Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,839 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:46 PM

Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After (5520 Views)

Tension Is In Onitsha For Real Pics / Obama To Host Buhari At Blair House For Three Days / Ekiti Is In Oblivion As Tension Is Very High (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by OAM4J: 3:22am On Sep 01, 2011
[size=13pt]Jos killings continue three days after[/size]

By Taye Obateru
Jos: Tension continued to mount in Jos, the Plateau State capital yesterday, after last Monday’s mayhem which claimed 20 lives, 50 vehicles and 100 motorcycles as both Muslim and Christian youths mobilised against each other in different parts of the state capital.

This was in apparent reprisals for silent killings from both sides. Places like Dogon Karfe, Abattoir, and Massalanci Juma’at Road were enveloped by tension for hours in the morning as security men battled to prevent any clash.

A man and his wife were said to have been stabbed and killed by hoodlums around the railway crossing around Dogon Karfe a development which angered the local youths who mobilized for a reprisal. Word soon got to those in nearby Abattoir area who also trooped out in their numbers ready for a fight.

Security men had to fire warning shots into the air to disperse the rampaging youths when initial appeals failed. The commotion generated by the development resulted in serious traffic jam along the roads leading into and out of the area and this lasted for over three hours. However, calm later returned to the area.

A young man was rescued around Massalanci Juma’at Road after he was seized by hoodlums who were dragging him to a hideout allegedly to be killed which infuriated his kith and kin who mobilized for a clash. Again, it was the timely intervention of security men that saved the situation.

Vehicular and human movement along major streets remained scanty for most parts of the day following rumours of planned reprisal attacks. Nieghbourhood watch groups have also been resuscitated in many areas to forestall any attack.

Meanwhile, the Catholic Archbishop of Jos, Most Rev. Ignatius Kaigama has appealed to the warring groups to sheathe their swords and embrace dialogue. Kaigama who co-heads the inter-religious dialogue body in the state in a statement on Wednesday, described the outbreak of fresh violence as unfortunate stressing that violence would only beget more violence.

He said neither Christianity nor Islam endorsed killings, bloodshed and destruction of people’s hard earned means of livelihood because of religious differences.

“We have always affirmed that dialogue with one another is the best solution irrespective of the level of confrontation or provocation. Knives, bows and arrows, guns, explosives and bombs will never bring about the desired resolution; rather they only heighten mutual hatred which culminates in harvest of unfortunate deaths and misery” the statement said.

He said, the root causes of the incessant crisis due to religious differences must be identified and addressed while appealing to those promoting the violence to stop it in the interest of the common good.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/09/jos-killings-continue-three-days-after/
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by Nobody: 3:50am On Sep 01, 2011
God help us!
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by LoveKing(m): 4:36am On Sep 01, 2011
there is no hope for Jos. there might just be a big 'religious war' coming soon. hand writing is on the wall.
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by Skanas(m): 5:01am On Sep 01, 2011
Oh! Jay town ah miss how u were.SMH, tel me,how did this occur ?
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by toyemz(f): 6:17am On Sep 01, 2011
I think somewhere people are forgetting that Jos is a christain town
you dont see christians going to katsina or kano and try to dominate the town do you?
order needs to be restored and in the right manner
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by Ekans: 7:08am On Sep 01, 2011
Why do we wage wars based on religion?while deepdown we are hypocrites.
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by WebSurfer(m): 8:06am On Sep 01, 2011
too baddd
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by nasty45(m): 8:49am On Sep 01, 2011
Abi ds jos ppl want mk we create new state for dem?i tired o.IN D DAYS OF BABA,STATE OF EMERGENCY FOR DON DE HOLD FOR DT STATE,OUR DULLARD NO KNW BOOK
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by Kemjisuper(m): 9:57am On Sep 01, 2011
Religious Terrorism having yet another filled day cos our weak, dull, nonchalant President is still on the throne! SMH embarassed
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by Nobody: 10:17am On Sep 01, 2011
Me thinks a thread should be opened to know all the true PDP members on NL.
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by Geomel: 10:42am On Sep 01, 2011
Lord Jesus deliver the people in Jos and the state as a whole from every problem that is before them in Jesus name.AMEN
www.web4lagos.com
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by cold(m): 11:07am On Sep 01, 2011
Religion makes sane people do insane things,smh
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:10am On Sep 01, 2011
Why are people bringing God and Allah into this matter - they are just watching like the good bystanders they are, the instrument of their wrath (Boko-Haram) is gladly going to work and doing it well. It is time Nigerians start working with their heads rather than their sentiments. Do 30-40 armed men just disappear into the local community and no one knows who they are  shocked A large proportion of Muslims support the activities of Boko-Haram by their in-action and silence. The root of Sharia is watered by the violence of religious intolerance. I t has always been the case everywhere Religious Terrorism is rife.
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by dvee2: 11:37am On Sep 01, 2011
Why are people bringing God and Allah into this matter - they are just watching like the good bystanders they are, the instrument of their wrath (Boko-Haram) is gladly going to work and doing it well. It is time Nigerians start working with their heads rather than their sentiments. Do 30-40 armed men just disappear into the local community and no one knows who they are A large proportion of Muslims support the activities of Boko-Haram by their in-action and silence. The root of Sharia is watered by the violence of religious intolerance. I t has always been the case everywhere Religious Terrorism is rife.

