Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,234 members, 7,807,781 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:05 PM

Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! (3587 Views)

London Court Jails Nigerian Three Years For Flogging Son / Father And Mother Abandon Six Children For Landlady, Go Their Separate Ways (vid / My Wife Is Using Excuses To Abandon Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by Kobojunkie: 9:29pm On Dec 22, 2022
Abandon your Spouse, go to Jail for three years!

In Nigeria, it is not unusual for a man or woman to abandon the immediate family and move on. Indeed, it is becoming a normal occurrence for a spouse especially the man, to abandon his responsibilities in the home and abscond in order to move in with another lover or even to an entirely unknown place to avoid responsibilities. However, for those engaging in this act and those encouraging such, it is time to desist, else a jail term is imminent as the law now frowns on such act and has made it a criminal offence.
No longer will the law accept such as a family issue as the VAPP Act has made it a crime to abandon one’s spouse, children or other dependants under the domestic offences section.

A provision like this is why the Violence Against Persons and (Prohibition) Act (VAPP) 2015 is described as a child of necessity in the fight against violence dominating the domestic and public space in Nigeria.

Section 16 of the VAPP Act makes provisions for cases of abandonment of children, spouse and other dependants without means of sustenance. Section 16 (1) provides that any person who abandons his or her spouse, children and other dependents without means of sustenance is liable for punishment with maximum three years imprisonment or N500,000 fine or both.

Section 16 (2) says anyone who attempts to abandon his children, spouse and other dependants without means of sustenance is liable for punishment with maximum two years imprisonment or N200,000 fine or both. 16 (3) provides that any person who incites or counsels another to abandon his or her spouse, children and other dependents without means of sustenance is liable for punishment with maximum two years imprisonment or N200, 000 fine or both and 16 (4) states that any person who  receives  or  assists another  who, to his  or her  knowledge, committed this offence  is  considered an accessory after  the fact  and is  liable  on conviction  to a term  of imprisonment with maximum one year imprisonment or N100,000 fine or both.

It is indeed time for dead beat parents to sit up and live up to their responsibilities while neighborhood counselors that give inciting advice must now watch what they encourage else they face the wrath of the law.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/abandon-your-spouse-go-to-jail-for-three-years/

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by JASONjnr(m): 9:34pm On Dec 22, 2022
Wielding this kind of power to a Nigerian woman will mean hell for an average Nigerian male....

Alot of these girls with their fowl and aggressive behaviours will ensure that they frustrate any man they begin to lose feelings for ...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by Kobojunkie: 9:35pm On Dec 22, 2022
JASONjnr:
Wielding this kind of power to a Nigerian woman will mean hell for an average Nigerian male....
Alot of these girls with their fowl and aggressive behaviours will ensure that they frustrate any man they begin to lose feelings for ...
Stop going around, waving your dicks around as if na superpower you get as you go about impregnating them, and they will leave you alone! undecided

10 Likes

Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by JASONjnr(m): 9:38pm On Dec 22, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Stop going around, wielding your dicks as if weapons, impregnating them and they will leave you alone! undecided

Can you survive without a dicking session?

Even Linda who preached celibacy got pregnant out of the blue....

4 Likes

Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by nicerod(m): 9:40pm On Dec 22, 2022
grin grin grin

Summary please

Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by brain54(m): 9:40pm On Dec 22, 2022
So by your logic…

You admit a high case of abandonment but not of divorce?
Whatever the difference by you. Because abandonment is just an unofficial way of divorce.

Kobojunkie.
Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by Kobojunkie: 9:41pm On Dec 22, 2022
JASONjnr:
Can you survive without a dicking session? Even Linda who preached celibacy got pregnant out of the blue....
And this mentality is the reason why you keep engaging those same women. You folks have turned your lives into chronic drama — always complaining —by your refusal to live intentionally. undecided

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by Jennyclay(f): 9:42pm On Dec 22, 2022
The so called "head of family" should come and open this thread and learn something meaningful.
Some men would run away from their responsibilities and leave the financial burden on the woman alone.

