Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:35 PM

Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? (5560 Views)

Pls Help Me With Lineage(oriki) Of INISHA Osun State / Are African Americans Qualified To Be A Mixed Race Or Are They Not Mixed Enough? / Yorubas Lets Share Our Lineage Praises Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Sep 03, 2011
tpia@:

Let me clarify my previous post btw, since i'm one of the people saying a nigerian women should date and marry outside their ethnicity more.

If you're waiting for someone from your own ethnicity to date you, and none are forthcoming, then imo go with whoever is available instead of some dream.

The issue of designer children does not apply becasue the designer kids are mainly for show off as opposed to any serious parental feeling.

Thanks for making your earlier contribution a bit clearer.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Sep 03, 2011
@PAGAN,

It is proving to be a bit difficult to keep up with you, since the goalposts keep shifting.

One minute you are part of a pure tribe, the next you are asserting your tribe is also your religion.

all traditional religions have an underlying unity in the basis, be it my Hausa reigion

Are you simply making this up as you go along? grin
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by tpia5: 8:49pm On Sep 03, 2011
@ pagan niaja

its simply a question of being civil and is more of a reflection on a person's upbringing when you can converse with people who hold different views from you.

@ your seeing God in your enemies post.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:32pm On Sep 03, 2011
eGuerrilla:

@PAGAN,

It is proving to be a bit difficult to keep up with you, since the goalposts keep shifting.

One minute you are part of a pure tribe, the next you are asserting your tribe is also your religion.

Are you simply making this up as you go along? grin

thats is the religion of my tribe. i am Maguzawa Haussa.

tpia@:

@ pagan niaja

its simply a question of being civil and is more of a reflection on a person's upbringing when you can converse with people who hold different views from you.

@ your seeing God in your enemies post.

Mr. tpia, by this phrase i mean to say that I see God in all his creations, be it good or bad. this is deep thinking and I must admit the explaining tires me. tongue
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Nobody: 1:13am On Sep 04, 2011
Thanks for the clarifiation @ Pagan.

Maguzawa religion revolves around an infinite number of spirits or iskoki (singular - iska) in Hausa. This literally translates into 'WINDS' There are about 3,000 iskoki in the religion. However, the dominance of Islam in the region has diluted the original meaning of the spirits with the an imposed Islamic canon, and they are also referred to today as Al-Jannu (singular Jinn) also known as the westernised 'Genie'.

Calling yourself a pagan is way off the mark though, don't you think?
You are more of an animist as far I can tell.

Returning to our earlier discussion, are you still arguing the Maguzawa Hausa are to be considered racially pure?
Please elaborate on that line of reasoning, in the interest of posterity.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:49am On Sep 04, 2011
animsts are Pagans too. and we are partially animist lyk most Pagan religion.

The Maguzawa Hausa have never married outside the tribe since its creation, which goes back to the time the lonely wandering caveman/apeman first formed guilds with racial similarities. people who marry outside are generally banished but this has never really happened. marrying other Hausa is generally allowed but most people prefer their Maguzawa people. not that it make much difference.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Ladyjide(f): 5:14pm On Sep 04, 2011
Take the lineage of both and embrace both with open arms.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Sep 04, 2011
animsts are Pagans too. and we are partially animist lyk most Pagan religion.

The Maguzawa Hausa have never married outside the tribe since its creation, which goes back to the time the lonely wandering caveman/apeman first formed guilds with racial similarities. people who marry outside are generally banished but this has never really happened. marrying other Hausa is generally allowed but most people prefer their Maguzawa people. not that it make much difference.

@Pagan,

Thanks for the candid response.
Since you appear to be advocating some kind of racial/tribal/linear purity on this thread, I crave your indulgence one more time.

both my parents are from the same tribe as decreed by the laws of nature and the Gods

How do you reconcile what you wrote up there with assertions made by Aliyu Bunza, which seemingly debunk any notion that the Maguzawa Hausa owes its composition  solely to some organic process of formation?

Many historians consider the Bayajidda legend as the single most important source for Hausa history. Nevertheless, its validity and basic message are still a matter of dispute. After attempts to consider the legend as a reflex of an important immigration having taken place in the early Islamic period there is now a tendency to conceive of it as a late ideological construct in view of justifying Bornoan suzerainty over Hausaland.

From the different available texts of the legend the Daura palace version is the most reliable, hough certain other accounts offer important complements. Two episodes have to be distinguished: a great migration from Mesopotamia and Philistine having only nominal leaders and a movement of fleeing troops led by a scion of the royal house of Bagdad.

