Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,315 members, 7,780,768 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:35 PM

College Drop-Out In Nigeria - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / College Drop-Out In Nigeria (5926 Views)

When You Are A Drop Out In Nigeria (picture) / Were They Really College Drop Out? / I Want To Drop Out Of School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: College Drop-Out In Nigeria by nightrider: 8:17pm On Mar 16, 2006
Bill Gates dropped out of college, paul allen from microsoft dropped out, mike dell dropped out of college, sold his bmw and started dell computers, roman abramovich's parents died , he dropped out of college. Larry ellison founder of oracle dropped out of college, steve balmer dropped out of grad school. These are the top 10 richest men in the world. . Its the power of the mind.

Some inherit their money especially the arabian oil wealth and walmart folks. But these ones saw a great idea and left school to pursue it.
Rolly:

don't be! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
n

so its not rich italian crooked money.
Re: College Drop-Out In Nigeria by nightrider: 8:18pm On Mar 16, 2006
sorry this is the quote i wanted to insert
Rolly:

don't be! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: College Drop-Out In Nigeria by nightrider: 8:19pm On Mar 16, 2006
whats wrong with my computer

1 Like

Re: College Drop-Out In Nigeria by chinani(f): 8:57pm On Mar 16, 2006
Argh. I feel as though I'm starting an argument I neither want or believe in. I rescind my comment about "crooks" for the sake of world peace. However, according to this list:

5 of the 15 richest people (33%) inherited their money (or the money that sign. helped build their fortune)
2 of the 15 are college grads (13%) (Arnault & Buffet)
2 of the 15 (13%) did I do not believe we can judge b/c their countries were involved in WWI & WWII at the time of their youth & college was not the primary means of getting ahead in society at that time

That leaves us w/ 4 of the 15 richest people in the world dropped out (notice, I distinguished this from not enrolling) of college. 26%.

I think if you go down the list you'll find more of the same. My point? Well dropping out of college is certainly not the end of the road. I was going to drop out but I couldn't afford it. undecided However, dropping out isn't something we should romanticize either. It doesn't make the person more noble, honest, wise, secure, successful, or anything else. My previous posts were just meant to highlight the falseness of presuming that men create Billions by themselves. If you go past these men, to those lowly millionaires, you'll find a few Oprahs but you'll find even more Donald Trumps, men who were bank rolled by their daddies and rich god fathers. ***Bill Gates is also from a very wealthy background. He could afford to drop out of college. (Now, I can feel someone asking (rhetorically?) "isn't it okay to help your son?" the answer: yes.) But for those of us who are not in that position it is best that we don't feast on the fantasy. Man can not live on bread alone. This was my intent in the last few posts. Perhaps I am preaching to the choir. No matter. Skidoc & nightrider, if you read this far, I see your points exactly.

*bows graciously*
Re: College Drop-Out In Nigeria by Seun(m): 1:52am On Mar 17, 2006
I left school due to certain personal problems, and I had to reconstruct my worldview (including abandoning religion) to survive. I am not interested with employment because I will always earn less than people who have the same amount of knowledge but have a degree. I am fiercely determined to be rich because this is about the only way I can prove my value. As long as you don't look down on me because I don't have a degree, we will be fine. On the other hand, if you are my competitor, I want you to under-rate me!

1 Like

Re: College Drop-Out In Nigeria by chinani(f): 2:58am On Mar 17, 2006
I don't look down on anyone, least of all you, well, only those who cook their rice w/o rinses it first, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! lipsrsealed but since I have no intention of being rich, we will never be competitors, so alls good, abi?
Re: College Drop-Out In Nigeria by nightrider: 9:35am On Mar 17, 2006
Seun i understand your post and your view except the abandon religion part. of what use is abandoning religion. Is it an aversion to God. please elucidate, discuss, elaborate , in afew short sentences explain.
Re: College Drop-Out In Nigeria by OldGlory1(m): 3:31pm On Mar 17, 2006
@Chinani

I think you are making some outrageous statements here. Many Billionaires did not inherit their wealth. Bill Gates Founder Microsoft,Warren Buffet Founder Berkshire Hathaway, Larry Ellison Founder Oracle, Oprah Winfrey Founder Harpo Productions ETC. Actually a lot of them made it from innovation not inheritance. Other than the waltons, and the Arab Sheiks, most American Billionaires are self made.

And in the USA, u can have a job without a degree and still be above the poverty line. I have a degree myself and i think it is overrated. I make money from my other skills i learned not from my degree. Many people work on things they are really good at, not always on what they studied. So please make sure that you have you facts right before you make blanket statements.
Re: College Drop-Out In Nigeria by Skidoc(m): 3:47pm On Mar 17, 2006
Well said, OGlory man! cool
Re: College Drop-Out In Nigeria by chinani(f): 9:32pm On Mar 17, 2006
@ Old Glory

From your post I can only assume that you haven't my post or have misinterpreted it. I was not trying to exaggerate and I already mentioned that lost of millions/billions did not inherit their money & stated the very same names. Your post was not news to me so I am moving on. Thanks.

