Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,396 members, 7,808,424 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:44 AM

Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State (89035 Views)

Lady Stays In The Same Room With Her Husband's Corpse For 3 Days In Ogun (Video) / Eddy Omodiaogbe Missing In Ogun (Photo) / Checkout This Viral Family of 6 Photoshoot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by Pimine: 6:28am On Dec 04, 2022
Weederness:

Not for me. Where I came from, we eat some stuff that look or worse than cockroach
Stuff like what? maggots?
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by Mrpojj(m): 6:36am On Dec 04, 2022
ibechris:
Full Text
A viral message surfaced on WhatsApp urging Nigerians to put a mixture of salt and garlic in the corners of their rooms to eradicate wall gecko, with the story that a wall gecko fell into a pot of soup prepared by a housewife in Nigeria unknown to her and killed the woman and her nine children after eating the soup.

It reads, “Slippery House Lizard known as Wall Gecko also called Omonle in Yoruba fell into a pot of soup prepared by a housewife in Nigeria unknowingly and it killed the woman and her 9 children after eating.

“Another woman who prepared Tea in a kettle which the gecko fell into, all the family that drank the tea died.

“Please ensure your food, cooked or raw is tightly closed as this animal is highly poisonous, it also goes with “aljanus” (jinns) – verifiable.

Therefore do everything possible to get rid of this dangerous animal from your home.”

The claim particularly notes that “the reptile goes with jinns and it’s highly poisonous and it is verifiable.” Dubawa opted to verify the authenticity of this claim.

Verification
A keyword search revealed that the claim has been in circulation since 2017, as a news item in Nigeria, the Sun Newspaper categorically alerted Nigerians to kill wall geckos because investigation has shown that the reptile is harmful.

The newspaper warned vividly: “Ordinarily, the skin of the gecko is highly poisonous…To eradicate it in your home, just mix salt and garlic and put mixture in different corners of your room. You will never see them again.”

A response on 9 May 2018 from Udonsi Eke on Nature Cures Initiative Facebook post questioned the credibility of the claim “But I remember eating a wall gecko that was roasted just to make me stop bedwetting in my childhood days. So is this information true?”
Are wall geckos truly harmful?
Animal diversity website describes a wall gecko as a tree-living terrestrial species, living in human-populated areas. A reptile that originated from Southeast Asia but is currently found almost everywhere across the globe. It says wall geckos occur on buildings, mostly near artificial lighting because they are nocturnal insectivores.

With the simple description of this uninvolved reptile that feeds mainly on insects, Dubawa felt the urge to get the thought of an expert, Mrs. Emudiare Tailobi, a zoologist from the University of Jos.

“Wall geckos aren’t venomous, that’s a fact,” Mrs. Emudiare said over the phone, adding that although they can carry some harmful bacteria in their mouths that are detrimental to human health, the reptile is naturally harmless.

Mrs. Tialobi explained that “Wall geckos are not toxic, but they may have picked up harmful bacterias that in large amounts can cause harm to humans.”

Dubawa went further to get more insight from a biologist, Mrs. Nanchin Winifred Kazeh from Leventis Ornithological Research Institute (APLORI) Jos-east Laminga via WhatsApp, and she affirmed that wall geckos are not poisonous
Is it true that the salt and garlic mixture can eradicate wall geckos?
A conversation with a biologist/ornithologist, Nanchin Winifred Kazeh of A. P. Leventis Ornithological Research Institute (APLORI), Jos-east on WhatsApp revealed that the smell of garlic and salt mixture wards off wall geckos.

Mrs. Kazeh said that wall geckos feed on insects such as lizards, nectars, and spiders. And since light attracts insects, wall geckos are found on buildings with artificial lighting, as it helps them spot their prey easily.

“The wall geckos play a very important role in balancing the ecosystem. Yes, their appearance scares most people, but all the protective measures put up by humans only aid the reptile to adapt well to the environment. Wall geckos are important and useful to humans,” Kazeh added.

While urging Nigerians to dismiss outrageous claims, and instead learn to read properly, know the source, and ask appropriate questions, the ornithologist outlined two fun facts which include:

Conservationist fun facts
1. Did you know that natural or human disturbances have resulted in more eggs being laid by the wall geckos?