From the Daura palace version of the legend and from its cult-dramatic re-enactment during the yearly state festivals it appears that this differentiation also applies to the internal dualism between a Hausa and a Maguzawa or Azna section of society. In all likelihood these two sections of the Hausa-speaking world are the result of an overlapping of the African rural culture by the ancient Near Eastern immigrants
Read more: http://www.liv.ac.uk/history/research/Hausa_identity/Abstracts_Hausa_Norwich.pdf

For disclosure, please note that as an unrepentant Pan-Africanist, I have little sympathy for those who peddle an ethnocentric approach to nation building anywhere on the continent.
I find it retrogressive and inimical to sustainable development.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:06pm On Sep 04, 2011
what assertions have Dr. Aliyu Bunza made?? and the Maguzawa lyk the Kabawa, Zamfarva, Gumava etc are part of the greater Hausa tribe. we are diferent only in religion and certain habits.

i and many people lyk me strongly believe that the Tupshe legend is either a fake, or the original has been tampered with by the later muslims, more so, because its present form was taken from the Kano chronicle. it also says that Bayajidda's father was Abdullahi, King of Baghdad. this is false because none of the Rashidun caliphs at that time were ever called Abdullahi and so were the later caliphs. and your last highlited sentence is baseless because we can and have intermarried with other Haussa (who have sub-tribes) since we are the same people and ethnicity. if you want proof, try a genetic test.

Dr Aliyu also said that the last King of Assyria was Bayajida when in fact, it was Ashur-uballit II. and Bayjida lived @ a later time.

as for Pan-Africanism, African be only united and progress at the same time, with unity in diversity, whereby unity is based on one form of religion,i.e African Traditional Religion and diversity, in the preservance and continuance of the tribes. this will also preserve our culture, morals and values. if we dont do it this way, we'll end up mixed like the African Americans who lack culture and morals and are only interested in s.ex, hip hop and drug abuse.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Nobody: 9:25am On Sep 05, 2011
Thanks for your response once again.
I dare say you appear to have conceded some ground by situating the Maguzawa within its larger parent group  - the Haussa – thereby belying your earlier argument against ‘mixing’ of any sort

and your last highlited sentence is baseless because we can and have intermarried with other Haussa (who have sub-tribes) since we are the same people and ethnicity

Question: What happens to a Maguzawa who marries into one of the other tribes within the larger Haussa ethnic group?
Does such an individual cease to be Maguzawa, in your mind, given the prevalence of Islam as both the dominant religion and culture in Hausaland?

When you talk about unity in diversity, in relation to Pan-Africanism, I sense you are shifting away from the ethnocentrism you expressed earlier. This is progress.

I am little constrained for time at the moment, but feel I should mention that your wholesale categorization of African-Americans as a people who lack culture and morals is no different to the way most sub-Saharan Africans (a term I hate) are regarded in today's Western narrative: corrupt, morally bankrupt, ravaged by famine, disease, etc
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:54pm On Sep 05, 2011
nothing of any sort happens to him slong as the other Haussa has complete Hausa ancestry. the reason  I am hear is to drive islam from Nigeria back to the hell-hole from where it came from. normally, Maguzawa do no marry other Hausa because of the religious barrier and the potential of getting converted and many have, lyk some of my relatives. However, if the muslim Hausa agrees to live as Maguzawa, he/she can marry us Maguzawa.

i have not shifted anywhere. In fact, since my childhood, I have always wished for a unified Africa based on our religion, roots and tribal heritage. but first, I wish to start with my own homeland, Nigeria.

eGuerrilla:

I am little constrained for time at the moment, but feel I should mention that your wholesale categorization of African-Americans as a people who lack culture and morals is no different to the way most sub-Saharan Africans (a term I hate) are regarded in today's Western narrative: corrupt, morally bankrupt, ravaged by famine, disease, etc

our conditions are due to extreme & grievious circumstances. We "sub-Saharan Africans" have two enemies. The climate and foreigners.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Sep 05, 2011
i have not shifted anywhere. In fact, since my childhood, I have always wished for a unified Africa based on our religion, roots and tribal heritage.

Let me get this straight: you long for a unified Africa based solely on the Maguzawa religion and culture?

How is it that you fail to see the glaring contradiction between your noble quest for united Africa on the one hand and your ethnocentrism - which abhors any intermingling with non-Haussa - on the other?
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:45pm On Sep 05, 2011
no you got that twisted: I long for a unified Africa based solely on African Traditional religion and culture.

and my noble quest for united Africa will be accomplished by an equally noble means:               

[center]UNITY IN DIVERSITY[/center]
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Katyetye: 11:13pm On Nov 19, 2011
Since a child is a product of both parents, they can claim membership to both groups.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by OneNaira6: 12:57am On Nov 20, 2011
It should be left up to the Child.  A mixed child can claim one of her parents lineage or both her parents lineage.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by iice(f): 5:43am On Nov 20, 2011
Both.
I had a friend in secondary school, mother is from Ghana and father from Nigeria.
She considered herself both.

