Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,869 members, 7,802,800 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:53 PM

Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas (17616 Views)

Petrol Price Crashes At Depots Amid Low Demand / Keyamo: LP ‘Riling Up’ Nigerians Against Judiciary Over Presidential Election / GUTA Locks Up Nigerians’ Shops In Kumasi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by Nobody: 6:23am On Dec 22, 2022
The queues for Premium Motor Spirit, popularly called petrol, which were gradually abating recently, suddenly re-emerged on Wednesday in many cities, including Lagos and Abuja.

The development clearly shows that Nigerians face bleak Christmas as fuel scarcity has started taking a toll on motorists, who have hiked their fares.

It was gathered that many depots were currently running out of the product, a development that reduced supplies from depots to retail stations across the country.

In Abuja, many filling stations, particularly those of independent oil marketers, remained closed due to lack of products, while the few outlets of major marketers that dispensed petrol started witnessing queues from mid-day till evening on Wednesday.

The Conoil and Total filling stations located directly opposite the headquarters of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited witnessed queues on Wednesday afternoon till evening.

Similarly, a filling station opposite Transcorp Hilton Hotel in the Federal Capital Territory started witnessing massive queues in the evening, despite the fact that the gates of the outlet were shut to motorists, as attendants at the station tried to offload a fuel tanker.

Oil marketers told one of our correspondents that the brief period when the queues cleared was basically due to the intervention of the Department of State Services after the DSS ordered the NNPCL to address the situation.

They stated that the order to the NNPCL and marketers made the national oil company to release large volumes of the product but stressed that this only addressed the fuel crisis briefly.

The Secretary, Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria, Abuja-Suleja, Mohammed Shuaibu, said there was still PMS supply shortfall from the NNPCL, stressing that the re-emerging queues in Lagos, Abuja and other cities had revealed this.

He said the NNPCL was focusing on city centres of Abuja and Lagos, while neglecting areas that were far away from cities, adding that aside from queues in these areas, the cost of petrol in those locations was higher than N200/litre.

Shuaibu said, There’s a shortfall in supply but the NNPCL will be telling you not to panic, and that they have products when we cannot see them. Look at our depots, our tanks are empty.

No petroleum marketer that used his money or borrowed money from the bank to build and invest in a filling station will lock up his station at the end at the end of the day without any cogent reason.”

Asked whether depots in Abuja were empty, for instance, the Suleja Depot, Shuaibu replied, “It is. Any product you see today that comes through the Suleja Depot is by bridging.

“And when you go down south, you’ll be buying from depot owners at a high price. That is why the NNPCL should be held responsible. It should explain why the product is not in circulation.”

Filling stations

Also speaking, the President, Natural Oil and Gas Association of Nigeria, Benneth Korie, stated that a lot of filling stations were currently folding up due unavailability of the PMS to dispense and the challenges associated with accessing the product.

He said, “We are sacrificing a lot by doing this business with losses every day. Go and see the number of filling stations that have folded up in Nigeria. For the depots, how many of them have fuel to sell?”

He stated that the availability of petrol in Nigeria was currently the problem facing operators in the downstream and not necessarily the cost of the commodity.

Korie, however, explained that the cost of the PMS at filling stations operated by major marketers had been below N200/litre because major oil marketers often got their products directly from NNPCL.

He said independent marketers at times made purchase from these major marketers, as this was why the cost of petrol at retail outlets operated by independent marketers was usually higher than N200/litre.

“We are all marketers, but it depends on how you get your own product. They (major marketers) get their products from source (NNPCL) and we get ours from them (major marketers). So, don’t expect us to sell less than them,” he stated.

Meanwhile, the NOGASA president pointed out that the hike in diesel price was also impacting negatively on the supply and cost of petrol.

He said, “One major cause for the hike in the cost of petrol and its scarcity is the price of diesel. This is because you use diesel to transport the PMS across the country. The vessels that bring in the PMS use diesel to ferry the product.

“You use diesel to operate depots, filling stations and others. So, this is also a major cause for the high cost of petrol. If you bring the price of diesel down to about N170/litre as it was some months ago before jumping to the current high price, who would sell the PMS at the rate which its being sold now?”

The NNPCL, which is the sole importer of petrol into Nigeria for several years now, has remained mute on the issue of fuel scarcity in Nigeria, despite the lingering crisis nationwide.

Similarly, the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority, which recently claimed that NNPCL had enough products, had failed to prove this, nor stop marketers from selling petrol at exorbitant pump prices.

NNPCL’s 2.5bn litres

The PUNCH observed that fuel scarcity worsened despite the claim by NNPC that it had imported over 2.5 billion litres of petrol, enough to keep the country wet during the festive season.

It was observed that the situation had yet to abate in Lagos as motorists were seen in long queues at filling stations.

Oil marketers told The PUNCH in Lagos that private depot owners kept increasing prices, as petrol was currently sold to filling stations at more than N200/litre depending on the arrangement with each retail outlet.