Sometimes I really hope FG could sign a law stating broke men should stay far away from marriage/relationships and he would be sentenced to 5 years in jail for breaking the law.
I pray FG should look into this.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by JASONjnr(m): 9:42pm On Dec 22, 2022
Kobojunkie:
And this mentality is the reason why you keep engaging those same women. You folks have turned your lives into chronic drama — always complaining —by your refusal to live intentionally. undecided

Lol....

And the ladies love it....

You're bittered, you haven't had a nice moment with Mr. dick.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by Kobojunkie: 9:43pm On Dec 22, 2022
brain54:
So by your logic…You admit a high case of abandonment but not of divorce?
Whatever the difference by you. Because abandonment is just an unofficial way of divorce...
ROFLMAO
grin grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

This logic was never just mine as you yourself admitted that divorce was high even though it was unofficial meaning you also perceived abandonment as divorce though you kept denying it. grin

7 Likes

Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by brain54(m): 9:46pm On Dec 22, 2022
Kobojunkie:
ROFLMAO
grin grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

This logic was never just mine as you yourself admitted that divorce was high even though it was unofficial meaning you also perceived abandonment as divorce, even though you kept lying that you didn't. grin
Maybe we should state the terms clearly…

What is abandonment and what is divorce? What is/are the difference(s)?
Na your logic. Because you are the one who kept throwing it in your arguments. I don’t even know what it means. Explain.
Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by Kobojunkie: 9:49pm On Dec 22, 2022
brain54:
Maybe we should state the terms clearly…
What is abandonment and what is divorce? What is/are the difference(s)?
Na your logic. Because you are the one who kept throwing it in your arguments. I don’t even know what it means. Explain.
According to the above act, Marriage abandonment is a crime against marriage, whereas divorce is not a crime. grin

4 Likes

Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by LilMissFavvy(f): 9:50pm On Dec 22, 2022
Three year jail term is not good enough. It should have been a longer jail sentence. Jail them bastarrds...

2 Likes

Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by brain54(m): 9:50pm On Dec 22, 2022
Kobojunkie:
According to the above act, Marriage abandonment is a crime against marriage, whereas divorce is not a crime. grin
I sopose use koboko wire you…

Is this soposed to be a definition?

2 Likes

Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by Kobojunkie: 9:55pm On Dec 22, 2022
brain54:
I sopose use koboko wire you…Is this soposed to be a definition?
Look, I grew up with many of my peers living in single-parent homes because one of the parents up and left them, abandoned them. I saw it happen over and over — enough times to cause me to realize that this was a cultural norm of sorts — so, if you are, in this day and age, asking me to define what is an obvious problem where marriage is concerned in Nigeria, then I can't help you at all. undecided

4 Likes

Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by brain54(m): 9:57pm On Dec 22, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Look, I grew up with many of my peers living in single-parent homes because one of the parents up and left them, abandoned them. I saw it happen over and over — enough times to cause me to realize that this was a cultural norm of sorts — so, if you are, in this day and age, asking me to define what is an obvious problem where marriage is concerned in Nigeria, then I can't help you at all. undecided
Aunty pls differentiate both in clear terms.

I ask humbly.

1 Like

Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by Kobojunkie: 10:00pm On Dec 22, 2022
brain54:
Aunty pls differentiate both in clear terms.I ask humbly.
Read again
Kobojunkie:
In Nigeria, it is not unusual for a man or woman to abandon the immediate family and move on. Indeed, it is becoming a normal occurrence for a spouse especially the man, to abandon his responsibilities in the home and abscond in order to move in with another lover or even to an entirely unknown place to avoid responsibilities.
And then from Oxford languages
di·vorce
the legal dissolution of a marriage by a court or other competent body.

4 Likes

Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by brain54(m): 10:02pm On Dec 22, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Read again And then from Oxford languages
So we can both agree abandonment is an informal way of divorce?
Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by Kobojunkie: 10:04pm On Dec 22, 2022
brain54:
So we can both agree abandonment is an informal way of divorce?
Well, duh! shocked

It is a fraud as the law states and has been so since the time of your ancestors, only now the law recognizes it as such and intends to treat it as exactly that too. grin

4 Likes

Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by brain54(m): 10:07pm On Dec 22, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Well, duh! shocked
Lol…

So why have you been throwing it in to suit your argument? When obviously they is no difference? Eh… madam? Because you like to argue? Bringing in technicalities to your arguments?