Implication; the more we disturb them with our garlic and salt mixtures and try to kill them, the more they multiply

2. Did you know that female wall geckos can store sperm for up to a year? This is a trait that likely aids the species’ transportability and invasion success.

Conclusion
Verification has shown that wall geckos are not poisonous as contained in a viral WhatsApp message; instead, they play an important role in balancing the ecosystem. Even though the garlic and salt mixture can scare wall geckos, it will only increase its production.

The researcher produced this fact-check per the 2021 Kwame Karikari Fact-checking Fellowship partnership with JAY 101.9 FM Jos to facilitate the ethos of truth in journalism and enhance media literacy in the country.
Wall gecko poisonous?
Something we they catch with hand wen we small

1 Like

Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by ibechris(m): 7:03am On Dec 04, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
They're poisonous. Take heed

I know people who ate these animals just to prevent them stop from weeing on the bed in those days yet they are still alive today.
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by kay29000(m): 7:16am On Dec 04, 2022
Exmilitant:
I like spending time watching geckos attack flies, spider and other crawling insects.
That's man's companion wether you recognize their presence or not, they are right there with you watching and listening.

Haha. This your comment just gave me an idea to write a story from the point of view of a wall gecko.

1 Like

Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by kay29000(m): 7:20am On Dec 04, 2022
Tickles001:
There's nothing more false than this report. Even the dart poison frog would struggle to achieve this feat, considering the dilution from the soup.
Wall geckos are not poisonous and they don't press anybody in their sleep, nor do they have any metaphysical capabilities.

If they're that poisonous, then half of the people in rural areas would have died of by now.
I don't know what killed the family, but I know it's not any wall gecko.

I'm with you on this... I think it's carbon monoxide from small gen that probably killed them.
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by Shawl001(m): 7:23am On Dec 04, 2022
Oh, very painful.

Such death could have been averted, if only they walked by the Spirit.
Most times, when we bless our food before eating, there are laot of things we avert subconsciously, cos no matter the prayer, God hears it.

Always pray before eating...even after all the cares and cautions.
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by OnonujuChrist(m): 7:35am On Dec 04, 2022
Rest in Peace to the dead.
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by zedman1(m): 7:37am On Dec 04, 2022
ObalendeCMS:
Na flit I dey take kill their mama.

I heard it’s spiritual and evil too and it can scratch your body when you are fast asleep.

I also heard cockroaches do this too.
I no sabi spell the sound of hiss. You over spiritual people are funny. You believe God created all things yet call his creatures evil and you're happy with yourselves.
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by godofuck231: 7:53am On Dec 04, 2022
Shaev7:

My brother e no tire you...
I don retire

1 Like

Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by Oceanjagaban: 7:54am On Dec 04, 2022
Wall gecko na very sweet meat for Tinubu o,infact na him best meat,ask shettima
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by maasoap(m): 8:06am On Dec 04, 2022
brain54:
One wall gecko with enough lethal poison to kill six people…?

Why am I not believing this story?

I doubt if snakes and scorpions are even that poisonous.

Most likely a fume from generator responsible for their deaths. Definitely not a poison. Why? Because, poison can't kill all the six people in their sleep, some would have to wake up with stomach pains and struggle before succumbing to death.
But carbon mono oxide can kill 50 people in their sleep with no single one of them waking up to struggle.

1 Like

Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by maasoap(m): 8:07am On Dec 04, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
They're poisonous. Take heed

Where did you learn that? grin grin grin
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by godofuck231: 8:13am On Dec 04, 2022
TVTKOKO:
you mean Chameleon bones? Please can you educate me on how thanks
The tongue of the chameleons carries a neorotoxin that allows it to neutralize insects and begins digestion prior to entering the stomach. The tongue uses nematocists similar to that of its ocean dwelling long lost cousin... The sea anemonie. While not a poison, it is a toxin that can cause severe damage to a humans nervous system if contacted.Because humans have a much larger body mass the neurotoxin isn't noticed at first. Over time the toxin is cumulative and can cause severe issues with the dermal and sub dermal layers as well as a major transformative effect in overall body

Chameleons are slightly poisonous to humans. Chameleons come in many varieties, and those that humans keep as pets may be able to cause a mild rash if their bite breaks the skin. However, chameleons are slow and docile, so they rarely bite. Chameleon bites should be washed with soap and water.