“Our members don’t have products because NNPCL is not giving us. But for those who have, they go to private depots to buy for over N200/litre, depending on individual arrangement,” the Chairman, IPMAN Satellite depot, Akin Akinrinade, had told The PUNCH.

The association recently issued a seven-day ultimatum to the Federal Government over price disparities, as regards the amount which products were being sold to its members and members of the Major Oil Marketers Association of Nigeria.

Akinrinnade revealed that MOMAN members and depot owners were buying directly from NNPCL at the regulated price of N148/litre, while IPMAN members had to buy from private depots for N220/litre.

Our correspondent observed that filling stations belonging to NNPCL dispensed petrol at N169/litre, members of MOMAN sold theirs at N170/litre, while IPMAN members were selling at about N250/litre depending on the location.

It was observed that many motorists and other fuel users scrambled to get fuel at N169/litre from NNPCL retail stations, thereby worsening traffic gridlock on the expressway.

1 Share

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by Nobody: 6:31am On Dec 22, 2022
Here is the problem

1.NNPC is bringing in fuel above N510 and selling it at N148 to depot as at this month...that is no longer sustainable.

2.From the article above, some indepdendent depots are buying from major marketers...at high prices...which means that they have to sell at a loss to keep to NNPC price of N179

3.Diesel costs are impuigning on overall fuel costs.

At the end, subsidy has to go to bring an end to the crisis.

I know, Nigerians will suffer. I wish it was not so, and to all those who insult me about my support for fuel subsidy removal....I have heard, I have considered it, and God knows that if there was a way to keep petrol at even N20 per liter for the sake of the poor and needy, I would take it.

But we cannot import fuel at N500 AND ABOVE , and sell it at N179, and expect miracles.

Even if we refine at home, we cannot refine fuel below N200 per liter. Before transport self.

You can insult me, you can abuse me, you can call me names, but if you won't sell at a loss....you cannot expect the petrol industry to sell at a loss...because you will encourage them to do sharp practices...which is what is happening.

It is wishful economics to import fuel at N510 and sell it at N148 and pay subsidy, that would have been used to pay for refineries , new and old...to cover the losses...while the cost of production goes up

The DSS move was lipstick on a pig. Lipstick on a pig won't turn it into Miss World...it will still be a pig. At the end, people were not moving product out because they could not afford to do so at a loss. DSS should have stuck to security. Economics is not their forte.

Either we pay the market price of fuel at the pump...like they do elsewhere...or we pay it at the IMF HQ, with them dictating the terms.

GEJ, in a way, was right in 2012. As was NOI and SLS.

Good morning.

Anyone quoting me to abuse should remember....NNPC brings in fuel at N510 as at November and sells it at N180 now. In June last year it was N261, in 2011 it was N99 and sell it at N65.

Also remember that we have been doing the same thing for several years....decades

Then a lot of things will make sense.

Thanks for playing.

Modified

HERE IS THE SOURCE OF THE N510 landing cost..

60 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by Afiahomes(m): 9:56am On Dec 22, 2022
too bahd cry
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by AngusTV: 9:57am On Dec 22, 2022
Kobonaire234:
Here is the problem

1.NNPC is bringing in fuel above N510 and selling it at N148 to depot as at this month...that is no longer sustainable.

2.From the article above, some indepdendent depots are buying from major marketers...at high prices...which means that they have to sell at a loss to keep to NNPC price of N179

3.Diesel costs are impuigning on overall fuel costs.

At the end, subsidy has to go to bring an end to the crisis.

I know, Nigerians will suffer. I wish it was not so, and to all those who insult me about my support for fuel subsidy removal....I have heard, I have considered it, and God knows that if there was a way to keep petrol at even N20 per liter for the sake of the poor and needy, I would take it.

But we cannot import fuel at N500 AND ABOVE , and sell it at N179, and expect miracles.

Even if we refine at home, we cannot refine fuel below N200 per liter. Before transport self.

You can insult me, you can abuse me, you can call me names, but if you won't sell at a loss....you cannot expect the petrol industry to sell at a loss...because you will encourage them to do sharp practices...which is what is happening.

It is wishful economics to import fuel at N510 and sell it at N148 and pay subsidy, that would have been used to pay for refineries , new and old...to cover the losses...while the cost of production goes up

The DSS move was lipstick on a pig. Lipstick on a pig won't turn it into Miss World...it will still be a pig. At the end, people were not moving product out because they could not afford to do so at a loss. DSS should have stuck to security. Economics is not their forte.

Either we pay the market price of fuel at the pump...like they do elsewhere...or we pay it at the IMF HQ, with them dictating the terms.

GEJ, in a way, was right in 2012. As was NOI and SLS.

Good morning.

Exactly.

When GEJ wanted to do it, they thought he was wicked and didn't care about the people.

Subsidy removal was even used to campaign against him.

Now we are back to that discussion, at a time when the economy is bad and cost of living has risen.