Some people just type without reasoning.where and how did you come to the conclusion that "a large muslim population support boko haram"? we are talking of how to bring peace back toJos. Boko haram have taken advantage of poor and uneducated people into believing their brand of fanatical islam.even muslims are their targets. Jos crisis is a political cum ethno religious crisis about indigenship.so what are you talking about?
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by hakanai(m): 11:44am On Sep 01, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

Why are people bringing God and Allah into this matter - they are just watching like the good bystanders they are, the instrument of their wrath (Boko-Haram) is gladly going to work and doing it well. It is time Nigerians start working with their heads rather than their sentiments. Do 30-40 armed men just disappear into the local community and no one knows who they are  shocked A large proportion of Muslims support the activities of Boko-Haram by their in-action and silence. The root of Sharia is watered by the violence of religious intolerance. I t has always been the case everywhere Religious Terrorism is rife.

Not if you know talking amounts to Nigeria government exposing you and your family to greater risk.Why?When even the government takes part in the killing of her people that need security and the intimidation/victimization of the good samaritan.
  It is not just about boko haram.Look around you and see the ills around you and tell me how many you have reported to the EFCC,Ministry of Health,NAFDAC,Police,NDLEA,Customs,Army or Immigrations?All Nigerians condone criminality from the smallest level to the highest which is corruption.They simply walk away or just take part period.We are all liable.A stitch in time saves nine.We ignore one and alot more springs up.Coupled with the fact that now we have people who decide to act or do what is right based on sentiments.

Back to Jos,It was planned before now and the christian youths had made there minds to disrupt the festivity.Lets not beat about the bush.over a week now the story had being going round and i for one had felt its mere rumours until they attacked the Muslim worshippers.They had being circulating information for the christians to attack muslims during the EId day to cause problems and also replicate the Xmas eve bombing.
  I have being in town and all was peacfull except for when the Eid came.They know and it is co-ordinated.The killings have leaders and master minds.Around bukuru the berom youths have repeatedly tried to attack Muslim communities even yesterday night.Around Zawan they have succeeded in Burning a trailer.People coming here to justify one action over the other simply want it to rage on.Violence must be condemn regardless of the perpetrators.Where you see no reason to blame a killer or murderer simply because he is your kins man or fellow worship means ill for the nation and prelude to the total collapse to sanity,justuce and peace.
    The beroms are the main instigators here or christian youths.Even where after the xmas eve bombing alot of muslim leaders especially the same Izala sect leader who publicly condemn the action of Boko haram on that occasion.The same leader who woke up to also find bomb in his compund that failed to go off or cause harm.secondly after the bombing immediately the youths went on a killing spree to retaliate.around dogon karfe,Abbator and anguwan rukuba.Killing Muslims.So if you had carried out such an attack,why still repeat it now to justify the past.If not that you don't mean well and encourage a fraudulent peace.I was in town during the eve and no one should tell me.Because i know.
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by Kizilala: 11:46am On Sep 01, 2011
toyemz:

you dont see christians going to katsina or kano and try to dominate the town do you?

Don't mind those Hausa/Fulani war mongers.
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by hakanai(m): 12:07pm On Sep 01, 2011
toyemz:

Kizilala:

Don't mind those Hausa/Fulani war mongers.