Chameleons are known for their ability to change colors and their unique eyes, which can move independently.
Chameleons also have tongues that can extend about one and a half times the length of their entire body. However, most people know very little about chameleon biology or that these fascinating reptiles could potentially be poisonous to humans.

Because chameleons’ bodies are covered in scales, some people believe that they are reptiles with no poisonous qualities whatsoever. The fact is that chameleons do possess poison glands and may have toxins in their mouths. It can transfer this type of poison through bites and stings. The first type of poison is found in chameleon saliva, while the second is present in their skin.

Chameleon has been accurately classified as poisonous because it has developed defense mechanisms that have been proven toxic to humans over time. Chameleon species use this toxin as a defense mechanism against predators. This has made them poisonous even though these animals aren’t typically aggressive towards humans.
chameleons carry salmonella and could give a human food poisoning same as wall geckos
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by ella45(m): 8:31am On Dec 04, 2022
I disagree gecko is harmless they should check what happened,i remember vividly last month gecko died inside my water dispenser how it got there i can't really phantom,we drank this water for over 4 days before i got take note of it,and that was because of the offensive odour coming out from the water.lets us preach an event the right way not escalating it to be something else.i repeat gecko are harmless

1 Like

Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by Foodie1(m): 8:55am On Dec 04, 2022
Not only wall geckos, even chameleons when you step foot on a dead chameleon's bone na instant death.
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by KingMack(m): 9:10am On Dec 04, 2022
I f*cking hate this f*cking lizard.. that's why we don't cross paths.. because death is sure for this f*cking Ugly looking creature angry

Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by ebuka1511(m): 10:04am On Dec 04, 2022
Lukuluku69:

I read sometimes that while on the throes of death, they do discharge poisonous substance as a means of defence.

So, a Gecko in a pot of soup or one that fell inside a bucket of drinking water could be lethal if such food or water is ingested.

I remember growing up, anywhere my Grandma sees it, she must kill it. When we ask her why, she said they do scratch people with their claws while sleeping and leaving dark long marks on people's body.
......... but they are not poisonous, If I get you right, so with all the works from researchers , you still believe they are poisonous?
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by Satazaa: 10:07am On Dec 04, 2022
here is my own take on wether geckos are poisonous or not, I don't believe they are because it was created by nature for specific purposes which is to maintain some balance in our ecosystem,
Again if truly they are that poisonous they would have wiped out half of our population because of thier sheer ubiquitousness in our homes
however we are a product of our life experiences and if you believe in the existence of demonic powers and principalities you should know that some animals can be used as TOOLS AND MONITORING DEVICES and trust me guys geckos are a favorite of such powers,
I personally know a seventy plus years old neighbor who would never have phone conversations about businesses or other developmental issues in his house and would always step out for such discussion under a tree opposite his house and he swore that none of such discussion has ever been successful because of the presence of the geckos, infact he says some of the demonic ones actually disappears when they turn a corner and out of sight when being pursued, if you think his claims are wild and superstitious, the man once lived in about three European countries undecided
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by TVTKOKO(m): 10:24am On Dec 04, 2022
godofuck231:

The tongue of the chameleons carries a neorotoxin that allows it to neutralize insects and begins digestion prior to entering the stomach. The tongue uses nematocists similar to that of its ocean dwelling long lost cousin... The sea anemonie. While not a poison, it is a toxin that can cause severe damage to a humans nervous system if contacted.Because humans have a much larger body mass the neurotoxin isn't noticed at first. Over time the toxin is cumulative and can cause severe issues with the dermal and sub dermal layers as well as a major transformative effect in overall body

Chameleons are slightly poisonous to humans. Chameleons come in many varieties, and those that humans keep as pets may be able to cause a mild rash if their bite breaks the skin. However, chameleons are slow and docile, so they rarely bite. Chameleon bites should be washed with soap and water.

Chameleons are known for their ability to change colors and their unique eyes, which can move independently.
Chameleons also have tongues that can extend about one and a half times the length of their entire body. However, most people know very little about chameleon biology or that these fascinating reptiles could potentially be poisonous to humans.

