary training, what he she can do practically. At least u can start from there. We can not all be a university graduate. The earlier we realise this, the better ooooo!  do practically. At least u can start from there. We can not all be a university graduate. The earlier
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by donpappyt(m): 8:15pm On Aug 28, 2011
Platnum!:

my parents tried it for my jamb because they are not educated, i am educated and i strongly am against it, my kids will not stand a chance to do malpractice cos i was able to make a very good result from the university with no bribe or malpractice of any kind
majority of the parents that bribe for their kids are educated and influential.

Most humble parents hardly have enough to pay for their kids school .
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by femmy2010(m): 9:02pm On Aug 28, 2011
@Topic,
NEVER.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Anvaller: 9:08pm On Aug 28, 2011
Look do not blame a parent that bribed for their children. Blame Naija system for everything. If you would observe, you would find out that most of these parents do not bribe for common entrance exams because ordfinarily there kids would pass it. They do not also bribe for promotional exams for at the end of each academic year in the secondary school.

Okay so the big question should be that WHY IS THE BRIBERY ISSUE PECULIAR TO ONLY JAMB AND WAEC? this and that parents have smartened their way thru for their kids and u are aware what they did but they kept it secret. Now their child is almost finishing in the university and ur own child is still battling with extra mural classes which u are paying a lot for. At the end on the day, the society would see their own child who is almost graduating as better than urs and that is why more and more are tempted into it. Who do u blame. Clean up the system and give the student good quality education, and be more reasonable with how waec and jambs are marked. then bribery would die naturally/
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by horny4u(f): 9:44pm On Aug 28, 2011
Anvaller:

Look do not blame a parent that bribed for their children. Blame Naija system for everything. If you would observe, you would find out that most of these parents do not bribe for common entrance exams because ordfinarily there kids would pass it. They do not also bribe for promotional exams for at the end of each academic year in the secondary school.

Okay so the big question should be that WHY IS THE BRIBERY ISSUE PECULIAR TO ONLY JAMB AND WAEC? this and that parents have smartened their way thru for their kids and u are aware what they did but they kept it secret. Now their child is almost finishing in the university and your own child is still battling with extra mural classes which u are paying a lot for. At the end on the day, the society would see their own child who is almost graduating as better than urs and that is why more and more are tempted into it. Who do u blame. Clean up the system and give the student good quality education, and be more reasonable with how waec and jambs are marked. then bribery would die naturally/

are there not kids whose parents did not bribe and who passed, We Nigerians are the system, our attitude is the system, mindset like yours is the system, the Queen of England is too busy too clean up our system for us we will need to clean it up ourselves.

I once employed a school cert leaver and one day was discussing with him and he said though o passed my WAEC i was very ill at the time and i replied Wow!!! for you to have been ill and still managed to pass this well, You should be proud of you.
Only for him to say No o , I was too ill to go to school so my mum asked my elder brother to sit for my exams for me albeit to say i made sure he never handled money again, His moral barometer was contaminated in my opinion.

He said it with pride and i must admit he had the tendency to be daft and take short cuts. lipsrsealed angry
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by cecegorz(m): 9:47pm On Aug 28, 2011
I think that every parent needs to read Dr Ben Carson's classics; Gifted Hands and Think Big! There you'll see how the dumbest kid in the class turned out the best medical student and today, a renowned Neuo-Surgeon
You can't raise your kids on 24hr television and expect them to pass WAEC or UME! Book kmnowledge is acquired by diligent study. Imagine if Ben's mum bribed teachers for his grades, he will never have amounted to anything!
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Aug 28, 2011
I would never do that. Like several people have already noted, the self esteem of that child would be crushed. Infact the truth is, the child has already failed,
the parent is sending a message to the child that he doesn't believe in him. Having said that, there is an adage that says a lizard can only gain entrance to a house that has an opening somewhere, people who cheat are not being punished. A law not enforced is equal to 'NO LAW' and where there are no laws, there are no crimes. That's my opinion about these rampant exam malpractices we have been plagued with. Finally some unfair employment practices can contribute to the desperation to pass exams at all cost and on time, I know that developed countries have a law against employment discrimination based on age. We don't have that in 9ja rather coys openly advertise that they'll only employ fresh grads below a certain age. An evil minded parent can latch on this and say I need to make sure my child finishes school on time. I posit that no parent should engage in such despicable behavior and at d same time, the authorities should enforce laws that can curb this malpractice while also ensuring fairness in the society.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Acidosis(m): 10:08pm On Aug 28, 2011