I am glad you have a degree. I am glad you think that ppl w/o a degree live above the poverty line. You're right. Some do. Now, go the us.gov website and look at the statistics of ppl who live BELOW THE POVERTY LINE. I am not talking about those who live above. Kindly re-read my post. I am saying that if you look at the statistics (also known as facts) they reflect that IN AMERICA if ppl who live below the poverty line are "under educated" or w/o college (and sometimes h.s. degrees). Would you like to debate this? You are welcome to it. But, please don't come at me w/ what you "think" I mis-stated, present some facts and I will *happily* change my mind & admit my fault (as I did above, if you were reading)!

Adieu.
Re: College Drop-Out In Nigeria by OldGlory1(m): 9:50pm On Mar 17, 2006
@Chinani
After reading your post again:

I will have to respectfully disagree with some of your comments. First of all, if i read all your post on this topic, i will be confused on what exactly you are trying to say. My point is that you do not have to have a degree in the USA to live above the poverty line. Only about 11-18% or so are considered poor, but only about 50% have degrees. That is simply my point. You cannot equate having a degree to poverty. There are many factors that make people fall short of the poverty line. There are truckers,sewage removers,security men, many police officers,nurses,garbage collectors,waiters, and millions of other blue collar workers whom do not have degrees, but are making some serious money. I misinterpreted you because your point seems to be evolving.My response is from your post on page one. I thought is was too blanket and misguided.
Re: College Drop-Out In Nigeria by zebudaya(m): 7:40pm On Mar 20, 2006
If you have a college degree then you have reasonable resources to make money.
If you drop out of school, but have a marketable skill then you have resources to make money.
After all that's why we go to school to get some skill

comparing yourself to bill gates, and branson won't cut it. Their society is set up in a way that even if you were born poor, with dedication and hardwork, one can become rich. Let's not forget where we come from. Nigeria is not set up like that.

So my point is unless you have some marketable skill which the world would pay you for, go get a degree if you can.
Re: College Drop-Out In Nigeria by Seun(m): 7:44pm On Mar 20, 2006
What marketable skill am I using to make money on Nairaland? It seems to me that I'm not marketing my skills at all; I'm just using them directly myself to create a service that people find valuable. That is entrepreneurship.
Re: College Drop-Out In Nigeria by Rhodalyn(f): 7:46pm On Mar 20, 2006
you gu-ys better leave seun alone
Re: College Drop-Out In Nigeria by zebudaya(m): 7:49pm On Mar 20, 2006
you don't make money off the advertisements?

the post is not about seun, it's about college staying in college or leaving college.

People have to find your services valuable in order to pay for it. you have to have skill in order to create valuable services.
so we are saying the same thing differently.
Re: College Drop-Out In Nigeria by Seun(m): 4:09am On Mar 22, 2006
You're the one that said one needs a marketable skill. My point is that there's a difference between marketing your skills and applying your skills. There's a difference between learning Java so I can get a job - because Java expertise is marketable in the employent marker - and learning PHP so I can use it to build my site. Is it clear now? Just replace the word "marketable" in your early statement with "useful".

There are some consequences to not having a degree. Opening a simple domiciliary account at a bank is a challenge; they think that I must be a 419er to be making money from my bedroom.

1 Like

Re: College Drop-Out In Nigeria by zebudaya(m): 1:47pm On Mar 22, 2006
mar·ket·a·ble (mär'kĭ-tə-bəl) pronunciation
adj.

1. Fit to be offered for sale, as in a market: marketable produce.
2. In demand by buyers or employers; salable: marketable goods; marketable skills.

mar'ket·a·bil'i·ty n.
Re: College Drop-Out In Nigeria by Seun(m): 1:57pm On Mar 22, 2006
In demand by buyers or employers; salable: marketable goods; marketable skills.
- If your product or service [/i]is in demand by customers, it is marketable.
- If your [i]skill
or qualification is in demand by employers, it is marketable.

Customers do not purchase or demand your skills. They purchase your products or services. Those who purchase skills and qualifications are known as employers. I am urging unemployed Nigerian youths to consider creating their own marketable products and services instead of merely working on skills/qualifications and hoping that employers would need those skills. I hope you see the distinction now. I'm not just arguing semantics.

1 Like

Re: College Drop-Out In Nigeria by Yakub1: 9:06am On Jan 01, 2010
Being a drop out is the first stem toward the new age success. in fact it help you make real wealth more than I do online.
I really see obvious progress with this, as I am not one of those who expects big money right away.

Yesterday I had 2 clicks which brought me 1.11$ from Adsense.

In the whole month of November I made 1.12$, so I really really see some progress with this.

I don’t think that I will raise my income significantly over the next, 2010 year. I hope so, but I really think it is not that easy at all.

I am the kind of guy who is accustomed to “baby steps” progress.
Where other people see failure and lose their hopes, I see just another challenge and a motivation to keep pushing, no matter how hard it is.

People around me laugh at me, colleagues at the university tell me that I am crazy and wasting my life.

I think about it this way. In a period of 10 years from now, by the time when I reach the age of 30, I will be making 2x or 3x times more money than them. While they will already be wasted and tired of life, that will actually be the time when I will be gaining bigger and bigger momentum.

In my country people still categorize each other by the university degrees, and the general opinion is that without university your really have NO chance of being successful and financially independent. I believe that me and a handful of other people from the other parts of my small, 4.5 million citizens country will be the first to prove them the opposite and finally bring the 21st century to the rest of the people.

you can see the tips I used on www.doctorwealth..com

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Downgraded Course's In Nigeria / Great Ife: Tell Us Your Experience On Oau Campus / 11 Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Toothpaste By Vasaratti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.