Because chameleons’ bodies are covered in scales, some people believe that they are reptiles with no poisonous qualities whatsoever. The fact is that chameleons do possess poison glands and may have toxins in their mouths. It can transfer this type of poison through bites and stings. The first type of poison is found in chameleon saliva, while the second is present in their skin.

Chameleon has been accurately classified as poisonous because it has developed defense mechanisms that have been proven toxic to humans over time. Chameleon species use this toxin as a defense mechanism against predators. This has made them poisonous even though these animals aren’t typically aggressive towards humans.
chameleons carry salmonella and could give a human food poisoning same as wall geckos
This is directly from Google bro.. It hasn't answered my question on your position about stepping on a dead chameleon bones. Thanks anyways
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by Revolva(m): 10:55am On Dec 04, 2022
Wall geckos that i like well well once i see them on my wall i do t even worry , but if i see lizard...trying to enter my house , na war not to talk of cockroaches or rats na world war that day

Geckos are just on their own , as i de my own , the thing is its not good to allow any insect or reptile to perch on ur food
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by FarmTech(m): 10:59am On Dec 04, 2022
I don't believe this. But we shud take precaution anyway.
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by Lukuluku69(m): 11:14am On Dec 04, 2022
ebuka1511:

......... but they are not poisonous, If I get you right, so with all the works from researchers , you still believe they are poisonous?

I never said they are poisonous. I never did. What I said was that I have read where it was alleged that they do secrete some poisonous substances as a defence mechanism when they are about to die.

And I have also read where it is said that many a family died by eating from Food or drank from water that has a dead Gecko.

My Grandma tales is just a Local myth like all other local myths.

Besides, I raised chickens and I have seen Chickens run after them and do eat then on a number of occasion. So, I don't really believe they are poisonous as people alleged.

1 Like

Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by Dan809: 12:01pm On Dec 04, 2022
Africans who do us? With dis stupid believe.
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by Exceed15: 12:14pm On Dec 04, 2022
Which wall gecko.. abeg thorough investigation should be carried out.
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by TrumpDonald2: 12:19pm On Dec 04, 2022
ibechris:
Wall gecko isn't poisonous.

Its annoying how people with phones can still come online to make stupid comments. Things they can easily verify. How on earth can wall gecko kill an entire family?

All these blogs and their desire for traffic and the idiots above you that can't verify things.

The police should better investigate the issue. Wall gecko ko, crocodile ni.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by AlphaTaikun: 1:01pm On Dec 04, 2022
ibechris:
Full Text
A viral message surfaced on WhatsApp urging Nigerians to put a mixture of salt and garlic in the corners of their rooms to eradicate wall gecko, with the story that a wall gecko fell into a pot of soup prepared by a housewife in Nigeria unknown to her and killed the woman and her nine children after eating the soup.

It reads, “Slippery House Lizard known as Wall Gecko also called Omonle in Yoruba fell into a pot of soup prepared by a housewife in Nigeria unknowingly and it killed the woman and her 9 children after eating.

“Another woman who prepared Tea in a kettle which the gecko fell into, all the family that drank the tea died.

“Please ensure your food, cooked or raw is tightly closed as this animal is highly poisonous, it also goes with “aljanus” (jinns) – verifiable.

Therefore do everything possible to get rid of this dangerous animal from your home.”

The claim particularly notes that “the reptile goes with jinns and it’s highly poisonous and it is verifiable.” Dubawa opted to verify the authenticity of this claim.

Verification
A keyword search revealed that the claim has been in circulation since 2017, as a news item in Nigeria, the Sun Newspaper categorically alerted Nigerians to kill wall geckos because investigation has shown that the reptile is harmful.

The newspaper warned vividly: “Ordinarily, the skin of the gecko is highly poisonous…To eradicate it in your home, just mix salt and garlic and put mixture in different corners of your room. You will never see them again.”

A response on 9 May 2018 from Udonsi Eke on Nature Cures Initiative Facebook post questioned the credibility of the claim “But I remember eating a wall gecko that was roasted just to make me stop bedwetting in my childhood days. So is this information true?”
Are wall geckos truly harmful?
Animal diversity website describes a wall gecko as a tree-living terrestrial species, living in human-populated areas. A reptile that originated from Southeast Asia but is currently found almost everywhere across the globe. It says wall geckos occur on buildings, mostly near artificial lighting because they are nocturnal insectivores.