1 Like

Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by komek(m): 11:11pm On Aug 28, 2011
I will pay 4 my child, com 2 think of it,when a company says she needs a 20yrs old graduate with 5yrs experience 2 pick up a post in an office. I most do it 2 enable my child graduate on time and be where his/her mates are,
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Sagamite(m): 11:58pm On Aug 28, 2011
Nigeria is just creating bundles of cretins like LoveKing, premechaz, JUO, eggo, tuto, Pennywise, LesbianBoy, leggoo and komek.

We need to take people like these to the woods, put a bullet in their heads and build a new nation.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by manny4life(m): 1:15am On Aug 29, 2011
May GOD forbid it, my parents NEVER did it, why should I? All these folks on here saying they will do, you are setting a dangerous precedent for your kids; sooner or later you will reap what you have sown. You cannot sow bribery into a child's life and expect to reap blessings in the future; the child will follow after the parents footsteps and once they cannot get it, don't be alarmed at what happens next.

Rather than you corrupt parents sow such seed of bribery into the child's life, how about you enrolling the child into intensive learning exercise? Bribery is the underlying core of corruption. We blame politicians at the national level, yet, at the grass root level, corruption is taking a different phase. What makes you any different that the speaker of the house yall blamed that time for corruption? Whatever his name is.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by passyjango(m): 1:43am On Aug 29, 2011
Do not be surprised that some of the parents will not buy textbooks for their children, yet they will find money to bribe for them to pass. Others do not have the time to help or encourage their children to do their homework, yet they will find time to seek out someone to bribe for their child to pass. From morning till night, kids are watching movies and yet their delinquent parents expect them to pass.

There is no parental upbringing as most kids are solely responsible for their own upbringing. Most of what our kids know today are things they learn from other kids or on TV or other media. The few things they learn from us are often negative like bribing, lying, making trouble with neighbours, gossiping, etc.

Some people are talking about the Nigerian system. Who created the system? Is it not the same delinquent Nigerian parents like [size=20pt]You[/size]? Politicians, Ministers, Law makers, Commissioners, WAEC/NECO staff, lecturers are they not mostly parents?

That is why there are no jobs, no power, bad roads, broken down refineries, hunger, and insecurity. The funny thing is that some of us are expecting that things will get better in future. If the current crop of leaders who went to school when there was some little sanity in the Education system cannot fix Nigeria, is it the bunch of cretins that we are pushing through school that will fix it?

That is why I encourage parents and kids who still believe in the power of knowledge. They should not be deterred as I foresee a future in Nigeria where there will be so many cretins and olodos that the few who patiently apply themselves to acquiring relevant knowledge will become like [size=24pt]Gods[/size] (in hot demand).

We must begin to think about the consequences of our actions on our future. You can not cheat nature, you can only cheat yourself, for [size=16pt]whatever you sow you shall reap[/size].
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by semid4lyfe(m): 2:15am On Aug 29, 2011
Sagamite:
Nigeria is just creating bundles of cretins like LoveKing, premechaz, JUO, eggo, tuto, Pennywise, LesbianBoy, leggoo and komek.

We need to take people like these to the woods, put a bullet in their heads and build a new nation.

Itching for a ban are you? grin

Meanwhile, am I the only one who noticed there are two instances of this thread on the homepage?

Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by BabaEleko(m): 3:16am On Aug 29, 2011
horny4u:

Baba Eleko Baba Olodo  grin grin grin grin grin grin

Hot tongue, u no go pay? Jamb is a bad thing. Me and my pikin must come together to face that cankerworm called Jamb and waec. grin
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by premechaz: 3:33am On Aug 29, 2011
Sagamite:

Baba e ati Iya e ati awon followers e to ma n send PM si ni NL ni cre/t/i/n

Oloshi jatijati omo atapata dide oshi.

Kini da fun e ati awon emewa e.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Sagamite(m): 3:48am On Aug 29, 2011
semid4lyfe:

Meanwhile, am I the only one who noticed there are two instances of this thread on the homepage?

This guy stop drinking this stuff that is making you see things na. grin

premechaz:

Baba e ati Iya e ati awon followers e to ma n send PM si ni NL ni cre/t/i/n

Oloshi jatijati omo atapata dide oshi.

Kini da fun e ati awon emewa e.

Ko ni da fun e.

You are a cretin! Everything you said should be applied to your moronic self.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by moremi2008(m): 5:51am On Aug 29, 2011
One thing some Nigerian parents fail to realize is that WAEC/JAMB is the least of the many exams kids have to pass in life. If you're already bribing to have your child pass JAMB/WAEC, what are you going to do when they finally graduate and have to compete in the work place? I am yet to see any exam that can't be passed with patience and consistent diligence if the child's foundation is solid. I would NEVER bribe for my child to pass. Instead, I'll use the opportunity to teach that child the importance of hard work and patience.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Nobody: 7:17am On Aug 29, 2011
We all know what's right or wrong so, why discuss about it. In all things put God at heart Heaven in focus. So doing plotting evil will be far from your heart.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Nobody: 7:17am On Aug 29, 2011
We all know what's right or wrong so, why discuss about it. In all things put God at heart Heaven in focus. So doing plotting evil will be far from your heart.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Nobody: 7:42am On Aug 29, 2011
When are we going to learn on how to stop blaming the govt for our woes n accept our Bleep-up. The system is a whack because we made it so. If we want what is right, let's do it and stand for it.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Nobody: 9:48am On Aug 29, 2011
Nigeria is corrupt. What happens in situations where one gets his Jamb result and "Absent" is recorded on it even though he sat for the exam?
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by ifyalways(f): 10:09am On Aug 29, 2011
jennykadry:

Nigeria is corrupt. What happens in situations where one gets his Jamb result and "Absent" is recorded on it even though he sat for the exam?
Gbam.How do you rectify that?Go to court,due process or pay something and get your kid going?
Who does not offer bribe or collect Bribe in Nigeria ? The name might change(tips,kola,greeting,envelope,Ghana-must-go,airline ticket,landed property,car,etc) but the motive remains same . .  in exchange for something, to gain favor,to jump queue,to bypass due process,to avoid long tori and stress.

Na ghosts dey pay for Jamb/GCE special centers?

What about "desk/table fees" collected at every exam center?

Drinks for the external invigilator/examiner nko?

@Topic,Ideally I would not pay or offer anyone cash or kind bribe for my kids education but I won't cos of a desperate and hungry m.oron somewhere  gamble with my child's future.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Nobody: 10:31am On Aug 29, 2011
^^^^ It actually happened to me not a "He". I cried like crazy. I left high school very early all thanx to the double promotions I received in primary school. My father dropped me off at one school in OJO lagos, sat under a tree very close to the building where I sat for the exam and waited for me to finish. I remember him buying me pure water and begging my invigilator to give it to me before I die of Hyperthermia grin. After writing this exam, I was so excited then cos I was looking forward to going to unilag(2nd choice) or uniben(1st choice), only for the result to come out then with " ABSENT , CANDIDATE DID NOT SIT FOR THE EXAM". My old man and I went to Jamb office, for where? they kept insisting that I did not show up in the exam center. The wahala was too much, the waka we wakad for this case no be small one. Na after the waka my parents decided to send me elsewhere for studies.