Keep talking crap!!! How many times has sabo-gari being invade?I mean without the occupants repel such invasion!Same is what is happening in Jos.Your fellow berom militia(aka Xtian youths) try to over run Muslim dominated areas.Not that the muslims try to invade your zones.they more often than not try to over run areas that have Muslims.The smaller muslim communities you have succeeded in doing so.What is left is the densely concentrated muslim zones which you can do anything about.communities Like kuru karama,Tim Tim,heipang etc Kuru karama was a genocide.confirmed!!!
If you look at the pattern the fighting are along border areas mainly surrounding the Muslim communities.They always gang up from several berom communities and sometimes include Igbo warriors to unleash attacks.the question always, where is the security? that such a number can mass up and transport themselves to Muslim areas to attack them.It is only when the carnage has started that you see them sometimes coming to shoot at people who are forced to defend themselves.
The fulanis have developed the condemnable method of continued raids on the berom since they hardly have a definite location and are mingled with the berom communities.The beroms have always attacked them and the community heads would pretend they don't know.When the fulanis mobilize and hit them back they call a gathering to discuss and prefer peace. after a little while they again kill another innocent fulani for there cattles.So the circle continues.Between the fulani and the beroms.If we are since go and find out about any Fulani attack you would find a prior attack on them that has led to such.Usually after they have exausted all means including traditional rulers of the beroms and law enforcers. Some would say its just cattle?You need to now they usually in most case kill the herder.
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by phreakabit(m): 1:08pm On Sep 01, 2011
This wars have nothing to do with religion! The whole Christian vs Muslim hing is cheap propaganda. If it not why the hell are animists being killed too? We all know that its just those Fulani/Hausa barbarians doing what they know how to do best. The sooner they are annihilated in Plateau state the better.
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by linjok(f): 1:11pm On Sep 01, 2011
Hell, await those that take human life.
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by obinna120: 1:13pm On Sep 01, 2011
when i remember jos city of blessed memory i weep.how my best home has been ruined.i had to flee when the heat began.who will deliver jos? solution is not in sight because parasites have eaten deep into its fabrics.a stranger is a stranger no matter how you look at it.nigeria is not yet up to the stage of leaving a settler to become you landlord.Plateu is made up many ethnic minorities that a settler wants to stamp out of their God-given land of great potentials. my heart goes out to you all.
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by Gbenge77(m): 2:01pm On Sep 01, 2011
Whatever happened to Jos?It used to be a serene city.Whatever happened to Jos?It used to be a serene city.
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by dvee2: 2:04pm On Sep 01, 2011
And the hyprocrisy and double standard reporting of the Nigerian media does not help matters. the christmas eve bombing is widely reported as muslim youth bombing churches at the eve of xmas,however no paper is reporting that the 10 people killed at unguwan rukuba are muslims just going for pre-sallah prayers.among those killed is their scholar who had often come out to condemn boko haram and who was a menber of the state peace commitee working with the state bishop to quell this crisis.Even the state Bishop hsa spoken against this round of christian killing.However some pple on nairaland have no fact but just to comment unfairly.BOTH SIDE SHOULD STOP THE KILLINGS.thats my take.It doesnt matter what religion you belong to,when you kill,hell awaits you.
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by islamrules(m): 2:30pm On Sep 01, 2011
God help them oooo
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:31pm On Sep 01, 2011
there is an old igbo saying that goes like this "when fowls hold judgment, a cockroach is always guilty" we are all picking religion as the primary cause of Religious Crisis in Nigeria. I choose to differ on such matters because from records the North is rife with crisis often reported with Religious origins. There are Muslims in the south too are there not?

There is an element at work that the "Free Press" have conveniently pushed into the background
Politics : Religion is a practice as old as Politics and is intricately linked to a nation's leadership. this is the trend from centuries past. When a region's political grasps is failing on a national scale, Religious agitation is served to prop it up. This is because when Political Power is disturbed, the Poverty and Corruption is exposed significantly and the hardship on the populace is magnified; the natives become angry and their target are usually those from an ethnically or religiously different background - Hitler and the Jews. The Truth is Northern Leadership have done very little to improve the Economic and Political fortunes of its ethnic stock and unfortunately the North is by far the most impoverished (intellectually, economically and socially) regions of Nigeria, a region more likely to become socially unstable due to the effects of poverty. the poor are more likely to turn to God for answers than the economically well-to-do and if Political Elements shore up Religious friction that already exists, it accelerates Religious violence. This is really a[b] Symptom of Political Manoeuvrings not a cause of crisis in the North [/b]
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by golamike: 3:17pm On Sep 01, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

