Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,419 members, 7,808,494 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:43 PM

Cheat Sheet: Some Bola Ahmed Tinubu Controversies That Have Refused To Go Away - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cheat Sheet: Some Bola Ahmed Tinubu Controversies That Have Refused To Go Away (415 Views)

'EduGate': 8 Controversies That Led To Betta Edu’s ‘downfall’ / Musiliu Smith: 7 Controversies That Ousted Erstwhile PSC Chairman / 10 Controversies That Shaped The Nationak Assembly In 2021 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Cheat Sheet: Some Bola Ahmed Tinubu Controversies That Have Refused To Go Away by Shehuyinka: 5:35pm On Dec 18, 2022
ONE of Nigeria’s 2023 Presidential election front-runner Bola Ahmed Tinubu has presented himself as the candidate to beat, claiming his opponents are no match for him.

In June of this year, the former governor of Lagos State won the All Progressive Congress (APC) presidential primary by a margin of 1,271 to 2,115 votes, defeating Rotimi Amaechi, the former governor of Rivers State and the minister of transportation, and the incumbent vice president, Yemi Osinbajo.

Called Jagaban by his admirers, Tinubu in some quarters has been dubbed the Svengali of Nigerian politics after playing an instrumental role in the election that brought the current APC-led President Muhammadu Buhari administration to power after ending the People’s Democratic Party sixteen years of rule in 2015.

Tinubu has been the subject of many controversies from the time he became Governor of Lagos in 1999. This year has seen a long string of stories about him. With controversies involving Tinubu, from questionable wealth, ill-health, allegations of certificate and corruption, bagman to heroin traffickers and money-laundering ring investigation.

Tinubu and his team have refuted some of the accusations levelled against him.

In a recent interview with the BBC, Tinubu claimed that he acquired his wealth through several different investments.

In response to a question posed by the interviewer, Tinubu said, “Because you have got know how to analyse and how to ask questions, not in an accusatory format. Are they enemies of wealth? If they are not enemies of wealth, investment do yield. I have an example of Warren Buffet. One of the richest men in the country, in America and in the world. He started from stock buying and brokerages. I inherited great real estate. I turned the values around. I am not denying my wealth. I have not been… I was the most investigated, the most accused governor in the opposition up to, you know, for eight years. and up to until 2007. And since I’ve left the office, I’m still there, I have not taken any government appointment, no government contract.” (sic)

In response to the allegation he has a hold on the finances of Lagos State despite not being the Governor, he said, “Hey, excuse me, share what? Have they proven it? The world bank, IMF has investigated the record in Lagos. What’s wrong with them. It’s envy.” (sic)

The faces

This is a brief summary of some of the issues involving Tinubu.

Tinubu school records

During his first term as Governor of Lagos State, Tinubu was accused of not attending Government College Ibadan and Chicago State University, as indicated in his INEC form 001 filled when he contested the Lagos State governorship poll and that he also lied in the affidavit he attached to the INEC form, in which he declared that he lost his university degree certificate while he was in exile between 1994 and 1998.

The upshot: The Lagos State House of Assembly established a panel, as part of possible impeachment proceedings due to the allegation. The House, after investigating, dismissed all allegations against Tinubu.

Also, in response to the allegation, Tinubu presented the original copy of some of his certificates while he dismissed the allegations as baseless.

Regarding the claim that Tinubu did not attend Chicago State University (CSU), the university confirmed that a Bola A. Tinubu received a degree from the institution in response to a query from The ICIR.

According to Caleb Westberg, a registrar in the university’s Office of Records and Registration, Tinubu attended from August 1977 to June 1979.

Unlike when he ran for governorship, many media reports state that Tinubu did not include his primary and secondary school records in the form he submitted to INEC for his presidential bid.

“The documents showed Tinubu left the columns for his primary and secondary schools education unmarked”, a report by People Gazzette stated.

Another media report from Dail Trust states that Tinubu did not attach copies of the certificates, which he stated in an affidavit, had been stolen.

Tinubu’s CCT Trial

The former governor of Lagos State was accused of violating the constitution by allegedly operating foreign accounts while in office in 2007. In the charges brought against Tinubu by Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) at the tribunal, he was charged with running ten foreign accounts between the time he served as governor, between 1999 and 2007, and the present.

The upshot: On the former governor’s second appearance before the tribunal in 2011, the three-person panel dismissed the case.

It held that “there is no significant basis to proceed against Tinubu as the charges were “defective and shoddy.”

The tribunal held that the charges did not disclose a prima facie case against the accused person as there was no proof of evidence attached to the charge.

Umar said the charges against Tinubu did not show that the accused persons held the accounts.

READ MORE HERE: https://www.icirnigeria.org/from-age-bagman-to-education-bola-tinubus-many-controversies/

Re: Cheat Sheet: Some Bola Ahmed Tinubu Controversies That Have Refused To Go Away by LeoDeKing: 5:44pm On Dec 18, 2022
Bola Ahmed Tinubu is the next president of the fed rep of Nigeria.

Emeka can wail to death.

1 Like

Re: Cheat Sheet: Some Bola Ahmed Tinubu Controversies That Have Refused To Go Away by Hopebringer: 5:48pm On Dec 18, 2022
LeoDeKing:
Bola Ahmed Tinubu is the next president of the fed rep of Nigeria.

Emeka can wail to death.

Imagine a thief and a scammer talking .. this thief and fraudster. grin simplyleo now answering LeoDeKing

Thief and a scammer grin

(1) (Reply)

Tinubu On Collision Course With Buhari / BREAKING: After 12 Years, Basketmouth, Wife End Marriage / Please Disregard The Fake News That 26 Governors Are Backing Tinubu....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.