With the simple description of this uninvolved reptile that feeds mainly on insects, Dubawa felt the urge to get the thought of an expert, Mrs. Emudiare Tailobi, a zoologist from the University of Jos.

“Wall geckos aren’t venomous, that’s a fact,” Mrs. Emudiare said over the phone, adding that although they can carry some harmful bacteria in their mouths that are detrimental to human health, the reptile is naturally harmless.

Mrs. Tialobi explained that “Wall geckos are not toxic, but they may have picked up harmful bacterias that in large amounts can cause harm to humans.”

Dubawa went further to get more insight from a biologist, Mrs. Nanchin Winifred Kazeh from Leventis Ornithological Research Institute (APLORI) Jos-east Laminga via WhatsApp, and she affirmed that wall geckos are not poisonous
Is it true that the salt and garlic mixture can eradicate wall geckos?
A conversation with a biologist/ornithologist, Nanchin Winifred Kazeh of A. P. Leventis Ornithological Research Institute (APLORI), Jos-east on WhatsApp revealed that the smell of garlic and salt mixture wards off wall geckos.

Mrs. Kazeh said that wall geckos feed on insects such as lizards, nectars, and spiders. And since light attracts insects, wall geckos are found on buildings with artificial lighting, as it helps them spot their prey easily.

“The wall geckos play a very important role in balancing the ecosystem. Yes, their appearance scares most people, but all the protective measures put up by humans only aid the reptile to adapt well to the environment. Wall geckos are important and useful to humans,” Kazeh added.

While urging Nigerians to dismiss outrageous claims, and instead learn to read properly, know the source, and ask appropriate questions, the ornithologist outlined two fun facts which include:

Conservationist fun facts
1. Did you know that natural or human disturbances have resulted in more eggs being laid by the wall geckos?

Implication; the more we disturb them with our garlic and salt mixtures and try to kill them, the more they multiply

2. Did you know that female wall geckos can store sperm for up to a year? This is a trait that likely aids the species’ transportability and invasion success.

Conclusion
Verification has shown that wall geckos are not poisonous as contained in a viral WhatsApp message; instead, they play an important role in balancing the ecosystem. Even though the garlic and salt mixture can scare wall geckos, it will only increase its production.

The researcher produced this fact-check per the 2021 Kwame Karikari Fact-checking Fellowship partnership with JAY 101.9 FM Jos to facilitate the ethos of truth in journalism and enhance media literacy in the country.
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by Cullinane: 1:26pm On Dec 04, 2022
Onyiiobi7735:
Obviously the lizard isn't an ordinary one.It is an arrow of evil sent by the evil ones.
Go to school mumu. It is people like you that are holding Nigeria and Africa back.
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by Lordwaz(m): 1:59pm On Dec 04, 2022

Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by AmaUwana(f): 2:36pm On Dec 04, 2022
Not the gecko but the microorganisms...
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by ebuka1511(m): 2:40pm On Dec 04, 2022
Lukuluku69:

I never said they are poisonous. I never did. What I said was that I have read where it was alleged that they do secrete some poisonous substances as a defence mechanism when they are about to die.

And I have also read where it is said that many a family died by eating from Food or drank from water that has a dead Gecko.

My Grandma tales is just a Local myth like all other local myths.

Besides, I raised chickens and I have seen Chickens run after them and do eat then on a number of occasion. So, I don't really believe they are poisonous as people alleged.

Good because growing up in the village, I had had occasions I drew up dead wall geckos from our well which we drink and use in cooking. What I do is just discard the water and dead geckos, lower my bucket and continue fetching my water from same source
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by FarmTech(m): 2:53pm On Dec 04, 2022
The day I like gecko was when I saw one eating a scorpion. The scorpions head and 2 hands were just sticking out from his mouth.
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by Raphaeldhero(m): 3:09pm On Dec 04, 2022
ibechris:
Wall gecko isn't poisonous.

Wall geckos were or might have been poisonous

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Wife Catches Widow, 62, Begging Husband For Sex In Their House / Pure Water Seller Arrested Over Sex With Top Businessman’s Wife / See what Watching Parents Have Sex, Made This 5 Years Old Calabar Girl Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.