Why are people bringing God and Allah into this matter - they are just watching like the good bystanders they are, the instrument of their wrath (Boko-Haram) is gladly going to work and doing it well. It is time Nigerians start working with their heads rather than their sentiments. Do 30-40 armed men just disappear into the local community and no one knows who they are shocked A large proportion of Muslims support the activities of Boko-Haram by their in-action and silence. The root of Sharia is watered by the violence of religious intolerance. I t has always been the case everywhere Religious Terrorism is rife.

Let's be careful of the things we post here. God is bigger than anyone!
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by moneygenee: 3:23pm On Sep 01, 2011
omg
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by Nobody: 5:30pm On Sep 01, 2011
Jos crisis often falls under several categories:
1.xtian/muslim conflict.
2.hausa/other ethnic groups
3.fulani herdsmen/berom farmers.
Now hausas are mostly islamic so the conflicts tend to assume religious dimensions. Except this recent conflict almost all other conflicts were begun by young hausa men.
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by darqly(m): 9:11pm On Sep 01, 2011
I woke to a hate-filled, inciting and violent sermon blaring from the speakers of a local mosque on saturday last week. It was obviously a tape recording and if I heard it, thousands of other residents did too. We cannot keep telling ourselves we have been wronged and must exact revenge, which was the gist of the sermon. Jos that i grew up in has morphed into a mini-somalia; with local militias holding sway in different 'unguwar'. Last nite, the tension was so palpable you could lean on it. Then some daft person lets off one round from the market axis,muslim area. The response from right outside my gate was nerve wracking- The vigilantes unleashed burst after burst of machine gun fire that had even the soldiers alarmed. Both sides are armed and are itching to test their new toys. Everyone in the town has taken sides, and none is willing to back down. While the state govt, PDP and FG play chess with our lives in Jos, they forget that this strife CAN and WILL ultimately consume Nigeria. Killings are a way of life now and no one is ever brought to book. I abhor the thought of taking a human life but some do it like a hobby. There is much evil going on and God will hold all of us accountable.
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by Nobody: 11:17pm On Sep 01, 2011
darqly:

I woke to a hate-filled, inciting and violent sermon blaring from the speakers of a local mosque on saturday last week. It was obviously a tape recording and if I heard it, thousands of other residents did too. We cannot keep telling ourselves we have been wronged and must exact revenge, which was the gist of the sermon. Jos that i grew up in has morphed into a mini-somalia; with local militias holding sway in different 'unguwar'. Last nite, the tension was so palpable you could lean on it. Then some daft person lets off one round from the market axis,muslim area. The response from right outside my gate was nerve wracking- The vigilantes unleashed burst after burst of machine gun fire that had even the soldiers alarmed. Both sides are armed and are itching to test their new toys. Everyone in the town has taken sides, and none is willing to back down. While the state govt, PDP and FG play chess with our lives in Jos, they forget that this strife CAN and WILL ultimately consume Nigeria. Killings are a way of life now and no one is ever brought to book. I abhor the thought of taking a human life but some do it like a hobby. There is much evil going on and God will hold all of us accountable.

