Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,547 members, 7,809,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:02 PM

American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium (28133 Views)

Qatar 2022 World Cup Stadium Has Hotel Room With Perfect Pitch View (Photos) / Qatar World Cup Stadium Is Made From Shipping Containers / Video: Set Back For Russia As 45,000 Capacity World Cup Stadium Catches Fire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by naptu2: 5:53am On Dec 10, 2022
American journalist Grant Wahl dies after collapsing at Qatar World Cup

Prominent American journalist Grant Wahl has died in Qatar after collapsing while covering the World Cup, sparking an outpouring of shock and grief across the sports world.

He “collapsed” in the press area while covering Friday’s Argentina-Netherlands match, a witness told CNN.

The circumstances around his death are not clear.

“The entire US Soccer family is heartbroken to learn that we have lost Grant Wahl,” US Soccer said in a statement on its official Twitter account.

“Grant made soccer his life’s work, and we are devastated that he and his brilliant writing will no longer be with us.”

US Soccer praised Wahl’s passion and “belief in the power of the game to advance human rights,” and shared its condolences with Wahl’s wife, Celine Gounder, and his loved ones.

Gounder reposted the US Soccer statement on Twitter and wrote: “I am so thankful for the support of my husband Grant Wahl’s soccer family and of so many friends who’ve reached out tonight. I’m in complete shock.”

Wahl had covered soccer for more than two decades, including 11 World Cups, according to his website. He was a longtime writer for Sports Illustrated, and authored two books on the sport.

In an episode of the podcast Futbol with Grant Wahl, published just days before his death on December 6, he had complained of feeling unwell.

“It had gotten pretty bad in terms of like the tightness in my chest, tightness, pressure. Feeling pretty hairy, bad.” Wahl told co-host Chris Wittyngham in the episode. He added that he sought help at the medical clinic at the World Cup media center, believing he had bronchitis.

He was given cough syrup and ibuprofen, and felt better shortly afterward, he said.

Wahl also said he experienced an “involuntary capitulation by my body and mind” after the US-Netherlands game on December 3.

“This isn’t my first rodeo. I’ve done eight of these on the men’s side,” he said at the time. “And so like, I’ve gotten sick to some extent at every tournament, and it’s just about trying to find a way to like get your work done.”

He further described the incident in a recent newsletter published on December 5, writing that his body had “broke down” after he had little sleep, high stress and a heavy workload. He’d had a cold for 10 days, which “turned into something more severe,” he wrote, adding that he felt better after receiving antibiotics and catching up on sleep.

US State Department spokesperson Ned Price said the department was in “close communication” with Wahl’s family.

Tributes pour in

Wahl’s death has sent shockwaves through the soccer and sports journalism community, with many sharing tributes on social media.

“We are shocked, saddened and heartbroken over the tragic passing of Grant Wahl,” said Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber, adding that Wahl was “a kind and caring person.”

The National Women’s Soccer League also tweeted its condolences, saying Wahl’s “commitment to sharing the stories of our beautiful game was unmatched, but more importantly, his integrity, thoughtfulness and kindness were central to the way he lived.”

Other journalists also shared stories of reporting alongside Wahl, and having encountered him at multiple World Cups over the years.

“Before he became the best covering soccer he did hoops and was so kind to me,” wrote famed broadcaster Dick Vitale.

Wahl had made headlines in November by reporting that he was detained and briefly refused entry to a World Cup match because he was wearing a rainbow t-shirt in support of LGBTQ rights.

He said security staff had told him to change his shirt because “it’s not allowed,” and had taken his phone. Wahl said he was released 25 minutes after being detained and received apologies from a FIFA representative and a senior member of the security team at the stadium.

Afterward, Wahl told CNN he “probably will” wear the shirt again.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/09/football/grant-wahl-death-world-cup-qatar-intl-hnk/index.html

2 Likes

Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by naptu2: 5:54am On Dec 10, 2022

Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by naptu2: 5:59am On Dec 10, 2022
More

Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by Piwago(m): 6:16am On Dec 10, 2022
Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by Ballzproblem2: 6:17am On Dec 10, 2022
told someone weeks ago that the Saudis will surely deal with,the person told me they'll just deport him, deport him will be Messi ,they can't execute him in public as all eyes are watching,so what do they do? poison him ,next time behave yourself.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by Musty112: 6:17am On Dec 10, 2022
And now, he has reached what he put forward. Conspiracy theorists, come and pain everyone and everything grey

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by timiade446(m): 6:17am On Dec 10, 2022
Ehh God

Wey xmas don almost reach

Rip cool

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by sheriffindy(m): 6:18am On Dec 10, 2022
My condolences . RIP to him.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by LOVEGINO(m): 6:18am On Dec 10, 2022
Na wa ooooooo
Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by CalabarPikin: 6:18am On Dec 10, 2022
Likely an Argentina fan with BP.....it's not easy surviving the tension in last night game.