How will the average Nigerian cope if the government take out subsidy.

31 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by obinna58(m): 9:57am On Dec 22, 2022
Incompetency at every level, there are many ways Nigeria could be much better but the leaders are very lazy and always choosing the easy side, see dem fat belly sitting in the office doing nothing.

An average Nigerian is greedy, very selfish and aggressive

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by xynerise: 9:57am On Dec 22, 2022
Normal levels during Xmas period

6 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by agadez007(m): 9:58am On Dec 22, 2022
Yoruba people are quiet because some of them want emilokan to be there,so no wahala
Even if the country burns as far as emilokan wins
nobody is occupying Ojota because it’s not Jonathan

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by SexyBabe001: 9:58am On Dec 22, 2022
Toor... Why do we always have this sabotage during the Christmas period? Why is there fuel scarity always Christmas time and the annoying thing is that someone will still come and defend this...

Sufferhead dey sweet una? Una no dey shame? This is annoying

Hmmmm..

Dear Men,

I sell quality leather shoes for Christmas.. Don't wear same shoes of three years into this year again...

100% quality leather shoes... Lagos Delivery only

https://www.nairaland.com/7482791/christmas-sales-men-quality-leather

Check the thread for more photos

8 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by kingamaa(m): 9:58am On Dec 22, 2022
When will this perennial problem stop especially around Christmas period? ( now is every month)

Suffering in the midst of surplus

Who do us like this?

Austerity on top food and fuel scarcity

6 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by sukkot: 9:58am On Dec 22, 2022
shocked black market beckons
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by ada9ja(f): 9:59am On Dec 22, 2022
APC dey mad

8 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by Mindlog: 9:59am On Dec 22, 2022
Same, same. angry
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by FrancescoFarino(f): 9:59am On Dec 22, 2022
Nigeria my country

Africa my continent
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by ilovenicloe(f): 9:59am On Dec 22, 2022
APC is a failed party

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by EjaikreTheViper(f): 9:59am On Dec 22, 2022
F
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by Sabadon(m): 10:00am On Dec 22, 2022
Suffering in midst of plenty cry

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by Enemyofpeace: 10:00am On Dec 22, 2022
Very very satanic government and some people are still thinking of voting for the same useless party

6 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by frank33(m): 10:00am On Dec 22, 2022
About 2months to go, who will win this Presidential election?
Like for Peter, share for Tinubu

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by bigdammyj: 10:01am On Dec 22, 2022
Noted.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by nymphomaniac(m): 10:01am On Dec 22, 2022
Really sad. I bought 230/ltr and wondered who cursed us as a nation.

I just poured my last 5ltr which will take me home and after that, like the biblical widow and her son, it’s to park the car at home and hope for the best.

It’s sad that there is scarcity in the midst of plenty due to mismanagement and corruption.

God will help us get things right in 2023.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by oteneaaron(m): 10:01am On Dec 22, 2022
Can't we just let go of this scam called subsidy?

Since January this year it has been from one fuel scarcity to another.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by blingxx(m): 10:02am On Dec 22, 2022
What a fvcked up country

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by AYOMIDE1948(m): 10:02am On Dec 22, 2022
grin
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by AchichaMmuo: 10:02am On Dec 22, 2022
The Evil part called APC. We never had it this bad during Jonathan era, straight up a month fuel scarcity on a festive period! and from all indication, will linger into 2023.

4 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by kennyz247(m): 10:03am On Dec 22, 2022
useless government
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by Angelfrost(m): 10:03am On Dec 22, 2022
Well, you all fought and insulted GEJ in 2012 when he did the needul.

Those who fought and instigated riots against him are now in the seat of power, suddenly they can't perform the very miracle they demanded of the former president.

If subsidy had been allowed to die in 2012 by both supporters and foes of GEJ, we would be way ahead of this economic curve by now.

Sadly, if the subsidy has to go today, it will come at a horrendously higher price than it would have been in 2012!

It's such a shame that foresight is not the strong suit of an average Nigerian both common and elite.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by sankky: 10:04am On Dec 22, 2022
They will not be able to figure out who is their petroleum minister; neither will they ask the basic question about who foisted this failed and irredeemably corrupt minister on them.
Fact is, the later has openly boasted several times about the feat of this unfortunate fostering, knowing quite well the shallowness of the negro's IQ level and his inability to retain longterm memories.
Fact is, there is more effort tailored towards suppressing the information about the full impact of this scarcity on the suffering negros than is tailored towards solving same.
But who cares ? Not even the suffering dolts !

4 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by Sultty(m): 10:06am On Dec 22, 2022
see apc see shege sad

4 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by FarahAideed: 10:07am On Dec 22, 2022
Vote useless govt win useless prize

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Have What It Takes To Succeed Buhari As Nigeria's President - Prof Imumolen / Estimated Billing: NERC To Sanction EKEDC, 6 Others / FCTA Speaks On Rumoured Boko Haram Attack In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.