Like a friend of mine who is Nigerian-American (like Mariah).
Born and raised in Kuru. Despite her white skin, most people just considered her Nigerian.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by chillbabe(f): 10:51am On Nov 20, 2011
I am mixed my dad if from the Caribbean and my mom from south-America we the kids where born in holland. I have 3 cultures and am proud of it. Am married to a Nigerian u see how rich I am. Food is never boring in our household because we cook everything am very happy with all my cultures like wise my kids.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by anonymous6(f): 2:19pm On Nov 20, 2011
@Emofine
[b]"I am aware that in most cultures the child takes the lineage of the father irrespective of the mothers heritage.

However there are a few cultures that follow the reverse and instead the child's nationality is determined by the mother's background.

Well I began to ponder about those children with duel heritage which clashes. . . i.e if a Ghanaian lady (which I believe takes the maternal side) was to bear a child for a Nigerian man (which gives preeminence to the paternal side) then which nationality does the child then assume?

Also if the scenario was switched around . . thus the mother is Nigerian (which takes the man's lineage) and the father happens to be Ghanaian (which carries the mother's lineage). . . . again I ask which lineage does the child pursue?

Do they (the parents in question) agree with each other upon which lineage the child will follow?

Or do they settle the matter by allowing both cultures to persist in the child?

or are there other options available?"[/b]

In old world countries(especially Africa & the middle east) that is true, however it is changing a little but in new world countries that is not true; now a mixed child can claim any lineage they are but culturally they mostly only follow one and it is based on who their mother is or/and their environment where they are born. I have noticed in Black african countries they respect the view that who ever your father is that is who you are. So most of the time when a African man marries a women of another tribe those kids follow the fathers culture(except if the mother is Ghanian) to a extent, not always though(Nigeria is a example). Although in the western world that rule goes out the window, Most kids tend to follow the mothers culture over the fathers, regardless if they claim all their lineage, because the kids are more closer to the mother cultures then the fathers when it comes to culture(especially if the father is not from that western world). President Obama is a good example, he is Black Kenyan and white American by lineage & blood but culturally he is white American followed by Black or african american(as identity racially) but NOT Kenyan at all.

There is a difference between claiming what lineage is in you and what you follow culturally, and what you follow culturally is more important to old world cultures. I have seen many mixed race and/or ethnicities claim as many lineages they have in them but in the end of the day they usually follow just one culture of theirs. That is the dilemma that most mixed race people, and to a extent mixed etnicities go through and end up as from my observation.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Nobody: 4:37am On Dec 01, 2011
Whatever lineage they choose to identify as. But they should not shrug the other because they'd just be hating their parent basically.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by tpia5: 5:04am On Dec 01, 2011
^^going by your profile photo, arent you mixed?
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Nobody: 5:37am On Dec 01, 2011
tpia@:

^^going by your profile photo, arent you mixed?

I found that comment on youtube. I look like every other black person. My dad is black & mom is half black.

So no, im not 'mixed'.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:49am On Dec 02, 2011
H-Star89:

I found that comment on youtube. I look like every other black person. My dad is black & mom is half black.

So no, im not 'mixed'.

ofcourse you are mixed! you do not have a tribe or ethnic group! angry
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by greeze: 3:07am On Dec 02, 2011
PAGAN  9JA:

[color=#990000][/color] i beg make i hear world u faceless entity
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Dec 02, 2011
wink
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Dec 02, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

do you? my mom is half igbo(black)
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:56pm On Dec 02, 2011
H-Star89:

do you? my mom is half igbo(black)

course i do! I am Hausa Magzawa.

you are still half-Igbo. the rest of you is mixed fruit salad. you are still mixed. tongue
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Dec 04, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

course i do! I am Hausa Magzawa.

you are still half-Igbo. the rest of you is mixed fruit salad. you are still mixed. tongue

nope. im 100%
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:07pm On Dec 04, 2011
H-Star89:

nope. im 100%

but you just told me you are half-Igbo. why are you contradicting yourself woman
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Dec 05, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

but you just told me you are half-Igbo. why are you contradicting yourself woman

100% "black" tongue
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Nobody: 10:06am On Dec 10, 2011
grin
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:51pm On Dec 10, 2011
H-Star89:

100% "black" tongue

there is nothing like that. we are dark brown peoples. Somali is different from Gikuyu or DInka or Congo man or Hutu or Igbo or Hausa or Fulani or Zulu or Mitsonga or Shona. everyone is different you are still mixed.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Dec 11, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

there is nothing like that. we are dark brown peoples. Somali is different from Gikuyu or DInka or Congo man or Hutu or Igbo or Hausa or Fulani or Zulu or Mitsonga or Shona. everyone is different you are still mixed.

idc

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Online English To Igbo Translator ? / ‘igbo Language May Go Extinct’ / 10 Stunning Tribal Facial Tattoos From Around The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.