Duhhh!!!
Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by Kobojunkie: 10:08pm On Dec 22, 2022
brain54:
Lol… So why have you been throwing it in to suit your argument? When obviously they is no difference? Eh… madam? Because you like to argue? Bringing in technicalities to your arguments?
Oh, now that you finally see it for what it is you suddenly pretend you always have? undecided

Your ancestors committed fraud when they abandoned their wives in marriage, but, fortunately, the law has caught up to that and now criminalizes the act as it ought to have. undecided

5 Likes

Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by ahnie: 10:11pm On Dec 22, 2022
And Zonefree hasn't seen this thread?

2 Likes

Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by brain54(m): 10:11pm On Dec 22, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Oh, now that you finally see it for what it is you suddenly pretend you always have? undecided

Your ancestors committed fraud when they abandoned their wives in marriage, but fortunately, the law has caught up to that and now criminalizes the act as it ought to have. undecided
Hahaha… I don laugh tire here!
I floored you. Confess it stubborn woman. I don lape you tire. Through your anu!
Admit it!
Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by Kobojunkie: 10:13pm On Dec 22, 2022
brain54:
Hahaha… I don laugh tire here! I floored you. Confess it stubborn woman. I don lape you tire. Through your anu! Admit it!
I should admit that I am saying here what I have been saying to you on another thread. Sure! This can be clearly seen at the following link - https://www.nairaland.com/7492477/wife-does-everything-tell-then#119355091 undecided

How that means you floored me or that I am a stubborn person... I have no clue at all. undecided

5 Likes

Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by brain54(m): 10:16pm On Dec 22, 2022
Kobojunkie:
I should admit that I am saying here what I have been saying to you on another thread. Sure! undecided

How that means you floored me or that I am a stubborn person... I have no clue at all. undecided
You have been changing your mouth. To suit your argument. Your hydra headed arguments. Your argument no Dey finish o!

1 Like

Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by Perez99: 10:50pm On Dec 22, 2022
Jennyclay:
The so called "head of family" should come and open this thread and learn something meaningful.
Some men would run away from their responsibilities and leave the financial burden on the woman alone.

Sometimes I really hope FG could sign a law stating broke men should stay far away from marriage/relationships and he would be sentenced to 5 years in jail for breaking the law.
I pity any man that will get an inch close to you not to talk of getting married to you.
The last time I checked, women were given two hands and two legs and a brain just like men, abi women dey forbid to make money? You reek of entitlement mentality.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by Idaytesj29(m): 10:55pm On Dec 22, 2022
JASONjnr:

It's no problem, men will not get married anymore.
Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by Zonefree(m): 10:58pm On Dec 22, 2022
ahnie:
And Zonefree hasn't seen this thread?
Merry Christmas Annabel.
Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by culf: 10:59pm On Dec 22, 2022
Awesome! This one sweet me well.
Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by culf: 11:04pm On Dec 22, 2022
Jennyclay:

stop twisting things, abandoning family has nothing to do with brokeness.

3 Likes

Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by ahnie: 4:29am On Dec 23, 2022
Zonefree:

Merry Christmas Annabel.
Same to you igbokwe.
Re: Abandon Your Spouse, Go To Jail For Three Years! by Mercury12(m): 4:38am On Dec 23, 2022
Well a man should have it at the back of his mind that a women he have sex with are likely to get pregnant. . . undecided

There is absolutely no need to act surprise and abandon the pregnancy or responsibilities for the baby.
If as a man and you felt the pregnancy might not be yours then opt in for a DNA test.

I see no reason why a man should abandon his responsibilities

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Wife Slept With Our Neighbour / Please Mothers,i Need Your Advice Urgently Pls / Happy Birthday In Arrears To Me.... (with Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.