I think the youths at Rukuba felt it was quite provoking for the same Muslims to come back to pray in the same locality they bombed last Christmas. No Christian goes to churches in predominantly Muslim areas that have been burned. And when the Army chooses to take sides with Muslims, it does not help the situation at all. And yes, they so-called Muslim areas are largely dense slums which are a constant source of danger to innocent University students. Since many of the settlers cannot produce genuine CofO's, I think a massive demolition of these problem areas is due. For those with genuine CofO's, compensation
should be given. Only when these slums are leveled to the ground and a new planned area built, peace will remain elusive. For that to happen, Martial Law might be necessary.
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by Nobody: 11:25pm On Sep 01, 2011
Sorry, not Martial Law in the traditional sense. Any democratically elected government should be given due security powers it deserves to police its borders. Do you think if Plateau State had its own State police, this nonsense will still continue? No other people would be more zealous to protect and preserve their city and state than those who originate from there. But to level unwelcome slums in both Christian and muslim areas for the sake of peaceful development will be a good start. Learn how the South Africans did it in the past.
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by hakanai(m): 1:48pm On Sep 02, 2011
^^^ Jang loving brother.With what revenue and what resources would you compensate people.You have a state that is upside down and economically not sound and alot of unemployed and homeless people.Provide security to all and Jobs then with time you can talk of implement such huge projects.
Having state police would simply encourage genocide and cover ups period.Even the present security is compromised.You have several situations during Onovo as IGP transferring police from the state simply because the indigents in the force shot and killed the Hausas in there homes and also deceived the Hausas to stay in doors while they secretly allow the indigents infiltrate there communities to burn there houses.If they come out to defend they attack them in the name of quelling the crisis.Today both sides are skeptical of one force or the other.the blend of fed. force is what keeps security above the level of bias.
State Police is supported but not in this current time.Lastly who started really?Don't forget it started after a christian lady went to disturb a Muslim prayer and later her kinsmen came to attack the worshipers afterwards resulting in the fracas that issued.During Dariyes government.So stop lying about the cause.For months now Jos has had peace until the same xtians strangled a door repair man and an okada rider around same rukuba areas.The victims all Muslim and Hausas.Also they went on to seize around a 150 cattle and kill 3 herds men in Heipang and refuse to return the stolen cattle until the fulanis attacked them.They called for dialogue.They berom/Christian youths always start it and use the media to justify there actions as defense.Even the governor seem to be tired and has lost control the useless youths he once controlled.As they even accuse him.because he simply is being fair and asking for a probe of there actions in rukuba and environs.
Now i hear the latest is they cannibalize the corpse of the victims!!!! undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Tension Is Still High In Jos Three Days After by Nobody: 3:21pm On Sep 02, 2011
haka_nai:

^^^ Jang loving brother.With what revenue and what resources would you compensate people.You have a state that is upside down and economically not sound and alot of unemployed and homeless people.Provide security to all and Jobs then with time you can talk of implement such huge projects.
Having state police would simply encourage genocide and cover ups period.Even the present security is compromised.You have several situations during Onovo as IGP transferring police from the state simply because the indigents in the force shot and killed the Hausas in there homes and also deceived the Hausas to stay in doors while they secretly allow the indigents infiltrate there communities to burn there houses.If they come out to defend they attack them in the name of quelling the crisis.Today both sides are skeptical of one force or the other.the blend of fed. force is what keeps security above the level of bias.
State Police is supported but not in this current time.Lastly who started really?Don't forget it started after a christian lady went to disturb a Muslim prayer and later her kinsmen came to attack the worshipers afterwards resulting in the fracas that issued.During Dariyes government.So stop lying about the cause.For months now Jos has had peace until the same xtians strangled a door repair man and an okada rider around same rukuba areas.The victims all Muslim and Hausas.Also they went on to seize around a 150 cattle and kill 3 herds men in Heipang and refuse to return the stolen cattle until the fulanis attacked them.They called for dialogue.They berom/Christian youths always start it and use the media to justify there actions as defense.Even the governor seem to be tired and has lost control the useless youths he once controlled.As they even accuse him.because he simply is being fair and asking for a probe of there actions in rukuba and environs.
Now i hear the latest is they cannibalize the corpse of the victims!!!! undecided undecided undecided undecided
Who are you to say about the state of the State's economy? Only very few people have legitimate CofO's anyway. And no project is too huge an undertaking. I know places with far less but will even tax anything they eat just to get the job done. Christian lady disturb Muslim prayers? Hilarious! So according to Islam that is a death sentence, along with the Igbo man who tried to help her? Any person even students in Unijos will feel safe in Christian areas. Last time I heard, muslim okada riders took poor innocent students during the Post Jamb exercise to be killed by hoodlums there. Everybody knows the muslim areas are far from safe. Now since the cattle people claim to be all over West Africa and have a large playground to roam around, why attack innocent farmers in their own ancestral lands and destroy their crops? Is it by force? Truth is, nobody wants you. Even in the wider context of Nigeria, you have been a source of irritation. I think there is so far you can get before the inevitable happens anyway. And yes, I have noticed some of your misinformation. You don't live in Jos and so rely on rumors.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Anyone Watching Father Mbaka On NTA? / Jonathan Bans Gmb From Receiving International Visitors And Guests Till May 29 / OMG! See How Gov Amosun Is Constructing A Major Road In 2016!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.