The fact that most parents bribe people for their kids to pass does not mean that child is dumb and silly. Nigeria is a very terrible country. You cannot take a step without dropping something for some people. Just for me to collect my statement of academic record from WAEC was hell and I had only a few days to submit it in the embassy. Make una no judge abeg, I have been there and know what it is like.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by AjanleKoko: 10:40am On Aug 29, 2011
Well . . . it's just a typical Nigerian conundrum.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Sagamite(m): 10:41am On Aug 29, 2011
jennykadry:

^^^^ It actually happened to me not a "He". I cried like crazy. I left high school very early all thanx to the double promotions I received in primary school. My father dropped me off at one school in OJO lagos, sat under a tree very close to the building where I sat for the exam and waited for me to finish. I remember him buying me pure water and begging my invigilator to give it to me before I die of Hyperthermia grin. After writing this exam, I was so excited then cos I was looking forward to going to unilag(2nd choice) or uniben(1st choice), only for the result to come out then with " ABSENT , CANDIDATE DID NOT SIT FOR THE EXAM". My old man and I went to Jamb office, for where? they kept insisting that I did not show up in the exam center. The wahala was too much, the waka we wakad for this case no be small one. Na after the waka my parents decided to send me elsewhere for studies.

The fact that most parents bribe people for their kids to pass does not mean that child is dumb and silly. Nigeria is a very terrible country. You cannot take a step without dropping something for some people. Just for me to collect my statement of academic record from WAEC was hell and I had only a few days to submit it in the embassy. Make una no judge abeg, I have been there and know what it is like.

What you described is utterly different from bribing people for your child to pass exams.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Nobody: 10:51am On Aug 29, 2011
Sagamite, a lot of people's good results are given to other people's dumb kids. A science student will write an exam and at the end of the day receive the result of a commercial student with the science's name student on it.

The most important thing is finding out why the parents paid the bribe in the first place. Some parents do not pay for their kids to pass exams because their kids are dumb, they pay because they know that, that's the only way their child is able to move on to the next level academically.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Sagamite(m): 11:20am On Aug 29, 2011
jennykadry:

Sagamite, a lot of people's good results are given to other people's dumb kids. A science student will write an exam and at the end of the day receive the result of a commercial student with the science's name student on it.

The most important thing is finding out why the parents paid the bribe in the first place. Some parents do not pay for their kids to pass exams because their kids are dumb, they pay because they know that, that's the only way their child is able to move on to the next level academically.

The question on this thread is will you pay for a child to pass an exam. Basically will you pay if they are dumb or have not made an effort or have not been prepared well.

Don't let us creep into other spheres.

AjanleKoko:

Well . . . it's just a typical Nigerian conundrum.

Oga, I am sure you are aware that is the result of our culture of cheating. That is why I complain when the state is cheating egregiously in age-grade football using players even the citizens know are outrageously above the age limit and we all celebrate these cheats and give them national honours.

I am not sure because of your technical background if you have ever heard of this thing call Cultural Web, but I wouldn't be surprised if you have.

The cultural web is a framework that highlights how cultures are developed and Nigeria fails in it if I applied it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_web#Factors_and_elements

[img]http://3.bp..com/-DhUdyGLnrFQ/TbG8JIMfGcI/AAAAAAAAAEQ/hw2vzwPakJA/s1600/image023.png[/img]

Our Stories and Myths are of yahoo yahoo boys and over-aged "world champions", that is what we teach people to value.

Our Symbols are of people of questionable source of wealth who possess expensive cars and houses.

Our Rituals and Routines are to do very little but expect to be rewarded BIG TIME.

Our Control Systems are incompetent or there to exploit the populace or to be exploited by the populace at the detriment of the nation.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Nobody: 11:23am On Aug 29, 2011
^^ Let the poster come and clarify. That question's got a lot of meanings to it
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by manakeagie: 11:26am On Aug 29, 2011
Hell No!! You will be doing to them a dis service , this really shame like someone said, in the first place that child will not learn

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Making Love Before One's Wedding / Kids' Educational Tablet Computer With Sim Card. Rivers State, Port Harcourt. / Is Marriage A Failed Union?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.