May his soul find rest

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by babtaima(m): 6:19am On Dec 10, 2022
Assasins

1 Like

Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by luiginho2xl(m): 6:19am On Dec 10, 2022
Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by ABBEYsammy01(m): 6:20am On Dec 10, 2022
He died in an active service, may his soul find rest with the his maker...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by Dvdpity: 6:20am On Dec 10, 2022
He is the LGBT idiot, useless person.. the world is better without people like him.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by linkers: 6:23am On Dec 10, 2022
RIP. BUT Tinubu is criminal and wants to ruin the national resources

14 Likes

Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by BUSHHUNTER: 6:28am On Dec 10, 2022
Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by soberdrunk(m): 6:29am On Dec 10, 2022
They should do an autopsy in the US, I don't trust the Qataris...... angry

2 Likes

Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by tsephanyah(f): 6:32am On Dec 10, 2022
Guess his vaccination status... grin

7 Likes

Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by bestman09(m): 6:32am On Dec 10, 2022
shocked
Hope he didn't stake his life savings on the match?
Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by RZArecta(m): 6:36am On Dec 10, 2022
Are you people ready for the truth ? No. We've had even children as young as 6 dying of heart attacks recently talk less of athletes at their peak fitness. We've seen some of the videos but refused to ask what all these victims have in common. R.I.P Mr Wahl

3 Likes

Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by Chiraq77(m): 6:37am On Dec 10, 2022
Dem dun Kill am sehh
Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by madridguy(m): 6:37am On Dec 10, 2022
May God comfort his loved ones.

2 Likes

Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by Nahunger(m): 6:42am On Dec 10, 2022
Sifiora how are you baby
Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by Panda7(m): 6:42am On Dec 10, 2022
could have died from not having enough lgbt sex. better to stay home than sorry

7 Likes

Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by madridguy(m): 6:44am On Dec 10, 2022
“It had gotten pretty bad in terms of like the tightness in my chest, tightness, pressure. Feeling pretty hairy, bad.” Wahl told co-host Chris Wittyngham in the episode. He added that he sought help at the medical clinic at the World Cup media center, believing he had bronchitis.

Ballzproblem2:
told someone weeks ago that the Saudis will surely deal with,the person told me they'll just deport him, deport him will be Messi ,they can't execute him in public as all eyes are watching,so what do they do? poison him ,next time behave yourself.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by deeway200(m): 6:47am On Dec 10, 2022
[quote author=CalabarPikin post=119040713]Likely an Argentina fan with BP.....it's not easy surviving the tension in last night game.

May his soul find rest[/quote
It wasn't easy yesterday. I regretted watching it cause I became sick after the match all because I am supporting Messi
Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by egojeny1(f): 6:48am On Dec 10, 2022
CalabarPikin:
Likely an Argentina fan with BP.....it's not easy surviving the tension in last night game.

May his soul find rest
I tell you bro. My son almost cried. I told him look boy, take it easy this is not Nigeria match. The tension was much especially when the Neds equalised at the last minute. I couldn't watch the penalty, just entered inside my room and left my ears open to know when my son will start shouting. The match was something else.

RIP to him

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by TestingNV: 6:49am On Dec 10, 2022
egojeny1:

I tell you bro. My son almost cried. I told him look boy, take it easy this is not Nigeria match. The tension was much especially when the Neds equalised at the last minute.

RIP to him
Re: American Journalist, Grant Wahl Dies After Collapsing Inside World Cup Stadium by TestingNV: 6:49am On Dec 10, 2022
madridguy:

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Millions Missing From Usain Bolt’s Account, Jamaica Launches Probe / Diego Maradona Continues Recovery After Knee Surgery (Photos) / Osaze Warns Keshi To Watch His Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.